Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Question from someone who's not at all familiar with wrestling: is there any particular reason, in WWWRPG, that you might want to injure your opponent? The match stipulation move Hardcore/Violence treats it as a good result, but I can't figure out why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Injuries are a common plot point in wrestling, and intentionally injuring an opponent is a classic heel/rudo move. That is, as long as it's kayfabe. It's also a common element of hardcore matches for wrestlers to intentionally make themselves bleed/cause minor injuries to increase the heat of a match (see blading). Additionally, wrestlers suffer real, accidental injuries all the time. Retconning the story to attribute an injury to a particular match is a common way to keep a storyline going while a wrestler is out recuperating (eventually they'll be back for revenge!)

Intentionally injuring an opponent for real, on the other hand, is a bad thing (see shoot fighting).

e: Basically WWW assumes kayfabe for that move, but depending on how much backstage matters in your game, you can generate a lot of different plots from whether the injury is real and whether it was intentional.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"Red means green," "blood draws money," that is, bloody matches satisfy fans and make money. For a very long time, promoters controlled who was allowed to bleed in matches, because letting every nobody on the crowd bleed to get themselves over is ultimately bad for business in a number of ways.

"Working stiff" is also a thing with a lot of practical and cultural reasons built around it. But legitimately trying to hurt somebody, which WWW calls "Work Real Stiff," is on a different level and certainly not an accepted thing. But in wrestling history there have been guys, like the Steiner Brothers, who got themselves over by just beating the poo poo out of their jobber opponents because they knew those guys had to take it.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
On top of everything else, it's a modern tradition for hardcore wrestlers to be batshit insane, doing things that will only legitimately hurt people, etc. The character may want to hurt the person, because they are an idiot and/or have some personal beef.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
As a reminider, that is all kayfabe. Though, sometimes, things go to far. Like, when the Rock hit Mankind with a chair to the face without blocking (normally, the person puts their hands up to increase the surface area of the impact so it looks bad but does nothing. In this instance, he was handcuffed and couldn't) not once, not twice, not five times like they had rehearsed, but eleven times and busted Mankind's head open.

Edit: Did I mention this was the same night his family came to see the show and literally left in tears? That wasn't an act, that was actually real because their kids couldn't stand seeing their father's face busted open.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 24, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
And then you have people like Grizzly Smith, who wore a neck brace in his own home after an "injury" angle, so that his own kids cried themselves to sleep every night believing that he was going to die in the rematch.

And yet those kids grew up to be pro wrestlers themselves.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Question from someone who's not at all familiar with wrestling: is there any particular reason, in WWWRPG, that you might want to injure your opponent? The match stipulation move Hardcore/Violence treats it as a good result, but I can't figure out why.

He was an rear end in a top hat to you in a previous match, or backstage and the little poo poo could use a lesson.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

paradoxGentleman posted:

Like others said, you can run it kayfabe or for real, depending on the circumstances.

As for Hardcore/Violence, here's what that actually means:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaFZxiXhMSI

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Does anyone use the Bopper in Spirit of 77? I'm having difficulty fitting using a gang into the kind of adventures that So77 usually rolls with, as it seems less appropriate than it does in AW.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Does anyone use the Bopper in Spirit of 77? I'm having difficulty fitting using a gang into the kind of adventures that So77 usually rolls with, as it seems less appropriate than it does in AW.

Get a tourbus or a van. Give the badguys a few mooks and sometimes let the bopper run roughshod over a group of disorganized civilians. Also, Boppers are really easy to use the 5-O against.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
I've just published two AW-inspired card games! What Ho, World! is a game of Wodehousian humour - feckless gentlemen of leisure, dependable servants and meddling great-aunts. Wizards Aren't Gentlemen, on the other hand, takes its inspiration from Jack Vance and Terry Pratchett - naive apprentices, squabbling wizards, and scheming demons bound into service!

They're pretty far drifted from core Apocalypse World, inspired by Dream Askew - there's no GM and no randomiser, and instead players use a limited pool of tokens to boost moves. Both games have been designed to get you roleplaying as soon as possible, with Fiasco-like character goal setup and mechanics to build and resolve character subplots through the 2-hour or so session. If any of that sounds interesting, go take a look: Link to UFO Press website

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've read 2 books of criticism on Vance (the only ones I know of, actually) and the Wodehouse connection never struck me. Now I'm striking my own forehead :doh:

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I've read 2 books of criticism on Vance (the only ones I know of, actually) and the Wodehouse connection never struck me. Now I'm striking my own forehead :doh:

I really need to read more Vance - I read The Dying Earth while writing this and it was excellent. To round out the early-20th-century nerd literature stable we're also working on a Lovecraft-themed version, The Butler on the Threshold, so keep an eye out if you'd like to play the heir of a rundown New England estate trying to be polite and hide their tentacles at a high society ball :cthulhu:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If you like the vibe of the Cugel/Rhialto books where everyone is acting polite and dignified while talking about stabbing each other in the back, go for the Demon Princes series. Like TDE, the entire series is shorter than one George RR Martin novel, and the books are all available either dirt-cheap from Abebooks/Amazon Marketplace or in a collected ebook format.

Anyway. Has anybody tried running WWW without kayfabe? Like I was thinking of trying it in a Lucha Underground or Chikara format, where "backstage" just means things that happen in vignettes or are otherwise part of the wrestlers' comic-book backstories.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Flavivirus posted:

IIf any of that sounds interesting, go take a look: Link to UFO Press website

I think the YouTube link on this page is broken.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

This sounds very very cool. Sounds like a perfect con game.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Office Sheep posted:

I think the YouTube link on this page is broken.

Thanks - it should be fixed now.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Halloween Jack posted:

Anyway. Has anybody tried running WWW without kayfabe? Like I was thinking of trying it in a Lucha Underground or Chikara format, where "backstage" just means things that happen in vignettes or are otherwise part of the wrestlers' comic-book backstories.

Wouldn't work: pretty much every move is based on audience reaction, and the narrative thrust of the game is how your wrestlers interact with the pre-written storyline.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Wouldn't work: pretty much every move is based on audience reaction, and the narrative thrust of the game is how your wrestlers interact with the pre-written storyline.

Yeah, you can remove the backstage segments from being actually in the backstage, and move them into an office or something (not like Dario's office, but an actual boring office). Or even have it be something that only happens between episodes. But there's a lot of kayfabe ideas tied into a lot of the mechanics.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I'd be curious how you'd replace +Real.

Edit: And if there's NO kayfabe, +Work, since "Work" means "Fake".

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
This week, I put together a tongue-in-cheek one-shot system based on a long-running gag in my real-life group, where the group is a gang of :frogsiren: MUSCLE WIZARDS :frogsiren:. It's PbtA-based, and I'd love some feedback. Here's the link. I haven't got a chance to run it yet (though may tomorrow).

The main divergences from standard 'Apoc World'-style stuff are:
  • There aren't AW-style stats. Instead, you have scores tied directly to individual moves.
  • your health is your bonuses, so messing up when you take harm means permanently reducing a score from a move.
I'm not sure if these things have been done before (I'd love to find out they have been!), and I'm not certain the second will work in longer-term (i.e., not one-shot) games, but I'm excited to try both.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 1, 2017

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

QuantumNinja posted:

This week, I put together a tongue-in-cheek one-shot system based on a long-running gag in my real-life group, where the group is a gang of :frogsiren: MUSCLE WIZARDS :frogsiren:. It's PbtA-based, and I'd love some feedback. Here's the link. I haven't got a chance to run it yet (though may tomorrow).

The main divergences from standard 'Apoc World'-style stuff are:
  • There aren't AW-style stats. Instead, you have scores tied directly to individual moves.
  • your health is your bonuses, so messing up when you take harm means permanently reducing a score from a move.
I'm not sure if these things have been done before (I'd love to find out they have been!), and I'm not certain the second will work in longer-term (i.e., not one-shot) games, but I'm excited to try both.

Why is it 2d12?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

https://plus.google.com/114532354852541722890/posts/gbnwPkmR791

The game of making your Powered By The Apocalypse game.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Flavivirus posted:

I've just published two AW-inspired card games! What Ho, World! is a game of Wodehousian humour - feckless gentlemen of leisure, dependable servants and meddling great-aunts. Wizards Aren't Gentlemen, on the other hand, takes its inspiration from Jack Vance and Terry Pratchett - naive apprentices, squabbling wizards, and scheming demons bound into service!

They're pretty far drifted from core Apocalypse World, inspired by Dream Askew - there's no GM and no randomiser, and instead players use a limited pool of tokens to boost moves. Both games have been designed to get you roleplaying as soon as possible, with Fiasco-like character goal setup and mechanics to build and resolve character subplots through the 2-hour or so session. If any of that sounds interesting, go take a look: Link to UFO Press website

Is Drive Through RPG print on demand significantly different or worse quality wise? I am in Canada and am trying to figure out what the balance of cheapest for me/Quality of components/Gives money to you is.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Zurui posted:

Why is it 2d12?

It was another experiment. I wanted more room to add +1s / -1s to things, so I chose to use a normal distribution with a larger range. The goal was to be able to hand out more bonuses without worrying about swaying moves to be nearly guaranteed success (e,g., +2 vs +3 on 2d6 compared to +4 vs +5 on 2d12). The goal was to see how this felt at the table, because I wanted to know if a pbta-style game could possibly recover some of the crunchy sensation of, e.g., Shadowrun, by using larger dice and more one-off bonuses. That said, I did manage to play Muscle Wizards yesterday and I'm not sure the 2d12 felt great as a player. It seemed that the 'middling success' range felt too big at times. For example, rolling a 15 and thinking "drat, only 5 off" didn't have the sensation of rolling an 8 on 2d6 and thinking it was only off by two. I might try it some more to see if it was just mismanaged expectations, and maybe try it with smaller dice (d8s or d10s) and see how that works out, too.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Office Sheep posted:

Is Drive Through RPG print on demand significantly different or worse quality wise? I am in Canada and am trying to figure out what the balance of cheapest for me/Quality of components/Gives money to you is.

The box isn't as nice and you don't get a printed rules sheet in the box, but the card quality is basically identical (and the pdfs you get include the rules sheet if you want to print it off).

edit: I uploaded some (lovely) photos showing the difference to this imgur album.

Flavivirus fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 3, 2017

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
After accidentally posting the URL in the Apocalypse World thread and scrambling to correct my mistake, posting revisions to the Telepath -- based on commentary from here and elsewhere. Any and all comments are welcome and appreciated.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Anyone got any opinions on the Oni and Kitsune by Christopher Stone-Bush?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
World Wide Wrestling RPG: Why does Creative only tell the players who's booked to win when it's time to end the match? Wouldn't it be better to tell them at the outset so they can build a story into the match?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Pope Guilty posted:

World Wide Wrestling RPG: Why does Creative only tell the players who's booked to win when it's time to end the match? Wouldn't it be better to tell them at the outset so they can build a story into the match?

If I had to take a guess, it's a nod to WWW's status as a game rather than just a collective scripting exercise. The narrative that emerges out of dice and strategies and choices is much stronger when people are competing, on some level, to win, rather than simply playing out a foregone conclusion; it infuses the endeavor with the intent and embodiment of an actor without the exercises and rehearsal and repetition that would come out of actually writing and rehearsing what is, in-world, a script.

It being done before the conclusion lets the players make an ending to their story that fits "what was there all along," lets Creative decide on a plausible winner from the actual actions and outcomes of the match, and provides a unique feeling of satisfaction as players back-rationalize what went on with the newly imposed script, in much the same way that an adaptation or a good prequel gives you pleasure from tying things together, giving something undiscovered within familiar territory.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Also, sometimes cool poo poo happens and the Creative can change his plan on the go without making a mess. If there's a big narrative reason for a match being set in a particular way (e.g. due to backroom dealings) everyone will de facto know the deal anyway, if it's just some rando match it's more fun and flexible that way.

Also protects Creative's sanity when run ins and various mid-match twists are introduced.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

So I'm looking at the sneak peak for Monsterhearts 2E and see there is no more Manipulate NPC move. How are PCs suppose to do this now? Say if Sally the Selkie wants to convince Principle HardAss to let her out of detention early...how does she do that? I don't think Manipulate NPC was all that great of a move and won't mourn it's loss, but I'm missing how everything fits together now that it's gone.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Cocks Cable posted:

So I'm looking at the sneak peak for Monsterhearts 2E and see there is no more Manipulate NPC move. How are PCs suppose to do this now? Say if Sally the Selkie wants to convince Principle HardAss to let her out of detention early...how does she do that? I don't think Manipulate NPC was all that great of a move and won't mourn it's loss, but I'm missing how everything fits together now that it's gone.

Couldn't you just Turn Them On and then spend your String? Doesn't seem like there's much need for a specific Manipulate move.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

admanb posted:

Couldn't you just Turn Them On and then spend your String? Doesn't seem like there's much need for a specific Manipulate move.

Yep, you need to spend strings to Tempt NPCs in lieu of Manipulating them in 2E.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Okay, strings are a fine and good mechanic for social manipulation, but it looks like the only way to gain strings on NPCs with just the basic moves at your disposal is to use Turn them On which isn't always a good fit.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There was a huge backlash for that and I think it'll change in the next draft. There were a few mega posts upthread making your exact points.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
FARFLUNG, the surprisingly okay-looking post-human scifi PbtA (cough allegedly based on an erotic MUSH cough) is half off on Drivethru for the next ~20 hours.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Megazver posted:

FARFLUNG, the surprisingly okay-looking post-human scifi PbtA (cough allegedly based on an erotic MUSH cough) is half off on Drivethru for the next ~20 hours.

I knew it looked sexual! I thought I was being prudish, but something about that art screamed "based on a porn property."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well, "Roleplaying After Dark" was a dead giveaway to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, "Roleplaying After Dark" was a dead giveaway to me.

Huh, I either missed it or it didn't register with me.