Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Waiting to board my plane to Chicago now. So pumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Can't wait! My friend bailed so I'm going solo. Anyone need a Thursday ticket?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Pre-show beers! Got the God Ween Satan Live LP playing loud!

Wooo!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Double Post Show Summary:

Gener was a bit off but totally silly about it. Your Party fell apart because he missed his cue to start the verse, couldn't finish it, and jumped straight the chorus and then the wrong verse. Deaner had to call the song off. They all laughed and talked it over for 2 minutes and then came back to kill it.

They band was totally in the jam mood though. They did a 14 minute version of King Billy that was insane.i guess it was the first time playing that live. Mutilated Lips was my favorite, they gave it their all.

We also got to hear a beautiful version of Boys Club. They really got the acapella down.

Buckingham Green totally rocked. Melted my face off, as always.

How lucky were we, got a hideous presentation of Stallion Part 1, total brown. My girlfriend was less than enthused. It was awesome.

The Mollusk was beautiful, hit the disco globe right when Glen was going nuts. Made it look we were underwater.

Setlist:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ween/2017/aragon-ballroom-chicago-il-6bf9124a.html

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Beastie posted:

How lucky were we, got a hideous presentation of Stallion Part 1, total brown. My girlfriend was less than enthused. It was awesome.

That's hilarious.
This thread is like Instagram - I go on it whenever I want to be jealous of other people having fun nights out.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Beastie posted:

They did a 14 minute version of King Billy that was insane.
Aw man, they always pull out the poo poo I want most on shows that happen immediately after I see them, like pulling out Springtheme in Port Chester after seeing them in San Francisco. This is why you don't miss Ween shows.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Beastie posted:

Double Post Show Summary:

Gener was a bit off but totally silly about it. Your Party fell apart because he missed his cue to start the verse, couldn't finish it, and jumped straight the chorus and then the wrong verse. Deaner had to call the song off. They all laughed and talked it over for 2 minutes and then came back to kill it.

They band was totally in the jam mood though. They did a 14 minute version of King Billy that was insane.i guess it was the first time playing that live. Mutilated Lips was my favorite, they gave it their all.

We also got to hear a beautiful version of Boys Club. They really got the acapella down.

Buckingham Green totally rocked. Melted my face off, as always.

The Mollusk was beautiful, hit the disco globe right when Glen was going nuts. Made it look we were underwater.

Setlist:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ween/2017/aragon-ballroom-chicago-il-6bf9124a.html

Agree with all of this. Things got real brown for a few songs starting with King Billy. Gener seemed maybe a little more out of it than usual - he was noodling on the keyboard for a while during King Billy when it didn't seem to be on and then had a few lyrics flubs, especially Your Party. But then he pulled it together and overall everyone on stage seemed to be having a great time. They were clearly having a ton of fun playing together and in a great mood.

Standout songs for me were King Billy (!!!), Your Party (take 2), Boys Club (with deaner doing a singing intro of the band), Roses (never heard this one live before and it's crazy how good it is), and Touch My Tooter (amazing energy from gener).

Can't wait for night 2; not looking forward to that line situation again though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Did gener fall off the wagon?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
It's impossible to speculate - everyone has off nights.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Doubt it. He always flubs lyrics, this was just a little worse than usual and he recovered well.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah that's the ween charm. Jammed out a few songs last night as Gener kept leaving the stage for 5+ minutes for some reason.

Had a blast, even though I went by myself I felt right at home. Met some great people and was pretty close to the stage both nights. Can't wait to do it all over again, hopefully they hit the midwest again soon!

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Harminoff posted:

If the U.K. then no chance

why is this?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

asap-salafi posted:

why is this?

From https://www.jambase.com/article/music-joyous-mickey-dean-ween-melchiondo-talks-ween-solo-band-premieres-new-dean-ween-group-song

quote:

JAMBASE: So 150 shows, will you guys be all over next year?
DW: We’re going everywhere, yeah. And I’d like to take The Dean Ween Group overseas, probably first to Australia and New Zealand. Europe I don’t like as much and probably because of our tours there with Ween. [laughs] Ween and Europe are like Spinal Tap in America.

JAMBASE: Still?
DW: Oh yeah. We haven’t been back there in a long time, and we swore we would never go back since the first tour we did over there in 1990. We were on a bus in England and the bus driver called the police on us and threw us out. There were a lot of unpleasant things that happened to us over there.

Can read about it here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BoognishWillRise/permalink/661113954027925/

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

What a great loving read, including his follow up:

someone on facebook posted:

Your a great writer. I have a question that will prob go unanswered but hey why not- have you always written the set lists? Do you enjoy creating them or just do it because you picked the short straw?

Mickey Melchiondo posted:

i have written every set list
it's a very big part of my day that i take very seriously, the band members know to leave me alone when i do it--i alott two hours to write it altho it doesnt take that long. say we're playing Chicago, first thing i do is go back and look at what we played there the last 2 times and then i make sure we dont open or close w the same tunes etc

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Deaner is in talks with Fender so this might actually become a reality!

https://www.change.org/p/fender-gui...g-no_src-no_msg

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

OfChristandMen posted:

What a great loving read, including his follow up:

Yeah that was a great read. It's pretty cool how engaged Deaner is on facebook. Dude seems like he really loves what he does and has a lot of fun.

Chicago night 2 was loving awesome by the way. Can't wait for Brooklyn.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I can't get away from Quebec. I tell myself I hate it just so I won't listen to it for the billionth time, but I end up listening to it for the billionth time anyway.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Overwined posted:

I can't get away from Quebec. I tell myself I hate it just so I won't listen to it for the billionth time, but I end up listening to it for the billionth time anyway.

I'd say it's their best album. You might be aware of them already, but just in case, don't miss the Caesar Demos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkVPap7TqYw. Quebec demo disc uploaded by Deaner at some point with a ton of songs that didn't make it onto the album, some of which are amazing.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

"My Little Country Cottage" of course being the best.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Oo Va La is a good song

sout
Apr 24, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

"My Little Country Cottage" of course being the best.

"Gunna learn to play the flute and kill myself."

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I personally like That Man (From the Flatland.)

It's got a tasty hook that I could much on all drat diddly-day.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

It boggles my mind that That Man (From The Flatland) has never been played even once (by Ween - DWG played it twice).

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

BigFactory posted:

Oo Va La is a good song

When I think "Brown sound" I think Oo Va La.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

It boggles my mind that That Man (From The Flatland) has never been played even once (by Ween - DWG played it twice).

I was hoping for it at the Chicago show but I was more than pleased by King Billy. That was loving amazing.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Bold Robot posted:

I feel the same way about "The Rift." DWG have played some loving brown-rear end Rifts, but Ween haven't played it at all as far as I know.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

I feel the same way about "The Rift." DWG have played some loving brown-rear end Rifts, but Ween haven't played it at all as far as I know.

I don't think either have ever played So Many People in the Neighborhood, I've always been fond of that track but maybe it only works as a studio recording.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I always though So Many People in the Neighborhood is what it's like to go insane.

That or it's what serial killers hear in their head as they are chopping up limbs.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

ding dong ding dong ding dong ding dong DING DONG DING DONG

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

caligulamprey posted:

Saw DWG play The Rift in Brooklyn in January and it was good as hell, I remember being surprised to learn that Ween has never played it. Looking on brownbase it looks like DWG actually plays it pretty regularly. I guess maybe Gener secretly hates it or something? :shrug:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah the rift would be pretty awesome live. The concert is over would be an awesome closer as well. I'm still waiting on them playing vallejo again.

Looks like Deaner signature guitar is happening as well!

quote:

i have a serious question guys---Fender is considering making the Dean Ween model---at what price point should it be. Keep in mind that mine (as the main two pieces of wood) are seriously valuable---1961, brazilian rosewood, no longer available, etc. a range of say $800----to say $3500---a normal american strat runs about $850. please be serious, no sarcasm---this will probably happen. UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!WE HAVE SETTLED ON THE $1250 PRICE POINT! THANK YOU EVERYONE!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

We saw them in Charlottesville last night and had a great time. They played Stacey for the first time in a long while. It's not my favorite song by a long shot so I could only be so excited. This was my first time to Charlottesville and I loved it. Really cool little Virginia mountain town.

Pretty decent setlist.

We got there plenty early and had a great spot:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Today's show is streaming right now! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdAxJ7f8dMM

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Good show in Baltimore last night. Had front row seats, which were quickly devalued due to the sudden rush of people from back rows making their way to the front when the show began.

Set list

Covered Bowie's 'Let's Dance', which was great. Played several songs I don't really care about : Your Party, Boy's Club, Freedom of 76.

I can't remember which song it was, but at one point Gener came out with a ripping guitar solo.

Johnny on the Spot as the last (pre-encore) song was awesome. They completely hammered the poo poo out of that song. Joppa Road was cool and I didn't even think of them playing it despite where we were (there's a Joppa Road near Baltimore).

Frank was awesome, as usual.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Good stuff! Thems some sweaty lookin' boys.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yay, Ween just announced they are playing the small awesome outdoor amphitheater in my town on Friday Sept. 1.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I've been back on a massive Ween kick the last week or so and drat I'm jealous of you guys who got to see them live.

I've listened to almost nothing but white pepper, quebec and shinola for a few days straight now.

E: and Buenos tardes amigo

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fenrir posted:

I've been back on a massive Ween kick the last week or so and drat I'm jealous of you guys who got to see them live.

I've listened to almost nothing but white pepper, quebec and shinola for a few days straight now.

E: and Buenos tardes amigo

Where are you located? They're still touring and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Israel.
Israel.
Israel.
Israel.

This sitting around and waiting for the Oregon/Washington shows next week are killing me, it's so goddamn boring.