Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BraveUlysses posted:

auto pay to your credit card, collect those reward points or cashback, pay it off every single month.

Can't pay most student loans with a credit card, normally has to be EFT.

I can pay my rent with a credit card, but I get smacked with a $30 "convenience fee" if I go that route. And if you pay more than 24 hours late, your only payment options are CC ($30), moneygram ($15 charge from the apt, plus whatever a $850 moneygram costs), or drop off a money order in person (no night-drop box, and no checks or EFT when you're more than 24 hours late). Pretty sure they only allow auto pay on EFT.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

It was weird visiting a US Costco and finding the card there was a visa instead of MC, like. It is here.

It used to be American Express (at US stores) until pretty recently.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Got hired on as a trainer at work. I still have my 4x12 field EMT job, at $11.17/hr. But the trainers work at $25/hr, a few days a week when we have new hires. I think I can double dip and work from 0800-1245 on training days, and then work my 1300-0100 shift.

It's not full time, but that's a ton of money for me at $25/hr, and would be on top. Two hours pays for my health insurance :kimchi:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Congratulations!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I think I can double dip and work from 0800-1245 on training days, and then work my 1300-0100 shift.

A 12 hour shift is tough going man, don't know how you do it. Congrats though!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Try 12 hour shifts on a continental rotation.

I am not an EMT yet I know their pain.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

angryrobots posted:

The first renters in my wife's old house, subletted the place without telling us, trashed the place, and left four full truck and trailer loads of poo poo I had to haul off. We won a judgement for over $4k, but in SC it's nearly impossible to collect a private party debt.

I've signed them on to 2 collection agencies in the past couple years, and just checked tax records and they no longer have any vehicles registered in the local counties so it may be time to sign them up again. Maybe they moved to a state where I can garnish wages. gently caress them, I hope I drive them into divorce. :)

Reasons why I will never own rental property, Exhibit A.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's not so bad once you get used to having absolutely no life during the work week. I've been doing 4x12's every week for the last three years, and it's a nice change from the 6x7's I was doing for the bakery.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

I found a walmart gift card in my glovebox that had a $47 balance on it (i have no idea where it came from) so i went and picked up a Gold's Gym incline bench. Did a few basic workouts on it and I clearly need more than a simple bench so it's getting packed up and returned tomorrow. I have $150 in Amazon GCs from Christmas still so I'm gonna just buy a full bench set that has decent reviews.

If you or someone you know has a Costco membership they just rolled out a really nice bench with the summer seasonal stuff for $60, might be worth checking out.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Trip report, 2002 W210 E55 AMG.

I went to O'hare yesterday to pick a friend up, and her flight was delayed by an hour and a half. So of course I went and checked out and drove the E55 I'd seen on Craigslist.

The good:
-It handles well, it goes like stink. It's everything I'd thought it was since I wanted one when they first came out. They say don't meet your heros, I met one of mine and it lived up to the expectations.
-The owner is a really good guy, works at the Mercedes dealership and does all his own work, getting a discount on parts.
-Has a lot of maintenance done: From the e-mail he sent me, "It will need rear tires, i have one used rear tire that i can give you. fronts are about 7/32. I recently replaced EGR valve, rear felx disk, front inner and outter tie rods, front lower control arm bushings, left upper control arm. Center support bushing and bearing. Front brakes are around 7-8mm. Replaced at about 125kmi. They last 50k. Previous replacement was at 74k. Rears were replaced about a year ago so they are around 8mm pad thinkness."
-Holy poo poo that engine. supercharged 5.4L V8, SOHC, three valves and two spark plugs per cylinder.

The bad:
-I'd prefer a black E55 with unpainted wheels
-Rusty body panels, which I'm OK with because it means I'm not paying ten grand because 'no rust.'
-I can't justify a fifth car to the wife
-I can't justify blowing five grand (I think he'd come down for the right buyer) on a fifth car right now anyway
-Tires are alright but it would need new ones soon, and those would run me about a grand

All in all, I think I'd be hard-pressed to find one in better mechanical shape around here. The thing felt rock-solid (more so than my old E39 and that's saying something) and it had bells and whistles on its bells and whistles. Power rear headrests, power rear sunscreen, etc... THAT ENGINE THOUGH.

I should never have driven it because now I want one even more now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Geoj posted:

If you or someone you know has a Costco membership they just rolled out a really nice bench with the summer seasonal stuff for $60, might be worth checking out.

Ooooooohh that's good to know I'm in the market for one.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Reasons why I will never own rental property, Exhibit A.
Trust, we don't want it either. It sat for sale for months in the stagnant market a few years ago before we decided to rent.

I'm tempted to walk away, but my wife doesn't want to screw up her credit. Hell if she had walked away originally she'd have a ton more cash and past halfway to it running off her credit report. I guess she wants to keep her options open to run off from me. :v:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Is that like, a... a Setter-Dachshundhuahua? :3:

It's a kei-dog :kimchi:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

CornHolio posted:

2002 W210 E55 AMG.

power rear sunscreen

I now cannot live without a power rear sunscreen. I thought it was kitsch when I saw it at first, but when someone randomly has their brights on behind you or is getting really annoying when you're both in the left lane with traffic ahead of you, rolling that thing up is the ultimate "gently caress you, prole" feeling.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

I think I can double dip and work from 0800-1245 on training days, and then work my 1300-0100 shift.
I have done that before. It's physically possible. You won't enjoy it.

Check your company's policy on maximum hours per shift/day/week and/or minimum nuber of downtime hours between work.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

It used to be American Express (at US stores) until pretty recently.

Aye, it was Amex here too previously. Now it's a Capital One MC. Funny that they went from same to different.

http://imgur.com/8NoyA1o

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

$11.17/hr. But the trainers work at $25/hr

Out of curiosity, what is minimum wage in your state?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Adiabatic posted:

I now cannot live without a power rear sunscreen. I thought it was kitsch when I saw it at first, but when someone randomly has their brights on behind you or is getting really annoying when you're both in the left lane with traffic ahead of you, rolling that thing up is the ultimate "gently caress you, prole" feeling.

Also great for driving East before sunset.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Adiabatic posted:

Whoa, I never thought about using it that way.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Adiabatic posted:

You can also put messages on it so it could literally say gently caress you, prole.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

alternate.eago posted:

You can also put messages on it so it could literally say gently caress you, prole.

Yeah, Adiabatic, let's see your message to the sap sucking proles.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
FYGM

gently caress you got Mercedes :v:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Geoj posted:

If you don't have a Costco membership just get a couple of ~$20 gift cards there and use that as your entry pass. It gets you in and you can spend beyond whatever is on the gift card and just use cash or your debit card. I did that when I was single. Costco owns; just dropped $200 there yesterday - $40 of which was on a ~13 pound USDA Prime brisket that is getting smoked this weekend. USDA Prime for about $3/pound :allears:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

CornHolio posted:

I should never have driven it because now I want one even more now.

I know the W210 has kind of a poo poo reputation (probably justified because of things like that panel rust) but I've always wanted to find a nice E420 or E430, the V8 power is addictive and they drive so well. I'm sure it's even more impressive with a blower on top. :haw:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

zundfolge posted:

I know the W210 has kind of a poo poo reputation (probably justified because of things like that panel rust) but I've always wanted to find a nice E420 or E430, the V8 power is addictive and they drive so well. I'm sure it's even more impressive with a blower on top. :haw:

You know you want to make the absolutely worst choice in your life :v:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

I wouldn't hesitate if there was any chance that it could be registered in the US.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I miss the days when Costoco served real Coca~Cola and Hebrew National hotdogs.

http://www.ocweekly.com/restaurants/the-150-costco-hot-dog-hebrew-national-outkirkland-brand-in-6612637

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Seminal Flu posted:

Yeah, Adiabatic, let's see your message to the sap sucking proles.

Adiabatic posted:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

Ooooh, didn't even think of checking there!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Saw a nice house online a few hours ago, so I just got pre-approved for a mortgage and asked my realtor friend how to get the ball rolling in viewing the house and possibly making an offer. 🏠

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

I'm the giant mono viper.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
:grovertoot:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Cage posted:

Saw a nice house online a few hours ago, so I just got pre-approved for a mortgage and asked my realtor friend how to get the ball rolling in viewing the house and possibly making an offer. 🏠

Have you been thinking about buying for a while? I don't mean to dissuade you or be snarky but it is worth asking.

I really like owning my house. I like not having to think about making it look nice for semi-annual inspections by the property manager or cutting holes in the wall to add network jacks. I built a 10x10 shed because I wanted one and the only person I had to consult was my wife. Then again, I also just got stuck with a bill to repair the pressure switch on my washing machine, I had to replace the flapper in the toilet last week, I need to spray along the foundation this week to keep the creepy-crawlies at bay, etc.

On balance, owning a house makes sense for me both financially and lifestyle-wise but I laid the groundwork for buying over the course of about three years (attended a first-time homebuyers class, fixed up credit, arranged and saved for down payment, etc.).

All that said: good luck and I hope you love your house as much as I do mine.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Cage posted:

Nice, congrats.

I did basically the same with our last home and mortgage, we weren't actively looking so I started the loan process online. When it got to underwriting, they sent me a letter needing an explanation for the credit check that they, the same bank did at the beginning for pre-approval. I wrote them just about the snarkiest explanation letter I could conjure.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Magnus Praeda posted:

Have you been thinking about buying for a while? I don't mean to dissuade you or be snarky but it is worth asking.

I really like owning my house. I like not having to think about making it look nice for semi-annual inspections by the property manager or cutting holes in the wall to add network jacks. I built a 10x10 shed because I wanted one and the only person I had to consult was my wife. Then again, I also just got stuck with a bill to repair the pressure switch on my washing machine, I had to replace the flapper in the toilet last week, I need to spray along the foundation this week to keep the creepy-crawlies at bay, etc.

On balance, owning a house makes sense for me both financially and lifestyle-wise but I laid the groundwork for buying over the course of about three years (attended a first-time homebuyers class, fixed up credit, arranged and saved for down payment, etc.).

All that said: good luck and I hope you love your house as much as I do mine.
Well, my credit score is right at 700, I have enough saved to pay 10% and all closing costs out of pocket and the rest of the balance is what I was preapproved for. I've been thinking about it for a while. The roof was redone in 2007, and my dad drove by today and confirmed that it was a 50 year roof. I dont know jack poo poo about most handyman stuff but the house is less than 5 minutes from where I live now so I can always bother my brother and father for help or sleep here if I blow up the plumbing or something. Its a small house, 2 beds 1 bath no upstairs 860 square feet. Pretty close to as simple as you can get.

So yeah Im basically super green and inexperienced and jumping into something I probably shouldn't.

Cage fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 24, 2017

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Of all the things to impulse buy, a house is really not one of them.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cage posted:

Well, my credit score is right at 700, I have enough saved to pay 10% and all closing costs out of pocket and the rest of the balance is what I was preapproved for. I've been thinking about it for a while. The roof was redone in 2007, and my dad drove by today and confirmed that it was a 50 year roof. I dont know jack poo poo about most handyman stuff but the house is less than 5 minutes from where I live now so I can always bother my brother and father for help or sleep here if I blow up the plumbing or something. Its a small house, 2 beds 1 bath no upstairs 860 square feet. Pretty close to as simple as you can get.

So yeah Im basically super green and inexperienced and jumping into something I probably shouldn't.
860s.f. is a good sized one bedroom apartment, not a two bedroom house.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
10% down you're going to be on the hook for LMI for a while. too bad rates have gone up twice in the past 4 months

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Cage posted:

If you've got the $ for 10% down and all closing costs out of pocket (though asking the sellers to cover closing costs is something your realtor should suggest as part of the negotiations, there's no guarantee it'll last to the final offer), you're probably in a fine place to be doing this financially. You'll learn the handyman stuff as you go along (but please learn to do it up to code--don't become "that loving P.O."). Don't cheap out on an inspection and try to be there for it so the inspector can point things out to you and why they are/aren't problems.

Sounds like a nice place, though. My house is only a couple sq. ft. larger (990) but same 1-floor 2br/1ba. I do plan to build a garage in a couple years, though. Doing anything more than an oil change on a gravel parking pad blows.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Holy gently caress how have I not posted this earlier!!!

YEAR OF THE HOUSE!

BraveUlysses posted:

10% down you're going to be on the hook for LMI for a while. too bad rates have gone up twice in the past 4 months

Not mortgage rates. The FED raised interest rates but mortgages haven't rocketed up yet.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

YEAR OF THE HOUSE!

Not mortgage rates. The FED raised interest rates but mortgages haven't rocketed up yet.

I don't know where you're at, but I refi'd in October with a 2.875% rate on a 15 year and the same bank is at 3.375% for the same loan now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

YEAR OF THE HOUSE!

they absolutely have gone up since late october. i shouldn't have said 4 months its more like 5.

http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/graph/

• Locked thread