Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://killyourphone.com/

here's some fun you can have with rf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

OSI bean dip posted:

it's as if physics should be ignored. even the glass in fiber optic cable, which is so clear that it could be 40 km thick and still produce a near-perfect image to an observer looking through will still muck up the light you're receiving

this is irrelevant because it's a teensy tiny effect compounded by traversing a long distance. we're talking about a plastic doodad for a phone. there are tons of plastic doodads you can put on top of a phone and they don't effect signal strength. a 40km thick plastic phone case would, though.

Shifty Pony posted:

bingo. a big sheet-o-glass has pretty negligible attenuation at phone frequencies (look at the purple line on page 3 of this) but every change in material results in a change in the propagation velocity. thanks to physics that boundary condition results in some amount of reflection. for glass fibers in plastic those boundaries are also curved and randomly distributed so they cause a bit of lensing and diffusion with the end result being something like this lamp filled with crushed glass:

yes, this is the correct explanation. waves can only maintain spatial coherence if the structure of the discontinuities appear more or less uniform at the size scale of the wavelength. that's why only very smooth surfaces can be partially reflective or transparent. specks of glass will gently caress poo poo up unless they're effectively infinitesimal and uniformly distributed at the size scale of the wavelength, at which point it just looks like a sort of uniform average of the constituent materials.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

this is irrelevant because it's a teensy tiny effect compounded by traversing a long distance. we're talking about a plastic doodad for a phone. there are tons of plastic doodads you can put on top of a phone and they don't effect signal strength. a 40km thick plastic phone case would, though.

yes, this is the correct explanation. waves can only maintain spatial coherence if the structure of the discontinuities appear more or less uniform at the size scale of the wavelength. that's why only very smooth surfaces can be partially reflective or transparent. specks of glass will gently caress poo poo up unless they're effectively infinitesimal and uniformly distributed at the size scale of the wavelength, at which point it just looks like a sort of uniform average of the constituent materials.

~lays a piece of cellophane tape over a frosted glass surface~

i'm a spy!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like the kickstarter fidget cube backers are finally getting their cubus.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Synthbuttrange posted:

Looks like the kickstarter fidget cube backers are finally getting their cubus.

most people backed for the march 2017 delivery, so those ones aregetting them on time.

the early tier however was meant to be december, but actually shipped in late january and early feb lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

my colleague got one and i want to murder him. if he hasn't gotten bored or lost it by the end of the week im going to flush the fucker.

vvv insert oblig "lol you don't have your own office get a real job" joke below this post vvv

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

cheese-cube posted:

my colleague got one and i want to murder him. if he hasn't gotten bored or lost it by the end of the week im going to flush the fucker.

vvv insert oblig "lol you don't have your own office get a real job" joke below this post vvv

I pity you too much to joke about it

I hope your horrible life choices are reversible

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

* is it a macbook? is it an iphone? ... it's bookphoneiXtender

they basically admit on the page that it's just going to be a bluetooth keyboard and a screen connected using video-out but they also patented it and expect it to eventually be as commonplace as laptops. somehow they believe there is simultaneously a huge unmet demand for these products and that apple itself couldn't just grind their company into a fine paste with an competing product if that demand ever materialized.

lol, 5 years later:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
piiiiiiisssss

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus has this lovely thread been going on that long?!

Sair
May 11, 2007

there's no end to lovely crowdsourcing now

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
http://www.clickhole.com/quiz/how-many-these-failed-kickstarter-projects-have-yo-5882

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
finally someone is willing to say what we're all thinking: have you ever tried to cut bread, with your all-purpose chef knife?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm the lacerations

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i grab the bottom third of the knife so i guess i cant buy this retarded hunk of crap that has a stupid name. seriously they should have called it the blt gladius or the sandwichmaster 9000.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"doppio" just means "double" in italian iirc so it's like the zeroest-effort name ever

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
shoulda just called it "doppi" because thats how you look when you use it

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

japanese steel though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

"doppio" just means "double" in italian iirc so it's like the zeroest-effort name ever

bill hicks' rant about orange drink would have been longer if he were a polyglot

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my parents gave me their old bread knife & its pretty good

except if the bread is sticky

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hifi posted:

blt gladius

mods!

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

anthonypants posted:

finally someone is willing to say what we're all thinking: have you ever tried to cut bread, with your all-purpose chef knife?

*tries to slice bread with chefs knife*
"there has to be a better way!"

Sair
May 11, 2007

I just don't have room in my kitchen for two knives

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
buddy this is a two knife household, like it or leave it

three knives? that's bordering on insulting

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

my goth gf posted:

buddy this is a two knife household, like it or leave it

three knives? that's bordering on insulting

tbqh i read this in a captain murphy voice

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

exploded mummy posted:

this is the best way to read everything

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my goth gf posted:

this is the best way to read everything

how long have you had that av

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

how long have you had that av

a couple weeks i think?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
post "there go my nipples again" for verification purposes

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

post "there go my nipples again" for verification purposes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEhoSQKrw_A

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

exploded mummy posted:

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Sagebrush posted:

i'm the lacerations

I can't imagine the hospital nightmares this will cause the first time someone's hand slips forward.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
let's relive the glorious past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbPWitSTe2k

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I like this one, that ball can move fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulFX2sw0sm0

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-04-19/silicon-valley-s-400-juicer-may-be-feeling-the-squeeze

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

how could something dubbed the keurig of juice possibly fail?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The keurig of juice

But with way more garbage per 8oz glass

I remember something from the inventor of the keurig where he feels guilty that it's wasteful yet super popular and "it's not like drip coffee is hard to make"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont know if its american only but we've got this deep seated fear of throwing away food. like half a cabbage is what, 50 cents but it feels worse throwing away than getting a flat of those tiny water bottles

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

So, other than the fact that you have to buy a $400 machine before you can get the packets, what's stopping you from just cutting the tip of the pouch to get faster flow of juice coming out of the pack?

Like, who thought this was a good idea?
Who loving invested in this poo poo?
What were they thinking?

I'm so confused, mad, have so many questions, uaihaoidjgp
a dfa jdofaj
dp fa
d fja
opdfapk d
fad[fa
dpfap dfaoijdn 'fai
df aid f
a ei r90 2w34r
aike0raeut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the pack is full of vegetables they've run through a food processor, which is why there's no difference between a $400 press and hand-wringing the pouch. it doesn't contain juice, which is the gimmick.

• Locked thread