Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Two Finger posted:

Was me3 this prone to crashing? I've had three today on bone

I don't recall any ctd type crashes in ME3, but I've had 3 ctds on the PC today. It's a bit weird, because I had none during the trial and none in the last three days - maybe something about their servers is causing it? Or just some corrupted files that build up over time? Does Origin have a "verify files" feature like steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I haven't had any CTDs, but I have had a whole lot of getting booted to the main menu and connectivity issues.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I haven't had any CTDs, but I have had a whole lot of getting booted to the main menu and connectivity issues.

Same. Bone is borderline unplayable because who wants to put the effort in if it's a crapshoot on whether or not you'll get anything for it :saddowns:

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

I've probably crashed 6 or so times in the past 24 hours. At first I thought it was a vanguard issue, what with the darting around and all, but it did it on my krogan sentinel and turian soldier.

I just want my loving krogan gladiator...

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sending my dudes on golds cause I'm out of bronze missions to send them on :(

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Finally got a X character to level 20, and can confirm that you get 85 skill points at level 20 (enough for 6/6/6/6/1). I think rank I characters only get 62 skill points at level 20 (so 6/6/5/2/1), but I haven't leveled a rank I character to 20 to confirm.

Alteisen posted:

I'm sending my dudes on golds cause I'm out of bronze missions to send them on :(

Don't do that, they'll just get negative traits and become permanently worse! Found that out the hard way... :gonk:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stickman posted:

Finally got a X character to level 20, and can confirm that you get 85 skill points at level 20 (enough for 6/6/6/6/1). I think rank I characters only get 62 skill points at level 20 (so 6/6/5/2/1), but I haven't leveled a rank I character to 20 to confirm.

Don't do that, they'll just get negative traits and become permanently worse! Found that out the hard way... :gonk:

Its like I'm really playing Darkest Dungeon.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
well I can't go full evil, but strip mining the angaran's home system is pretty fun nonetheless

e: whoops meant to post this in the main thread

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A few disconnects and 2 crashes on PC here since the 10-hour trial first became available, and my CPU is well under the minimum requirements too. Hasn't been unreasonable at all. Sounds like it's a much bigger problem on consoles or perhaps certain hardware.

One small audio thing that could be improved is the reload sounds need to be much louder with some weapons (katana is a good example). In ME3 reloading had really distinctive sounds with a good smoke particle effect, whereas here I sometimes don't even notice the animations and sounds. Lag also makes it really vague when reloading is actually done and it's safe to sprint again--the ammo number kinda jiggles between 0 and max for a second before it settles.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
Human Female Vanguard entirely specced for melee damage boosts is amazing. I picked up the Juggernaut shield today after getting ME:A yesterday, and charging everywhere and punching things still is not old at level 16 (no xp boosts).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
8% chance of success and they did it, holy poo poo.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

A Single Sphink posted:

I've probably crashed 6 or so times in the past 24 hours. At first I thought it was a vanguard issue, what with the darting around and all, but it did it on my krogan sentinel and turian soldier.

I just want my loving krogan gladiator...

I've crashed only when joining public matches, is that part of it? When I do privates with my friends I never do. First quick join I finally do, I crash after one wave.

So I finally soloed the easiest possible bronze, with my starter classes (hot female inf) and raptor, so I finally felt competent enough to step into public stuff. This takes some getting used to after ME3, where everything was more "sticky" and you could circle-kite in most maps pretty well, but now that I'm understanding this game more, I think every single MP change they made was great. Like, okay, femryder looks like a chipmunk and Addison talks like she doesn't realize she has clown makeup on, but the actual multiplayer changes are all good. The verticality dramatically improves ME3 combat and is a good design decision; the ammo chests being subdivided and per-person is a good design decision; respec being easily purchasable (instead of reliant on RNG, and limited) is a good design decision. Now that I'm familiar with it I like literally all of it.

oh this is a burger king drive thru? ok sry

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Connection dropped on wave 5 of a gold solo.

gently caress you too game. gently caress. You.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Skippy McPants posted:

Connection dropped on wave 5 of a gold solo.

gently caress you too game. gently caress. You.

How are you soloing gold this early?? legit question, i dont know how goons connote earnestness

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

anime tupac posted:

How are you soloing gold this early?? legit question, i dont know how goons connote earnestness

Can't speak for him, but this guy on reddit soloed gold with the angara avenger, using this build. Stealth grid skill seems fairly insane...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

anime tupac posted:

The Agaran Avenger is broken. Zero cooldown stealth and high burst damage. Kill everything.

Edit: I also think that reddit build is slightly off. Better to split some points between Grid and Sticky Grenade. The fact that you can throw your Grenades without breaking stealth is pretty busted.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 24, 2017

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Hm. It looks like mp hosts can mod their games. I joined a random bronze and my vanquisher had 99 rounds and instantly refilled when I fired. Shields also instantly filled to full when any damage was taken.

Be interesting to see if there's any ~consequences~ for 'Amak33'... He was using the Isharay and autofiring it.

e. Yep. I hosted a private solo match to test... infinite ammo/health for anything you want. Looks like their 'solution' of p2p hosting may bite them in the rear end. That explains the 'custom gold matches' I saw advertised somewhere.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 24, 2017

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Goddamn the Turian soldier is so good, using a widow/revenant load-out with him and he just wrecks.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think they really messed up the balance for any class with Power Cell abilities. The Avenger is the worst offender since she has two on top of a solid mobility/cc power, but anyone else with stuff like Stealth Grid, Sticky/Frag Grenade benefits. Because ammo crates are personal and not team use this time around, you can easily spam without fear of ever depleting all the Cells on the map. As a result, the only "cooldown" on the powers is the time it takes to run from one ammo crate to another.

And again, the fact that you can Grenade while stealthed is just hilarious. I've cleared entire waves without ever leave stealth. If you unlock the Avenger, enjoy it while you can. No way in hell her kit goes unnerfed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Honestly it seems like they have completely hosed the balance altogether. From memory the only really broken class in me3 was saleng and that was very situational.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Two Finger posted:

Honestly it seems like they have completely hosed the balance altogether. From memory the only really broken class in me3 was saleng and that was very situational.

Weapon tuning is also off. SMGs and Sniper Rifles are fine, but Shotties and ARs both do pitiful damage. Over it's not toooo bad, and it's still a ton of fun. They just need to roll out a few balance patches to smooth out the bumps.

Edit: Also, I'm doing Gold runs for the next couple hours. Feel free to join me if you're half way decent, Nim998 on Oirgin.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 24, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It just seems to me like the enemies are far tougher than they should be. Two blasts with my Dhan only drops a Mook if they are both head shots. Fully evolved biotic charge doesn't even strip half a mooks health. A whole clip from an AR to kill a Mook seems too much. A biotic explosion isn't the big deal it used to be. Do they even do splash damage?

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014
The new cover system rocks, finally game developers have figured out how to implement it without being a horrible clunky mess. Overall tacticoolness is much improved too - shoulder swapping, using grenades to flush enemies out of cover and abilities to buy yourself time to get to your next position - everything just clicks.
But the goddamn bullet sponges ruin everything. Who cares if your decision was tactically right if the basic shieldless enemy footsoldier takes a whole AR magazine to kill?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Two Finger posted:

It just seems to me like the enemies are far tougher than they should be. Two blasts with my Dhan only drops a Mook if they are both head shots. Fully evolved biotic charge doesn't even strip half a mooks health. A whole clip from an AR to kill a Mook seems too much. A biotic explosion isn't the big deal it used to be. Do they even do splash damage?

the Dhan is a shotgun, and shotguns are real bad currently. Get a good SMG; the Charger is the best common one. Biotic Charge is less potent than in ME 3 because it doesn't prime anymore so you can't do Charge>Nova anymore for a quick combo.

As for combos themselves, remember that they have a damage multiplier based on difficulty. They do pisspoor DPS on bronze,, but much better in Silver and Gold.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Silver seems a good spot right now with enemies that are easy to kill if you're careful but if you get lazy or dumb even basic Chosen will gently caress you up. Can't imagine how hard Gold/Platinum are though.

Like a lot of stuff feels unbalanced.

Skippy McPants posted:

As for combos themselves, remember that they have a damage multiplier based on difficulty. They do pisspoor DPS on bronze,, but much better in Silver and Gold.
Interesting. Sounds like Bronze/Silver are for pubbing and Gold/Plat require actual team-building and communication?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Silver can suck too since pubbies still think it's Cool and Good to go in as a level 1 with a predator 1.

Also, in general, gently caress the Khett. They're way harder than the other two factions

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pierson posted:

Interesting. Sounds like Bronze/Silver are for pubbing and Gold/Plat require actual team-building and communication?

Bronze and Silver are both puggable, provided you're playing a decent class and have a few levels under your belt. I'd only pug gold right now if you're playing one of the OP classes and are confident in your ability to carry.

Edit: You also get looong queue times in gold, because the game is still so new. It helps a lot if you're playing something that can solo the first couple waves while you wait for people to join in.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 24, 2017

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Skippy McPants posted:

Bronze and Silver are both puggable, provided you're playing a decent class and have a few levels under your belt. I'd only pug gold right now if you're playing one of the OP classes and are confident in your ability to carry.

Is there a list somewhere of what those 'op classes' are and why they are so op?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ambaire posted:

Is there a list somewhere of what those 'op classes' are and why they are so op?

The short version is "does this class have Stealth Grid?" because access to a stealth with zero cooldown is broken. That's only two classes right now: the unquenchable murder vortex that is the Angaran Avenger, and the somewhat more reasonable Asari Huntress. Either one can move and act pretty much at will, even staying invisible for 100% of the match if they really wanted to. This is priceless in pugs because it means you can complete objectives, revive teammates, or just do whatever. The world is your oyster. The Infiltrators (human or salarian) can manage a budget version of this with Tactical Cloak, but because you're bound by the cooldown you have to be a lot, lot more catious.

Below the stealth classes are the high impact damage characters. Stuff like the Human Kineticist, Asari Duelist, Asari Adept, Krogan Vanguard, or Krogan Mercenary. Anyone who's either got high damage baked into their kit, or is tanky enough to just stand there and dump thermal clips while in full view. You can output enough damage to make up for awful pugs, but without stealth you're always going to be somewhat at their mercy when it comes to clearing objectives.

Honorable mention for the Angara Insurgent. He's not very good in pugs, but he's got the best kit with Shield Boost which makes him a stellar team player.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

God drat it I just bought another away team before reading the thread

Same.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

anime tupac posted:

I've crashed only when joining public matches, is that part of it? When I do privates with my friends I never do. First quick join I finally do, I crash after one wave.

Unfortunately, I have crashed in an invite only match, so it's not that.

Last night I got the first enemy of wave 1 in my crosshairs and crashed. I about flipped a table.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

The short version is "does this class have Stealth Grid?" because access to a stealth with zero cooldown is broken. That's only two classes right now: the unquenchable murder vortex that is the Angaran Avenger, and the somewhat more reasonable Asari Huntress. Either one can move and act pretty much at will, even staying invisible for 100% of the match if they really wanted to. This is priceless in pugs because it means you can complete objectives, revive teammates, or just do whatever. The world is your oyster. The Infiltrators (human or salarian) can manage a budget version of this with Tactical Cloak, but because you're bound by the cooldown you have to be a lot, lot more catious.

Below the stealth classes are the high impact damage characters. Stuff like the Human Kineticist, Asari Duelist, Asari Adept, Krogan Vanguard, or Krogan Mercenary. Anyone who's either got high damage baked into their kit, or is tanky enough to just stand there and dump thermal clips while in full view. You can output enough damage to make up for awful pugs, but without stealth you're always going to be somewhat at their mercy when it comes to clearing objectives.

Honorable mention for the Angara Insurgent. He's not very good in pugs, but he's got the best kit with Shield Boost which makes him a stellar team player.

Honorable mention for Turian Soldier with a Raptor/Revenant. I'm not sure how well the hover defense boosts work on the Turian Havoc Trooper on Silver/Gold, but there's a class that never has to worry about Adhi/Wraiths. Also maybe the Asari Sentinel stands a fighting chance, but she's not really a solo type of class.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

Silver can suck too since pubbies still think it's Cool and Good to go in as a level 1 with a predator 1.

Also, in general, gently caress the Khett. They're way harder than the other two factions

This is definitely true on bronze. It wouldn't surprise me if the balance swung around toward remnant being hardest on gold, but right now it feels about twice as hard anytime the kett are the enemy. They're the new collectors (although still not quite as terrible as they were).

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Second disconnect in gold today. They need to fix dis poo poo.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Probably throw my name on the name pile. PC, origin name is GenericStupidID. I'm bad at the game and life and will probably end up being that rear end in a top hat who died in the farthest corner of the map.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
I got a vanquisher early on and the Havoc dude, has been really fun. Find a nice point where you can jump and float and see most everything and just snipe away. Started dying more against the kett on gold, mostly because it's hard to just lay into the invisible assholes when you can't pinpoint their head, but I still feel really useful vs mercs and remnant.

Do most people have success vs the quicktime events where the dogs or robots bite your arm? Normally it shows a key to press, or whatever. I can't seem to do it right at all. I'm sure I am missing something obvious here but it's just not..apparent..to me.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

You just need to mash the button repeatedly. Holding might work too but I haven't tried.

I think someone mentioned earlier that if you change your keybinds/controller settings the prompt might still show the old key or something? So that could also be what you're running into.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

Hulk Krogan posted:

You just need to mash the button repeatedly. Holding might work too but I haven't tried.

I think someone mentioned earlier that if you change your keybinds/controller settings the prompt might still show the old key or something? So that could also be what you're running into.

Sorry, I mispoke: It normally shows a key to smash, but it's not, for whatever reason

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's been the melee button every time for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
It's been the interact button for me.

• Locked thread