Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wrong about what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

Wrong about what

Just wrong, like a dog in raybans

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Mass Effect Andromeda is the first ME related thing I've played since 2 came out and starting it on Hardcore difficulty was probably a pretty terrible idea. I'm 3 hours in and enemies are gigantic bullet sponges with pinpoint accuracy that kill you in 2 seconds from off-screen. Welp.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I think Max Payne 3 is one of the best games of all time, but it's also the worst game in the series.

I think it would have been much better received if it was the first entry into a new franchise, but then the story wouldn't work as well because you need the tired protagonist that you already recognize.

Maybe they could have taken the money they spent on the Max Payne license and instead spend it on the Man on Fire license

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

People who like max Payne 3 are wrong

What if I like video games though?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Max Payne 3 has its flaws but I really like it because it has an unintentionally emotionally powerful ending and is the perfect end point for the franchise (more so than 2) unless they reboot it. Any other studio would've went with something artsy and laughably dramatic like the main character killing himself or having a heroic last stand but Rockstar didn't.

Blotto_Otter posted:

I do know MP3 has its fans, though. I wonder how many MP3 fans played that as their first Max Payne game, versus people like me who had their expectations set with 1 and 2

fwiw I played the first and second a ton during their respective releases and even posted in the 3DRealms MP boards back in the day. Even used MaxED to make a bunch of lovely custom levels for 1 and 2 that I never released.

GUI fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 25, 2017

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The worst thing about MP3 is it makes GTAV feel like garbage in comparison

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

tap my mountain posted:

I think Max Payne 3 is one of the best games of all time, but it's also the worst game in the series.

As someone who adores Max Payne 3, this is a very strange and completely accurate take on it. MP3 is tonally way different from the first two, it's more of its own depressing vaguely realistic beast than the comic book noir style of the originals. There's nothing even close to the whole Valkyr conspiracy in MP3, it's all just mundane people being terrible over politics.

The gunplay's also WAY different, with MP1 and MP2 feeling like third person FPSes and MP3 being a really well polished version of GTA4/RDR.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just discovered that Trevor Belmont's name is Ralph in Japan and I don't know how to feel about that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

*looking at Max Payne 1 and 2 and thinking really really hard about how to best utilize the strengths of the original games and produce an awesome next gen version of Max Payne* What if we made the plot suddenly insanely self serious for no reason and also made it a cover shooter?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

GUI posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda is the first ME related thing I've played since 2 came out and starting it on Hardcore difficulty was probably a pretty terrible idea. I'm 3 hours in and enemies are gigantic bullet sponges with pinpoint accuracy that kill you in 2 seconds from off-screen. Welp.

The game has the old problem of normal being too easy and hard being too frustrating.

Someone asked earlier if you eventually get more on how Cora felt about being passed up on being Pathfinder. It takes until after the first major story beat and you talk to her privately but yes. Internally she is seething about it, but because of loyalty to daddy Ryder (who chooses the PC) and her military and biotic training, she is able to keep her feelings in check. She also has no real desire to unseat you and is coming to terms with it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

In Training posted:

*looking at Max Payne 1 and 2 and thinking really really hard about how to best utilize the strengths of the original games and produce an awesome next gen version of Max Payne* What if we made the plot suddenly insanely self serious for no reason and also made it a cover shooter?

If you play MP3 like a cover shooter you're just asking to be bored and get your rear end killed. :colbert:

All dodging, all the time baby.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wish I could find a gif because idk how to describe it but I like the thing in Max Payne 3 where when he's prone on the ground he has very smooth animations for turning around to aim in all directions

the animations in that game were just really cool, it made the shooting feel super satisfying

I wish I had gotten the platinum trophy but I didn't want to play the multiplayer

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Also I'm reversing my position on Liam after playing the game a fair bit. He's not an exotic character but he's well written and voice acted so it makes him pretty endearing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked that in MGSV too

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

All Max Payne games are cover shooters during your first playthrough, all the crazy stunts come during replays when you've learned enemy locations. 1 is easily the hardest of the trilogy and you'll spend plenty of time exploiting the camera to peek around corners, especially since the dynamic difficulty is broken and was never fixed, so near the end of the game you'll spend most of your time being one-shotted unless you've memorized where everyone is.

Edit: I forgot rolling sideways in Max Payne 1 completely breaks the enemy AI, so you can exploit that if you want.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Another dumb Mario RPG question: Mario Peach & Bowser is the best endgame party right?

I think Mallow and his magic is supposed to be better than Bowser, who's damage output caps out pretty early. But really, the game's easy enough, go with whoever you think is coolest.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nier Automata good, bad? Worth getting? I really need my Nier fix.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pulled off a Silent Assassin, Suit Only in Paris! :woop:

I hate, hate hate hate Viktor Novikov. Finding a way to kill him and his guard was a paaaaaaaaain.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lurdiak posted:

I think Mallow and his magic is supposed to be better than Bowser, who's damage output caps out pretty early. But really, the game's easy enough, go with whoever you think is coolest.

Bowser's physical attack strength is pretty good and he makes a good tank if you don't have the Lazy Shell (which makes anyone into a tank). Terrorize is also a pro move.

Mallow is really squishy imo and makes the end game harder than it needs to be, but for a game as easy as SMRPG it doesn't really matter that much. Considering it's so easy you don't need two healers and it's probably best to just make a party that can dish as much damage as possible so yeah Peach (with the Frying Pan) and Geno or Bowser. Geno's stat-up moves are broken as poo poo if you get the timing down.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

good

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yay, downloading

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

bloodychill posted:

The game has the old problem of normal being too easy and hard being too frustrating.

Someone asked earlier if you eventually get more on how Cora felt about being passed up on being Pathfinder. It takes until after the first major story beat and you talk to her privately but yes. Internally she is seething about it, but because of loyalty to daddy Ryder (who chooses the PC) and her military and biotic training, she is able to keep her feelings in check. She also has no real desire to unseat you and is coming to terms with it.

Her loyalty mission is all about how she'd actually make a terrible leader because she never does stuff for herself. It actually seemed like a logical realization for her, even if it was pretty heavily foreshadowed. Andromeda is, while still not great or amazing, actually pretty good. The plot got interesting for me once I got introduced to the Angara who are Andromeda natives, which was about 15-20 hours in after puttering around the first planet for a while. It's nowhere near DA:I hinterlands status, but there's a good amount of stuff to do on Eos. And a lot of the dialogue can be sort of whedon-esque, in that it can get kinda quippy, while some of the random dialogue can feel kinda cutesy and not really how you'd expect people who work very closely together would talk. That said, some of the character beats are interesting. Liam is actually kind of interesting in that he admits he had a great life in the milky way and decided to come to Andromeda cause it sounded cool, or how his family got a shuttle and loaded a classic (20th century) British car onto it, pointed it at Andromeda, and launched it. So now he takes comfort in the idea that there's a small part of home slow boating its way to him, even if there's no actual chance of him ever seeing the car again.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Pollyanna posted:

Apparently extremely good but more Nier than Platinum--that may be a good thing for you but I expected more Platinum than Nier from the demo, and was disappointed to hear that it wasn't very representative

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I hope the success of Automata encourages Square enix to go to platinum for their RPG combat needs in the future, instead of some half baked in-house job, but I'm not holding my breath.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

tap my mountain posted:

I hope the success of Automata encourages Square enix to go to platinum for their RPG combat needs in the future, instead of some half baked in-house job, but I'm not holding my breath.

Platinum presents kingdom hearts: 63 1/3 waking dream unlimited

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Hire me Disney or square-enix, I can name your games

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Square-Enix/Platinum Presents:

The Bouncer 2

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i now own a ps4 and styx 2

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

GUI posted:

All Max Payne games are cover shooters during your first playthrough, all the crazy stunts come during replays when you've learned enemy locations. 1 is easily the hardest of the trilogy and you'll spend plenty of time exploiting the camera to peek around corners, especially since the dynamic difficulty is broken and was never fixed, so near the end of the game you'll spend most of your time being one-shotted unless you've memorized where everyone is.

Edit: I forgot rolling sideways in Max Payne 1 completely breaks the enemy AI, so you can exploit that if you want.

For me the first playthrough wasn't a cover shooter (plus didn't know of that term yet in 2001), it was a I'm quick-loading a lot because I'm jumping into bullets shooter. Was fun playing those encounters several times getting a feel for dodging the bullets. But like how the conversation started, I say we just get Sam Lake to write more games. I'll bet he could write more games than Remedy could make, everybody should hire him.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Good luck, I'm pretty sure Nomura stays on with SE just so he can name Kingdom Hearts games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh, speaking of Kingdom Hearts, there was a great conversation in my local Gamestop the other day. Some guy was asking about Kingdom Hearts Collection or whatever it's called.

Guy: So it collects 1 to 3?
Clerk: No, 3 isn't out yet, it collects 1 to 2.
Guy: So it's 2 games?
Clerk: No it's 6
Guy: :confused:
Clerk: *deep sigh* Well,

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Joe Gillian posted:

Square-Enix/Platinum Presents:

The Bouncer 2

Just call it B2, like T2 or D2: The Mighty Ducks, it'll be a hit! Everybody will be buzzing about B2.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

:shepface:

E:

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 25, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Much of that was chilling minimized on the taskbar while the player marathoned Beverly Hills 90210 seasons 1 through 6 on hulu I wager. (the good seasons)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

Much of that was chilling minimized on the taskbar while the player marathoned Beverly Hills 90210 seasons 1 through 6 on hulu I wager. (the good seasons)

Nah man, that's pretty much how much of that game I've played.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Oh, speaking of Kingdom Hearts, there was a great conversation in my local Gamestop the other day. Some guy was asking about Kingdom Hearts Collection or whatever it's called.

Guy: So it collects 1 to 3?
Clerk: No, 3 isn't out yet, it collects 1 to 2.
Guy: So it's 2 games?
Clerk: No it's 6
Guy: :confused:
Clerk: *deep sigh* Well,

Lol that poor bastard

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lurdiak posted:

Nah man, that's pretty much how much of that game I've played.

Righteous! My bro tells me the milk quest was annoying but loves it. I've only played a bit, gotta beat Zelda still, also Yakuza 0, so many games lately ohmy

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I have almost 300 hours in Overwatch and most of that is quickplay and most of that is Junkrat. It's the most time I've put into a single game in a long time, with the exception of WoW which is an ongoing thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

Righteous! My bro tells me the milk quest was annoying but loves it. I've only played a bit, gotta beat Zelder still, also Yakuza 0, so many games lately ohmy

The game has gotten a lot better since launch, they've gotten rid of so many bugs, made the AI less annoying and have improved the balance a ton. Even the stupid milk quest is way better now.

• Locked thread