Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I am weird and can't get into stranger things at all.

Also, Bloodline season 1 is a decent drama I found.

EDIT: Also both seasons of Grace and Frankie, but that might be because it seriously reminds me of my mother, her best friend, the circumstances and that like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bicyclops posted:

Black Mirror's third season is as good as its first two and, of course, if you're into Arrested Development, Netflix is where season 4 lives. I think it was okay, and I liked it better on a second viewing.

Oh, that reminds me -- and this is kind of a bold statement, but drat the consequences.

I think Black Mirror's "San Junipero," while not at all representative of the series as a whole, is one of the best sci-fi stories ever, and you can only watch it on Netflix.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Lady Dynamite is pretty good if you like Maria Bamford's comedy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DivisionPost posted:

Oh, that reminds me -- and this is kind of a bold statement, but drat the consequences.

I think Black Mirror's "San Junipero," while not at all representative of the series as a whole, is one of the best sci-fi stories ever, and you can only watch it on Netflix.

Don't think it's that bold a statement, I think it's almost universally agreed that it's the best or at least top 3 of the season. :)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Medullah posted:

Don't think it's that bold a statement, I think it's almost universally agreed that it's the best or at least top 3 of the season. :)

Yeah, but see, it's one thing to say "best of that season," it's another thing to say "Time Enough at Last, City on the Edge of Forever, San Junipero."

And those are limited to episodes of TV, I'm talking the whole loving shebang -- which, I rationalize, is insane for what boils down to a relatively straightforward love story. But every time I watch it I think, "Yeah, wow, this is tight, elegant, and EXTREMELY well-acted," and rationale goes right out the window.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 24, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Ah, I'm with you though. I cried like a wee baby. Then went on a crusade to get other people to watch the show. "Watch San Junipero first, and then Shut Up and Dance after. You'll go to bed feeling so warm and happy!"

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm so going to have episodes running in the background in the lead-up. Let's bump up the numbers!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

Oh yeah, I liked that. I tried to watch the Will Arnett one that was just depressing. Flaked, I think? I couldn't get past the second episode.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
For a Netflix recommendation, if you just want something slow moving and calm, I'd suggest Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories. It's a slice of life series set around a Japanese eatery that opens at midnight with the focus on the customers that come in to eat Japanese comfort food (it's got English subtitles too).

It's based on an award-winning manga and it had a three season drama and a movie in Japan and there's even a Korean version of Midnight Diner.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 25, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I've seen Zombie Nightmare before, but I had forgotten it had John Mikl Thor, star of Rifftrax favorite Rock n Roll Nightmare. It even has music by his dumb loving band.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

rydiafan posted:

Theme Song Lyrics

I think it'll be more based on the Mike version:

In the not-too-distant future
Way up on Moon 13
Ms Forrester and Son of Frank restarted an evil scheme
They lured a guy by the name of Jo(nah)
Just a regular schmoe they didn't know(nah)
Their experiment needed a good test case
So they stole his ship and shot him into space

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I've gone on about this in at least one other thread, but Manos would be way less clunky if they hadn't made their dubbing job as hard as possible for themselves by almost ALWAYS pointing the camera at who's talking. There are plenty of shoestring movies from that era with no location sound and something they have in common is that their most cinematically engaging scenes happen when they're trying to minimize the need for lip sync and so they put the camera anywhere but in the face of an actor delivering a line.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A lot of amateur filmmakers recognise shot-reverse shot as a technique, but not the nuances of it, and where it's not appropriate. (And some, like James Nguyen, have no idea how to mix sound from location shooting to allow ADR.)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Time Dissolver posted:

I've gone on about this in at least one other thread, but Manos would be way less clunky if they hadn't made their dubbing job as hard as possible for themselves by almost ALWAYS pointing the camera at who's talking. There are plenty of shoestring movies from that era with no location sound and something they have in common is that their most cinematically engaging scenes happen when they're trying to minimize the need for lip sync and so they put the camera anywhere but in the face of an actor delivering a line.

Like the great The Beast of Yucca Flats.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Medullah posted:

Ah, I'm with you though. I cried like a wee baby. Then went on a crusade to get other people to watch the show. "Watch San Junipero first, and then Shut Up and Dance after. You'll go to bed feeling so warm and happy!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk0i0yTPJBY&t=79s

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I have the strangest feeling, like I just watched Laserblast for a second time. I don't recall ever seeing it before, and nothing stood out to me while watching it, but afterward everything seems like it was vaguely familiar, like I saw it 10 years ago while ill and half conscious or something.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I have the strangest feeling, like I just watched Laserblast for a second time. I don't recall ever seeing it before, and nothing stood out to me while watching it, but afterward everything seems like it was vaguely familiar, like I saw it 10 years ago while ill and half conscious or something.

The question isn't if you've seen Laser Blast before my friend

The question is as simple as it is timeless

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!?!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
The actress who plays Debbie in Manos is the daughter, not grand daughter, of the actor who plays the Master. She got the best wages out of any of the cast, being given a bicycle for her contributions. The actress wrote a book about the entire experience which is a fun read!

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
After the latest update from Joel I have a question for the people that saw the first episode that I don't think would violate the NDA. How do they deal with 20,000 names in the credits? Do they fly by and are they before or after the stinger?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

They're split up between the 14 episodes, and appear pre-stinger.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 24, 2017

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
I figured they'd do something like that, thanks. I hope I get a good episode!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've seen Zombie Nightmare before, but I had forgotten it had John Mikl Thor, star of Rifftrax favorite Rock n Roll Nightmare. It even has music by his dumb loving band.

At least Zombie Nightmare's twist was properly foreshadowed.

Goddamn, the last ten minutes of Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare will haunt me until I die.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Breadallelogram posted:

Also Mary Jo is in it for like 5 seconds.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Burkion posted:

The question isn't if you've seen Laser Blast before my friend

The question is as simple as it is timeless

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!?!

I should've seen that coming.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Thank you all for the Netflix recommendations! I didn't realize they carry so much good stuff.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

John Murdoch posted:

Arrested Development Season 4? :corsair:

Hey, it has Joel and Trace cameoing!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Hey, it has Joel and Trace cameoing!

I'd forgotten about that. I thought at first they had repurposed some old riffs onto the fake movie, but nope, it's really Joel and Trace, stopping in for a quick cameo.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

Honestly I had that same thought but about Shut Up and Dance instead.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Girl in Gold Boots, the Girl in Lover's Lane, Hercules Unchained, and Hercules and the Captive Women have been added to the VHX collection for Kickstarter backers.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

all-Rush mixtape posted:

The Girl in Gold Boots, the Girl in Lover's Lane, Hercules Unchained, and Hercules and the Captive Women have been added to the VHX collection for Kickstarter backers.

Awesome, thanks for posting that here! I found them at this link: https://mst3k.vhx.tv/products/bonus-episodes-level-2

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Honestly I had that same thought but about Shut Up and Dance instead.
This, but the episode "White Bear". (Also one of the most hosed up episodes of anything I've ever seen.)

My wife and I decided to have an MST3k premiere party for release weekend. I don't know how many of our friends actually know/like the show, so it might just be us eating pizza rolls and drinking cheap wine and laughing our asses off. Oh well!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

This, but the episode "White Bear". (Also one of the most hosed up episodes of anything I've ever seen.)

My wife and I decided to have an MST3k premiere party for release weekend. I don't know how many of our friends actually know/like the show, so it might just be us eating pizza rolls and drinking cheap wine and laughing our asses off. Oh well!

Supreme or Deluxe, and which wine goes best with each?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I sort of wish they'd let Pearl riff a few more times.

e: also, David Warner is such a good actor and he has so much screentime that Delta Knights has a pretty watchable intro.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 25, 2017

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

remusclaw posted:

Supreme or Deluxe, and which wine goes best with each?

Red wine for Joel, blue wine for Mike.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

I sort of wish they'd let Pearl riff a few more times.

Mary Jo has actually teamed up with Bridget Nelson and they've been putting out stuff for Rifftrax.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Just a heads up, there's a new Kickstarter update that corrects the date for the first episode backer stream. It's on April 9th (Sunday) rather than the originally-announced date of the 8th. The other dates (for the full-season streaming and download access) are still correct.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I'm actually really excited for this. When I was a kid, my mom was in a bowling league and went out on Thursday night with her girlfriends. My dad would pick my brother and I up after school, take us to McDonald's for dinner, and then we would go home and eat McDs while watching MST3K. For years, that was our ritual.

He backed the Kickstarter, and you could just see the joy in his face when he talked about the show. Unfortunately, he died a year ago today due to complications from lymphoma. It's been a hard week, but getting to see the screenshot on Felicia's Twitter and then the little preview trailer have been amazing. I'm super pumped for this, and if for no other reason, I'm gonna watch the hell out of this for my dad.

(Sorry for getting a little E/N)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Holy smokes, I'd forgotten how MST3K-level awkward the Joel reunion segments were. It's like he's completely forgotten how to be on camera and does everything he can to look away from it. I don't know if he just felt kind of emotional and distracted about coming back or what, but it's definitely weird.

I like him tinkering with things and helping them, but something about the whole "Well, I could take you back with me, but I don't want to, this place made a man out of me" feels really un-Joel. Like, 90 percent of the time, when MST3K takes a long trip just for a cheap joke and a way out of explaining something, it's fine, but for something like this, you really want a sweet little re-visit to the character. I remembered loving it back in 1999 when I first saw it, but on a rewatch, TV's Frank is a way better cameo.

None of that's to say anything negative about Joel, who has done an absolutely incredible job at the herculean task of resurrecting the puppet comedy show in front of old films while making it updated and fun and without severely upsetting (most) of the very opinionated fans. The dude wrote with Seinfeld, was almost in Cheers, and gave up a film role to do an extremely experimental cable TV show. He created something pretty unique that was way ahead of its time in layering content on top of content, and on a rewatch, he's my favorite host and I'm glad he's the one running the Kickstarter, but, uh... his cameo...

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
He still had some pretty bad blood with Mallon at the time, didn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

DivisionPost posted:

He still had some pretty bad blood with Mallon at the time, didn't he?

Wired did a really good oral history of MST3K a few years ago, where Kevin (I think it was him) said he never thought Joel and Jim liked each other, and Joel went on to say Jim's insistence on directing the movie was the straw that broke the camel's back.