Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

enojy posted:

Constant gyro aiming with the Pro controller feels a little awkward, albeit very accurate. Default sensitivity doesn't require a lot of wrist movement, but as someone who played very little Splatoon 1, I couldn't help but do most of my aiming with it, so I was constantly "steering" the pro controller around and around. I'm gonna try tonight's test out with a Joy-Con in each hand. I tried that in Zelda and loved gyro aiming the bow with one hand.

That sounds basically like the grip, then. It's accurate and requires little movement, but it does feel a biiit awkward. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Feenix posted:

You know what, I think the worst part is it left a bad first impression and this was the only chance I had to play in the TestFire. Maybe a lot more playing would have changed my mind. I will never know. :\

I mean, you could always try again later, because I'm genuinely not feeling your complaints. It seems to boil down to "I was not able to win immediately, and I am not willing to put forth the effort necessary to reach that point." Oh well.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i've enjoyed wrecking people who've never played before and i look forward to being solidly c+ when the actual game comes out

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Takoluka posted:

I mean, you could always try again later, because I'm genuinely not feeling your complaints. It seems to boil down to "I was not able to win immediately, and I am not willing to put forth the effort necessary to reach that point." Oh well.

I actually got kind of good towards the end of my hour. I was getting pretty good with the dual blasters, learning to dodge and what not.

I also knew going in that gyro was the way to go and made myself play with gyro aiming. I was horrible the first 30 minutes and it was like a lightbulb went off in my head and I got significantly better.

You've got to put the time in, goons.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gyro rules, fools!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Takoluka posted:

No, I was saying. This was the only time slot I had to play in the entire test fire period, unfortunately.

And yes, it was discouraging to repeatedly die and never even get close to killing someone, but that wasn't the majority of my issue. It just didn't feel that great.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i played the full hour. i might buy this game when it is released. there looks like clothes power ups and poo poo you can equip right, in the full game? dualies4life

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I feel like the roller is for dumb people who can't aim well, but want to feel useful somehow. So I liked it a lot!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Remember if you haven't played Splatoon before today that this is a sequel and mechanically it has new stuff but plays a lot like the original. If you're dying a lot you're probably playing against experienced players and that's why. When the real game comes out matchmaking will likely put you with people around your experience level after awhile.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Dualies or gtfo

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Well, my demo weekend is over now (going to be in the woods until Sunday evening). After an hour of play, I'm preordering this game immediately.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Pretty fun. Didn't 'love' the gyro controls this time around. The dual pistols and their special are awesome. Don't find the dual pistols strife move all that useful but I was having trouble facing forward with the gyro

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Wendell posted:

I feel like the roller is for dumb people who can't aim well, but want to feel useful somehow. So I liked it a lot!

:respek:

For anyone who felt like they were being crushed, keep in mind a lot of people playing likely logged tons of time into the original game. Matches aren't so one-sided in real scenarios, but gyro aiming is the key to breaking through the newbie barrier (unless you're a Roller scrub like me)

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Hey got like 10 extra mins, now first hour officially over.

Having played the original, this already looks like an excellent follow-up. Can't wait to see the dozens more guns!

The dual guns are pretty boss, but Curling Bombs seem kinda weak so far.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Dual pistol roll is good for flanking and juking a roller speeding at you

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I'm going to sit here and listen to the title screen music forever.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Takoluka posted:

I'm going to sit here and listen to the title screen music forever.

:yeah:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Wendell posted:

:same:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Gyro aiming is not bad but will absolutely take some getting used to, probably mostly just the proper muscle memory-- Zelda seems to have spoiled me by not taking gyro into account until I hit a button to "begin using gyro aim using the current camera location as the baseline", so that was loving me up a bit

Also there was more than one situation where I'd be about to attack someone, hit Y to recenter gyro properly and my character would promptly spin 90+ degrees so either recentering is buggy or I didn't quite grok what it was supposed to be "keyed" to in my limited playtime

It'd be cool if they would let you do some offline practice by just literally giving you an empty arena but oh well, hopefully the real version has a demo with something like that so I can figure out if I can train myself enough to actually have proper fun with this

flail and sob
May 3, 2009
This game is very much my poo poo. It's a shame it makes my wrists feel weird after playing.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Wendell posted:

It's an easy weapon, but you can easily get picked off from afar once people 'get' how to deal with them. They work well with someone covering you

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Dualies definitely had the best kit in the demo. Splattershot had the terrible balloon bombs and the special seems pretty useless. Oh well!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I loved that bomb that goes in a straight line with the dualies. I felt like I covered significant ground with it.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Gyro aiming is not bad but will absolutely take some getting used to, probably mostly just the proper muscle memory-- Zelda seems to have spoiled me by not taking gyro into account until I hit a button to "begin using gyro aim using the current camera location as the baseline", so that was loving me up a bit

Also there was more than one situation where I'd be about to attack someone, hit Y to recenter gyro properly and my character would promptly spin 90+ degrees so either recentering is buggy or I didn't quite grok what it was supposed to be "keyed" to in my limited playtime

It'd be cool if they would let you do some offline practice by just literally giving you an empty arena but oh well, hopefully the real version has a demo with something like that so I can figure out if I can train myself enough to actually have proper fun with this

Hitting Y centers the camera behind your dude, I think.

I found that Zelda totally readied me up for the Gyros. I used the joystick to turn left and right, but the gyro to aim. The gyro also resets if you use the joystick (like in zelda), so I was killing squids left and right.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kirios posted:

I loved that bomb that goes in a straight line with the dualies. I felt like I covered significant ground with it.

There was a sub weapon like this in the original that was a motorboat that speed in a straight line and exploded on impact with anything.

This is even better, because it bounces, and I still swim after it and then SURPRISE pop out for stealth kills.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Splatoon good. Splashdown is so good.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Recentering doesn't center on where you're aiming but which way your SquidKid is facing. You can use it for fast 180 or 90 turns, the stick for wide movements, and the gyro for precision aiming

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Feenix posted:

And yes, it was discouraging to repeatedly die and never even get close to killing someone,

Don't make that the goal. Next time focus on covering the stage.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Covering the stage no only gives you points and its how you win but it also restricts where an enemy can be. Enemy squids can't dive into enemy ink and are massively slowed down if they're standing in it while also making it so it takes less damage to outright kill them. Cover an area and you can tell where an enemy is approaching because they'll have to ink the area if they want to get close to you. Also the map you can bring up to SuperJump also shows ink spread in real time. You can use it to see where the enemy team is based on where their ink is spreading onto your turf

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!

Yep, they have a firing range to test out guns / aiming and you can also do "Recon" running around empty arenas (for the maps in rotation at the time)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Don't make that the goal. Next time focus on covering the stage.

Oh that definitely was my focus. Maybe it was just bad matchups but every game ended with about 3/4 of the board covered by the enemy team. EVERY single game. I would go out and kinda try avoiding people and pushing back our territory but that just got me picked off too...

Spellman
May 31, 2011

If you want to warp to a teammate, actually make sure that teammate is good enough to cover you while you come down. A mistake people make a lot is jumping right back to where their team is, but it telegraphs your landing point to the other team so if your side isn't 'winning', you're going to land straight to your death

So if it doesn't work the first time, just take a route and travel there by squid (also you can cover sections that your team forgot to close to your base, since the other team is likely not going to get to those spots)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jimmy Hats posted:

Dualies definitely had the best kit in the demo. Splattershot had the terrible balloon bombs and the special seems pretty useless. Oh well!

The burst bombs are actually pretty good, but their use is very specialized - generally they're good for longer rangers, or very close range. If you try to use them like a grenade you'll be very disappointed, but for fighting chargers at long range you can lob them from relative safety, and if you're right on top of someone throwing them right at the floor is often more effective than trying to track them with the gun.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That hour of splatoon passed by way too fast.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Recentering doesn't center on where you're aiming but which way your SquidKid is facing. You can use it for fast 180 or 90 turns, the stick for wide movements, and the gyro for precision aiming

Yeah that would be The Trick that I missed in the middle of the fights. Whoops.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I thought the splattershot special was great. Yeah its not hard to dodge but all the specials in this game telegraph like mad. The point is a matter of timing or plain area denial.

Plus it was just a very pleasing sound firing off all those rockets.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I popped like 3 or 4 balloons.

Welp, that's my Splatoon 2 story. Thanks for listening, guys.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

I thought the splattershot special was great. Yeah its not hard to dodge but all the specials in this game telegraph like mad. The point is a matter of timing or plain area denial.

Plus it was just a very pleasing sound firing off all those rockets.

I will never betray the Splattershot

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm gonna play again tonight and I will enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Spla2n was fun

• Locked thread