Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

So, I really loving loved games like Myst 1-4 and the Journeyman Project series; I know there were a jillion clones churned out in the early-mid 90s, but were any of them particularly great?

Doesn't answer the question, but on the off chance you're not aware, Cyan recently released a game called Obduction which is pretty much another Myst game in all but name (right down to Robyn Miller doing FMV).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

iSurrender posted:

I know this thread usually has a Q&A format but I'd just like to take a moment to recommend Thea: The Awakening to anyone and everyone.

In my mind It's basically the spiritual successor of King of Dragon Pass, loads of great events but now with some semblance of balance instead of hilarious RNG. Also loads of crafting.
I havent enjoyed a game this much since SMAC and Arcanum.

Seconding this.

Additionally, it's set in world of Slavic mythology, which is a nice break from the standard fantasy themes.
Also, it's made by a small independent company, so they could use your monies, while they are currently working on Thea 2.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Gravy Jones posted:

Doesn't answer the question, but on the off chance you're not aware, Cyan recently released a game called Obduction which is pretty much another Myst game in all but name (right down to Robyn Miller doing FMV).

Yeah, I burned through it right after it came out, fantastic game.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I'm looking for a game to play through with a friend. It needs to be available on a Mac or PS4, and it needs to be slightly mindless. He'll only play games when he's using a treadmill, which is cool but necessitates simpler games.

We've already played Diablo III, which was great for mindlessly killing things while hanging out and listening to music.
We also just completed Secret of Mana, which was awesome but probably mostly for nostalgia. The combat and magic is simple, and my buddy remembered where to go from playing it as a kid so the game was a breeze. .

No borderlands
No shooters
No MMOs
I showed him a trailer Torchlight 2 but he wasn't too impressed, saying it looked old.

I realize that's pretty vague, hopefully you guys can think of something? Thank You!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Unbelievably White posted:

Is there anything that plays like Darkest Dungeon (combat heavily focused on positioning, dungeon exploration isn't a goddamn maze) that doesn't have the roguelike pressure? I hated how you could do everything right and the game would still poo poo all over you, because lovecraftian atmosphere.

The Banner Saga 1 and 2 are good options. The tactival combat is excellent, and while things can and will go terribly wrong, the plot just changes direction, so there's no real fail state.

For what it's worth, Darkest Dungeon was recently updated with a "radiant mode" that speeds up progression. It's supposed to take about 40 hours to beat, as opposed to 80+ in the normal version. The game will still gently caress you over, but it doesn't take as long to recover. It sort of depends on what you like. Personally I feel there just isn't enough variation in levelling new mooks for it to be worth the time investment, but the core gameplay is solid.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Olaf The Stout posted:

I showed him a trailer Torchlight 2 but he wasn't too impressed, saying it looked old.

Plays Secret of Mana, says Torchlight 2 looks old.

Anyway, Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Brainamp posted:

Plays Secret of Mana, says Torchlight 2 looks old.

Anyway, Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising.

Nostalgia blind spot, as mentioned. And thank you I'll check those out.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

double nine posted:

Preferably spy-related, main character definitively a high-functioning smartass jerkface. Must be funny.

NOLF 1+2? Uncharted, maybe?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm looking for a game where it's an RTS / Basebuilder, preferably set around the Roman Empire period. The biggest selling point I'm looking for is a logistics system, whereby I need to actually supply men with food or else they starve / die. So sending out a legion to attack an enemy position would include lugging along food-laden donkeys that would be easy for the enemy to raid or cut off, to starve out my own men.

Is there a game like this? Or a game that allows me to set up temporary camps on the map for a defensive bonus.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Closest thing is the Hegemony series, though you'd probably also enjoy the old Caesar series (Impressions city builder) and maybe Alea Jacta Est (Warning: AGEOD grog game). Maybe The Settlers games for logistics chains?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Closest thing is the Hegemony series, though you'd probably also enjoy the old Caesar series (Impressions city builder) and maybe Alea Jacta Est (Warning: AGEOD grog game). Maybe The Settlers games for logistics chains?

I've played Hegemony, it was alright but I found it very lacking. Though the food logistics were fun, though I played it so long ago I can't remember if you had to send food carts out with your armies to keep them fed. As for Caesar, as awful as it sounds, I don't think I'd enjoy it based off of the fact they're far too archaic. I checked out Alea Jacta Est, it seems alrightish, I don't know what a grog game is though. I'll probably give it a go. The Settlers is fantastic and I love it, but I'm not so much looking for logistic chains. I'm mainly just looking for a combat system that has large maps and requires me to worry about keeping my soldiers fed out in the battlefield.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

You wanted supply lines, you got supply lines! https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/24/wot-i-think-afghanistan-11/

I haven't tried it, so no promises that it's any good.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Hey guys, I'm looking for a game to play. It has to be for the PC and I'm looking for something based around collecting resources and upgrading. I already have Terraria and Starbound, so something else would be good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Factorio.

E: the name of the thread should just be "We Recommend Factorio".

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Factorio.

E: the name of the thread should just be "We Recommend Factorio".

No, that doesn't look fun. Nothing involving autism levels of optimizing layouts looks fun.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a game to play. It has to be for the PC and I'm looking for something based around collecting resources and upgrading. I already have Terraria and Starbound, so something else would be good.

MInecraft? Or is that too autistic for you as well?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Lorini posted:

MInecraft? Or is that too autistic for you as well?

I wan't really into minecraft. I don't know why. Right now I'm enjoying Subnautica.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mycroft Holmes posted:

No, that doesn't look fun. Nothing involving autism levels of optimizing layouts looks fun.

I agree that it doesn't look like much but it is drat good and you should try the demo at least.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is there any games like Disgaea, Fire Emblem or Xcom on pc? Turnbased tactical combat where you have a bunch of units. Disgaea is more about grinding and min-maxing but xcom is more about strategy/tactics and fire emblem kinda is a mix of both. I have also played the first banner saga on the hardest difficulty and it was retardly hard is the 2nd one any good?

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Ulio posted:

Is there any games like Disgaea, Fire Emblem or Xcom on pc? Turnbased tactical combat where you have a bunch of units. Disgaea is more about grinding and min-maxing but xcom is more about strategy/tactics and fire emblem kinda is a mix of both. I have also played the first banner saga on the hardest difficulty and it was retardly hard is the 2nd one any good?

Invisible, inc is stealth instead of straight combat, but the challenges are similar, with calculating optimal moves and avoiding enemy overwatch and such.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ulio posted:

It's a bit older, but Battle for Wesnoth is free and pretty good. Got a neat fire emblem meets advance wars vibe, with loads of mods and stuff.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Ulio posted:

Maybe check out the Shadowrun games and Shadowtactics: Blades of the Shogun. And possibly Valkyria Chronicles?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Maybe check out the Shadowrun games and Shadowtactics: Blades of the Shogun. And possibly Valkyria Chronicles?

I loved the idea and gameplay of Valkyria, but it was just so annoyingly anime I had to stop. Shame.

Seconding Shadowrun. I'd say skip the first one and dive right into Dragonfall. It's one of the better tactical rpgs I've ever played.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Millennial Sexlord posted:

It's a bit older, but Battle for Wesnoth is free and pretty good. Got a neat fire emblem meets advance wars vibe, with loads of mods and stuff.

I played this for a little while and it was fun, but I haven't checked on it in a few years.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Ulio posted:

Play Battle Brothers and Banner Saga 2, maybe go back to the original X-Com via OpenXCOM or Xenonauts.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Unbelievably White posted:

Invisible, inc is stealth instead of straight combat, but the challenges are similar, with calculating optimal moves and avoiding enemy overwatch and such.

It looks interesting, I always wanted to check it out, I'll wait for a sale because its kinda expensive for an older game.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Interesting, I'll check out Valkyria since I like the anime style actually and Shadowrun/Shadow tactics looks cool as hell I always thought for some reason those were crpgs like old fallout.

Play Battle Brothers and Banner Saga 2, maybe go back to the original X-Com via OpenXCOM or Xenonauts.

Battle brothers looks pretty unique I heard its a mix of games like Fire emblem/Mount n blade which sounds really interesting because I love both those games. I think it just got released I'll put it on my wishlist.

I actually played this a long time ago and liked it. IT definitely has the closest art style to Fire Emblem on PC. It actually was greenlit for Steam last year. I think this game is really good but I wonder if it will stay free in steam. This game deserves to be more well known because its really well made and free. I think if it gets on steam maybe it will become more popular.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ulio posted:

Interesting, I'll check out Valkyria since I like the anime style actually and Shadowrun/Shadow tactics looks cool as hell I always thought for some reason those were crpgs like old fallout.

Make no mistake, Shadowrun absolutely is a crpg, with a whole boat load of story and dialogue. It's all pretty drat well written though, with a decent story and a fantastic soundtrack. The combat is turn based tactical, with a bunch of options for gearing and character specs. I really cannot recommend them enough.

Like I said though, skip the first one.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Like I said though, skip the first one.

Or don't, it's not as good as Dragonfall and Hong Kong but it's totally playable. Can always skip to the next one if you're not into it.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Shadow Tactics is very good and tactical, but more of a fringe recommendation since it's not actually turn based. It's a modern-day Commandos style of game. And I can't speak for it really, but I also just remembered Skulls of the Shogun.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kanfy posted:

Or don't, it's not as good as Dragonfall and Hong Kong but it's totally playable. Can always skip to the next one if you're not into it.

It's playable yeah, but it is very lackluster and doesn't do the series justice. I am lucky I decided to give Dragonfall a try, because Dead Man's Switch nearly made me write the series off as "eh".

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

It's playable yeah, but it is very lackluster and doesn't do the series justice. I am lucky I decided to give Dragonfall a try, because Dead Man's Switch nearly made me write the series off as "eh".

Sure, like I said it can be safely skipped if you don't like it but it's not a downright bad game (barring the downright bad final boss battle) and it'll be hard to come back to after Dragonfall and Hong Kong. As long as you're equipped with the knowledge that the follow-ups are universally considered better, I think it's worth giving a shot at the very least to see what you think.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ulio posted:

I actually played this a long time ago and liked it. IT definitely has the closest art style to Fire Emblem on PC. It actually was greenlit for Steam last year. I think this game is really good but I wonder if it will stay free in steam. This game deserves to be more well known because its really well made and free. I think if it gets on steam maybe it will become more popular.

I didn't know it was greenlit for Steam, but I visited its developer page thanks to this post and it's still free and being worked on.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kanfy posted:

Sure, like I said it can be safely skipped if you don't like it but it's not a downright bad game (barring the downright bad final boss battle) and it'll be hard to come back to after Dragonfall and Hong Kong. As long as you're equipped with the knowledge that the follow-ups are universally considered better, I think it's worth giving a shot at the very least to see what you think.

You can plsy it through the Dragonfall client if you own that too, and it improves the game with all the advances in UI and mechanics that Dragonfall brought to the board. That's what I would do.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Invisible Inc really is astonishingly good.

A classic tactics game is Jagged Alliance 2, I think there's still a thread for it. The game still holds up.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011

Ulio posted:

I'd suggest Steamworld Heist: It's a 2d turnbased tactics game that's part XCOM part Worms. You get the tactical two-step movement and skills of XCOM, but you're working in 2D with free-aim and you ricochet shots around like Worms

(There's nothing quite like attempting a trick shot with a grenade launcher only to be ever so slightly off and watching the grenade ricochet off three walls sailing past every possible obstacle in the way until it nails your own guy in the face)

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Valkyria Chronicles is amazing

Go play it right now

My only gripe with that game is that it's too short

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

VC1 is a really fun anime-ww2 game with a good pc port. VC2 is bad and requires emulation. VC3 is good again but requires emulation and a translation patch.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ulio posted:

It looks interesting, I always wanted to check it out, I'll wait for a sale because its kinda expensive for an older game.

Invisible Inc came out in 2015! And it's one of the best strategy games I've ever played!

...That said it has some really nice steep sales from time to time, so do wait a bit. And grab the DLC when you do, it's worth it! (Though, do a playthrough first without the DLC as the base game is tuned to be shorter and it's good all on its own.)

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Agreed, calling it old is a bit of a misnomer, but you can probably count on a good sale price again for a really excellent stealth game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
VC1 is both glaringly, painfully anime (and this coming from an occasional anime fan) and also falls into the trap that lot of tactically complex games do: they wanted strategy to play a role but couldn't be arsed to design a competent AI, so the AI is dumb as a pile of bricks but can perform cross-map headshots on infantry with anti-tank field guns. It also has a really really wonky cover mechanic where cover is an entirely binary value; either a unit is in cover or it's not. If you flank them, and they have no cover relative to you, they still get a huge defensive bonus so long as they're standing next to a sandbag or something.

It also encourages you to go as fast as possible and exploit instant-win conditions to get the best score you can, and thus getting high ranks often depends on taking suicidally aggressive maneuvers.

To be fair, it has a style all its own that I've never really seen in a game before. With some more work I think it could have been really good. As it is, I couldn't bring myself to finish it.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 27, 2017