Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This games netcode is awful. Wow.

I'm done for the night but Nintendo is kidding themselves if I'm going to pay for it when it's this bad. Literally every single match I've had tonight is a 4 v 3 or had atrocious latency bugs where I'd be fighting someone, kill them, and their death marker appears like 10feet behind me.

I have a wired connection and all my other systems run fine so I know it's actually not me. Combined with the DNS thing happening time to time my confidence has hit rock bottom

It must be you because on my end it felt perfectly smooth. Either way this is to make sure they tweak it to make it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It's smooth as me as well even with players with Japanese names.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
can someone explain the sniper rifle with me because I can't help but feel like it's an auto-loss weapon

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
16-2... My power is returning...

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

horchata posted:

can someone explain the sniper rifle with me because I can't help but feel like it's an auto-loss weapon

It's a weapon of great skill.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The sniper weapon is picked if you want your team to hate you and also lose. Maybe it'll have better loadouts in the full game but as is if my team had it the sniper dude would always have 1 kill at best and like 200 points

On the topic of netcode it was mostly okay for me earlier today so I don't want to give up on it or anything but I remember Splatoon 1 kind of winding up the same way and man, I don't want that again even if the game is super fun :(

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Takoluka posted:

Holding to see the map and then contorting your hands to squid jump would be a nightmare.

whats contorting? dont you just select the person with the d-pad and press A? its pretty easy to hold a button and press a button right next to it.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Just chipping in that my games feel smooth as can be.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This games netcode is awful. Wow.

I'm done for the night but Nintendo is kidding themselves if I'm going to pay for it when it's this bad. Literally every single match I've had tonight is a 4 v 3 or had atrocious latency bugs where I'd be fighting someone, kill them, and their death marker appears like 10feet behind me.

I have a wired connection and all my other systems run fine so I know it's actually not me. Combined with the DNS thing happening time to time my confidence has hit rock bottom

I have also seen nothing of the sort, including DNS errors. Smooth as hell

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Maple Leaf posted:

Just chipping in that my games feel smooth as can be.

Same, I've had one "I killed them then I did a moment later" deaths and that might have just been travel time (it was a roller splat at close range)

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I have also not been having any issues with connectivity, which surprises me because I had them out the rear end with Splatoon 1. All of my online experience with this testfire has been nigh-flawless. :shrug:

Motion controls still gently caress me over on multiple occasions. It's not so much a technical issue but rather how I myself move my controller: every left-or-right movement I make will always be accompanied by lifting it upwards, which means I'll always line up horizontally and then shoot over the target's head. If there were an option to turn the vertical gyroscoping off while preserving the horizontal, I could make it work, but this is sadly not a thing.

horchata posted:

It's got a pretty high skill ceiling and almost definitely needs the motion controls to be effective, but it's worth learning if you can manage it - it's the only way to oneshot an enemy at range, and a fully charged shot can spread quite a lot of ink.

The Charger in the demo has a pretty abysmal subweapon loadout compared to the rest though - regular Splat Bombs and the Sting Ray are less than spectacular on a dedicated sniping weapon. I feel like it and the Roller's subweapons should be swapped (Splashdown on a dedicated melee weapon is also unimpressive).

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 25, 2017

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I still notice the lag similarly to Splatoon 1 (I killed someone, and then about 10 seconds later I just popped and it said they killed me)
My LAN adapter is still on my WiiU though - I should probably connect it for the next round of this and see if it's any different

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
i got the DNS error earlier, turning the switch completely off and back on fixed it for me. otherwise splatoon has been running smoothly.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Every death prompts a good look at my controller. argh

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Two minutes left GET YOUR SQUID ON BEFORE ITS TOO LATE

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

re: sniper rifles

They weren't any good in the "ink everything" modes even in Splatoon 1. They were pretty monstrous in King of the Hill, so don't write them off until the full release.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The entire point of chargers isn't for you to coat an area with paint but its to kill the enemy team enough your teammates can dominate the map with your ink

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

mabels big day posted:

whats contorting? dont you just select the person with the d-pad and press A? its pretty easy to hold a button and press a button right next to it.

For some reason, I was thinking B.

Still, I don't think it's that big of a thing. Maybe it'll be an option on full release.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Chargers were mega effetive painters. As fast as nearly all other weapon types.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Maple Leaf posted:

re: sniper rifles

They weren't any good in the "ink everything" modes even in Splatoon 1. They were pretty monstrous in King of the Hill, so don't write them off until the full release.

I often got over 1000 points in turf war with the Squiffer.

Edit!: Chargers weird people out in Splatoon because they're accustomed to sitting and camping with sniper weapons in other games, but in Splatoon, camping will lose you the game, and I think a lot of people aren't comfortable going down into the fray with sniper-type weapons. It's not only required, but actually completely possible. But you need to know where the best spots are, how to rapidly move between them based on the flow of the match, and it doesn't hurt to be a good enough shot to point-blank the occasional Roller that tries to jump you.

EightFlyingCars fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 25, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Went back in and connection seemed better but still has me a little spooked.

Won literally every match I played tonight.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Had one or two instances of being murdered when well out of roller range, but all in all a good time again.

They took down the servers on time this time so that was sort of sad

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Still going!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I lust for blood

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Fuuuuuuuck, I did a recording, but the audio was set to my mic rather than the game. I went 10-2, it was gonna be great :(

When's the next PTF? I'll be sure to mark it on my calendar.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Nevermind!!!!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I think the worst part of the Testfire is that no one wants to squid party with me.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Lemming posted:

I lust for blood

Still murdering everyone, I see.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
It was smooth for me on WIFI, though I have my switch next to the router so take that with a grain of salt. Dual Splatties are super fun and I like the homing missile super, though I never got more than one person with it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

andipossess posted:

I felt like I had an opportunity to try out the new stuff they added and changed, or to use only the Splattershot and murder noobs who don't even know the super jump makes a giant arrow

I have no regrets

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It's the worst when you think you can squeeze one last match out and then you get kicked right as it's about to start.:smith:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Gann Jerrod posted:

It was smooth for me on WIFI, though I have my switch next to the router so take that with a grain of salt. Dual Splatties are super fun and I like the homing missile super, though I never got more than one person with it.

The missile feels much more like a zoning tool, you won't kill anyone directly unless they can't move, so you force them out of their hidey hole and chase them down

It REALLY helps that it gives you that lock on the whole time, so it's like a mini map hack too

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

andipossess posted:

Actually I think you're the one to ask; how do you feel about the charger changes? Every charger I played against was predictably miserable so I couldn't judge how different it makes things

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Playing in tablet mode with my router across the room, ran completely flawless for me (aside from one or two long queue times)

They even let me finish my last game before booting me out of the demo

Got my rear end kicked but I'm gonna keep playing for sure

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lemming posted:

The missile feels much more like a zoning tool, you won't kill anyone directly unless they can't move, so you force them out of their hidey hole and chase them down

It REALLY helps that it gives you that lock on the whole time, so it's like a mini map hack too

I totally abused the lock on to hunt down some folks who thought they were too good for my missiles. :colbert:

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

My favorite thing so far is to hide behind a wall in the corner of the map, activate the stingray, and then pull up my map to see where I ought to be aiming. Even if I don't kill someone, I get to imagine that people are running like gently caress from it.

EDIT:

Lemming posted:

Actually I think you're the one to ask; how do you feel about the charger changes? Every charger I played against was predictably miserable so I couldn't judge how different it makes things

I'm still not used to holding the charge, and some weird stuff happens sometimes when you go over a patch of enemy ink. The time I tried it, I lost the charge, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Also, I think you have to be fully charged to save the charge, though I haven't tested that thoroughly.

Otherwise, since this was basically my standard loadout, the only big difference was the new super, which is interesting, but I don't know how it compares against the bomb rush.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 25, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This game works so well with mobile hotspot on T-Mobile for me. I'm going to be playing a bunch of matches online when I'm waiting somewhere.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I kinda don't like the new maps.
the map backgrounds seem overly busy, like there's a million things everywhere.

found myself going back to the splattershot, new specials feel weird and are going to take some getting used to. This testfire doesnt let you just stick around in the tutorial forever it seems, so time to wait until the next testfire to try them some more.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I liked the new underpass-like one but not the one above the swimming pool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I personally don't mind that the maps have more plastic on them so there are slightly less ways to pop up and surprise someone, but there always plenty of back paths to ninja someone.

• Locked thread