Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

like yeah, those were horrible things and the torture video is particularly vile but

pointing at an individual being awful and saying, "look, their entire race is like this" is literally textbook racism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Inept posted:

brain damage from a biking accident would explain a lot actually

this one time a black! popped out of my birthday cake and it ruined my day

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
This thread loving sucks and I hope each and every person defending video game man child breaks their loving legs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
When I was a freshman in HS my iPod video got stolen while I was playing football with a bunch of Mexican kids. We had all our bags on the side of the field.

I assumed it was the kids I was with and raged against "those MEXICANS" for a bit until I found out it was some white wannabe wankster rear end in a top hat that did it and then I felt monumentally loving stupid and have tried not to repeat that mistake or in general judge entire groups of people based on the actions of a few members of that group.

:shrug:

Then the school police officer told me he couldn't do poo poo about it when I went to him to try and get my iPod back. He said I could fill a police report out but and I quote "nothing is gonna happen unless he tries to take it to an Apple Store."

loving pigs (see what I did there :v:)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's like if you read about Anders Breivik and go, huh, well I guess that tears it. White people are evil now - I saw one of them being VERY evil, so they're all like that.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Android Blues posted:

like yeah, those were horrible things and the torture video is particularly vile but

pointing at an individual being awful and saying, "look, their entire race is like this" is literally textbook racism

Of course that's terribly wrong, but we do it to whites don't we. Whites are evil oppressors I thought? Whites are ignorantly racist too?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Of course that's terribly wrong, but we do it to whites don't we. Whites are evil oppressors I thought? Whites are ignorantly racist too?

No we don't and your insistence on being personally insulted every single time someone brings up colonial Europe is amazing lol

It's possible to be white and not be complicit with any atrocities while at the same time acknowledging the racism that exists in the world you know.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

christ you have a victim complex huh

also you haven't addressed that you were literally doing this very thing you say is "terribly wrong" just now so...maybe stick on that first

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
No point arguing with racists. He already admited he hate black people.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Android Blues posted:

christ you have a victim complex huh

also you haven't addressed that you were literally doing this very thing you say is "terribly wrong" just now so...maybe stick on that first

Real racism is very ignorant. It's absurd to think all 1 race is bad, and all another race is good. People are people.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
colonialism or black on black violence which is the better fact to derail a discussion and offend the other side with

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
why are we still here? i though poo poo wizard or whatever already won the argument???

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Inept posted:

brain damage from a biking accident would explain a lot actually

I've hit my head through various sports activities a lot TBH

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Real racism is very ignorant. It's absurd to think all 1 race is bad, and all another race is good. People are people.

Some people are just broken individuals who will not let their bubble get popped. They preach hate and produce nothing of value, you just gotta let it go.

Waterbed Wendy posted:

why are we still here? i though poo poo wizard or whatever already won the argument???

I did, they moved onto the next argument. That is how arguments go, peasant.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

lovely Wizard posted:

I did, they moved onto the next argument. That is how arguments go, peasant.

???

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

See, in a society that truly values free speech, both sides of this debate would have their words weighed and the important take-away from it should be the discussion and ideas it promotes, with both "sides" ultimately contributing to a single whole, that being an expansion of knowledge on a topic and an understanding of opposing points of view.

When you start shouting about "NAZIS" and say that one side is objectively wrong and so on, then there's no expansion of knowledge nor any consideration of other perspectives; there's just people who want to lecture others.

egregious nonsense, there's no law in the Essential Nature of Good Dialogue that you literally can't say someone else is just wrong

and certainly not in the principle of freedom of speech, in fact disallowing people saying, "hey you're stupid and your ideas are garbage" is the opposite of a free speech valuing society you dum dum

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

like christ how does 8 bit scholar tie his shoes in the morning? does he use velcro? slip-ons?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

:lol:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

making a delicious dialogue pie, unfortunately the person i'm making it with brought a big mound of tuberculosis runoff instead of sugar and butter so i guess we just have to settle somewhere in the middle like good, Free Speech loving people do

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lovely Wizard posted:

produce nothing of value

peasant.

lol check out this czarist scum

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Android Blues posted:

like christ how does 8 bit scholar tie his shoes in the morning? does he use velcro? slip-ons?

he gets help from poo poo wizard, as well as access to large jorts/trilby collection

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
For gym shoes you only tie them once, and then rarely after that, you can just slip them on

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

For gym shoes you only tie them once, and then rarely after that, you can just slip them on

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

also fwiw, and in the interests of Dialogue, i agree with this and i think most sensible people do too

the problem of racism isn't good vs. evil, it's that there are one group of relatively normal people who are advantaged over another group of relatively normal people, and there is systematic and cultural discrimination against the second group. that doesn't make the discriminated against group any more virtuous: in fact, it's likely to put them under greater stressors and increase rates of dysfunction in the community as things like lower access to employment, education, community programs, housing take their toll

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

like i've lived in super deprived majority white communities and you get gang violence, vandalism, endemic drug issues, antisocial behaviour there too. economics and consistent lack of access to education and opportunity are a huge part of how places get that way. it's just that in the case of minority majority areas with high rates of social dysfunction, racism is a factor in how the area became deprived to start with, and most likely continues to be one

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

how about that guy with the video games, wild eh?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Android Blues posted:

like i've lived in super deprived majority white communities and you get gang violence, vandalism, endemic drug issues, antisocial behaviour there too. economics and consistent lack of access to education and opportunity are a huge part of how places get that way. it's just that in the case of minority majority areas with high rates of social dysfunction, racism is a factor in how the area became deprived to start with, and most likely continues to be one

a good post

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
http://www.tmz.com/2017/03/21/wyclef-jean-mistaken-pullover-real-suspect-arrest-video/

What about this though? The cops were looking for a black guy with a bandanna and now Wyclef is flipping his poo poo because it wasn't him, but it was a guy that matched his description who actually did it.

Wyclef is using this like the police are being racist. How is that racist?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like they weren't being racist and Wyclef is being a bitchmo.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

http://www.tmz.com/2017/03/21/wyclef-jean-mistaken-pullover-real-suspect-arrest-video/

What about this though? The cops were looking for a black guy with a bandanna and now Wyclef is flipping his poo poo because it wasn't him, but it was a guy that matched his description who actually did it.

Wyclef is using this like the police are being racist. How is that racist?

if it was a white person with money getting arrested you bet your rear end they would probably sue

you cant make a golf ball in the united states without getting sued

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Android Blues posted:

egregious nonsense, there's no law in the Essential Nature of Good Dialogue that you literally can't say someone else is just wrong

and certainly not in the principle of freedom of speech, in fact disallowing people saying, "hey you're stupid and your ideas are garbage" is the opposite of a free speech valuing society you dum dum

Well fortunately I'm not disallowing anybody anything, but I am saying that we are, culturally, really bad at criticizing ideas, because it seems that when we are critical of people's ideas, it tends to be very all or nothing. Somebody who holds different opinions from you is a Bad Person and many are happy to see them punished for what they say.

I want everyone to speak without fear, generally speaking. I think silencing a person out of moral authority was lovely when it was done by conservatives in the 1950's and it's lovely today; it's the same hypocritical nonsense repeated time and time again.

The fact that people either choose not to see it or worse yet, see it and agree with it anyway, troubles me. We should not be so insecure about...well, anything, really, to be so bent out of shape when people express ideas we don't like.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Who is being silenced though dawg the man has millions of viewers and over 3 million subscribers.

You just come off as butthurt and whiny screaming about being silenced every time someone calls you a bad name. Like... lol?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 24, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

Who is being silenced though dawg the man has millions of viewers and over 3 million subscribers.

You just come off as butthurt and whiny screaming about being silenced every time someone calls you a bad name. Like... lol?

As if we don't both know that this is hardly the first time this exact same debate has come up with any number of different people.

And I'm not screaming about anything. I am hoping to convey, if nothing else, a different perspective.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

As if we don't both know that this is hardly the first time this exact same debate has come up with any number of different people.

And I'm not screaming about anything. I am hoping to convey, if nothing else, a different perspective.

That was unfairly directed at you fair enough. We are talking about JonTron in this thread though and I don't understand why people have to pile in to go "WELL ACTUALLY HE MEANT" like dude let the man speak for himself. We all heard what he said and we don't need 3rd parties to deconstruct exactly why it wasn't racist or whatever. We just wanted to laugh at the YouTube man and we can't do that because it has been 30+ pages of debating about his politics instead.

But anyway. At some point like... why should I have to constantly debate with people about how racism is bad and we shouldn't be racist and whatnot? Do I really have to give every opposing viewpoint equal consideration because everything is just as valid as anything else if you really think about it?

Like c'mon dude it's just.... would you enjoy living in a society where people have to constantly debate about whether rape is bad? No. You just want people to say "look at that loving idiot" when someone says "actually rape is maybe not bad?"

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 24, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well fortunately I'm not disallowing anybody anything, but I am saying that we are, culturally, really bad at criticizing ideas, because it seems that when we are critical of people's ideas, it tends to be very all or nothing. Somebody who holds different opinions from you is a Bad Person and many are happy to see them punished for what they say.

I want everyone to speak without fear, generally speaking. I think silencing a person out of moral authority was lovely when it was done by conservatives in the 1950's and it's lovely today; it's the same hypocritical nonsense repeated time and time again.

The fact that people either choose not to see it or worse yet, see it and agree with it anyway, troubles me. We should not be so insecure about...well, anything, really, to be so bent out of shape when people express ideas we don't like.

Advocation for the idea that non-whites are inferior sub-humans isn't just some harmless idea on the same level as preferring Skippy peanut butter to Jif, you dipshit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
the advocation of 8-bit scholar by the coward who what now

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Did a new Jon trim come out?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Advocation for the idea that non-whites are inferior sub-humans isn't just some harmless idea on the same level as preferring Skippy peanut butter to Jif, you dipshit.

It's just like, an opinion, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

This thread needs SMG

• Locked thread