Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm more offended by how bad the poetry is than the ideology of the poem.

Like whoever wrote that shouldn't be allowed to use words.

That's the aftermath series in a nutshell. It's shiiiiiit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ShineDog posted:

I read a review of the latest one that said "each aftermath book is better than the previous." If that's the case, then the judging by the quality of this one, the first one must have been written by Charlie from Always Sunny.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I read a review of the latest one that said "each aftermath book is better than the previous." If that's the case, then the judging by the quality of this one, the first one must have been written by Charlie from Always Sunny.

That first Aftermath book was really bad. Second one was better, but still poo poo.

Like, I'll read the third, because I like some of the characters he's introduced. But the writing is awful.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

However, I can't for the life of me understand why Disney decided to abandon Lucas' movie title naming convention and replace it with the boring boilerplate titles that we're getting in the new movies. I'm just floored that no one at any time during production pointed out that "The [insert whatever] Awakens" and "The Last [whatever]" is bog-standard movie naming.

George Lucas made the Star Wars movies that George Lucas wanted to make. Disney bought the franchise to make the Star Wars movies that the Star Wars fans want Disney to make.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Star Wars and the Kingdom of the Jedi Skull

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Star Wars Episode X: The Fifty-Foot Droid

(translated as "The Fifteen-Meter Droid" in most countries)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

-Blackadder- posted:

I haven't really been following the new series' production too closely but I heard a while back that the title for episode VIII is going to be "The Last Jedi" and I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough. I actually appreciate that Lucas sold the property to Disney because it means we're going to be getting a lot of new Star Wars movies in the future, and that's something that it really didn't seem like Lucas had his heart in doing anymore.

However, I can't for the life of me understand why Disney decided to abandon Lucas' movie title naming convention and replace it with the boring boilerplate titles that we're getting in the new movies. I'm just floored that no one at any time during production pointed out that "The [insert whatever] Awakens" and "The Last [whatever]" is bog-standard movie naming.

I look forward to future Star Wars movies having awesome titles like "Star Wars IX: Jedi Origins", Star Wars XI: Sith Apocalypse" and Star Wars X: Jedi on the Loose". Lucas's naming convention for the Star Wars movies may have been co-opted from old Flash Gordon serials or whatever but it had a purpose that fit the movies well and in modern times it stood out and seemed interesting. "The Empire Strikes Back. The Phantom Menace", those were actually catchy titles, and they played well. On the other hand, with Disney now in charge, I wouldn't be surprised if I heard the name for the last planned movie in the series was going to be something like "Star Wars XX: Jedi vs Sith: The Final Chapter".

Attack of the Clones was and still is a terrible title.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Star Wars has had at least as many bad titles as it has good ones, and really the title is the dumbest thing to get worked up over imo

But apparently in other languages "The Last Jedi" is explicitly plural, so that's interesting

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzz posted:

Attack of the Clones was and still is a terrible title.

I mean sure the clones are only deployed in a rescue mission during the film, but it's a good title.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Attack of the Clones is actually a really good and snappy title, and you're letting your disappointment with the final product color your opinion.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

ShineDog posted:

It should be retconned as the only surviving work by the one known Vogan Jedi.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

I read that as Bogan Jedi and I think that makes it actually make more sense.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Hodgepodge posted:

Vogon. VOGON.

Right after they bulldozed Korriban for being a useless shithole of Sith buggery.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Aftermath: The Vengeful Fist of Denim Chicken.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The finest bantha milksteak.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Cover me, I'm going into the crevice!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Attack of the Clones is actually a really good and snappy title, and you're letting your disappointment with the final product color your opinion.

This, as much as I hate Attack of the Clones even before the movie came out people were saying the title is dumb and I just don't get that. It's not any different from Return of the Jedi or The Empire Strikes Back. ESB's original trailers and teasers even have the exact same presentation as the Clone Wars series with the old timey news reel voice over ranting about war and adventures and stuff.

But dang I can't stand that movie. It has so much going on in it and looks awesome and had the potential to be the best of those six movies, but the script is just so stupid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"Luke, watch out! It's the Bounty Hunter known as Haz Wu'rm Haet!!!"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neo Rasa posted:

But dang I can't stand that movie. It has so much going on in it and looks awesome and had the potential to be the best of those six movies, but the script is just so stupid.

I wouldn't say the script in general so much as the dialog in specific. None of Lucas's Star Wars films have strong dialog (although some strong performances mitigate this) but it's much more of a weakness in AotC because it relies more heavily on it than the other films.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

homullus posted:

George Lucas made the Star Wars movies that George Lucas wanted to make. Disney bought the franchise to make the Star Wars movies that the Star Wars fans want Disney to make.

lol if you think the Original Trilogy were the movies that Lucas wanted to make

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Luke was a 15 year old girl with a crush on the near geriatric Kenobi/Solo character. Zazzle Moonbreaker.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

BarronsArtGallery posted:

lol if you think the Original Trilogy were the movies that Lucas wanted to make

i half-remember a quote where someone working on ANH asked him why he was supposedly starting halfway through a nine-movie series and he said the middle section was "more commercial". I wouldn't take everything he says at face value but yes, it seems like he deliberately set out to make the movies he knew would be crowd-pleasers to help build support for the rest.

it's interesting because i saw a snippet from an interview in one of BadMouseProduction's videos recently where Lucas discusses how when he talked with Soviet filmmakers, they arguably had more freedom than he did, because while they couldn't criticise the government they also didn't have to make films to turn profits.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I can't find where this information originally comes from, but this is a rundown of Lucas' earliest ideas for Star Wars.

Turns out the movie he wanted to make was The Phantom Menace all along.

quote:

In the earliest notes for the Journal of the Whills version of ANH, the Galactic Empire is ruled by "Emperor Ford Xerxes XII" or "Alexander Xerxes XII." This is a clear homage to Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV Corrino from Frank Herbert's Dune. Presumably, like Shaddam IV, Ford/Alexander Xerxes XII was the heir to a long-standing dynasty of hereditary Galactic Emperors. (Worth noting is that it's rumored in the novel that Shaddam had his own father assassinated in order to succeed to the throne... perhaps the Galactic Emperor was to be similarly ruthless?)

Besides the Galactic Empire, there was also to be an Alliance of Independent Systems, whose Chairman employed the Jedi-Bendu master Mace Windy. (The Jedi-Templers were trained at an "Intersystems Academy" and accepted new recruits at least up to age 16.) Here we have the root of the later notion of a Galactic Republic employing a Jedi Order. However, in this version of the story the Empire and the Alliance exist side by side, like America and the Soviet Union during the height of the Cold War. The Alliance was no doubt an association of planetary systems banded together to resist the powerful Galactic Empire.

The central conflict in the movie would begin when a "Border System" of the planet Aquilae (that is, a puppet state of the Empire) invaded and seized planetary territory that rightfully belonged to Aquilae. Two Jedi, Mace Windy and his apprentice C2 Thorpe, would be charged by the Alliance Chairman with working clandestinely (to avoid the Galactic Cold War turning hot) in order to protect Aquilae and expel the armies of the Border System.

Aquilae, whose human inhabitants are called "Bebers," was ruled by a Beber King--Lord Annakin Starkiller--and it's his heir, Prince Luke Skywalker, who must be protected. (It's the first occurrence of "Annakin" as the father of "Luke.") The conflict requires the Jedi and the Beber leaders to ally themselves with the downtrodden Hubble people of the planet, most likely an alien race, led by Han Solo. (Yes, Han Solo actually began life as Jar Jar Binks!) This summary of course indicates the existence of a feudal planetary aristocracy, an element drawn from Dune and Flash Gordon in equal measure.

Although this plot is the original germ of the TPM invasion of Naboo by the Trade Federation, it's also meant as a parallel to Vietnam--we see the peaceful North Vietnamese (Aquilae) being invaded by an aggressive South (the Border System), backed by the totalitarian might of the American Empire. (This is of course the vision of a young and politically radical Lucas in the 1970s.) It additionally bears resemblance to the plan of House Harkonnen in Dune, who invaded Arrakis (controlled by House Atreides) with the Padishah Emperor's connivance and secret aid.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lol @ Mace Windy and Beibers.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

ungulateman posted:

I wouldn't take everything he says at face value but yes, it seems like he deliberately set out to make the movies he knew would be crowd-pleasers to help build support for the rest.

you're speaking in very vague terms

he wanted to make Han Solo a 8ft reptilian or some poo poo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I can't believe George Lucas went through a number of ideas and drafts for the story he was writing, what a loving hack.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

The earlier drafts of star wars all seem like something that would make for a great animated picture by Rene Laloux or a comic by Moebius.

Basically the sort of thing that would best be enjoyed while smoking weed.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

thrawn527 posted:

That first Aftermath book was really bad. Second one was better, but still poo poo.

Like, I'll read the third, because I like some of the characters he's introduced. But the writing is awful.
Star Wars Fans read Aftermath so you don't have to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90VzgtNXPSs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Star Wars Fans read Aftermath so you don't have to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90VzgtNXPSs

I would rather read the books than watch this video. And that's saying a lot.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

:shrek::shrek::shrek::shrek::shrek::shrek::shrek::shrek::shrek::shrek::shrek::shrek::shrek::shrek:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol:

So bad.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

this one is a legit good idea tho

yes i watched it

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Leaks from the Disney shareholders conference, where they apparently showed some footage.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/03/details-on-the-last-jedi-footage-shown-at-disneys-shareholder-meeting-luke-to-rey-who-are-you.html

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Per StarWarsNewsNet, Endor, Tatooine and Mustafar will be making a return in the sequel trilogy. There's a lot of weird caveats about this, so just read here:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/03/three-classic-planets-will-be-seen-again-in-the-star-wars-sequel-trilogy.html

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'll be interesting to see the rebuilt Endor 30+ years after The Catastrophe.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
So it's called the forest moon of endor. Does that make the forest place endor or is endor the actual planet? Like our moon is the moon of Earth, or the Earth's moon. Also where is the planet cuz the moon looked pretty freakin big...

Just asking questions here

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

According to canon, Endor is a gas giant. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Endor_(planet)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Teek posted:

Per StarWarsNewsNet, Endor, Tatooine and Mustafar will be making a return in the sequel trilogy. There's a lot of weird caveats about this, so just read here:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/03/three-classic-planets-will-be-seen-again-in-the-star-wars-sequel-trilogy.html

Ugh we really don't need to rehash old locations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ugh we really don't need to rehash old locations.

I think it was leaked that Episode 8 is going to have a handful of flashback scenes. Maybe that's why we're going to see those locations again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

teagone posted:

I think it was leaked that Episode 8 is going to have a handful of flashback scenes. Maybe that's why we're going to see those locations again.

Nooooooooooooo

• Locked thread