Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Did not know I needed this, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I wish to relive my childhood of probably-lovely 90's edutainment games. Anyone have any recommendations of Let's Plays or other videos? Newer or older games are cool too.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Are there any playthroughs of Dawn of War 2, going full Corruption? Literally every playthrough I've seen on Youtube takes the goodie goodie route like some Emprah-loving loser. I wants me some HERESY, damnit!

Piggybacking on this, I'd love to hear some recommendations for cool folks on Youtube playing RTSes in general, with a bent towards teaching the viewer how to play without necessarily being a full blown tutorial. I've stumbled across all kinds of channels for turn-based stuff (CKII and XCOM videos are a dime a dozen), but the same sort of thing for RTSes, especially older ones like Dawn of War 1 or Command & Conquer or the like seems to be a bit more niche. And even when there is something to watch, it's usually just generic campaign playthroughs or inscrutable skirmish replays. I'm less interested in Blizzard stuff in particular, but I'll give anything a shot. Any flavor of Total War would also be nice.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Many a True Nerd is doing Rome: Total War here. It's quite good.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I'm in the mood to watch some old school dungeon crawling. I've seen the LP of the Legends of Grimrocks and Deathtrap Dungeon. I don't believe there are any of Ultima Underworld? Are there any good off-site UU 1 or 2 LPs Or similar games? Ideally video rather than text based since I often do other things while watching/listening along.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Nice piece of fish posted:

Did not know I needed this, thank you!

I liked yukitsu times, but I can't provide a YouTube link right now.

I'd kind of like to watch an experienced subnautica play through... kind of like interested in the mechanics but right now I absolutely cannot stand playing any more survival games.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

jaclynhyde posted:

I wish to relive my childhood of probably-lovely 90's edutainment games. Anyone have any recommendations of Let's Plays or other videos? Newer or older games are cool too.

They aren't LPs, but Brutalmoose has done videos on quite a few Humongous Entertainment games, and several other edutainment games. They aren't in a nice and easy playlist, but you don't have to look far to find one you've probably played.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I'm in the mood to watch some old school dungeon crawling. I've seen the LP of the Legends of Grimrocks and Deathtrap Dungeon. I don't believe there are any of Ultima Underworld? Are there any good off-site UU 1 or 2 LPs Or similar games? Ideally video rather than text based since I often do other things while watching/listening along.

While not first person perspective, Eidolon's Nethack videos can be fun, as he's rather, erm, good at it.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

John Murdoch posted:

Piggybacking on this, I'd love to hear some recommendations for cool folks on Youtube playing RTSes in general, with a bent towards teaching the viewer how to play without necessarily being a full blown tutorial. I've stumbled across all kinds of channels for turn-based stuff (CKII and XCOM videos are a dime a dozen), but the same sort of thing for RTSes, especially older ones like Dawn of War 1 or Command & Conquer or the like seems to be a bit more niche. And even when there is something to watch, it's usually just generic campaign playthroughs or inscrutable skirmish replays. I'm less interested in Blizzard stuff in particular, but I'll give anything a shot. Any flavor of Total War would also be nice.

Resonance22 does Age of Empires 2 (almost entirely HD edition stuff). It's mostly stream archives of matches between viewers (of all skill levels), but there's also esports tournament commentary and tutorials and balance discussion and that sort of thing. The teaching is mostly by way of example - he's pretty good at pointing out exactly what people are doing right and wrong - and since you've got everyone from people playing their very first online match to some of the best in the world, there's a good range of advice. The main downside there is that it's a bit jumbled, depending on what videos you clicked on and what people screwed up that week.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

jaclynhyde posted:

I believe that TieTuesday is in the process of doing all the Humungous games (Pajama Sam, Putt Putt, Fatty Bear, etc.). Can't find any playlists though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxFYM-Kgtm4
(Pajama Sam 1)

Personally I like the Putt Putt ones better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIvyV5qNKww

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Is there a good King's Field lp out in the wild? Doesn't look like there's anything on lparchive.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Scaramouche posted:

I believe that TieTuesday is in the process of doing all the Humungous games (Pajama Sam, Putt Putt, Fatty Bear, etc.). Can't find any playlists though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxFYM-Kgtm4
(Pajama Sam 1)

Personally I like the Putt Putt ones better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIvyV5qNKww

TieTuesday is a rad and hilarious dude and I literally can't recommend him enough

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Anyone know of a good Witcher 1 lp? I wanna play the newest one but I need some backstory first and the first game plays like hot garbage.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Anyone know of any decent LPs of Prey on Youtube? I'd watch them on the archives, but unfortunately I can't watch it on there for reasons, mainly being that my computer can't handle it at the moment due to my graphics card deciding to be a cranky old fart.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Sociopastry posted:

Anyone know of a good Witcher 1 lp? I wanna play the newest one but I need some backstory first and the first game plays like hot garbage.

Christopher Odd has done playthroughs of all three games and he manages to be fairly watchable. He does read out dialogue (usually bestiary entries and the like) but he doesn't do 'wacky' voices and manages to be pretty chill overall.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Felinoid posted:

I just watched it all right now, and I'm definitely thirding it.

I just watched all of it and am fourthing it. It's basically played like "What if Corvus was a buffoon like Archer, and just rampaged through the game"

But with a lot more fun breaking of the game's map and physics.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Like 5 years ago, I was watching a Syberia LP on the forums and I can't remember who did it. Does anyone remember?

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Are there any informative LPs of Baldur's Gate 1? One that explains the mechanics and things like why they're building their character a particular way or using certain items or whatever? I'd prefer a VLP but either's fine.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Like 5 years ago, I was watching a Syberia LP on the forums and I can't remember who did it. Does anyone remember?

Skippy granola did one. It's on the archive.

Earnestly fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 19, 2017

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Earnestly posted:

Skippy granola did one. It's on the archive.

Thanks!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Does anyone have good recommendations for a Hearts of Iron IV LP? Maybe something like Kersch's how-to for CK2.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
OK, the rec for Outlast earlier was really good and I'm enjoying it, but, I'm looking for something more specific. I'm looking for LPs of adventure games that may be a little spooky. The Blackstone Chronicles LP I mentioned before is a good example of the tone I'm looking for. Stuff with gothic horror.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You might like Echo Night
https://lparchive.org/Echo-Night/

Or maybe even Gregory Horror Show
https://lparchive.org/Gregory-Horror-Show/

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Anything similar to what Spoony did with Phantasmagoria 2 and Ripper?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Does anyone have good recommendations for a Hearts of Iron IV LP? Maybe something like Kersch's how-to for CK2.

I'd watch something from Quill18. Nowhere near the same style as Kersch's stuff, and some of his playlists have facecam but not all of them.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Does anyone remember who did the Disaster: Day of Crisis LP with Geop guesting? For the life of me I can;t find it and it isn't on the archive.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Does anyone remember who did the Disaster: Day of Crisis LP with Geop guesting? For the life of me I can;t find it and it isn't on the archive.
Niggurath, who I think goes by iconoclast187 on YouTube. But it's not available for whatever reason.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Nihilarian posted:

Niggurath, who I think goes by iconoclast187 on YouTube. But it's not available for whatever reason.

That sucks. It was really funny.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Mycroft Holmes posted:

There was an lp here but it's gone now.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
That's a shame, it was really good.

Just tossing a rec. out there for JordanKai's Nier lp. It helpfully includes a hilarious synopsis of the first Drakengard.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

That's a shame, it was really good.

Just tossing a rec. out there for JordanKai's Nier lp. It helpfully includes a hilarious synopsis of the first Drakengard.

unfortunately the nier lp has been abandoned and i dont think jordan is planning on ever continuing it, but the drakengard synopsis is still out there if you wanna experience that game's story

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

FutureFriend posted:

unfortunately the nier lp has been abandoned and i dont think jordan is planning on ever continuing it, but the drakengard synopsis is still out there if you wanna experience that game's story

Dang, that's what I get for reccing before I finish the thing.

For what it's worth the lp is still good even if it's incomplete.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Christopher Odd has done playthroughs of all three games and he manages to be fairly watchable. He does read out dialogue (usually bestiary entries and the like) but he doesn't do 'wacky' voices and manages to be pretty chill overall.

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Can anyone recommend highly educational LPs? I just went through the Silent Steel LP, and all of that submarine history was great. Grey Hunter makes some that I really like, but I'd prefer fewer spreadsheets. Please and thank you.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

Can anyone recommend highly educational LPs? I just went through the Silent Steel LP, and all of that submarine history was great. Grey Hunter makes some that I really like, but I'd prefer fewer spreadsheets. Please and thank you.

my absolute favourites are probably Zorak and co's Endless Ocean and Endless Ocean: Blue World LPs. just watch some chill diving while learning about Greek mythology and marine biology

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Anyone know of a good The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess LP? There's only one that still works on lparchive, but they guys doing it are talking way too much and trying too much to be funny. Just want someone chill doing a 100% playthrough.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Billzasilver posted:

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but try Bobbin Threadbare's "Series of Lectures" LP (Deus Ex and Bioshock IIRC).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Geop's Assassin's Creed LPs are also really great for when he veers off into discussing history.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Suspicious' classic Tomb Raider LPs (I think he did 1 and 2) were interspersed with bits of history and archeological trivia in the more repetitive bits but I don't think they are on the archive; still, worth doing a bit of digging for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's been recommended already, but the Rock Paper Scissors thread is so good we actually goldmined it. So if you haven't read it yet, what are you waiting for?