Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Well Manicured Man posted:

JK Rowling apparently said a while after finishing the books that wizards took way longer than muggles to catch on to indoor plumbing and until like the 20th century wizards would just poo poo in their robes and magic it away :gonk:

So, yeah. Lazy is right.

I'd love to see a source on this, if only to see how Rowling would word this, because it sounds really hosed up. Also Hogwarts had plumbing fixtures that were as old as the school itself, so you'd think that would carry over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I'm loving the Patronus discussion if only because I'm reading Prisoner of Azkaban to my 6 year old right now. We first encountered Dementors last night, and that didn't freak her out. Professor Trelawney talking about The Grim tonight did, though. :witch:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Harry Potter Horcrux poo poo. So just being AROUND one of those loving things made Ron's sister go all possessed/crazy, and Ron wearing one meant he went a bit off the deep end too. And the longer it's around, the worse you get. But I understand no one really knew about Horcruxes except Dumbledore, right?

So at some point he had to have figured out Harry was one. So you give some non-wizard people a loving living Horcrux to raise without, I don't know, any kind of magic to stop that evil from making them batty/crazy? Harry's lucky his uncle and aunt didn't drown him in the bathtub at some point, or do worse poo poo than lock him under the stairs.
Dumbledore was an arsehole. He didn't share his plan with anyone and he didn't really care about collateral damage. He was going to kill Voldemort and nothing else really mattered to him. And traumatising kids and putting them in danger was part of the plan, not an unfortunate side effect.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Well with the Harry horcrux apparently it wasn't intended (which is directly contradictory to all the stuff saying it took a specific spell and process to create one, but still)
IIRC it had to be intentional the first time, but at some point he'd fragmented his soul so many times that it was kind of just falling apart on its own.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Tiggum posted:

Dumbledore was an arsehole. He didn't share his plan with anyone and he didn't really care about collateral damage. He was going to kill Voldemort and nothing else really mattered to him. And traumatising kids and putting them in danger was part of the plan, not an unfortunate side effect.

IIRC it had to be intentional the first time, but at some point he'd fragmented his soul so many times that it was kind of just falling apart on its own.

I can see how letting an effectively invincible Hitler win is a better choice

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In the new Harry Potter play we find out that Harry Potter is a terrible father and he's ashamed that his son is a Slytherin. Wizards are assholes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Two Finger posted:

I can see how letting an effectively invincible Hitler win is a better choice

I didn't say he wasn't right.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Tiggum posted:

I didn't say he wasn't right.

Yeah. poo poo situation. Lucky Harry made a good child soldier and suicide bomber.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My IIHPM is after the Battle of Hogwarts, Slughorn proudly announces how Slytherin helped in the defense, when virtually all of them hosed off out the back.

It kind of undercuts the message about redemption when almost all the designated evil kids don't really give a poo poo about stopping wizard Hitler.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

When Doctor Strange is first seen scrubbing for surgery at the start, he washes his hands, puts his gown on, then pulls up his mask.

That's the wrong order. Your mask has to go on before you start scrubbing, because it isn't sterile and neither is your face. Kind of kills the 'genius surgeon' persona right from the start.

Also in the very next scene he says 'WE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR IMAGE GUIDANCE' and then proceeds to remove the bullet while we watch it happen on the screen of the image guidance.

jabby has a new favorite as of 14:18 on Mar 24, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the film explicitly tells you he isn't a godly surgeon with how selective he is about his patients so that he doesn't get a blemish​ on his record. Also the reckless driving part.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He's a great surgeon, just a colossal rear end in a top hat of a human being.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

So the MCUs version of Dr. Oz?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

My other irritation is the fact that his love interest actually loves him despite him initially having no redeeming characteristics.

I want a more realistic depiction of 'genius assholes' where everyone actively dislikes them and their genius is unappreciated rather than rewarded because they're such a colossal chore to be around.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

jabby posted:

My other irritation is the fact that his love interest actually loves him despite him initially having no redeeming characteristics.

I want a more realistic depiction of 'genius assholes' where everyone actively dislikes them and their genius is unappreciated rather than rewarded because they're such a colossal chore to be around.

Ant Man's Hank Pym was kiiiiiind of like that, in the "take my ball and go home" sort of way.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the film explicitly tells you he isn't a godly surgeon with how selective he is about his patients so that he doesn't get a blemish​ on his record. Also the reckless driving part.

This is the bit that dragged the movie down for me. He doesn't want to actually save people, or do impossible surgeries, he want's everyone to see him do the almost impossible.

It moved him over from "genius rear end in a top hat" to completely irredeemable in my eyes. He should be struck off, banned from practicing medicine. He should be shunned by all his colleagues, there should be goddam criminal investigations into his activities, and into the people who let him get away with gaming the statistics like that.

If a villain acted like that the movie would have been panned for such an unrealistic and cartoonish evil guy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is the bit that dragged the movie down for me. He doesn't want to actually save people, or do impossible surgeries, he want's everyone to see him do the almost impossible.

It moved him over from "genius rear end in a top hat" to completely irredeemable in my eyes. He should be struck off, banned from practicing medicine. He should be shunned by all his colleagues, there should be goddam criminal investigations into his activities, and into the people who let him get away with gaming the statistics like that.

If a villain acted like that the movie would have been panned for such an unrealistic and cartoonish evil guy.

A criminal investigation into what, exactly? "I don't want to cut people open unless I know I can actually make them better?"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It is my understanding that that's how surgeons at the very top operate anyway - their stats are incredibly important to future earnings, so they won't take high risk patients if they don't have to.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Every surgeon makes an effort to keep good stats

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Yeah not taking any risky cases because he cares more about his success rate is one of the more realistic aspects of his character. As is the stereotype of neurosurgeons being assholes. The unrealistic parts are a) that anyone actually likes him and b) every bit of medicine shown.

The do go a bit overboard with making him an rear end in a top hat though. I kept expecting a flash of self-recognition after he was injured, considering he was laughing about the futility of saving drunk idiots who end up in the ER a few hours earlier, but nope. Maybe some slight concern for the people in the other car he ran off the road because he's a lovely driver? Nah.

Also his line near the end, "Pain is an old friend". Er, what? Is he talking about the car crash he got into one time, which doesn't appear to cause him any significant pain or disability?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

jabby posted:

Also his line near the end, "Pain is an old friend". Er, what? Is he talking about the car crash he got into one time, which doesn't appear to cause him any significant pain or disability?

He still can't use his hands properly. I think the last shot of the film is showing that despite all he did, his hands still shake.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Strom Cuzewon posted:

hey dum dum in real life it's the surgeons that keep attempting impossible surgeries and therefore killing patients who spark "goddam criminal investigations", hope this helps

"I sure do wish that this character was perfect and untarnished by flaws making him interesting!" - you

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

IUG posted:

He still can't use his hands properly. I think the last shot of the film is showing that despite all he did, his hands still shake.

To be fair he seems to be able to type, hold drinks, fight, and do pretty much everything other than brain surgery perfectly well.

Yeah he lost his career, but I guess that's not quite 'I laugh in the face of torture now' territory to me.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

jabby posted:

Get Bill Murray for this.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It's astounding to me that there are some jerks out there who weren't aware how incredibly important a good kill/death ratio is to top tier surgeons

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Ben Carson of superheroes?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

jabby posted:

My biggest irritation with Dr. strange is that when he opens that beautiful, sexy drawer of watches, none of those watch winders are doing any good because they're parallel to the ground. :(

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
A lot of you are missing the second half of the point of him coming off as a huge rear end in a top hat - he learns to change and actually be a good person. Or at least better anyway.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

No he doesn't.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Joey Freshwater posted:

A lot of you are missing the second half of the point of him coming off as a huge rear end in a top hat - he learns to change and actually be a good person. Or at least better anyway.

I don't know about that, he basically defeats the Big Bad by annoying the poo poo out of him and showing off by using forbidden powers

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Arguing about a comic characters background/cover story is stupid. Who cares whether Spiderman is a good photographer or if Superman is a good journalist or if dr strange is a good doctor - all everyone cares about is the magic poo poo.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

food court bailiff posted:

hey dum dum in real life it's the surgeons that keep attempting impossible surgeries and therefore killing patients who spark "goddam criminal investigations", hope this helps

"I sure do wish that this character was perfect and untarnished by flaws making him interesting!" - you

Although I agree with you completely, I am kind of interested in how apocalyptic it would be for medicine if surgeons had to take every case that was thrown at them or face murder charges. The same murder charge they would face when the patient predictively dies in the OR. Kind of interested in learning more about the thought process the goon had who wanted medicine practiced that way, too. It is some very Italy level judicial action.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Although I agree with you completely, I am kind of interested in how apocalyptic it would be for medicine if surgeons had to take every case that was thrown at them or face murder charges.

Stupid 13th amendment!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ignite Memories posted:

No he doesn't.

Fake woke?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tunicate posted:

A criminal investigation into what, exactly? "I don't want to cut people open unless I know I can actually make them better?"

Yes, but he was rejecting them because he didn't want to spoil his perfect record, not because there were unacceptable risks to the patient. Presumably they passed whatever criteria the hospital was using to determine that surgery was appropriate. He was only taking "miracle doctor cures impossible patient!" type cases, and rejecting the "well, we've restored *partial* function in your arms" ones.

My read of the scene in the car is that he *could* do the surgery, that it would be entirely reasonable and not overly risky to do so. But that he wouldn't get sufficient praise and adoration for doing so.

Which means he's putting his fame and glory above the wellbeing of his patients, which is the kind of thing that makes me reach for my torches and pitchfork.

food court bailiff posted:

This is not even close to what I said, but if you keep practising you'll eventually be able to understand written English.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Jesus, quit being a douche.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yes, but he was rejecting them because he didn't want to spoil his perfect record, not because there were unacceptable risks to the patient. Presumably they passed whatever criteria the hospital was using to determine that surgery was appropriate. He was only taking "miracle doctor cures impossible patient!" type cases, and rejecting the "well, we've restored *partial* function in your arms" ones.
Yeah, that criteria is "does the surgeon want to do it."

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Excellent choice of a hill to die on, the motivations of a comic book surgeon wizard.

If we all say you're right can we move on?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

When?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Well, at the end he basically sacrifices himself to Dormomu. I know he had a plan, but he had no idea it would work and basically tossed himself in to get repeatedly murdered over and over and over again. Old Dr. Strange would never do that.
He also goes out of his way to try and rescue the Ancient One but she's all like, "Nah, it's my time. I've seen this play out a hundred different ways and they all end with me croaking right now, so, even though it is obvious that you could probably do something to save me, because you are right there, I'm peacing out."
And, he chooses to use magic to be awesome and do cool stuff instead of using it to fix his hands because, for reasons, he cannot do both.

Edit: seriously, he could have been trapped in that time loop for hundreds of years and we'd never know, but he sure as hell would have felt every minute of it.

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

To be honest I kind of liked the fact that his way of redeeming himself from being a narcissistic arsehole was by sacrificing himself to save the world in the most narcissisticly arseholish way possible. I'm not sure if that was the intended reading or not but it endears me to the character.