Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
You can get a version (not sure which) with Oryx tiles here
http://oryxdesignlab.com/games/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

someone awful. posted:

Brogue is ASCII but it's the most readable ASCII you'll ever encounter. It's a gorgeous game imo

It really is. The neatest thing to me is how the water looks shimmery and there's an ebb to it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't really want my roguelikes to shimmer or dynamically light environments or color absolutely everything in pastels

the most readable ASCII in roguelikes is DoomRL

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Eela6 posted:

I haven't played Brogue in years, but I found it relatively accessible. It's difficult to ascend (I never have), but it's not too hard to make some headway.

Brogue is text graphics, though. I don't know of a tiles version. DCSS has become more approachable lately, especially the tiles version. When did you last play it?

A couple of years ago, cleared some branches but died too often on the shoals and stopped.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't really want my roguelikes to shimmer or dynamically light environments or color absolutely everything in pastels

the most readable ASCII in roguelikes is DoomRL

Yeah I don't find brogue very readable. It just comes of across as garish to me with too much going on.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's an option to turn that off. As in, it's probably a hotkey.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
So for the first time in a while, I managed to ascend in Powder. For this time around i kept restarting til i got a divination book as part of my 3 starting inventory items (neccesary for my strategy to try as many not cursed items to wear as possible in search of defenses) and towards the middle of the game after dodging cockatrice hardening i found an artifact that granted stoning resistance and immediately equipped it. Then it was a simple matter of cleverly using spells and reflective.

Here's the screenshots

And here's the final character text file as a pastebin link:

http://pastebin.com/tCxkh10S

Some of the deaths/wins with weird numbers on the high score list were done with the special donation-only things were you can basically play in debug mode and don't count, so this run is actually first best instead of second best on this machine.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Wow, congrats. POWDER was always more of a brilliant little curiosity to me (designed as it was for the Game Boy Advance) and way too hard and complex to seriously dedicate time to.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

You got my pledge, Tangledeep goon. Haven't tested out the development version, but the good experiences here and how charming the game just looks were enough.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Wow, congrats. POWDER was always more of a brilliant little curiosity to me (designed as it was for the Game Boy Advance) and way too hard and complex to seriously dedicate time to.

I played it on the PSP a bunch and don't think I ever made it past the second floor.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

Unimpressed posted:

Any opinions on Monster Slayers? Looks like Dream Quest with a nicer UI, at least it professes to be that.
I'm quite enjoying it. It's definitely very Dream Quest-esque, with some nicer production values and the same feeling of "this is impossible, oh wait, no it isn't". I can't quite put my finger on it, but I get the sense it isn't quite as finely tuned mechanically as Dream Quest is. Still, there have been a few patches already so the developers are still tweaking things. Definitely worth £4 or the equivalent in your currency of choice.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Pledged on Tangledeep, looks amazing!

Also playing through the new update of dungeonmans. I always seem to forget how much I love dungeonmans until I play a little to check out the update and it's suddenly hours later.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Anyone played this?

Calling something nuclear throne mixed with deus ex gets my interest.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/512900/

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ToxicFrog posted:

I played it on the PSP a bunch and don't think I ever made it past the second floor.

Yea, initial impressions from being a free GBA product, to it's look give the very wrong impression that it's easy. The game will murder you dead a hundred ways, most of them being ^&*(# cockatrices. Is there any real reliable counter to it, other than learning the acid spell?

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Anyone played this?

It's fun, but the usual early access caveats apply: only the first two zones (six stages) exist so far and your character spontaneously explodes after that. There are a lot of options for addressing missions and the classes all have pretty interesting changes to how you approach things - I think there were only one or two classes I didn't enjoy during the free alpha and not much about the core gameplay has changed since then.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Serephina posted:

Yea, initial impressions from being a free GBA product, to it's look give the very wrong impression that it's easy. The game will murder you dead a hundred ways, most of them being ^&*(# cockatrices. Is there any real reliable counter to it, other than learning the acid spell?

The best thing is to have an amulet of unchanging, or to have been lucky enough to find an artifact item that grants Unchanging intrinsic when wielded - on the turn you would have turned to stone you revert to normal. Also, an artifact that specifically has Stone Resistance will prevent it entirely, but no standard item has that.

Second best is to have the Preserve or Stone To Flesh spells. Stone to Flesh stops turning to stone instantly and grants resistance for a few turns. Preserve will prevent you from turning to stone for 5 turns or so, but you'll probably want to cast it every few turns to make sure it's in effect at the right time - namely it needs to be in effect at the turn you would have become stone.

If you have the ability to cast Polymorph, then simply change the cockatrice into something else and run away from it, or if you also have a ring or artifact granting Polymorph Control, change yourself into a monster that can't be turned to stone - like the cockatrice itself or any creature whose corpse you can't eat (because their corpses aren't flesh or don't exist). So like, cave trolls, elementals, ghosts, and on top of that many creatures with acid attacks can't be turned into stone. If you got surpised with the stoning attribute and don't have polymorph control, might as well try to polymorph yourself anyway in hopes of getting a creature that will survive.

After this, there's acid. Throwing an acid potion at the ceiling will splash you and the cockatrice, damaging it as well as you (if you don't have acid resistance) and canceling the stone effect. However it grants no protection, the cockatrice can start turning you to stone the very next turn. But that's why you throw the acid potion, it guarantees that your term will do some damage to the cockatrice instead of just temporarily healing you. You can also use an acid spell on yourself for the same effect, ideally you use the area of effect one because again then you can chip away cockatrice help.

Then there's just trying to ensure your piety with a god is high enough that they'll magically save you. Best not to rely on this.

After this there's always just running away. If you don't have a protective item or a lot of acid potions/the acid attacks by the time cockatrices show up, make sure to have jump boots or other things like that that let you run away real good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Anyone played this?

The writing in it is incredibly bad and unfunny to me, so if that matters to you, be warned.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Streets of Rogue is a cool bundle of interactions but when I played it in beta it was the kind of game that leans really hard on its core action/twitch gameplay being good, because it's kind of empty otherwise -- and that core gameplay was just not good enough.

It was worth wasting a few hours on when it was free but I would not spend money on it.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

The writing in it is incredibly bad and unfunny to me, so if that matters to you, be warned.

Yeah, I was excited to try it and the writing is just a major turnoff. Tired memes and monkeycheese everywhere.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The still fairly early core getting fleshed out should* be lined up pretty well for Streets of Rogue going forward----for the last several months, the dev was adrift in a now largely surmounted hell of multiplayer and multilingual support to get it out of the way early for Steam that had pretty much everything else on hold.

Hell, a few more layers of good twists and it could essentially be a near neighbor to an homage engine/framework for Genesis Shadowrun shenanigans in a good sense---way more potential on that end seemingly than anything too heavily wed to Nuclear Throne sensibilities where everything just distills into foregone conclusions sooner than later.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Ohhhh. You're right it does have similarities to Genesis Shadowrun. One of my all time favorites no less. Here's to hoping the dev continues down a good path.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Tangledeep's within $1k of funding! Y'all've already backed it, right? :colbert:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

That's less than $1k until the Seeds of Tangled Dreams in Dungeonmans can be cashed in for loots!

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

yaaay made it!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Before April! Excellent news!

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda
Wowowow. Thank you so much for the support guys, from the beginning. Whether you've been playing the game and giving feedback, backing the project or just saying "this looks cool" it's been a huge motivator! I'm working hard AF every day to make a Good Game.

Since a bunch of people asked I put up some stretch goals for art, audio and writing things that won't feature creep the game to death, such as character portraits:

And also Grant Kirkhope is on board for a stretch goal too. Yeah.

Next build will significantly expand the size of the dungeon, add new monsters and generally rebalance things since I want to extend the experience, add more monsters in between, and smooth out the difficulty curve more. Plus this lets me put in more bosses and side areas. Fun fun fun fun

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Stretch goals like character portraits or more music are good ones, since they're less likely to spiral out of control or take way, way longer to make than you thought.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The idea of adding extensive, complex systems as an optional component is a bad one to begin with.

Either the game needs them and leaving them out will cripple it and they shouldn't be a stretch goal, or the game doesn't need them and they're just clutter and shouldn't be in either way.

"More content" is a lot safer, and if you're adding more character classes or art when you've already done a bunch you probably have a much better idea of the time and resources it will take, too.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 28, 2017

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda
Yes my thoughts exactly. This might be my first game but I've been involved on enough projects to know what can be done in parallel and what has the potential of bottlenecking. Ideally I'll keep working on the game well-after release of course and add lots more features then.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The idea of adding extensive, complex systems as an optional component is a bad one to begin with.

Either the game needs them and leaving them out will cripple it and they shouldn't be a stretch goal, or the game doesn't need them and they're just clutter and shouldn't be in either way.
Early enough in development systems are as come-and-go as content. There's an amorphous early state where you're not entirely sure what sub systems fit the game or not, but you have educated guesses and you build in that direction. Which means stuff like "Crafting as a stretch goal!" isn't the worst thing to read in a game with a two year future dev schedule.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

madjackmcmad posted:

Early enough in development systems are as come-and-go as content. There's an amorphous early state where you're not entirely sure what sub systems fit the game or not, but you have educated guesses and you build in that direction. Which means stuff like "Crafting as a stretch goal!" isn't the worst thing to read in a game with a two year future dev schedule.
Personally, I'd feel like that's a recipe to have to shoehorn in something that doesn't fit the direction the game evolved into, because you gave yourself an actual contractual obligation to include it. And the only way to avoid that is to design around it from the beginning. Which brings it right back to 'either it's superfluous or it shouldn't be a stretch goal'.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

Would you really want to promise any of them to someone for money in that situation?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I'm sure crafting might not be bad, but the first two things that come to mind are Dungeons of Dredmor and Sword of the Stars: The Pit. God no. Truly random item destruction and unlockable recipes are also a demerit (though there are degrees of that - for instance, I ended up forgiving DoomRL for its assemblies and eventually came to cherish them).

On the other hand, after deliberating a little, I can come up with at least one decent crafting system: Unexplored. The alchemy table is a miss, but the anvil makes good by restricting you to sigils, meaning I don't need to carry around various bug anuses in the hope of making a divine sandwich.

I'm sure broader players can come up with plenty of good crafting examples, but the main point is, "Please, for the love of god, don't make me carry around 30-50+ random useless items in a limited inventory space, paired with a slapped on crafting GUI."

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Are there any Roguelikes other than DoomRL than focus heavily on crowd combat and slaughtering hordes of enemies? I need something to listen to crappy power metal with.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Amuys posted:

Are there any Roguelikes other than DoomRL than focus heavily on crowd combat and slaughtering hordes of enemies? I need something to listen to crappy power metal with.

DoomRL isn't even really one of the more crowd-focused roguelikes. You're gonna enjoy ToME, and especially as a Corruptor or Doombringer.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

LordSloth posted:

I'm sure crafting might not be bad, but the first two things that come to mind are Dungeons of Dredmor and Sword of the Stars: The Pit. God no. Truly random item destruction and unlockable recipes are also a demerit (though there are degrees of that - for instance, I ended up forgiving DoomRL for its assemblies and eventually came to cherish them).

On the other hand, after deliberating a little, I can come up with at least one decent crafting system: Unexplored. The alchemy table is a miss, but the anvil makes good by restricting you to sigils, meaning I don't need to carry around various bug anuses in the hope of making a divine sandwich.

I'm sure broader players can come up with plenty of good crafting examples, but the main point is, "Please, for the love of god, don't make me carry around 30-50+ random useless items in a limited inventory space, paired with a slapped on crafting GUI."

I think assemblies can get a pass because the weapon mods they're made from are going to be useful even if you don't get everything you need for a full assembly, unlike the piles of crafting ingredients that tend to clutter up your inventory in a lot of games with crafting.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

DoomRL isn't even really one of the more crowd-focused roguelikes. You're gonna enjoy ToME, and especially as a Corruptor or Doombringer.

Thanks! IA and Sil have been crushing me recently so I just wanna carve through hordes of goblins while laughing maniacally.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Doombringer's core mechanic is that when you kill something and then hit something else in the next few turns it makes a giant explosion of fire, and then later you get the ability to leech health from everything near you that's on fire, the ability to turn "how on fire are all these guys" into a personal damage shield, the ability to instantly return yourself to full health in exchange for the difference coming back as fire damage shared between you and everything close to you, and the ability to teleport a moderate distance and appear in a giant explosion of a different kind of fire which would normally hurt you, too, but doesn't because you turned yourself into a demon and demons are healed by special-fire.

Doombringer isn't just the class you play while listening to metal, it's literally playing a metal album cover.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i really want to like tome but at the end of the day it's got the million fodder monsters and one death-machine disguised amongst them problem. it's a shame because its mechanics are otherwise really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Tollymain posted:

i really want to like tome but at the end of the day it's got the million fodder monsters and one death-machine disguised amongst them problem. it's a shame because its mechanics are otherwise really cool

I want to solve this problem while still keeping the idea of a hero vs groups of monsters. It isn't quite as bad in Dungeonmans but it can still happen depending on a number of factors.