Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Inside Out Mom posted:

Aside from the lore book, whats a good way to get caught up on the backstory of everything thats going on? I've never played a lot of Warhammer but some of the stuff I've read on the wiki sounds pretty neat.

Pretty much hit up the Warhammer Fantasy wiki yeah, to get the actual rundown on Vermintide you'd just need to look up The End Times. There's also a buncha novels of varying quality out there for both Fantasy and 40K.

That too
VVVVVV

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also we're all enormous nerds and will probably answer anything you wanted to know.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Nice. Well for starters whats the Poison Feast all about? And really that whole castle. I haven't done the dlcs in order so I may have missed elements that turn it into a cohesive story. But that castle is so fuckin metal.

Also is I were to get a book, whats the consensus on whats worth while and whats Brian Herbert levels of don't even bother.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I really hope fatshark substantially changes the new contract types based on beta feedback before they release 1.7. Half of them are extremely problematic as laid out by this post.

quote:

Personally, I am very disappointed by "Team Protection Specials", "Damage Avoidance" and especially by "Team Protection: Death", because they promote excessive ragequitting, make the game more negative (players will be blamed for failing the objectives, new players will get kicked more to avoid failing the objective) and make griefing easier (and "just play with friends" isn't a right solution/not applicable to everyone).

Even now it's not uncommon to see host, who's doing 2 grimoire contract, to leave after someone with a grimoire dies (had this happen a few days ago again when we were 1 minute away from finishing the level), because in their mind it's faster to restart the map and do it with 2 grimoires once, than to do 2 (or possibly more) runs with 1 grimoire.

But I fear that with those new types of contracts, there will be an increase in this behaviour.

Team Protection Specials - 0/70% Achieve a higher rating by protecting all heroes from Special Skaven. Rating will update during mission according to current trajectory. One full life pool lost equates to a 70% rating.

Not sure if I understood it correctly, but if it's possible to fail it (i.e. one hero gets killed by assassin = objective failed for the duration of this map), then new/low level players will get kicked even more often, because they tend to receive more damage from all sources, including specials.

Team Protection: Death - 0/4 Progress given if heroes die less than 4 times. Accumulate 4 points.

New/low level players will get kicked even more often, because they tend to die more.

And now it's possible to grief even more - you just join someone, check if they're doing this contract, and jump into the nearest bottomless pit/water.

Damage Avoidance - 0/6 Avoid taking damage from Skaven. Each 100 yds progressed with less than 20% damage taken gives progress.

New/low level players will get kicked even more often, because they tend to receive more damage from all sources, including specials.

And any player can easily be kicked if you say to party "that player took 149 damage during the last 100 yds, so it's because of him we can't complete the contract now".

I really like the new bomb, chest and last stand objectives, but those 3 make me worry, because they do not promote positive gaming environment and can easily be sabotaged.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Inside Out Mom posted:

Nice. Well for starters whats the Poison Feast all about? And really that whole castle. I haven't done the dlcs in order so I may have missed elements that turn it into a cohesive story. But that castle is so fuckin metal.

Also is I were to get a book, whats the consensus on whats worth while and whats Brian Herbert levels of don't even bother.

Drachenfels was a psycho gamer who did necromancy, chaos and vampirism at the same time. The poison feast was him tricking the Empire nobility into thinking he had changed his ways, he invited them to the feast and paralysed them with poisoned wine and let them starve to death with a feast in front of them.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Digirat posted:

I really hope fatshark substantially changes the new contract types based on beta feedback before they release 1.7. Half of them are extremely problematic as laid out by this post.

i can see the point but i rolled my eyes at much of that, regardless

i'm guilty of using dumb game design buzzwords to sound smart but it's endemic on reddit

e: actually they didnt really use any buzzwords im a fuckhead, lol

its more the tone i guess. worst case speculation presented as Definitive Player Psychology or something that will totally, defiantly happen and Ruin This Game Forever. idk it annoys me anyways and i write like that all the time regardless.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 26, 2017

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The idea is that Vermintide is taking place riiiiiight when The End Times (the apocalypse to the Warhammer Fantasy universe) are kicking off, so rats are popping up everywhere. The idea is that you're doing things to support the greater Empire of impending skaven attacks, helping out mages, running supplies for the resistance (that you'll never see) and preventing the Skaven from getting things that are TOO lovely, like vampire artifacts or other Super Cool and Powerful Things.

Honestly, I thought the DLCs would introduce greenskins and undead but whatever.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Enjoy posted:

Drachenfels was a psycho gamer who did necromancy, chaos and vampirism at the same time. The poison feast was him tricking the Empire nobility into thinking he had changed his ways, he invited them to the feast and paralysed them with poisoned wine and let them starve to death with a feast in front of them.

Seriously. That's some hardcore poo poo right there.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Drachenfels sucks

The person, he sucks

But the map is ok

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
specifically, if you'd like to look up more about WHFB, you are best served reading the wiki at the Lexicanum: http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

the Lexicanum has incredibly strict standards on what can be added and maintained on the wiki and it's enforced ruthlessly. you will find basically nothing speculative or false on there. if you would like more detail about something it is also a great way to kick off discussion in this thread. simply link the article and a discussion will pretty naturally arise from there.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Coolguye posted:

specifically, if you'd like to look up more about WHFB, you are best served reading the wiki at the Lexicanum: http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

the Lexicanum has incredibly strict standards on what can be added and maintained on the wiki and it's enforced ruthlessly. you will find basically nothing speculative or false on there. if you would like more detail about something it is also a great way to kick off discussion in this thread. simply link the article and a discussion will pretty naturally arise from there.

This site is pretty great.

One question I had is, is all this on Earth, just set in the future, or a separate planet in the same universe, or a different universe completely? Also is all this stuff the lead up to the 40k type stuff?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Inside Out Mom posted:

One question I had is, is all this on Earth, just set in the future, or a separate planet in the same universe, or a different universe completely? Also is all this stuff the lead up to the 40k type stuff?
Different universe that sometimes has little tie-ins or easter egg references to 40K but isn't really part of their universe. It doesn't become 40k at all, though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Inside Out Mom posted:

the best way to regard it is akin to the final fantasy franchise. trappings, themes, and names will coincide, and there may occasionally be the odd coincidence that is clearly a shout-out, but there are no strong ties between the two.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Ok thanks guys. That makes sense. Though the idea of an empire going from LOTR level type fantasy to Dune level space wars seems cool. I know even less about 40k but that can wait. This currently story universe seems pretty expansive.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I don't know much about Warhammer either, but I did like the detail that apparently Saltzpyre gets repeatedly passed over for promotions because he's considered way too tolerant to be a good Witch Hunter.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Inside Out Mom posted:

Ok thanks guys. That makes sense. Though the idea of an empire going from LOTR level type fantasy to Dune level space wars seems cool. I know even less about 40k but that can wait. This currently story universe seems pretty expansive.

warhammer 40k is at least as broad. probably more so.

Mzbundifund posted:

I don't know much about Warhammer either, but I did like the detail that apparently Saltzpyre gets repeatedly passed over for promotions because he's considered way too tolerant to be a good Witch Hunter.
witch hunters are not normal people. most of them were taken from their families and indoctrinated into the cult of sigmar at birth. their schooling revolves around heresy, magic, chaos, undead, and why all of these things must be completely and utterly eradicated. that saltzpyre came up through all of that and still has the ability to poke fun at himself from time to time is testament to how strange he really is.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also he's even willing to work with a goddamn elf.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Saltzpyre seriously has some of the best lines.

Been reading little tidbits on those wikis and now I just want this last half hour to go by fast so I can get home and slay rats. What a story and all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:witch: It's even worse than I thought. And I know how to paint a dreary picture!

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Also Kruber laughing when Bardin goes down is hilarious.

"Ha Dwarves on 'is arse again!"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Digirat posted:

:witch: It's even worse than I thought. And I know how to paint a dreary picture!

If YOU die, then who will hate me??

like honestly the sheer flash of self-awareness in that line immediately puts victor saltzpyre in a league of his own among other known witch hunters.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Inside Out Mom posted:

I am personally of the adamantine opinion that whfb takes place on a 40k knight world that fell out of the empire during slaneesh's birth and sigmar was one of the two primarchs that We Don't Talk About, Okay?

The elves are just really really fractious exodites, the skaven are chaos tainted ratlings, and the undead are nurgles 40k zombie plague mutated in such a way that tickles his pustulent pickle.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Inside Out Mom posted:

In earlier editions Sigmar was a Primarch and his disappearance was due to being reunited with the Emperor and taking over his Legion. That's no longer the case, the universes are separate with some shared features. Though if it was Vermintide takes place in the middle of the 33rd millennium, although given that Mallus might be trapped in a warpstorm time doesn't mean much.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

I am personally of the adamantine opinion that whfb takes place on a 40k knight world that fell out of the empire during slaneesh's birth and sigmar was one of the two primarchs that We Don't Talk About, Okay?

The elves are just really really fractious exodites, the skaven are chaos tainted ratlings, and the undead are nurgles 40k zombie plague mutated in such a way that tickles his pustulent pickle.

My god what has happened to you

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Such wonderment...

*sprouts a blue aura as torso unfurls into beaked tentacles whom immediately bicker with each over which heresies are canon*

And to think; I hesitated.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The only thing to truly avoid with Warhams Fantasy is that bit after End Times.

Age of Smegmar is crap.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

fortunately, lexicanum makes it pretty simple to tell which is which. the age of sigmar stuff is inherently uninteresting to me because an incontrovertible part of the setting is that each power inhabits an impregnable plane where they hold exclusive sway. all fights occur in small tethers between the realms in a bid to exert some sort of influence on a mortal realm. as such, everything is inherently in stasis and there will never, ever be any stories that truly matter. it has basically generalized chaos's credibility problem over the entire setting.

in WHFB, there are tons of stories about various cities teetering on the brink, only to be pushed over the edge or pulled back from it in various high stakes dealings and action-packed sequences. people who die are dead, and perhaps they don't matter ultimately, but they matter in that moment.

in age of sigmar, any figure who dies can be rematerialized in the plane that most suits their nature. karl franz died in the End Times, but he can exist again in age of sigmar. and he has no compunction to not simply go out and die again, because he has no more empire to really build, no more people to unite, only inconsequential battles to win or lose.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 24, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Adding to that, some of the races/faction were deeply stripped of things that made them who they were or took away any kind of depth or interesting bits to them. Dwarfs, oh excuse me, STEAMHEAD DUARDIN are basically all single-mindedly greedy as hell sorta-slayers now, which on top of making them unlikeable and dumb sounding as a group, only serves to water down and make the slayer aesthetic not that cool anymore because everyone's running around with it now.

I kinda left turned us into "poo poo on AoS" here a little bit but man, can't pass up a chance when it's there. :orks:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Also the Tomb Kings got completely Squated so gently caress THAT.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I got a free copy of Vermintide from the Steam thread and I've been giving it a go. So far I like it! But I suck. There is a lot to it that I just feel kinda lost. Been running though all the missions solo at first to get a feel of it with a different class each time but I always seem to fail when the going gets rough (like when I encounter 8 armored rats or an ambush alongside a rat ogre). Does anyone have good tips on easy to use characters or what sort of weapon skills I should prioritizing?

Eventually when I don't completely suck I'd like to get into MP matches!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

TopHatGenius posted:

I got a free copy of Vermintide from the Steam thread and I've been giving it a go. So far I like it! But I suck. There is a lot to it that I just feel kinda lost. Been running though all the missions solo at first to get a feel of it with a different class each time but I always seem to fail when the going gets rough (like when I encounter 8 armored rats or an ambush alongside a rat ogre). Does anyone have good tips on easy to use characters or what sort of weapon skills I should prioritizing?

Remember to use your consumable items when something interesting like that happens.

Fire bomb = kills hordes of weak chaff
Explosive bomb = kills armoured Stormvermin patrols and heavily damages Ogres
Speed and strength potions = great against all of the above

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Enjoy posted:

Remember to use your consumable items when something interesting like that happens.

Fire bomb = kills hordes of weak chaff
Explosive bomb = kills armoured Stormvermin patrols and heavily damages Ogres
Speed and strength potions = great against all of the above

Yes
Yes (with Strength potion for the patrol)
Speed no, Strength always.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I mean, speed potions aren't BAD, they're just not as good as strength potions. Ideally you've got both on people with potion share and you can kill the ogre in about 3 seconds.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TopHatGenius posted:

bardin (the dwarf) and victor (the witch hunter) are probably the easiest to pick up. in terms of more tips, lunethex and i made a youtube playlist that covers everything you could possibly want to know in terms of game ins and outs.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Speed potions are fine.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

TopHatGenius posted:

Still play with people anyway. Playing solo can be a lot rougher and the AI doesn't really practice good teamwork strategies that prevent you from getting into lovely situations. People do. Plus, playing solo gives you zero death insurance, as the level ends when you die. The AI can be pretty terrible at picking you up when you go down.

Plus, normal really isn't a bad difficulty to learn the game on. Gear counts for a lot in this game though, so don't feel afraid to tag along with some goons if you want to grind out decent gear!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
1. Speed potions are awesome because they make slow weapons hilarious, the brace of pistols into a light machine gun, and there is no such thing as wasting a speed potion. Use em or lose em, you don't get bonus points at the end for holding on to the poo poo. They don't let you dunk on patrols and ogres like strength potions but they're a nice power spike.

2. Playing on difficulties below hard just stretches out the process of being bad and having bad loot. Play hard till you get blues, then play NM, and enjoy having more oranges then you know what to do with. If you're worried about being dead weight just play a character with a shield. If all you do is knock rats around with shoves and charged attacks you're pulling your weight by default, and nothing will teach you the finer points of rat management faster than being the Rat Smacker In Chief

E; and only gently caress with bots when you're bored of waiting for the lobby to fill up, people in this community are bonkers nice and we'll mannered, generally speaking, and engaging with them is cool and good.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 25, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

after all of my time playing i can definitely say that the giant rear end in a top hat players are few and far between. i definitely recommend playing with real people when you can

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I'm still not great, but playing with other people allows you to see (hopefully) the best strategies for different missions and situations, as well as item locations you might not otherwise notice.

Also, why does no one use the cellar anymore at the end of Engines of War? Everyone I've played with this week just wants to do it on the docks, even the high level players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Cellar is a really bad place to defend. The cellar doors don't work at all, and a single gasrat can gently caress up everyone's day without even putting himself at risk.

If you want an easily defendable position, just backtrack to the town bridge and plant yourselves halfway across. There's a gigantic chokepoint for the standard rats that grudge rakers and conflagrators can take advantage of, and the specials spawn in a giant open area that leaves them quite vulnerable to your snipers. It is by a wide margin the easiest place to defend.

That said, sometimes you just want to run around on the docks and be an idiot. It's more fun that way.

• Locked thread