Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

DoctorGonzo posted:

They are predicting rain for quali :rms:

gently caress it, I'm not getting up then. I want balls to the wall quali pace to see the pecking order. I've already seen Stroll wipe out in junior formulae numerous times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

The Ron one was my favorite

You're welcome

Theophany posted:

GramCracker is next on my poo poo list. I'm sick of seeing sexy Fernando nonchalantly wink at me.

Dear god, please don't :ohdear:

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 24, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Honda's IndyCar program is entirely run and funded by Honda America. Corporate has basically no involvement. So if you were wondering why it's so much less of a shitshow, there's your answer.

Also, I think we can all agree now that McLaren were not hiding anything, they were in fact fully aware of how bad Honda hosed up and are sincerely considering dropping them. The most frustrating thing about this is that, were the FIA to allow more testing and raise the limit on engines drivers can use, I don't think it'd be that hard for a competent organization to show up and produce a decent engine in year one. And yet here we have Honda scaring away all potential manufacturers.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

I don't think it'd be that hard for a competent organization to show up and produce a decent engine in year one. And yet here we have Honda scaring away all potential manufacturers.

And McLaren signed a contract to 2024.* loving lol.

* yes, I know any contract can be broken but they had Mercedes engines and jumped for Honda who hadn't been involved since the early 90s for gently caress's sake.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress sake McLaren you bunch of clowns. It's like nobody there gives a toss.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

And McLaren signed a contract to 2024.* loving lol.

* yes, I know any contract can be broken but they had Mercedes engines and jumped for Honda who hadn't been involved since the early 90s for gently caress's sake.

It was still unquestionably the right decision given the information they had at the time. Finding a new manufacturer partner in an era that's heavily tilted toward manufacturers, and one that was willing to invest hundreds of millions of dollars, was a huge coup. No one could've foreseen how bad Honda would be.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Well, maybe Stoffel can win a prize for funniest looking dad.
Not gonna win much else with that honda monkey engine.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

It was still unquestionably the right decision given the information they had at the time. Finding a new manufacturer partner in an era that's heavily tilted toward manufacturers, and one that was willing to invest hundreds of millions of dollars, was a huge coup. No one could've foreseen how bad Honda would be.

By your own admission and the rules there was absolutely no way Honda could've been competitive given the development rules and the fact they were starting from scratch and who they were competing with (i.e. existing and competing manufacturers). It was a great coup for nostalgia, but in reality Mercedes had a 2 year head start. Hell, for all the poo poo Red Bull gave Renault they were still way ahead of the curve compared to Honda.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GramCracker posted:

Dear god, please don't :ohdear:

Too late. :smug:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

By your own admission and the rules there was absolutely no way Honda could've been competitive given the development rules and the fact they were starting from scratch and who they were competing with (i.e. existing and competing manufacturers). It was a great coup for nostalgia, but in reality Mercedes had a 2 year head start. Hell, for all the poo poo Red Bull gave Renault they were still way ahead of the curve compared to Honda.

Yeah, no, I didn't say that. Everyone knew there'd be a learning curve, no one knew they'd be grossly incompetent four years later. You are underestimating the importance of being a manufacturer team.

wicka fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 24, 2017

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Lmbo you sonnovabitch :argh:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

Yeah, no, I didn't say that. Everyone knew there'd be a learning curve, no one knew they'd be grossly incompetent four years later. You are grossly underestimating the importance of being a manufacturer team.

Well yeah, you did. There's no way Honda had the legal wiggle room to develop their power units to be even remotely competitive - competency aside. The question is whether or not McLaren would've been financially better off by being a second placed customer team to a works team or with whatever payoff they're getting from Honda for being a former powerhouse relegated to a midfield laughing stock.

GramCracker posted:

Lmbo you sonnovabitch :argh:

<3

Theophany fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 24, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

Well yeah, you did.

I literally didn't, don't be this guy.

Theophany posted:

The question is whether or not McLaren would've been financially better off by being a second placed customer team to a works team or with whatever financial payoff they're getting from Honda for being a former powerhouse relegated to a midfield laughing stock.

The question is whether it's better to try to win and fail or to not try at all and be content with mediocrity. Is it surprising at all that they went with the former?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

McLaren aren't a midfield laughing stock, they aspire to such levels.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

I literally didn't, don't be this guy.

The question is whether it's better to try to win and fail or to not try at all and be content with mediocrity. Is it surprising at all that they went with the former?

Sure, ok, well it's easier to be critical in hindsight. I was really excited about a McLaren Honda partnership when it was announced, but when you have two former WDCs and objectively poo poo hot drivers and you're cruising in the midfield there has to be a point at which you think "we done screwed up". The fact they're still with Honda this far in boggles the mind, whatever financial backing they bring to the table. I'd have been on my knees begging for Mercedes to supply engines by Melbourne last season.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Theophany posted:

Unless you explicitly state the engine so I can imagine the note then I just don't believe a stranger on the internet :colbert:

I have an Audi TT roadster 180, 5v turbo 1.8l. Perfect for country roads

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 24, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

Sure, ok, well I guess it's easier to be critical in hindsight. I was really excited about a McLaren Honda partnership when it was announced, but when you have two former WDCs and objectively poo poo hot drivers and you're cruising in the midfield there has to be a point at which you think "we done screwed up". The fact they're still with Honda this far in boggles the mind, whatever financial backing they bring to the table.

Again - is it better to try to win and fail, or to give up on winning entirely and accept mediocrity? McLaren are not going to rise to the heights they once were as a Mercedes customer, that's just a fact. I seriously doubt any new manufacturers are coming into the sport. So why would they do anything other than stick with Honda, unless their very existence is on the line? And lord knows we're nowhere near that point yet, especially now that Brown (maybe Boullier?) has heavily hinted that Ojjeh and the Bahrainis are willing to inject cash into the team.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Can't possibly be as good as a Mk2 Scirocco 16v with blown synchros and a sunroof that doesn't close evenly.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

1500quidporsche posted:

Can't possibly be as good as a Mk2 Scirocco 16v with blown synchros and a sunroof that doesn't close evenly.

That is a drat funky car. Reminds me of the Delorean. My friends dad had one years ago in silver. I was the only one that liked it as I was the only one that saw a Delorean. I had quite the imagination as a kid.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 24, 2017

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Theophany posted:

Sure, ok, well it's easier to be critical in hindsight. I was really excited about a McLaren Honda partnership when it was announced, but when you have two former WDCs and objectively poo poo hot drivers and you're cruising in the midfield there has to be a point at which you think "we done screwed up". The fact they're still with Honda this far in boggles the mind, whatever financial backing they bring to the table. I'd have been on my knees begging for Mercedes to supply engines by Melbourne last season.

Reminds me of the Rossi era at Ducati...

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Noice. I dont have a drop top, so I have to rely on dropping the windows when I approach a tunnel to get a load on.

wicka posted:

Again - is it better to try to win and fail, or to give up on winning entirely and accept mediocrity? McLaren are not going to rise to the heights they once were as a Mercedes customer, that's just a fact. I seriously doubt any new manufacturers are coming into the sport. So why would they do anything other than stick with Honda, unless their very existence is on the line? And lord knows we're nowhere near that point yet, especially now that Brown (maybe Boullier?) has heavily hinted that Ojjeh and the Bahrainis are willing to inject cash into the team.

Yeah, I get what you mean. It's tough because McLaren have been a traditional 'privateer' team. If only they could harness the developments of their road car division. I get the impression that they could build at least as good as Honda at this point and would probably be a better branding opportunity, but provide nowhere near as much financial backing.

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.
Is there any reason (besides lack of interest in an F1 return) that BMW couldn't be McLaren's sugar daddies? Like any behind the scenes bad blood that I'm not aware of? I mean, there was a BMW V12 in the gold plated engine bay of the original McLaren F1...

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Human Grand Prix posted:

Their Indycar engine is actually good, as opposed to bad.

that's part of why it'd be such a brilliant troll that I have a hard time believing its not intentional.

Theophany posted:

It'd be interesting to see how their IndyCar V8 'de-tuned to not lunch itself' competes with their V6 'brick in a washing machine.' For all the terrible press they're getting I've loved the Hondas I've owned for their ridiculous against the prevailing wind manufacturing ethos, infuriating as it often is.

I even got rid of my absolutely brilliant diesel Honda (their first diesel, one of the finest diesel engines ever mass produced) to switch to a BMW V8 because BMW are the engine savants and I've always held their V12 M12 in the highest regard. It was like going from a happy marriage to an abusive relationship.

I've never owned a Honda and my only experience with BMW V8s is my wife's X5M. I'm not sure if it's all the Dinan parts and performance tuning or if the reliability is just poo poo from the start...but goddamn abusive relationship is right. It's a company car and we don't pay poo poo for it, but if we did we'd have to sell our house. There have been months where I swear it was at the dealership more than it was in our garage.

On the other hand, 600+ hp/torque and all wheel drive make for a hell of a lot of fun even in a big-rear end brick of an SUV. :getin:

I giggle like a school girl every time she emasculates some guy in his mid-life crisis sports car. The last time it happened she rolled the window down at the next light and asked him if his car was broken and dude's wife nearly fell out of the car laughing.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

A Scirocco is a great car if you want to do an impression of jolyloln palmer

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

Noice. I dont have a drop top, so I have to rely on dropping the windows when I approach a tunnel to get a load on.

Yeah, I get what you mean. It's tough because McLaren have been a traditional 'privateer' team. If only they could harness the developments of their road car division. I get the impression that they could build at least as good as Honda at this point and would probably be a better branding opportunity, but provide nowhere near as much financial backing.

Must just be financial. They'd have to invest millions instead of getting paid millions, plus they wouldn't be receiving anywhere near the engineering and marketing benefit that Honda gets. Still, I agree, and that seems like something they could've started long ago. Hell, maybe the deal with Honda should've been a UK-based joint venture with McLaren Automotive.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Also, I think we can all agree now that McLaren were not hiding anything, they were in fact fully aware of how bad Honda hosed up and are sincerely considering dropping them.

I don't think anybody thought McLaren was hiding anything from day 1 of testing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I don't think anybody thought McLaren was hiding anything from day 1 of testing.

Quite a lot of people were suggesting that their reported talks with Mercedes were just a smokescreen.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Khablam posted:

A Scirocco is a great car if you want to do an impression of jolyloln palmer

My best friend growing up had one of those. She high-centered the front bumper on a concrete parking block once, and we were able to lift it and move it back off the block with ease.

The two of us probably weighed about 205 pounds altogether.

Great little car. Wonder where it ended up.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Those times posted earlier are wrong. Quali is 6am GMT, Race is 6am BST. I think the other times are for Sky's coverage

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I dont think its going to rain today.

My seats are amazing :)

Oh the sound. The sound! They are much louder. Less muffled too. Not the v10 scream but its much more guttural and violent

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Quite a lot of people were suggesting that their reported talks with Mercedes were just a smokescreen.

Oh I thought you meant performance wise lol.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Honda's IndyCar program is entirely run and funded by Honda America. Corporate has basically no involvement. So if you were wondering why it's so much less of a shitshow, there's your answer.

In fairness, outside influence and collaboration with less Corporate involvement is the exact same answer needed for the Honda F1 program.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So mclaren needs to badmouth honda for a few weeks, then take over, redesign the engine and name it after a watch brand?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I seriously don't know where this idea that Mclaren can build engines came from. All they did for their road cars was buy the rights to an old racing engine and then turn them over to an engine designer to bring up to modern spec, durability and emissions standards.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wuffles posted:

I giggle like a school girl every time she emasculates some guy in his mid-life crisis sports car. The last time it happened she rolled the window down at the next light and asked him if his car was broken and dude's wife nearly fell out of the car laughing.

Your wife sounds Cool And Good

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I'm so sad I'm working during qualy and the actual race. :negative:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I seriously don't know where this idea that Mclaren can build engines came from. All they did for their road cars was buy the rights to an old racing engine and then turn them over to an engine designer to bring up to modern spec, durability and emissions standards.

The Ricardo based engine architecture is also loving ancient. It was used first in the Nissan R89C.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

Is this just a hobby for Honda?

I'm being serious because their approach is about the same as mine is towards karting where I can't be assed to fix things for months at a time, it really seems like they just like going to races and wrenching on F1 cars so they asked for a budget to do that.

Edit: loving :lol:

Nice Avatar.

Honda seem to be writing off the first half of 2017.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Human Grand Prix posted:

The Ricardo based engine architecture is also loving ancient. It was used first in the Nissan R89C.

That's the coolest aspect about the McLaren road car engines for me, the fact that they started life as a LeMans motor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Ricardo

Ricciardo

I think I've made my point.

• Locked thread