Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I feel like the people who care about watch fashion aren't going to care about the looks of the watch if its made by Asus instead of insert-fashion-watch-brand.

Or in other words there's not going to be much cross-shopping between the ZW3 and a Tag Heur or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is my Style an edge case where I'm still at 50% after 24 hours? It does better than my 360 ever did

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I feel like the people who care about watch fashion aren't going to care about the looks of the watch if its made by Asus instead of insert-fashion-watch-brand.

Or in other words there's not going to be much cross-shopping between the ZW3 and a Tag Heur or whatever.

Fair enough.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've had people say to me before, "I like your watch, is it <expensive brand>". I tell them no, it was made by Motorola. You can actually see the interest evaporate in their eyes. Like, you can see the mental calculus of "I like what I'm seeing but I couldn't be caught wearing a device by a phone maker that isn't Apple."

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

I've had people say to me before, "I like your watch, is it <expensive brand>". I tell them no, it was made by Motorola. You can actually see the interest evaporate in their eyes. Like, you can see the mental calculus of "I like what I'm seeing but I couldn't be caught wearing a device by a phone maker that isn't Apple."

I get the same thing about my zen watch 1. I didn't think it was great looking, kind of understated really. People ask what brand it is, and when I say Asus, they lose interest.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Also joining the list of fashion brands, Hugo Boss and Tommy Hilfiger.

Hugo Boss touch:

Tommy Hilfiger TH24/7You:

The TH24/7You, worst product name ever?

Rastor fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 24, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Those look very nice imo

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Rastor posted:

Also joining the list of fashion brands, Hugo Boss and Tommy Hilfiger.

Hugo Boss touch:

Tommy Hilfiger TH24/7You:

The TH24/7You, worst product name ever?

Not shocking, Movado owns the rights to Hugo Boss and Tommy Hilfiger watches, probably just different cases on the same guts like Fossil did with their fashion brands. That said I actually do like the silver Hugo Boss one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

Those look very nice imo

Yeah, those are both nice looking.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lowen SoDium posted:

I get the same thing about my zen watch 1. I didn't think it was great looking, kind of understated really. People ask what brand it is, and when I say Asus, they lose interest.

Try having a Huawei. Then not only do they immediately lose interest but you end up having to answer a "what?" when you say "Huawei"

At this point I just say it's an Android watch. If someone's actually interested in taking the conversation further they'll probably at least be aware of the device on a basic level.

It is absurd how important branding seems to be in the watch market. I can entirely understand appearance being more important than it is in almost any other kind of tech, that makes sense, but if you like the way it looks and how it works who gives a gently caress what name is written in small text somewhere on it?

wolrah fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 25, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Some good poo poo coming out all of a sudden. Unexpected.

wolrah posted:

Try having a Huawei. Then not only do they immediately lose interest but you end up having to answer a "what?" when you say "Huawei"

Literally the only comment I got on my huatch was my uncle saying "nice to see some people still wear classic watches." He didn't even realize it was a touchscreen.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

It's funny because I am not a brand whore at all but I saw the Tommy Hilfiger watch and thought it looks nice but I would never buy something Tommy Hilfiger. I'm currently wearing a pair of Gap jeans, Asic shoes I got on sale at Amazon, a shirt from Target and a Fitbit.

If it was the same watch and it was Ralph Lauren and not Tommy Hilfiger and I would probably consider buying it.

It's weird how brands work.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Still going strong with my 360 v2. Wish it had nfc I guess? That's about it though.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Are there any square screen smart watches coming out.

The square screen is one of the reasons I picked the Smartwatch 3 over all the others.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I don't understand why anyone gives a poo poo about LTE, NFC, or Android Pay on their smart watch.

You are buying things so often you can't bother to bring your phone or credit card out of your pocket to buy something? Jesus. NFC is also useless except for switching settings to a new device as far as I can tell.

My Zenwatch 1 has finally stopped working so great... the last version of zen manager refuses to connect to it and it is slaying my battery as it constantly tries to connect.

I just want an AW 2.0 watch that runs for 48 hours and isn't larger than a loving Casio G-shock. I don't need GPS or any of this other bullshit on it to drain the battery. I got a phone in my pocket. The watch is just an interface for when I'm driving or playing a sport or something and don't want or can't access the phone in my pocket...

Ya'll crazy.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wendigee posted:

I don't understand why anyone gives a poo poo about LTE, NFC, or Android Pay on their smart watch.

You are buying things so often you can't bother to bring your phone or credit card out of your pocket to buy something? Jesus. NFC is also useless except for switching settings to a new device as far as I can tell.

My Zenwatch 1 has finally stopped working so great... the last version of zen manager refuses to connect to it and it is slaying my battery as it constantly tries to connect.

I just want an AW 2.0 watch that runs for 48 hours and isn't larger than a loving Casio G-shock. I don't need GPS or any of this other bullshit on it to drain the battery. I got a phone in my pocket. The watch is just an interface for when I'm driving or playing a sport or something and don't want or can't access the phone in my pocket...

Ya'll crazy.

My closest grocery store recently enabled Android pay so it'd be nice if I could pay with my watch and look like a big nerd.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Wendigee posted:

Ya'll crazy.

Some people exercise without their phones and want the ability to pay for things in that scenario. This is not hard to understand.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

withoutclass posted:

Some people exercise without their phones

This is the explanation for every single one of those "but my phone already does $thing, why does my phone accessory need to do it as well?" questions.

Fitness tracking is a major driver for smart watches of all kinds, so anything they can cram in to a watch is one less thing you need to carry your phone around for. Exercise clothes generally don't have the greatest pockets. I prefer riding my bike and wear cargo shorts so I don't really care, but I can definitely see how someone who runs would appreciate not having a phone flopping around in their pocket while still being able to have all the modern conveniences of connected technology.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Wendigee posted:

Ya'll crazy.

Putting aside whether the implementation in AW is any good, it's not difficult to understand that less movements are required to move your arm over a scanner than it is to take out a wallet and then card.

I mean, it might be a miniscule savings, but...why not?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's certainly a frustration for those of who us who just want a watch as a glanceable notification device but that's what the first gen watches were and basically they didn't sell well enough for anyone to carry on making them. So now we're trying round two with fitness devices!

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Tunga posted:

It's certainly a frustration for those of who us who just want a watch as a glanceable notification device but that's what the first gen watches were and basically they didn't sell well enough for anyone to carry on making them. So now we're trying round two with fitness devices!

All I want is a glanceable notification device, but the problem I had with the 1st gen stuff was that the battery life was garbage and they cost too much. I think there's a market for such a device, but most people I know that ask about my OG360 aren't interested in spending $200+ for a watch (and I suspect they'd be less interested if I told them that the battery on this one in particular isn't good).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Zenwatch 2 that replaced my OG 360 was cheap and has excellent battery life with ambient screen switched on.

Of course Android Wear 2 will probably ruin it all, and I note the Android Wear phone app has just updated and seems to be describing 2.0 in the release notes so I wonder how long it'll last...

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Luchadork posted:

All I want is a glanceable notification device, but the problem I had with the 1st gen stuff was that the battery life was garbage and they cost too much. I think there's a market for such a device, but most people I know that ask about my OG360 aren't interested in spending $200+ for a watch (and I suspect they'd be less interested if I told them that the battery on this one in particular isn't good).

Give me a gen 1 with 48 hours of battery that isn't the size of a hockey puck and and lets me remote control my music/youtube/apps and I'd buy it in a second over one with a speaker, NFC, inaccurate heart rate monitor, etc.

I have a zenwatch 1 and used it for a long time, but charging it every night, especially since the charger was a pain in the dick, and it won't let me control amazon music with it I hardly every wear it now.

Plus recently it stopped synching properly with the Zen Watch Manager so the battery drains in like 3 hours as it tries to reconnect over and over again.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I don't know how much of America you've seen but let's just say I wouldn't stake any future on "let's sell a fitness device to these guys!"

I'll tell you now, the only "fitness sensor" I need is sofa tracker and maybe beer locator.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I bought a mi band 2 to replace my Pebble for notifications alarms and smart lock. I've had it for a few months and basically never check any of the fitness stuff other than the sleep tracking sometimes

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I don't know how much of America you've seen but let's just say I wouldn't stake any future on "let's sell a fitness device to these guys!"

I'll tell you now, the only "fitness sensor" I need is sofa tracker and maybe beer locator.
Seattle, New York, and both the Disneys. So, yeah, don't have my hopes high!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Gear S3 sensor is great. But let's all jerk off to something that doesn't use tizen.

Seriously, I had a gen1 Moto, it was good. But the S3 is what all of this thread wants in a watch. It just needs more app support.

That said, I still have to take my wallet to Target because I get ID'd every time. -_-

Paying with your watch is the coolest thing ever btw.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Gear S3 sensor is great. But let's all jerk off to something that doesn't use tizen.

Seriously, I had a gen1 Moto, it was good. But the S3 is what all of this thread wants in a watch. It just needs more app support.

That said, I still have to take my wallet to Target because I get ID'd every time. -_-

Paying with your watch is the coolest thing ever btw.

Plus the ability to use it on magstrip only readers rather than just android/samsung/apple pay terminals makes for a much more applicable use case.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

But the S3 is what all of this thread wants in a watch.
As an Android developer a) I'm not going to buy a non-Android watch and b) Samsung regularly ruin my day with their lovely phone software and I have no intention of rewarding them with my money. So maybe all of this thread except me. I'll keep waiting for the fabled good Wear device.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Tunga posted:

As an Android developer a) I'm not going to buy a non-Android watch and b) Samsung regularly ruin my day with their lovely phone software and I have no intention of rewarding them with my money. So maybe all of this thread except me. I'll keep waiting for the fabled good Wear device.

Honestly, I agree with you. Samsung sucks. However, the S3 is the best watch on the market. Would I like a good Wear 2.0 watch? Absolutely. Will it be better than an S3? Probably not. All I need is Strava integration and I'm good.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm not a developer, I'd just never give Samsung money again. They make garbage and I don't associate with garbage.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You'd never know by reading your posts!

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Lol my gear s3 is so good. Just bite the bullet ya'll. They just added my fitness pal support too :D

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Lol my gear s3 is so good. Just bite the bullet ya'll. They just added my fitness pal support too :D

Does it support Samsung pay when paired with a non Samsung phone through.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does it support Samsung pay when paired with a non Samsung phone through.

Most modern phones, yes. No Pixel though. Why? Because Samsung.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 29, 2017

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Plus the ability to use it on magstrip only readers rather than just android/samsung/apple pay terminals makes for a much more applicable use case.
It's true that this would be useful when I travel to one of two places: 2003 or the USA.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

It's true that this would be useful when I travel to one of two places: 2003 or the USA.

If you get a choice, pick 2003--for a whole host of reasons.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Gear Fit 2 worth getting? Basically gonna use it like a Fitbit

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

But the S3 is what all of this thread wants in a watch. It just needs more app support.

I like the screen quality/rotating bezel on the S3, but if they did the same hardware with Android Wear I'd be more tempted. Tizen is a deal breaker, and not because I care about third party watch apps (I don't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Wear 2.0 update rollouts:

* Fossil Q Founder
* Casio Smart Outdoor Watch
* TAG Heuer Connected

Everyone else, keep on waiting.