Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/HitScreen/status/845354059766939648

These are nice, but I'd like another trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When you are watching the trailer for the trailer for the Spiderman trailer, reflect on monkeys' paws.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

There will almost definitely be one attached to GOTG2

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Maybe GBS is more your style, friend. Plenty of racists over there too!

Electromax
May 6, 2007

McCloud posted:

Basically, RT rewards conformity and cookie cutter movies in the superhero genre while eschewing movies that deviate from the formula.In fact, a common complaint of BvS was that it wasn't "as fun as Marvels movies!"

Logan's at 93%, it feels pretty different than many superhero movies (to the point where you could watch and enjoy it without even being aware it was one). It also wasn't much fun in the colorful quippy "Marvels movies" sense. But I spose Jackman has a lot of goodwill at this point compared to Cavill or whatever.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Why do we always get the boring trolls

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Phylodox posted:

I dunno, I definitely rank Batman v Superman pretty low down on the superhero movie totem pole. It's just so loving dull, which is about the worst thing one of these movies can be.

Again: Thor 2, the boringest poo poo ever: +60%

Veotax
May 16, 2006

McCloud posted:

I was honestly more bored my BvS.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Arist posted:

Why do we always get the boring trolls

defending DCEU films at this point just reeks of contrarianism

How many times do we have to keep going through this poo poo in this thread? christ...

don't any of you people find it even slightly odd that the people who try defend these films are SMG or people who gimmick post like him?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

McCloud posted:

was infinitely more bored by BvS than Thor 2

Thor 2 had a dull-rear end script but it had actors with charisma who were, like, trying and having fun

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

was infinitely more bored by BvS than Thor 2

Thor 2 had a dull-rear end script but it had actors with charisma who were, like, trying and having fun

Yes, Natalie Portman seems to be having a blast, man. And Hopkins is pretty jazzed to be there too!

I mean jesus, even George Lucas managed to get a better performance out of her.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What I don't get about the Thor films is why do you have Natalie Portman and Kat Dennings basically playing the same character. Also the Thor movies have the most romantic plotting in them, and it's real bad.

But never mind that ------>Archer and Armstrong movie from the guy that directed Zombieland<-------

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Race Realists posted:

defending DCEU films at this point just reeks of contrarianism

How many times do we have to keep going through this poo poo in this thread? christ...

don't any of you people find it even slightly odd that the people who try defend these films are SMG or people who gimmick post like him?

I like Man of Steel and BvS because I think they're awesome movies that do cool things with the characters :shrug:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Eh, maybe I'd think different if I've actually been reading any of these BvS posts, but I don't mind McCloud's shite. People can like BvS without ending every other sentence with "and people who don't like it are wrong idiots who don't understand art!"

The whole RT rating system does get pretty misleading; no matter how much someone consciously understands that it's an aggregate of reviews that recommend/don't recommend the film, people tend to just treat it like a barometer of film quality anyway. BvS isn't the only film to get skewed so much by it either.

gently caress Ratner though! :buddy:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BvS Extended Ultramega Alpha Golden Eagle Cut is a good slow burn superhero film. I'll re-watch that cut of BvS over any Marvel movie tbh. My only real gripe with BvS is the Martha scene; Cavill's delivery was so clunky. [edit] But it was just as convincingly weak and dumb as Agent Coulson's death "turning the tide" or whatever.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

teagone posted:

BvS Extended Ultramega Alpha Golden Eagle Cut is a good slow burn superhero film. I'll re-watch that cut of BvS over any Marvel movie tbh. My only real gripe with BvS is the Martha scene; Cavill's delivery was so clunky. [edit] But it was just as convincingly weak and dumb as Agent Coulson's death "turning the tide" or whatever.

I like the Martha moment personally. It's goofy and clunky, but gosh darn it I like it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I like Man of Steel and BvS because I think they're awesome movies that do cool things with the characters :shrug:

Explain to me the cool things that BvS does that one of the million pieces of existing media haven't already done better. Even bizarro Batman gunning down, maiming, and driving over thugs has been done better. I'm a huge Superman apologist, I even love schlocky poo poo like Superman IV and Max Landis's Supes comic, but BvS is the single worst use of those characters in a long long time. It's boring, it's grim, it's lifeless and uninteresting. It's a 3 hour lecture on how to misuse classic characters.

"Two superheroes fight over a misunderstanding" is the dullest premise that modern comics can poo poo out, and BvS is a quarter-million dollar studio tentpole built around it.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Given the choice between watching Iron Man 2, Thor 2, or BvS, I'd go with Thor 2 every time because Tom HiIddleston and Chris Hemsworth can carry a scene. BvS was just a beautifully shot but otherwise joyless trudge intensified by a catastrophically boring conclusion. Iron Man 2 was... there. It was a movie. I watched it once and there is almost zero chance that I will ever watch it again because I do not care about anything at all that happened in that movie. So I guess Thor 2 is the best of the worst?

I'd watch MoS over all three because even if it's a lackluster Superman movie, it's a good sci-fi movie.

Ireallylikeeggs fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 24, 2017

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Eh, maybe I'd think different if I've actually been reading any of these BvS posts, but I don't mind McCloud's shite. People can like BvS without ending every other sentence with "and people who don't like it are wrong idiots who don't understand art!"

The whole RT rating system does get pretty misleading; no matter how much someone consciously understands that it's an aggregate of reviews that recommend/don't recommend the film, people tend to just treat it like a barometer of film quality anyway. BvS isn't the only film to get skewed so much by it either.

gently caress Ratner though! :buddy:

I'm not arguing that people who dislike it don't understand art, that's putting words in my mouth. I am saying that the RT system is misleading at best, and compared it to less than stellar movies to make my point.
For all the whining that CineD is a hivemind, people here get mighty upset when you argue against the consensus.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Explain to me the cool things that BvS does that one of the million pieces of existing media haven't already done better. Even bizarro Batman gunning down, maiming, and driving over thugs has been done better. I'm a huge Superman apologist, I even love schlocky poo poo like Superman IV and Max Landis's Supes comic, but BvS is the single worst use of those characters in a long long time. It's boring, it's grim, it's lifeless and uninteresting. It's a 3 hour lecture on how to misuse classic characters.

"Two superheroes fight over a misunderstanding" is the dullest premise that modern comics can poo poo out, and BvS is a quarter-million dollar studio tentpole built around it.

This is such a stupid argument. May as well stop making action movies then because no one is ever going to top Terminator 2! No need for any more romantic comedies, pretty woman did it the best! Marvel is doing Guardians of the galaxy? Guess they haven't heard of a little thing called Star Wars episode 5 :smug:

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I cant explain it in a giant essay like SMG if that's what you're asking for. Zack Snyder is one of my favorite directors. His Superman comes across like a really honest and down to earth dude who will do his best to help out despite the fact that everyone hates him, and I liked Broken Batman because in the end he recognizes all of the crazy Batman stuff as being misguided. I guess I just see it as more optimistic than most people.

I dunno, the first two Superman movies are also two of my favorite superhero movies so maybe I'm just a weirdo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess my biggest problem with BvS is that literally three-quarters of all the posts in the BSS movie thread are about it.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It's an interesting movie :shrug:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think you're all wrong

imo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I still haven't seen the third Batman movie, the Bane one.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

zoux posted:

I still haven't seen the third Batman movie, the Bane one.

You should, for Bane's weird voice alone.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

You know what I want? A faithful movie adaptation of the crazy early/mid 90s Dark Horse Tales of the Jedi comics. I want to see dick chinned Sith with names like Ludo Kresh fight dorky early jedi and other dick chinned Sith named Naga Sadow and all the goofy poo poo that came out of those comics.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Electromax posted:

Logan's at 93%, it feels pretty different than many superhero movies (to the point where you could watch and enjoy it without even being aware it was one). It also wasn't much fun in the colorful quippy "Marvels movies" sense. But I spose Jackman has a lot of goodwill at this point compared to Cavill or whatever.

Ratner has a point, but not because of McCloud's point, which I think is completely off.

Rotten Tomato takes reviews that are complex and nuanced, where the writer thinks a movie has some flaws but also some interesting things to say, and turns it into an automatic rotten tomato. It dumbs down the critic's take and when compounded, can give a bad impression of a good movie.

But OTOH, movies that are usually in the way low scale of things tend to be stinkers critically as well, across the board. Maybe its the virtue of a large enough sample size, flawed info conglemerated enough and in enough quantity to give actually accurate information.

Which is a long way to say that BvS is still a bad movie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Rotten Tomatoes score is fine if you actually take it as it's meant to be taken. Which is a percentage of reviews that thought a movie's positives outweighed its negatives. It's a very simple thing. Where it fails is when people start considering the percentage the same as a letter grade. A 50% movie isn't a failure of a film. It just means it was divisive and split as to whether people enjoyed it. If a film has a high score or a low score on Rotten Tomatoes with a good number of reviews it's an easy gauge of what you're likely to see. If the score is middling in that 40-60 area then it's pretty much a tossup.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

X-O posted:

The Rotten Tomatoes score is fine if you actually take it as it's meant to be taken.

The problem is that it's likely a sizeable chunk of people don't.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

teagone posted:

The problem is that it's likely a sizeable chunk of people don't.

That's not a problem with Rotten Tomatoes, that's a problem with people.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

McCloud posted:

I'm not arguing that people who dislike it don't understand art, that's putting words in my mouth.
I was agreeing with you, my child. I appreciate that you don't do those things.

(that I've seen)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

X-O posted:

That's not a problem with Rotten Tomatoes, that's a problem with people.

That's what I meant. People are stupid basically. People like Brett Ratner.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Given the choice between watching Iron Man 2, Thor 2, or BvS, I'd go with Thor 2 every time because Tom HiIddleston and Chris Hemsworth can carry a scene. BvS was just a beautifully shot but otherwise joyless trudge intensified by a catastrophically boring conclusion. Iron Man 2 was... there. It was a movie. I watched it once and there is almost zero chance that I will ever watch it again because I do not care about anything at all that happened in that movie. So I guess Thor 2 is the best of the worst?

I'd watch MoS over all three because even if it's a lackluster Superman movie, it's a good sci-fi movie.

Man of Steel has Chris Meloni and Richard Schiff, which makes it definitely watchable for me, but I'd rather watch Sam Rockwell devour scenery or just look at The Dark World, which I find really visually engaging.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I still really like Man of Steel. You know despite stupid poo poo like the death of Pa Kent or Superman casually jumping over a truck thrown at him and letting it crash and cause an explosion instead of just catching it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Man of steel
Iron man 2
Thor 2
32 places down... Bvs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remind me why the Pa Kent death scene is bad, I'm not sure I've seen the movie the whole way through.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Remind me why the Pa Kent death scene is bad, I'm not sure I've seen the movie the whole way through.

He fades away into a tornado while Clark looks on yards away. Pa Kent dying is nothing new to the story of Superman. Having him run to the car after a dog while Clark is right there is just stupid.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The dog made it back but costner just stands there and dies without even trying

Plus there's the fact that Clark could move so quick no one would see him move and just make up some bullshit

site fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

X-O posted:

I still really like Man of Steel. You know despite stupid poo poo like [...] Superman casually jumping over a truck thrown at him and letting it crash and cause an explosion instead of just catching it.

You can see Clark turn around and witness the destruction it caused. It distracts him, to where one might assume he's thinking to himself "Well poo poo, that was a big explosion. I probably should have caught that and not flew over it. gently caress, now the building might collapse. I messed up." Something to that effect, and while he's mulling over the poor choice he made, Zod sucker punches him. It's Clark's first day on the job in Man of Steel as a superhero who had only just begun to grasp his strength; he's bound to make mistakes. That's my rationale regarding that instance among others in the film that most people criticize.

• Locked thread