Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Contract hasn't changed from Matson. It's not great. You could also try the Ocean Giant, I think the 2nd went out of LA when I picked this up but they might have already hit McMurdo this year. Still, it is probably spending time in the southern hemisphere. Last time I saw it it hit Antarctica and then Texas to Costa Rica or south America.

Anything good doesn't pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

Contract hasn't changed from Matson. It's not great. You could also try the Ocean Giant, I think the 2nd went out of LA when I picked this up but they might have already hit McMurdo this year. Still, it is probably spending time in the southern hemisphere. Last time I saw it it hit Antarctica and then Texas to Costa Rica or south America.

Anything good doesn't pay.

There's nothing wrong with Maersk or whatever really, it's just like being back at the big GoM companies during the boom but on bigger more pain in the rear end equipment.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I haven't bothered with Sealand requirements and MLL is all on the east coast. Would prefer them.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

March month is extremely uncomfortable on a North Atlantic crossing coming west. We've been making good like 7 knots for what feels like forever.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I remember watching some tv show years ago and it had a segment about how you can book a room on some merchant ships and travel that way. Is this still true? I hate flying and but I want to see the world, is this viable?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Applesnots posted:

I remember watching some tv show years ago and it had a segment about how you can book a room on some merchant ships and travel that way. Is this still true? I hate flying and but I want to see the world, is this viable?

Someone asked this in the travel forum recently - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809231

The short answer is that it's possible, but it's not a great way to get anywhere. You'd be better off using your time and money to conquer flying.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

FrozenVent posted:

Someone asked this in the travel forum recently - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809231

The short answer is that it's possible, but it's not a great way to get anywhere. You'd be better off using your time and money to conquer flying.

Hey! thanks!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

flashman posted:

March month is extremely uncomfortable on a North Atlantic crossing coming west. We've been making good like 7 knots for what feels like forever.

I have no Gulf of AK or North Atlantic in the winter rules I keep violating and instantly regretting.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Applesnots posted:

If you have lots of time and money and want to be bored or isolated a little bit on purpose it wouldn't be the worst idea, I enjoy the loneliness and constant engine noise unless there's a lot of truly egregious jerks. Not sure how fun it'd be considering all the ships taking passengers are foreign flag, though. I think they played up the negativity in the other thread because that dude was crazy, just don't mistake it as an alternative to flying in most parts of the world. It takes so long and you have to be so flexible in your travel schedule from what I've read that I'd certainly say a repositioning cruise or that one liner or whatever that they built a while back would be preferable. Everyone does their best to make a container ship run on schedule but there's just a lot of moving parts in the system, you know?

Edit: I've been on ships where there were cattle tenders or couriers or the captain's wife or ever along for the ride and they seemed to find it kind of relaxing to be bored.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It's still a good way to get to places that are otherwise hard to get to as an American. Outside of that, just fly.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

It's still a good way to get to places that are otherwise hard to get to as an American. Outside of that, just fly.

The only people with enough time off to travel by ship are already doing it for a living anyway, yeah

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

shovelbum posted:

The only people with enough time off to travel by ship are already doing it for a living anyway, yeah

I know a lot of retirees. They want to go a place and don't give a gently caress. One couple went to Iran that way.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Despite my dreams of visiting paradise, 95% of my stops are absolute poo poo holes I would avoid if the travel was free. I'm glad I got paid to visit Djibouti for four hours and then had to leave. I can't imagine doing it for fun.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

lightpole posted:

I have no Gulf of AK or North Atlantic in the winter rules I keep violating and instantly regretting.

35 degrees rail to rail for most of it. I skimped off last winter doing my chief mate papers so nature is paying me back in spades. Come on 150 dollar oil ..

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

flashman posted:

35 degrees rail to rail for most of it. I skimped off last winter doing my chief mate papers so nature is paying me back in spades. Come on 150 dollar oil ..

God I hate nature. Im very happy Im not out there right now and even more happy that I decided to go to grad school and find a new direction.

Sorry to break it to you but $100 oil is not happening.

What is it about companies that the higher up you move and the more in demand/refined/rare your skills and certificates become the more companies just expect you to jump for a bad contract at the last minute on their whim? Getting a 1sts job is apparently pretty easy but companies sure do have some unreasonable expectations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

shovelbum posted:

This right here. I prefer to get to Europe without the jet lag, but that always came as part of the job. You pretty much need to budget an extra week on either end of your trip.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

flashman posted:

You're repositioning a mud boat right? That's some nasty poo poo. I was happy to keep those in the GoM.

lightpole posted:

What is it about companies that the higher up you move and the more in demand/refined/rare your skills and certificates become the more companies just expect you to jump for a bad contract at the last minute on their whim? Getting a 1sts job is apparently pretty easy but companies sure do have some unreasonable expectations.

I need to finish my MLL/SeaLand requirements so that I can get Maersk jobs more reliably, the corporate grind is a lot better than some of the janky alternatives.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I have no desire to go to Easton for any length of time to get that done. I think they offer them online but there's no MLL over here and Matson is easy to get so whatever. Even if you are permanent the company wants you to jump at their every need and the transition to get there is a pain. The grass is always greener.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Agreed, it's kind of a lovely job but all the alternatives want you to work for like, all year.

edit: Matson still running any steamers? I just got back from Easton, borrring

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Just got off a 1 trip break out on the Consumer to cover for the Anchorage. The line handlers saw water pouring out of the bow so they needed 9 days to fix an 8' crack. They broke out and crewed up the Kauai to cover for the Manoa while it's in the yard and I think most everything else is running. The Producer is still laid up but I doubt it's coming out. The Lihue might be laid up. The Matsonia and Maui are running. Not sure about the Navigator.

The Pacific will need a 2nd when the current one gets off in Honolulu. It will go to the yard right after so less 4x8 and more yard daywork.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah they put the producer at the berth the Lurline was at, it ain't going anywhere. Kauai will be running until the Manoa gets going again.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
The port engineer calls it warehouse P for the Consumer. Consumer should be laid up in Seattle where the Lurline was, Producer is in Tacoma. Not sure why they did it that way since they have free power in Tacoma and it would be much easier to break out and lay up the Consumer there but oh well.

The Mahi will go to the yard in around September I think when the Manoa comes out so the Kauai should run longer. That doesn't even take into account C9 breakdowns or tube problems on the others...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I don't know about layup berths on the West Coast, but if it's anything like the lakes, finding a layup berth - especially a layup berth - is a thorough pain in the rear end, where luck plays a gigantic role.

So the answer to "I don't know why they didn't lay up X over at A" is usually "Urrrghlblblbl don't ask. :suicide:", with a longer answer involving berth availability, legal questions and alignment of heavenly bodies.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
It's all different terminals Matson owns that they don't really use for cargo so they can do whatever they want. The container yard in Seattle where they have a ship sitting they store random boxes, some full of spare parts, some empty etc. It's a bit confusing as they just purchased the AK operations of a rival line and now have two different terminals in the Sound and should probably consolidate operations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

It's all different terminals Matson owns that they don't really use for cargo so they can do whatever they want. The container yard in Seattle where they have a ship sitting they store random boxes, some full of spare parts, some empty etc. It's a bit confusing as they just purchased the AK operations of a rival line and now have two different terminals in the Sound and should probably consolidate operations.

Having your own facilities you don't really do anything with day to day sure is convenient though, I miss HOSPort!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lightpole posted:

The port engineer calls it warehouse P for the Consumer. Consumer should be laid up in Seattle where the Lurline was, Producer is in Tacoma. Not sure why they did it that way since they have free power in Tacoma and it would be much easier to break out and lay up the Consumer there but oh well.

You're right I mixed them up, drive by it every day too.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lightpole posted:

They own a stake in SSA, that's why don't use T-25 anymore. As for consolidation horizon in Tacoma was run really differently...

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

BrandorKP posted:

They own a stake in SSA, that's why don't use T-25 anymore. As for consolidation horizon in Tacoma was run really differently...

Yeah, also why they don't use Howard Terminal in Oakland anymore. Can't walk down the gangway and pop out the back gate for a quick BevMo run anymore.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anyone know why the Horizon Spirit has been sitting at sfo 30 since December with some containers on it still? I don't usually see things sitting there, and I can't find any news about it. (and I know jack about the shipping industry) Does this have something to do with the recent chat in this thread?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
That's Pascha, not Matson so it's not related. The containers are probably spare parts or something like that. Not sure if it has a yard period or something or what the deal is, that's usually out of LA and doesn't generally come to the bay. 30 is generally a lay up place but can also be emergency repairs. I can ask around tomorrow unless BrandorKP knows more.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lightpole posted:

That's Pascha, not Matson so it's not related. The containers are probably spare parts or something like that. Not sure if it has a yard period or something or what the deal is, that's usually out of LA and doesn't generally come to the bay. 30 is generally a lay up place but can also be emergency repairs. I can ask around tomorrow unless BrandorKP knows more.

Don't know about the sfo area.

I do know a bunch of changes are coming 1 April as the new alliance starts up, it's going to shuffle all the who goes to what terminal stuff up. Matson up here probably moving over to t30

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Spirit is just in layup apparently. Pascha doesn't have the same layup options as Matson which is probably why it's over there. I was told they are supposed to break it out in April for several trips, probably to cover for the Pacific when it goes to the yard.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lightpole posted:

Spirit is just in layup apparently. Pascha doesn't have the same layup options as Matson which is probably why it's over there. I was told they are supposed to break it out in April for several trips, probably to cover for the Pacific when it goes to the yard.

Interesting, thanks for entertaining my idle curiosity. I'm paying more attention to these kinds of things since I started reading this thread.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Motronic posted:

Interesting, thanks for entertaining my idle curiosity. I'm paying more attention to these kinds of things since I started reading this thread.

So here's some random info from around the MEBA flag fleet for the year-

Matson-

C9s are going through their yard period. I think the Mokihana did their yard period already, Manoa is in now and Mahi Mahi goes in the fall. Matsonia, Navigator, Maui and Kauai are their steamships and are either covering for increased cargo demand or for the ship in the yard. Consumer is used to cover for whatever D7 is broken or in the yard, I think there's still one left to go but nor sure.

MLL-

Reflagging 2-4 this year for A and S classes I think. Possibly get the Wisconsin Monday as they need someone immediately for the reflag apparently. Also have a friend on the California that will give me a heads up in someone gets off.

Pascha-

Pacific going to the yard this month and they will break out the Spirit for 3-4 trips probably. They don't really have any dock space but the stuff in SF isn't used for cargo really which is why the Spirit is there.

APL-

Getting rid of their last S12 and flagging in another vessel like the Guam and Saipan this month. They need a shitload of permanent officers, especially 1sts. Everyone else needs 1sts as well but APL has a large number of holes. CMA CGM has to figure out not only what to do about that but what to do with the C11s in the next two years.

They won't be the only ones as the steamships are all pretty much done in 2019 which means a large loss of billets and jobs for the union. Ships like the Consumer have a number of permanent officers just hanging on, waiting for them to get scrapped and the payout. By that point I will either have a permanent 1st gig or have graduated grad school and moved on. People like Shovelbum need to get their group 1 and 1st license asap to take advantage.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

South Korean VLOC went down in the South Atlantic; they found two guys.

http://gcaptain.com/very-large-ore-carrier-stellar-daisy-believed-sunk-in-south-atlantic/

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So I've been kind of loving around at a few schools, got mediocre grades but no degree, working mostly odd restaurant jobs since high school, I'm 24 now. I moved to Canada and back to the US so I guess that counts for something.

My uncle-by-marriage is a Maine Maritime Academy grad and now has a pretty sweet gig in his fifties, he's a Chief Engineer but now mostly works a traveling desk job with a lot of time at home. Anyways, he's kinda sold me on getting into this field. Well, I've always been interested but until I got closer with him I sort of thought of it as this impossible goal since I didn't grow up on the coast and had no idea how it all worked.

My question is, for those who got in, is it worth my time to throw applications at the US schools or would I be better off working up from ordinary seaman? My gut says "both, and with as much chipper attitude and letters of recommendation as you can muster", but I can't really get a straight answer on how prestigious/selective the various maritime academies are, opinions seems to range from "basically West Point" to "Joe Blow's Boating School, Heroin Welcome".

In short if I have mediocre transfer grades and a letter of recommendation or two am I doomed or do I have a shot?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
If you want in an academy you can get in. They are drawing more interest due to the high wages of grads but should still be fairly accessible.

If you are absolutely certain of this path I would start at the 4 year degree programs in the academies and work down to GL and then hawespipe it as a last resort. You will have all sorts of advantages from a 4 year program.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

If you want in an academy you can get in. They are drawing more interest due to the high wages of grads but should still be fairly accessible.

If you are absolutely certain of this path I would start at the 4 year degree programs in the academies and work down to GL and then hawespipe it as a last resort. You will have all sorts of advantages from a 4 year program.

Yeah I recommend one that will lead to an actual engineering degree if you do not already have a degree - probably Maine? I do not suffer from my lack of a degree from Great Lakes because I do not want to be a mechanical or electrical design engineer and I already have a respectable unrelated degree.

edit: Great Lakes of course does grant 4-year degrees to their traditional students but I don't recall them being in anything actually useful.

If you are an idiot who has hosed around at other schools, just give in to the regiment and spoon feeding and you will come out with a degree for almost certain from what I understand.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

lightpole posted:

APL-

Getting rid of their last S12 and flagging in another vessel like the Guam and Saipan this month. They need a shitload of permanent officers, especially 1sts. Everyone else needs 1sts as well but APL has a large number of holes. CMA CGM has to figure out not only what to do about that but what to do with the C11s in the next two years.

i thought apl was dead. all their boxes are billed with cma as the consignee for the inland move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Sold to CMA CGM. Not sure what their long term plan is. All their port engineers are on the East Coast, all their ships are on the West. Still receiving checks from them. Going to be a while before it all shakes out but we have a contract for a bit at least.

• Locked thread