Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

I thought it looked like a cheap new-age Alien wannabe from the trailer, i'm a sucker for Gyllenhaal though.

Gyllenhaal is probably my favourite actor working at the moment but he gets nothing of substance to work with in Life. The characters are laughably underwritten, despite there only being six in the entire film.

Rebecca Fergusson also gets nothing to do.

It's interesting that you say "cheap" because it's actually the first Sony film I've seen in years that looks like it had a proper budget.
Seamus McGarvey's cinematography is very good initially, taking a lot of cues from Gravity more so than Alien.
The sets are good and the CGI of the creature is also good.

Compare it to some Sony films like Ghostbusters, which literally looks like it was shot with a Handicam on the Sony backlot and it definitely doesn't look cheap.

I'd really avoid it unless you absolutely have to see a sci fi film this month.

Also the release date got pushed up to avoid Alien Covenant in May...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yeah since it was Sony I just assumed it was going to be a low budget CGI-fest, sounds like a good redbox movie.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it's pretty much the definition of a 3 star movie. Every review I've seen has said as much.
It's SHOCKINGLY humourless for a script written by the guys who wrote Deadpool

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Snatch Duster posted:

Did Mike and Jay do a shill review of West world or are you idiots from TVIV?

fuckin guess

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The best part of the RLM westworld review was Josh 'The Wizard' getting the chance to really talk about the series indepth without any rude interruptions from Mke or Rich.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Snatch Duster posted:

Did Mike and Jay do a shill review of West world or are you idiots from TVIV?

I'm not from TVIV but we talk about all kinds of stuff in this thread between videos :shrug:

It's better than video games chat at least.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

hemale in pain posted:

The best part of the RLM westworld review was Josh 'The Wizard' getting the chance to really talk about the series indepth without any rude interruptions from Mke or Rich.

the guest appearance by Max Landis was pretty cool too, its weird they spent 15 minutes talking about his new haircut though.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

a bone to pick posted:

the guest appearance by Max Landis was pretty cool too, its weird they spent 15 minutes talking about his new haircut though.

I really disliked that part, except for when max started doing all the crazy hair parts and tricks.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/redlettermedia/status/845010530700025856

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hhahahahashahahahahah

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That will make me happy for the day.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Out of justice, out of their league.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

it took awhile guys but space cop is finally funny

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

:kimchi:

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
Rich's moobs are so big I can't tell if someone photoshopped his head onto Jessie's body.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Space Taxi posted:

Rich's moobs are so big I can't tell if someone photoshopped his head onto Jessie's body.

dude that's his fiancee

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Dmitri-9 posted:

Man vs Nature
Man vs Man
Man vs Himself

Seriously if you want to talk about what makes good conflict in a story you probably shouldn't exclude 2/3rds of the possibilities.

And don't forget my personal favorite

Joe vs The Volcano

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a bone to pick posted:

dude that's his fiancee

They are one and the same. When you see them together it's just a mirrors and 2 by 4s.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Saw Life. It's a movie thay dares ask the question: Hey what if astronauts were very dumb?

My favorite part is when Jake G's doctor character has a epiphany for stopping the monster after reading Goodnight, Moon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Saw Life. It's a movie thay dares ask the question: Hey what if astronauts were very dumb?

My favorite part is when Jake G's doctor character has a epiphany for stopping the monster after reading Goodnight, Moon.

AHAHHA I totally forgot about that part! The look of realisation was SO funny.

Re: what if scientists were very dumb, I thought (at the start anyway) they were going for a "What if scientists WEREN'T dumb?" like the morons in Prometheus but once Ryan Reynolds breaks in to rescue the dude, I knew the jig was up (ya know, 15 minutes in)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm gonna go watch Life this weekend

Please tell me it's not that awful

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Zzulu posted:

It's not BvS levels of bad, but it's not good. Maybe the most unforgiveable thing is how incredibly dull the monster (named Calving) looks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zzulu posted:

It's the most middle of the road ski fi I've seen in a long time. I've forgotten most of it already.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's not BvS levels of bad,

But then, what is???

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I hope they do a HitB on Silence, nobody is talking about this movie.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Medieval Medic posted:

I hope they do a HitB on Silence, nobody is talking about this movie.

the Martin Scorsese thing? Didn't that come out like two months ago?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

But then, what is???

I'm betting on Justice League.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm betting on Justice League.

A friend of mines getting us tickets to the premiere. He's a massive comic book/Batman fan and detested BvS so I can't wait to see his reaction.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

oohhboy posted:

They are one and the same. When you see them together it's just a mirrors and 2 by 4s.

I've been looking for a hobby to stave off my loneliness. Operation Narcissus is a go.

It begins with a mannequin and a beanbag chair.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
"Jesus, that's way too much male nudity" - Jay, fooling no one

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Slaughter High was on Shudder so I tried it. It's loving dull and very boring, no one dies for 40 minutes, and some scenes are so dark you can't tell what's going on. The clips rlm showed are the only good parts so don't bother going out of your way to watch it.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Killpoint was more interesting than Slaughter High. Cameron Mitchell is great as a maniac and his character shoots his TV (but I like to think Cameron Mitchell added that part himself).

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The bullied character from Slaughter High killed him self very shortly after the release of the film, but I can't recall if they mention this in the BOTW episode or not.

The topic of Slaughter High made me wonder if there's enough movies to do a non-Halloween/non-Christmas Horror Movie BOTW with: Valentine, April Fools' Day and New Years Evil?

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the latest chapo reminded me that saying that 300 is straight fascist agitprop and not a satire of it will get you dogpiled and probated in CD

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Yea, the dude had a heroin problem apparently.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

JediTalentAgent posted:

The topic of Slaughter High made me wonder if there's enough movies to do a non-Halloween/non-Christmas Horror Movie BOTW with: Valentine, April Fools' Day and New Years Evil?

There's also Leprechaun and Blood Freak, though I don't think either of those takes place on St Patty's Day or Thanksgiving.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

Slaughter High was on Shudder so I tried it. It's loving dull and very boring, no one dies for 40 minutes, and some scenes are so dark you can't tell what's going on. The clips rlm showed are the only good parts so don't bother going out of your way to watch it.

You gotta do it while drunk with like 4-10 friends who all dont give a poo poo. (No josh's)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tezzora posted:

the latest chapo reminded me that saying that 300 is straight fascist agitprop and not a satire of it will get you dogpiled and probated in CD

lmao at anyone thinking Snyder understands what satire is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I want to make CineD watch this clip and defend Synder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVIB9sGYeUw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Tezzora posted:

Of course the great Barthes and Lacan scholars of CD defend all of the misogynistic, revisionist, racist, and homophobic garbage that saunters into view as works of subversive genius.

• Locked thread