Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Crain posted:

And let's not forget to step out of Japan and remember Mr. "No seriously this is a loving 8ft20", 400ton, 4 second 40 18 year old" Don.

That image of Don in the limo with two models drinking Cognac is my favorite. Of any other image/line in Eyeshield 21 that one cemented how little either the author or artist knew about American high schools.
To be fair that was the lovely world cup arc that was written after the author left.

Dexo posted:

gently caress Sena. Scouts boosters and everyone would be doing whatever it took to get Shin and Gaou

Shin is a goddamn linebacker who can run a loving 4.2

Shin, Gaou, Agon and Yamato are probably the top prospects out of Japan
Yeah, someone like Shin would be a literal monster in real life. A ripped dude approaching 6-feet who can do a 4.2 40. He'd trample people like they were children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rurouni Kenshin is still the best miscellaneous shounen saga of all time, just sayin'! Hiten Mitsurugi style baby.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Fabricated posted:

To be fair that was the lovely world cup arc that was written after the author left.
Yeah, someone like Shin would be a literal monster in real life. A ripped dude approaching 6-feet who can do a 4.2 40. He'd trample people like they were children.

I'll settle for a 5' tall 400 pound round little miracle named BEEFTANK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Mz6kmUacw

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Heavy Metal posted:

Rurouni Kenshin is still the best miscellaneous shounen saga of all time, just sayin'! Hiten Mitsurugi style baby.

Volumes 25 and 26 of Rurouni Kenshin are the best volumes of manga ever, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Disappointed with Paladin of the Silver White so far. Like, it's about "fencing" in the vague terms that it's supposed to be sword fighting rather than a sport. Like it's hyping up "I want to be a hero!" sorta stuff rather than the SPORTS stuff.

Also I'll forever loathe any form of fiction that portrays fencing without a mask as a good idea.

Allarion posted:

To be fair, prince of tennis started with a prodigy. I wasn't a fan of prince of tennis, but it was a pretty popular series for a while.

Prince of Tennis...I'm gonna argue it's not a sports manga. Like, it might have started as an unrealistic sports manga, but it quickly evolved into a tennis themed fighting manga. Like there is zero tennis terminology nowadays, it's just characters shouting attack names and swinging their racquets. We just know that someone is serving and we see the score at the end of the match. I mean I still kinda enjoy it in an absurd way, but it's not really well written in my opinion.

Plus to return to the general point, even if the protagonist was a prodigy he also was playing the sport his whole life.

Fabricated posted:

The only real problems with Eyeshield 21 was the typical Japanese stereotype racism thing that seems to permeate any sports manga with foreigners in it, and the last completely unnecessary arc that was written after the main writer left.

Wait, the last arc was written without the main writer? That...that explains so much. Like I think I remember hearing a rumor along those lines but could never find much confirmation when I looked into it.

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 23, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Black Man™ having zero gravity running is established fact in ES21

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
And his name was... Panther... Yeah....

That said, I did like him, there should have been more of him before the dumb World Cup since it was just the American team match w/ Deimon, then you saw him during Shin's training during the summer and then boom, don't see him until endgame.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Eh. Panther never really bothered me much. It's a dope nickname for Patrick Spencer.

He was like the exact opposite of the usual black dude portrayal in Anime and Manga.

The "breathtaking run of the black man" or whatever it was is dumb as gently caress. But at some point this happens in all media and I just kinda laugh at it now.

And the racist coach story was done pretty well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"oh, a new chapter of vector ball. how nice, it has been a while."

the translations skipped 9 chapters. fuuuuck you, buddy.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-23/zatch-bell-makoto-raiku-abruptly-ends-vector-ball-manga/.113772

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I should get around to reading Kenshin on day.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

"oh, a new chapter of vector ball. how nice, it has been a while."

the translations skipped 9 chapters. fuuuuck you, buddy.

whats even the point of this lol

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pierson posted:

I should get around to reading Kenshin on day.
The Kyoto arc of Kenshin remains to this day what I would probably consider the top-to-bottom best singular shounen arc. Lots of memorable villains and fights with a great build up to a great finale.

I've never really been a fan of the arcs that followed, despite Enishi being probably the best overall villain in the story and it having at least one really shocking scene/panel (folks probably know the one I mean). It got really silly around this point (one of the villains had a straight up modern day grenade launcher) and outside of Enishi every other villain was throwaway and forgettable.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Nate RFB posted:

The Kyoto arc of Kenshin remains to this day what I would probably consider the top-to-bottom best singular shounen arc. Lots of memorable villains and fights with a great build up to a great finale.

I've never really been a fan of the arcs that followed, despite Enishi being probably the best overall villain in the story and it having at least one really shocking scene/panel (folks probably know the one I mean). It got really silly around this point (one of the villains had a straight up modern day grenade launcher) and outside of Enishi every other villain was throwaway and forgettable.

Kuroyama posted:

Volumes 25 and 26 of Rurouni Kenshin are the best volumes of manga ever, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Speaking of PoT, I've never understood the difference between a "fast ball" and a "heavy ball".

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

darkgray posted:

Speaking of PoT, I've never understood the difference between a "fast ball" and a "heavy ball".

Top spin. You can hit a fast ball flat with minimum spin on it and it's just fast. A Heavy ball is a fast ball that has a lot of spin which "fights" the return of it.

At least in real tennis.

In PoT it's a loving Hadoken

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The fast ball is the one that accelerates so rapidly, it travels back in time to both annihilate the dinosaurs, and jumpstart mankind's evolution with the energy released. The heavy ball is the one so powerful that its gravity well causes the opponent's racket to knock it straight down, and also form a black hole.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah the arcs after that one weren't quite as great, but I did love the spotlight Yahiko got. His chapters were pretty good and his development made me seriously want a spin-off series where he's the protagonist.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hopeford posted:

Yeah the arcs after that one weren't quite as great, but I did love the spotlight Yahiko got. His chapters were pretty good and his development made me seriously want a spin-off series where he's the protagonist.

Yahiko no Sabaktou was such a good one-shot.

Would kill for a series about like Yahiko and Soujiro

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

seems a bunch of vector ball has been scanned and its just being uploaded in a strange order

Jose fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 23, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I hope Makoto Raiku comes up with an idea he's satisfied with, because I like the sense of humor in his comics.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This track from the anime version of the Kyoto arc will forever be burned into my brain, far more so than any OP or ED from that show, because of how baller it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k7oaV0Csc8

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I hope Makoto Raiku comes up with an idea he's satisfied with, because I like the sense of humor in his comics.

he'll eventually get that maths manga he's desperate to make

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Man now I really want to know what that twist he rejected was.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rangpur posted:

Man now I really want to know what that twist he rejected was.

Guy has the best rejected ideas.

Related just got done reading Zatch Bell(Gash Bell? Not sure what to call it.) It is super good. It looks like I need to go read Vector Ball.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 24, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I love that type of face he draws with the two parallel lines used to draw eyes.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I like the bugged out face he gives his characters when they're running.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
pity about animal land, though. he tried to jump straight into tearful dramatic struggles without doing any of the necessary setup first, and it just did not work.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

I like the bugged out face he gives his characters when they're running.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Dr. Stone is so good :allears: I really like all characters and I like what direction they seem to be taking the plot.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i didnt like the protagonist of animal land, and didn't understand why the kids were thrown back/forward in time (probably due to speedreading...?). giller giller giller is probably one of the better anime bad guy names though

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Oh boy That doesn't sound great if he was given editorial he felt was so bad he felt more comfortable ending VB over continuing.

Keeping in mind Animal Land has some real walls to balls stuff going on.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Has there ever been a shounen manga with a female protagonist? This is odd question but I realized most common settings could work with a girl than boy but not be shoujo.

e: I miss Soul Eater now before it went bad what a waste of potential.

Also I hope they license Birdmen someday.

Alder fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 24, 2017

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Hungry Marie could probably fit that bill. :v:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Alder posted:

Has there ever been a shounen manga with a female protagonist? This is odd question but I realized most common settings could work with a girl than boy but not be shoujo.

Medaka Box?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Alder posted:

e: I miss Soul Eater now before it went bad what a waste of potential.

Also I hope they license Birdmen someday.

Promised Neverland.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It kinda depends whether you're referring specifically to battle manga or just anything published in a shounen magazine (because if it's the latter there are plenty with female protagonists, though still usually written with male readers in mind).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kurohime, though yeah it is still very clearly written with male readers in mind.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think by definition anything that is "Shounen" has male readers/demographic in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I think by definition anything that is "Shounen" has male readers/demographic in mind.

To be fair, recently battle shounen have expanded to try and attract female readers, like Hitman Reborn with all the characters being pretty boys.