Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

raditts posted:

Looks like it's not on sale anymore, but I noticed that those RPG Maker games were on sale on Steam this week, and while the idea of paying $80 for that is pretty lol, $32 didn't seem so bad if it's pretty versatile and not a pain to use. My kids are in that phase where they can spend hours making poo poo in custom editors for games, any of you that are familiar with it think it would make a good gift for them?

Mario Maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

raditts posted:

Looks like it's not on sale anymore, but I noticed that those RPG Maker games were on sale on Steam this week, and while the idea of paying $80 for that is pretty lol, $32 didn't seem so bad if it's pretty versatile and not a pain to use. My kids are in that phase where they can spend hours making poo poo in custom editors for games, any of you that are familiar with it think it would make a good gift for them?

One of 'em has a free version that you can use to see how neat the program is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lakbay posted:

Some of the missing QoL stuff in Nier is on purpose, for example there's no auto-saves because Yoko Taro wanted to spite people

I don't really mean that. I think the save system in Nier is just fine.

I mean that a lot of the menus are really annoying to use. And dialogue doesn't have a default selection, so there always 1 additional button press (this could be intentional). The soulslike corpse recovery mechanic is hilariously innept compared to actual soulslikes.

Your quest list, your map that shows you where quests are, and your fast travel map are all discrete systems that don't really share any information with each other. Inventory management is really awkward as well. Every weapon has details you can view, but not from the screen where you equip them.

And yeah, while I respect Yoko Taro's desire to spite people, it doesn't necisarrily make the game better. But Nier actually has a really great save system that's only annoying in a few places.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the more i play horizon the better it gets. i would have preferred a more simple weapon system to the one they have now where your weapons are dogshit at the start and you just quickly buy good ones and keep them the whole game.

like if there were missions to get weapons and you upgraded them to take the different ammo types or whatever idk. not a game designer.

now that i have the good weapons the game is fun as heck and i get in every fight i can...until the inventory gets full even though its fully upgraded. gently caress inventory limits in games

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Gonna have a good weekend:

(No one cares but me :()

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also there's an RPG Maker coming out for the 3DS that *might* be more kid-friendly?

My only experience with those is from the ones that came out on PS1 and PS2.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ularg posted:

why are those in the oven?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Real hurthling! posted:

the more i play horizon the better it gets. i would have preferred a more simple weapon system to the one they have now where your weapons are dogshit at the start and you just quickly buy good ones and keep them the whole game.

like if there were missions to get weapons and you upgraded them to take the different ammo types or whatever idk. not a game designer.

now that i have the good weapons the game is fun as heck and i get in every fight i can...until the inventory gets full even though its fully upgraded. gently caress inventory limits in games

Sell off stacks of crafting mats you have mad extras of. Nobody needs 300 cans of sparker or 25 Watcher Eyes.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

They would be impossible to port probably. I can't even imagine how would adapt map games to a controller. I suppose a pure touch screen would work alright.

Couldn't you just move a mouse cursor around with the analog stick or do they use the keyboard a lot

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, sell partial stacks to leave some room. Like, if you only have full stacks of something, the next one you pick up takes up a whole inventory slot. So sell an extra half stack of things. Otherwise you can clear 20 slots at a vendor and they'll be full after the next 2 things you loot.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Ularg posted:

Those are going to last you way longer than a weekend grats

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah that's like 200 hours of gaming there at the very least

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Couldn't you just move a mouse cursor around with the analog stick or do they use the keyboard a lot

There's a lot of keyboard shortcuts but nothing totally essential I suppose. That just sounds hellish to me, also, the text is all super tiny.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ularg posted:

you're a brave soul trying to play 2 big open-world games at once, I had to make the tough call to only choose one

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Sell off stacks of crafting mats you have mad extras of. Nobody needs 300 cans of sparker or 25 Watcher Eyes.

the game already solved this problem for rocks by not letting you pick them up once you hit the arbitrary limit. it should have done this for other harvest items or maybe not put a limit on the number in a single stack at all. its not fun to have to think about selling your second stack of wood so that you don't have to drop it via menu to pick up something good in the field.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

There's been a lot of talk about it in the Horizon thread, but I'd love for the next one to ditch levels and skill trees and instead have you progress by crafting things from robot parts. Like instead of being able to shoot shock arrows because you got a new kind of bow, you learn how to craft shock arrows from studying sparkers. And new armor would be how you increase your health and you get it Monster Hunter-style by crafting it from pieces you tear off of robots. It'd also let them ditch the kinda boring and straightforward weapon/armor mods and instead make those things properties of the armor or weapons you craft based on what machine parts you use to make them. Like you could get a stealth bonus by marking armor from Stalker parts, nock multiple arrows by modifying your bow with parts from a Glinthawk or something, that kind of thing.

Then just make things like Concentration, Hunter Reflexes, and Silent Strike baseline, with upgrades to those coming again from equipment.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

MinibarMatchman posted:

you're a brave soul trying to play 2 big open-world games at once, I had to make the tough call to only choose one

All 3 are big open world games actually

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

There's been a lot of talk about it in the Horizon thread, but I'd love for the next one to ditch levels and skill trees and instead have you progress by crafting things from robot parts. Like instead of being able to shoot shock arrows because you got a new kind of bow, you learn how to craft shock arrows from studying sparkers. And new armor would be how you increase your health and you get it Monster Hunter-style by crafting it from pieces you tear off of robots. It'd also let them ditch the kinda boring and straightforward weapon/armor mods and instead make those things properties of the armor or weapons you craft based on what machine parts you use to make them. Like you could get a stealth bonus by marking armor from Stalker parts, nock multiple arrows by modifying your bow with parts from a Glinthawk or something, that kind of thing.

Then just make things like Concentration, Hunter Reflexes, and Silent Strike baseline, with upgrades to those coming again from equipment.

sounds good to me

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

raditts posted:

I found RPG maker super easy to use back in the day when I was a young lad, if this RPG maker is anything like that I think it'd be great fun. How old are they? My projects obviously never went anywhere and I lost interest eventually but I thought it was the coolest loving thing at one time

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Arguably, Nier is a small open world game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Real hurthling! posted:

the game already solved this problem for rocks by not letting you pick them up once you hit the arbitrary limit. it should have done this for other harvest items or maybe not put a limit on the number in a single stack at all. its not fun to have to think about selling your second stack of wood so that you don't have to drop it via menu to pick up something good in the field.

I played my entire first run on Very Hard (no noobs) so thankfully I never had quite an overabundance of crafting materials.

But I started going through the game again and if you know to hit up the hidden boxes in the ruins Aloy finds at the very start of the game then you'll stay ahead on crafting pretty much forever afterward.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

its as open world as ocarina of time is imo

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Nier constantly switches genres and one of the genres it switches to is open world game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

an actual dog posted:

Nier constantly switches genres and one of the genres it switches to is open world game.

Right. But it's a pretty small open world.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Have there been any Switchgrets (Switch regrets)? Does the gimmick work as it should?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I mean, you do a lot of open worldy like stuff in those parts, like collect stuff and go on side missions. It's less what the world is like and more what you do in that world.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The world is also way bigger than it appears because there's tons of caves and stuff off the beaten path

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Have there been any Switchgrets (Switch regrets)? Does the gimmick work as it should?

I don't have it yet, but it seems like the gimmick works pretty drat well (it really does switch instantly from TV to handheld mode with no issues) and most of the issues are down to things like build quality and a few stupid design decisions (like the dock not having enough felt to protect the screen from scratches, or how the non-docked power port is on the bottom so you can't have it plugged in while you have it on a table with the stand out).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

an actual dog posted:

I mean, you do a lot of open worldy like stuff in those parts, like collect stuff and go on side missions. It's less what the world is like and more what you do in that world.

Yeah, I'm talking specifically about the size of the open world. It's not very big. I'm not saying it's not an open world. It definitely is.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I remember as a kid getting really into MMOs and coming home from Best Buy one day with Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest 2, and Guild Wars. I think I made the same decision just now. And yea, pretty happy about it, just started Zelda. Was worried my Wii U would be broke somehow cause I haven't touched it since Smash came out.

Oh, and of course Destiny update this Tuesday. But I really needed something new to play.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

it needs some firmware updates for me to be happy. i like it as a system but it does a few stupid things that i find annoying related to sleep mode:

if i leave it docked it has a bugged sleep mode that calls for focus from the tv input when i'm using other hdmi ports. its a known issue with newer tv sets from samsung and lg and a few other makers

If i leave it in sleep mode undocked with zelda running for a while it often wakes up frozen and needs to be restarted

then of course there's the whole early access nature to its feature set and the secrecy over what the final user experience will look like that has me concerned but we shall see how that goes

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There are problems with it that I have not personally encountered so I'm stuck with this awesome thing that switches instantly from handheld to tv-out and which has the fastest system menus I've seen in a system with a UI. The only things that bother me are that if you turn the system off completely it doesn't charge the controllers, and you have to occasionally restart it because it seems like there's some sort of memory leak that makes games (well, Zelda the only game I've been playing) run a little worse if it's been on for a while.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Snak posted:

Every game is an open world game with games of varying world sizes !!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

an open world game is a sandwich

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

raditts posted:

I was curious so I looked on steam and they're all still pretty up there in price! I guess it's all about big sales now I guess, I've seen them except the newest go on for 50-75% off before.

They're all pretty easy to get into and there's default assets and content so it's easy for anybody to spend their first hour and make something playable. I've got no sense for what kids like but RPG Maker Ace Lite is a free version of RM Ace except it caps at how much content you can make. You can make a game but it can only have up to 10 heroes, 20 maps, no script editor, etc. but otherwise it's fully functional without a time limit. If they like that you could get them a full edition, although full Ace is the second most expensive RPG Maker due to being the second newest.

e: In the order of originally released: /e

RPG Maker 2000 and 2003 are the ancient ones but still fully functional if the kids don't mind a kinda dated UI, the 320x240 pixel resolution, and crappy control over mechanical details of the game. The big difference between the two is 2000 has more of a Dragon Warrior battle system and 2003 has a SNES Final Fantasy battle system with ATBs and there's no way to change the battle system between the two. They're still easy to get into, mess around with, and make a complete although dated game in for cheap.

I don't remember much of RPG Maker XP except that it was the first to have parts of the game engine open to the user via a Ruby script implementation. It ran like poo poo back in the day though. I remember there being a lot of little regressions too over 2000/2003, but I don't remember what they are beyond showing a face with a message. This was also when they increased the resolution of their art assets, going from 2000's 16x16 tiles to 32x32 pixel tiles and games played in 640x480 windows.

RPG Maker VX was when they tried to streamline how the creator makes maps and they settled into their current art style. It doesn't give much control over game mechanics but it might be fine for kids messing around, but there's other dumb limitations like how many tilesets you can have. RPG Maker is very good at two steps forward one step back.

VX Ace took VX and expanded on everything. There's more control over gameplay details, no dumb restrictions like four map tilesets, and they added a character creator. You put together a bunch of character bits together to make new character art assets basically. It's pretty intuitive and the bits are already broken up into categories, but the faces are done with a head-on perspective and they all look... bad. The extra control over details can have some gotcha moments too like forgetting to give characters and enemies innate accuracy and it isn't clear why everybody is missing in combat.

MV is intended for power users. It's Ace, they changed the tile set again to 48x48, changed the angle of the faceset generator so it doesn't produce horrific monsters, and added some process to export a game to HTML5 and mobile.

In short: I'd recommend 2000/2003 or Ace with a Ace Lite trial to see if they like it. I'm no good at general stuff but if you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer them. I still mess with RPG Maker here and there as a quick and easy creative outlet so I know a few things about them. They're easy enough that kids will figure out 80% of the functionality in no time flat and it's easy to share and distribute games.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 24, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

raditts posted:

If you think they'd like to learn scripting, then you could get them the bundle or a modern RPG Maker, sure. On the other hand, the early ones I.e. 2000 or 2003 are purely event-based and definitely a kid could work with them. They're not as powerful and the kid won't be making anything special but might have fun putting themselves in a lovely rpg

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Blotto_Otter posted:

I adored Max Payne 1 and 2, and was sorely disappointed by Max Payne 3. I probably should've expected that after development moved from Remedy/Sam Lake to Rockstar. It seemed like mediocre Max Payne fanfic to me. But perhaps things improved later in the game, I only lasted a few hours before I gave up. (The gameplay did nothing for me. Max Payne ain't supposed to be a cover shooter.)

I do know MP3 has its fans, though. I wonder how many MP3 fans played that as their first Max Payne game, versus people like me who had their expectations set with 1 and 2.

(Also I kinda enjoyed Alan Wake and was a bit sad when they got rid of constipated-Sam-Lake-face in Max Payne 2, so maybe I'm just a sucker for Sam Lake.)

I literally was hyped for MP1 before it released as a kid, and I also really liked MP2. I really enjoyed Max Payne 3 as well, but the story isn't nearly as memorable as its predecessors. It's also not fun to have to watch hard-coded cutscenes (that mask the load times). Maybe I enjoyed it more because I've always played Max Payne games on a PC with a mouse and keyboard? Cover is optional, so you can still get by with good aim without having to slow down the pace too much. The gunplay also feels more visceral in Max Payne 3, thanks to the RAGE engine.

Max Payne 3 might actually be easier than the first two, and that's without using cover.

EDIT: Check out CJacob's speedruns, as it requires you to constantly be on the move.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 24, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

stream it if you get it

https://www.twitch.tv/in_training I'm going to stream it for anyone who is curious about it :cheerdoge:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
People who like max Payne 3 are wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What if I don't like it, but love it

• Locked thread