Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

turn off the TV posted:

Use terrain.party and Wilbur to get the height maps you want and use the in game editor to touch them up.

Yes, terrain party gets a height map, but it does nothing for an image overlay, which is really important for carving waterways and laying down highways and eventually streets in game. I'm talking about mods that replace BetterImageOverlay. I guess the mod Overlayer 2.0 is the method of choice. Then there's actually making the overlay image, which requires a ton of screenshot stitching from google maps, which never matched up with Terrain Party because they did latitude compensation for the map projection, which others don't do.

Man, what a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So I cleared out all my old mods and started resubscribing to things, and I'm just about set, except I'm stuck being fussy about maps. Can anyone recommend a good map (or good maps) that:
  • Isn't completely level but also isn't a series of sharp mountains with little buildable area? I just want something well-done and a bit hilly, but not so much so that I can't build on the hills.
  • Uses the national roads from Network Extensions, or uses some other trickery so that I don't have to start off building off a divided highway system?
I just want to build a collection of small towns that start off sitting on the main roads, like

Just some little burgs on state roads, you know? No big highways, at least not at first, I can build those myself later.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There aren't any maps that I know of that use national highways by default that also meet your geographic description. However, you could always grab one you like off the workshop and just rebuild the highways in the map editor.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Does anyone use that mod that lets you change the appearance/color of your roads - Roads United I think it's called? If so does it impact performance at all? The game really looks much better with darker roads but I try to stay away from mods that affect framerate too much (e.g. the various traffic AI mods).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't use that mod specifically but I have a road texture replacement going and I haven't really noticed any impact. Gonna vary based on your specs though.

I think it just depends on how much bigger the file size is versus the stock roads - if it is about the same then the performance difference will probably be negligible. Dunno where that file is in the game files so you can look at it though sorry.

If I were you I'd probably back up my save, load the mod and run it for a bit and see how it goes. If it is too much then you've got the backup save if it goes wonky when you try to remove it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Roads United by itself shouldn't have much of a performance impact, it's just a framework for other road texture mods to work off of. Without them it uses vanilla assets, just allowing you to change the shade of the textures.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Ofaloaf posted:

So I cleared out all my old mods and started resubscribing to things, and I'm just about set, except I'm stuck being fussy about maps. Can anyone recommend a good map (or good maps) that:
  • Isn't completely level but also isn't a series of sharp mountains with little buildable area? I just want something well-done and a bit hilly, but not so much so that I can't build on the hills.
  • Uses the national roads from Network Extensions, or uses some other trickery so that I don't have to start off building off a divided highway system?
I just want to build a collection of small towns that start off sitting on the main roads, like

Just some little burgs on state roads, you know? No big highways, at least not at first, I can build those myself later.

Well, this map based on my hometown pretty much fits your first requirement, though I'm not sure about its highways (didn't check it yet).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=698427848

(Personally I'd love to see someone building something decent on it. I committed too much atrocities in another version of this I'm not sure I want to share screenshots again)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Just got an email telling me that this free DLC is available:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/563850

And a whole bunch of the other DLC is on sale:
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/featured-deals?franchise=143&utm_source=Community+Newsletter

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is there a mod that adds a mass road upgrade function?

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I've been hoping for a mod that repairs roads for me, rather than having to spot that lone segment loving up the neighborhood after I've cleaned up.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Scarecow posted:

So if your coming back to this game after a long time whats a good list of mods to have?

I'd love a little info on this as well. My wife has been playing the poo poo out of this game and I'd love an idea of some mods she could get.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Work blocks steam so this is just off the top of my head and I can't provide links but I would start with the following - I am forgetting some but the below are a good start in terms of making your city look more realistic and interesting than the base game:

- Move It!: Lets you move things after placing them (buildings, roads, etc.). Can't imagine going back to the game without i.
- Ploppable RICO: Lets you place buildings that function as residential/industrial/commercial/office like growables do (as opposed to being non-functional landmarks). Many of the best buildings on the workshop use this mod. Absolutely essential for making your city look realistic.
- Fine Road Anarchy: Gives you much more control over how you place roads in terms of their heights, whether they snap, whether they overlap with things, etc.
- Sharp Junction Angles: Lets you join roads at a finer angle than allowed by default; looks much better in certain scenarios, especially offramps. This might be obsoleted by Fine Road Anarchy? Not sure.
- More Beautification: Lets you place props in game. Good for detailing.
- Prop Anarchy: Goes well with More Beautification, lets you put props on other than empty space
- Metro Overhaul Mod: Lets you build subways above ground. Includes cool subway track assets. IMO this adds more and better content to the game than any individual DLC so far.
- Network Extensions: Adds extra road types.
- Realistic Population and Consumption: Changes the way the game calculates residents and jobs for buildings. Very large buildings provide a LOT of jobs and small homes only hold 1 or 2 families. This has the effect of giving you a dense downtown that provides a ton of jobs, surrounded by a lot of residential space. End result is a more realistic looking city.

The above mods barely affect performance, if at all. There are also some popular mods that improve the traffic AI and let you do stuff like edit intersections (turn lanes, light timing, etc.). These can have a major impact on performance and for that reason I don't like them. The game runs lovely enough as it is once you start dropping a lot of assets in and your city gets large. As nice as more realistic traffic might be, I don't think it's worth the performance hit. Your mileage may vary.

Mods and custom assets are what make this game great. If you have never messed with them before you are in for a treat. I could never play vanilla now.

Maldavos
May 26, 2015
Grimey Drawer

Bold Robot posted:

Work blocks steam so this is just off the top of my head and I can't provide links but I would start with the following - I am forgetting some but the below are a good start in terms of making your city look more realistic and interesting than the base game:

- Move It!: Lets you move things after placing them (buildings, roads, etc.). Can't imagine going back to the game without i.
- Ploppable RICO: Lets you place buildings that function as residential/industrial/commercial/office like growables do (as opposed to being non-functional landmarks). Many of the best buildings on the workshop use this mod. Absolutely essential for making your city look realistic.
- Fine Road Anarchy: Gives you much more control over how you place roads in terms of their heights, whether they snap, whether they overlap with things, etc.
- Sharp Junction Angles: Lets you join roads at a finer angle than allowed by default; looks much better in certain scenarios, especially offramps. This might be obsoleted by Fine Road Anarchy? Not sure.
- More Beautification: Lets you place props in game. Good for detailing.
- Prop Anarchy: Goes well with More Beautification, lets you put props on other than empty space
- Metro Overhaul Mod: Lets you build subways above ground. Includes cool subway track assets. IMO this adds more and better content to the game than any individual DLC so far.
- Network Extensions: Adds extra road types.
- Realistic Population and Consumption: Changes the way the game calculates residents and jobs for buildings. Very large buildings provide a LOT of jobs and small homes only hold 1 or 2 families. This has the effect of giving you a dense downtown that provides a ton of jobs, surrounded by a lot of residential space. End result is a more realistic looking city.

The above mods barely affect performance, if at all. There are also some popular mods that improve the traffic AI and let you do stuff like edit intersections (turn lanes, light timing, etc.). These can have a major impact on performance and for that reason I don't like them. The game runs lovely enough as it is once you start dropping a lot of assets in and your city gets large. As nice as more realistic traffic might be, I don't think it's worth the performance hit. Your mileage may vary.

Mods and custom assets are what make this game great. If you have never messed with them before you are in for a treat. I could never play vanilla now.

Thanks for this! Just started playing again and wanted a list of low-impact, quality mods. This is perfect, goonpersona. :hfive:

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

I would also recommend the Prop Line Tool mod, which is a huge time saver if you're manually plopping props.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is anyone aware of a way to place a single railroad track without electric cables overhead? The Extra Train Tracks mod gives you an option to remove the overhead lines, but whatever mod adds the single train tracks doesn't seem to work with Extra Train Tracks - when I select the single track option, the little Extra Train Tracks window goes away and I can't uncheck the overhead lines box.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bold Robot posted:

Is anyone aware of a way to place a single railroad track without electric cables overhead? The Extra Train Tracks mod gives you an option to remove the overhead lines, but whatever mod adds the single train tracks doesn't seem to work with Extra Train Tracks - when I select the single track option, the little Extra Train Tracks window goes away and I can't uncheck the overhead lines box.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=774449380

This can do it, albeit for every track on the map.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thanks, this will work. I'll admit this is pretty :spergin: but I wanted to have two different networks - one for freight without overhead wires and one for passengers with wires. But I need wireless single-tracks for my freight yard so I guess I'll go with a no-wires system.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

I've been having a lot of fun with single tracks myself lately. :) I've been working on a copy of Hoo Junction which I used to travel through the middle of when commuting to my old job. It has some nice wiggly-piggly compact low-level industrial areas either side (Currently working on the North bit) and is an interesting site. I did over-esitimate the scaling though, so the Northern half is almost double the size it should really be.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 26, 2017

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

That looks loving great, dude. What are you using to get the transition between different surfaces (concrete vs. dirt) look so clean? I use the surface painter tool and the edges of the painted surfaces always end up looking pretty bad if it doesn't end naturally at a road or something.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Thanks! Search for Big Decals on the workshop. There's a large collection of different decals available in one pack that covers stains, dirt, mud etc which help in breaking up the transition (as does haphazardly lining wire fencing with over grown shrubbery) between concrete and natural surfaces. The concrete stains, retouched asphalt patches, and road wear decals really help break up the monotony of large open concrete spaces too. Mud overlapping Road Worn decals has worked best for me so far in getting the transition between concrete and dirt/grass.

e: Quick search and I've found the collection, here. RONYX69 has submitted a few more this weekend that aren't yet added to the collection, it looks like s/he is working on some small decals now.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 27, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The game should really look closer to that poo poo by default. Hard coded decal/surface painting tool with blending options. Things like roads and train tracks naturally adding a slight border of gravel. There's so much I bet they could do more efficiently and robustly if it was native to the game rather than a tacked-on mod.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

It would be nice, to be honest it was one of the things that had me grow tired of the game a year ago. Part of the reason I started playing again was a few videos showed up on my youtube suggestions of custom junctions people were building and I saw the huge amount of decals and props that were no available. Prop Line Tool and Move It! convinced me to start playing again and while I haven't, 'played' yet as I'm still getting the marshalling yard and surrounding industry down for my starting area, its been a lot more fun than I remember the game being.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

There aren't any maps that I know of that use national highways by default that also meet your geographic description. However, you could always grab one you like off the workshop and just rebuild the highways in the map editor.
I ended up editing a Switzerland map, and have been slowly chugging along with a small city:

The main town, still under development, with minor traffic issues.

A small village at the peak of a hill overlooking the main town.

A shot of a neighborhood in the main town.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The new dev diary about ferries went up yesterday. Looks solid, it's about what you'd imagine.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Bold Robot posted:

The new dev diary about ferries went up yesterday. Looks solid, it's about what you'd imagine.

Seems pretty neat. I assume land boat pathing is not a thing anymore? I legit would like to add ferries to my original city.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ToastyPotato posted:

Seems pretty neat. I assume land boat pathing is not a thing anymore? I legit would like to add ferries to my original city.

Boat pathing is still a thing, they talk about it in the update. You have to draw paths for your ferries, and then you can lay routes down on the paths. They work the same way as roads, more or less.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I meant the bug where boats would sail through the middle of my downtown to get to the water on the other side.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ToastyPotato posted:

I meant the bug where boats would sail through the middle of my downtown to get to the water on the other side.

Check your mods, you probably subscribed to the Speed 2 mod

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://www.twitch.tv

New game play video of the expansion. The intersection editor only allows toggling stop signs and traffic lights, as I guess lane connectors would be too much micromanagement, despite the whole system being optional. Uh, alright.

There are also a number of new highways, including an undivided highway, which is very nice to see.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So it lets me do what the most popular traffic mods do, but not quite all the things, so I still have to use them to adjust turning lanes and such which if anything is the most important thing.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

So it lets me do what the most popular traffic mods do, but not quite all the things, so I still have to use them to adjust turning lanes and such which if anything is the most important thing.

Yeah, basically.

On the other hand the new road tool they have is 100% a step up over precision engineering.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was really hoping they'd make fine road height obsolete by giving us more height control as well as finally giving us an absolute height control rather than relative. Like so you can make a perfectly straight and level bridge over top of rolling terrain/water. With move-it you can fine tweak every single node to look level but come on, this is a super basic interface request guys...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I was really hoping they'd make fine road height obsolete by giving us more height control as well as finally giving us an absolute height control rather than relative. Like so you can make a perfectly straight and level bridge over top of rolling terrain/water. With move-it you can fine tweak every single node to look level but come on, this is a super basic interface request guys...

Grab Fine Road Anarchy, one of its settings disables height snapping.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=802066100&searchtext

But yes, this shouldn't be a mod.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I keep asking this because I keep zoning out :) Have they announced a release date?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

https://www.twitch.tv

New game play video of the expansion. The intersection editor only allows toggling stop signs and traffic lights, as I guess lane connectors would be too much micromanagement, despite the whole system being optional. Uh, alright.

There are also a number of new highways, including an undivided highway, which is very nice to see.

The intersection editor allowing you to set a road priority means we'll be able to make real roundabout behavior, which is nice.

There are a bunch of new bridge look options now too. Huzzah!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They're certainly heading in the right direction with like actual gameplay content and improvements rather than side-shows.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Lorini posted:

I keep asking this because I keep zoning out :) Have they announced a release date?

They haven't. They're doing dev diaries every two weeks and there will probably be a few more before release. I'd guess it's out some time in May.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bold Robot posted:

They haven't. They're doing dev diaries every two weeks and there will probably be a few more before release. I'd guess it's out some time in May.

They actually went about a month between their first dev diary and this most recent one. I'm not exactly sure why there's been such a delay from their normal schedule.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

turn off the TV posted:

They actually went about a month between their first dev diary and this most recent one. I'm not exactly sure why there's been such a delay from their normal schedule.

The first one was posted on March 15 and the second one was posted on March 29 so... every 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bold Robot posted:

The first one was posted on March 15 and the second one was posted on March 29 so... every 2 weeks.

Uhh yeah.. for some reason I thought that the first one was posted right after the announcement. I had even been checking their forum for the second dev diary and still managed to miss that.