Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
drat. They cut off my last game and I was doing really well.

I feel like I did ok considering I've never played the game before. But yeah holy poo poo it's fun. So much more to it than your standard shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Wow Zelda is a stuttering mess compared to Spla2oon

Oh yeah someone mentioned screen shots look eh. This is not a game you judge by those, it is 1080p60 all the way in the demo docked. 0 dropped frames

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The mind tricks have worked. I have ordered Splatoon 2.

The year is 2017 and Nintendo is the company that has revived arena shooters. The gently caress?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah you can't go by the screen cap button it compresses everything down

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Even considering I had a ton of fun, the gyro controls are not perfect and take a TON of getting used to. I only just barely started to get the hang of it by the end of the hour.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Louisgod posted:

Wow Zelda is a stuttering mess compared to Spla2oon

It's much more important for this to be consistently 60fps.
I hope the hub is full speed too this time.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I want the gyro controls to be as sensitive as the bow in Zelda, just because I'm used to that. There'll probably be an option in the full game.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Music Theory posted:

I want the gyro controls to be as sensitive as the bow in Zelda, just because I'm used to that. There'll probably be an option in the full game.

There's already an option to up the gyro sensitivity from the weapon select screen (you have to choose Exit to get to it). I haven't actually messed with the gyro sensitivity in this game yet, though I'm definitely going go back and do that when I pick up the full game.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Music Theory posted:

It's an option in the testfire. On the weapon select screen, press + and you can change the controls.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

look i only have an hour at best to play splatoon and you think i'm going to go digging around in the options menu when I could be a squid and/or kid???

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Splatoon songs are good. I like the one that goes "got it on video, gotta gotta get it on video"

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's much more important for this to be consistently 60fps.
I hope the hub is full speed too this time.

Sure all I'm saying is that it Zelda's frame dips are insanely noticeable after playing Splatoon. Normalizing a bit now but it was jarring at first.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If you are having trouble with the gyro aim try playing with one joycon in each hand. The gyro goes off, I believe, the right joycon and it makes it easier to learn the gyro aiming

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

There's no gyro invert option in Splatoon 2 either but at this point I'm willing to accept the fact that I'm a hosed up freak. It takes me a few minutes to adjust every time I pick up the controller but it's still good as hell.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Also: disappointed that dualies aren't controlled by shooting with the corresponding hand.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

There's no gyro invert option in Splatoon 2 either but at this point I'm willing to accept the fact that I'm a hosed up freak. It takes me a few minutes to adjust every time I pick up the controller but it's still good as hell.

Hold the joycon upside down :D

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Music Theory posted:

Also: disappointed that dualies aren't controlled by shooting with the corresponding hand.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hold the joycon upside down :D

I actually did this for a couple of matches but it makes respawning weird. :(

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I have trouble because sometimes I'm leaning forward and sometimes I sit back and the controller is in two completely different positions because of that. I realize I can reset with Y but I'd prefer the controls just be the same no matter what position I'm sitting in.

I totally realize and appreciate the benefits of the gyro. I think it's a way more accurate way to aim, but this is not the perfect implementation of it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mahoning posted:

I have trouble because sometimes I'm leaning forward and sometimes I sit back and the controller is in two completely different positions because of that. I realize I can reset with Y but I'd prefer the controls just be the same no matter what position I'm sitting in.

I totally realize and appreciate the benefits of the gyro. I think it's a way more accurate way to aim, but this is not the perfect implementation of it.

I... what? I'm not sure what you're asking, pressing one button to reset the 0 position is like the best possible solution to your problem. I'm not sure what you mean by "controls just be the same" since all it detects is its orientation. It is the same, from the controller's point of view. It can't know you're shifting and not just tilting.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lemming posted:

I... what? I'm not sure what you're asking, pressing one button to reset the 0 position is like the best possible solution to your problem. I'm not sure what you mean by "controls just be the same" since all it detects is its orientation. It is the same, from the controller's point of view. It can't know you're shifting and not just tilting.

I mean I'm used to playing shooters where I don't have to reset the controls 6 times a game. Why is it like a weird thing to wish that I didn't have to do that?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Well just cause it's physically impossible. Maybe if there was a camera viewing you to tell your posture had changed and you weren't tilting the controller on purpose, but I doubt it would work well or have decent latency.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Seriously why is "aim the direction you rotate the controller to" not an option, yet alone the default?

Adapting to holding the controllers upside down isn't hard, but it sure is a weird oversight.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mahoning posted:

I mean I'm used to playing shooters where I don't have to reset the controls 6 times a game. Why is it like a weird thing to wish that I didn't have to do that?

You can turn off the motion controls entirely (which makes it worse) but if you want to use a control system based on positioning you have to accept pressing one easy to reach button occasionally when you shift your position, which I don't feel is particularly onorous

It's sort of like lifting your mouse up to reposition, it's really not a big deal once you get used to it

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Seriously why is "aim the direction you rotate the controller to" not an option, yet alone the default?

Adapting to holding the controllers upside down isn't hard, but it sure is a weird oversight.

I agree adding more controller remapping is a big miss generally in Nintendo games, I don't see any good reason not to include more options

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

parallelodad posted:

Well just cause it's physically impossible. Maybe if there was a camera viewing you to tell your posture had changed and you weren't tilting the controller on purpose, but I doubt it would work well or have decent latency.

Listen, I'm not an idiot and I understand that. But I'm just trying to honestly convey my first impressions of this game and what I perceive as a big downside for me. Just me.

I still loved the game and plan on buying it. I don't need convinced that my impressions are somehow wrong or misguided. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Motion controls where always hit or miss with Splatoon, you either like them or don't so don't feel bad if you don't like that.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Mahoning posted:

How is the game supposed to tell the difference between "the controller is tilted back because the player's aiming" vs "the controller is tilted back because the player is sitting in a different position"?

The answer is: it can't. The technology cannot do it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
So, I am looking forward to Splatoon 2, just hope I don't burn out on it like I did Splatoon 1 after 2-3 months. Also looking forward to MK8, Rime, Shakedown: Hawaii, and that Mr Shifty looks like an interesting Hotline Miami clone.

Lemming posted:

I agree adding more controller remapping is a big miss generally in Nintendo games, I don't see any good reason not to include more options

Ya, like resetting the camera's y-axis in handheld mode like you can with the controllers detached so you can play in bed or reclining in a chair. Ok, my 3rd time complaining about it will be my last.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

having mario kart 8 deluxe and splatoon 2 installed on this thing is going to be nuts

the switch, guys!!!!!!!!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

How is the game supposed to tell the difference between "the controller is tilted back because the player's aiming" vs "the controller is tilted back because the player is sitting in a different position"?

The answer is: it can't. The technology cannot do it.

Cool, thanks man. I'll be sure to consider the realities of gyroscopic technologies next time I'm in the middle of playing a game for the first time and sharing my honest experience on a video game discussion forum.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Splatoon 2 is loving dope. And I hate shooters.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FireMrshlBill posted:

So, I am looking forward to Splatoon 2, just hope I don't burn out on it like I did Splatoon 1 after 2-3 months. Also looking forward to MK8, Rime, Shakedown: Hawaii, and that Mr Shifty looks like an interesting Hotline Miami clone.

Ya, like resetting the camera's y-axis in handheld mode like you can with the controllers detached so you can play in bed or reclining in a chair. Ok, my 3rd time complaining about it will be my last.

I read this before and specifically tried it out, pressing y in handheld mode definitely changed the y axis for me. Maybe there was something else up but I imagine it should still work

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

FWIW Splatoon 2 is also the first console shooter I've played where I haven't turned look sensitivity up to maximum and not wished that I could increase it 300% more. Apart from being inverted the range of motion feels really natural right out of the box.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey perhaps if a game requires you to constantly recalibrate it then maybe it should t use that as a control option.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

Hey perhaps if a game requires you to constantly recalibrate it then maybe it should t use that as a control option.

For the majority of players who stick with the game, the benefits outweigh the downsides.

giffan
Jul 10, 2012
My only gripes from the testfire are that the maps shown did not feel that unique, and the default y-axis angle was kinda off for me so I couldn't recline back like I could before. I forgot to try cooking the curler bomb like I've seen, so that's my goal for the next testfire. That, and to try it with the pro controller.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

good thing the gyro controls are optional for people who can't keep their hands still for some strange reason and want to handicap themselves

if you're capable of using a controller like a normal human, it's a complete nonissue

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This is why nobody likes playing FPS's on PC, you constantly have to lift your hand to recalibrate the mouse position. It's a huge problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't get to play the beta, where the gyro controls the same as the Wii U? I thought they were fine on that

• Locked thread