Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fluffykittys
Aug 22, 2016

I can't hear you over the sound of me licking my own anus.
Error Code:34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Okay, so I've been tasked with bartending my friend's wedding. It'll just be cocktails and wine, and only two cocktails at that. I'm doing an Old Fashioned with peach-infused bourbon and three bitters (Ango, orange, Peychaud's), and a rosemary-lemon-infused gin and tonic. The event will be about 140 people. How much do I make of these cocktails, considering they'll be the only liquor available? Any tips on process, scaling up recipes, etc?

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

poop dood posted:

Okay, so I've been tasked with bartending my friend's wedding. It'll just be cocktails and wine, and only two cocktails at that. I'm doing an Old Fashioned with peach-infused bourbon and three bitters (Ango, orange, Peychaud's), and a rosemary-lemon-infused gin and tonic. The event will be about 140 people. How much do I make of these cocktails, considering they'll be the only liquor available? Any tips on process, scaling up recipes, etc?
Kenning is usually the go-to person for large batch drinks, you might try messaging him.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
How many drinkers and for how long?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I'm meeting with the bride and groom on Sunday to hammer out details (and present them with trial versions of the cocktails), after that I'll have better info with which to work this out.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

poop dood posted:

I'm meeting with the bride and groom on Sunday to hammer out details (and present them with trial versions of the cocktails), after that I'll have better info with which to work this out.

I'm happy to be corrected by a pro, but the advice I've seen cited is to have 2 drinks per drinker for the first hour, and one drink per person for each hour after that. So you'll need to figure out how many drinkers are in your 140, and what the split is between wine and cocktail drinkers, then go from there.

As far as pre-batching cocktails (i.e. not punches) goes, you have to decide if you want to add a controlled amount of water directly to the batch (usually around 30% of the volume, but it depends on the drink and your taste, start low and taste and add) and then chill the watered batch as close to freezing as possible (so it doesn't dilute much more over ice in the glass), or batch without water and then use ice to chill as normal. The first is easier for service but requires freezers and time, vice versa for the second.

I don't have it in front of me right now but if I remember right, Sasha Petraske's posthumous book has a section with his notes on catering cocktail parties; it might be worth picking up (and the book has lots of great M&H recipes anyway).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I want to try my hand at a Blood & Sand. Currently I have some Glenfiddich 15, and Laphroaig 10, as well as Martini & Rossi and Tribuno vermouths.

Are these scotches/vermouths acceptable for this cocktail? Is Cherry Heering abslutely the flavoured brandy I need? I read a few pages back and just saw discussion on mezcal being used for its smokiness, would the Laphroaig be a good scotch to use?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Johnny Truant posted:

Is Cherry Heering abslutely the flavoured brandy I need?

I suppose other good cherry brandies might exist, but I haven't tried them. You should absolutely not use any sort of generic or bottom-shelf cherry liqueur, and kirschwasser is a totally different thing.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 30, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Ditto for Maraschino, which is good stuff but also completely different from Cherry Heering.

I haven't tried either scotch, but based on the flavor profile descriptions I'm seeing, you'd want to use the Laphroaig in a Blood & Sand for the smoky/peaty qualities.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Awesome, thanks for the advice!

Next question, though: is any old stainless steel bar shaker acceptable, or is there a best type of one or brand? That's probably what I need to invest in, next..

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Johnny Truant posted:

Awesome, thanks for the advice!

Next question, though: is any old stainless steel bar shaker acceptable, or is there a best type of one or brand? That's probably what I need to invest in, next..

Koriko weighted tins are really nice . Nothing else feels right after using them

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

goferchan posted:

Koriko weighted tins are really nice . Nothing else feels right after using them

:hfive:

And I should get the pair, the large and the small, correct? Are the steel cocktail strainers worth it, as well?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

:hfive:

And I should get the pair, the large and the small, correct? Are the steel cocktail strainers worth it, as well?

Yeah grab a pair. I'm sure their strainers are great but these OXO ones are real solid too and dirt cheap.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I much prefer Koriko's hawthorne strainer, it has a tighter coil for better straining, it gets a good seal on the edge of the cup, and the finger tab gets very easy leverage

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 30, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I'll second the Koriko tins. The OXO strainer works, but a tighter coil would be nice for when I don't feel like double-straining.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
OK, this weekend is going to be Old Fashioned weekend, I've got the bourbon, bitters, simple syrup and some fat ice cubes. What are some good variations on the basic drink to mix it up?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When making variations on the Old Fashioned, the most important factor is how many fedora-wearers are angry about it. Adds a refreshing bitterness. So, try some orange, and if you're feeling frisky, maybe even a maraschino cherry.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

When making variations on the Old Fashioned, the most important factor is how many fedora-wearers are angry about it. Adds a refreshing bitterness. So, try some orange, and if you're feeling frisky, maybe even a maraschino cherry.

I was thinking Orange Crush. :v:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

sean10mm posted:

OK, this weekend is going to be Old Fashioned weekend, I've got the bourbon, bitters, simple syrup and some fat ice cubes. What are some good variations on the basic drink to mix it up?

Replacing the Angostura with different bitters is a good way to change it up. Alternatively, replace the white sugar/simple syrup with demerara or turbinado. Further afield, other spirits do well with the same preparation. Rye and brandy are traditional alternatives. Rum works well too.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Seconding rum for Old Fashioneds. Also, allow yourself to get weird when considering substitutes for the sugar component. I like maple syrup, especially when combined with black walnut bitters and a mix of calvados and rye as the base spirits.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

poop dood posted:

Seconding rum for Old Fashioneds. Also, allow yourself to get weird when considering substitutes for the sugar component. I like maple syrup, especially when combined with black walnut bitters and a mix of calvados and rye as the base spirits.

I usually don't change too much with Calvados, it goes pretty well with Angostura, I find, but that sounds pretty tasty.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
That does sound good. I did a similarly definition-stretching Old Fashioned last week that turned out pretty good but needs tweaking. Split base of rye and Ancho Reyes (I forget if I did 1 oz of each or 1.5 and 0.5, respectively) plus demerara syrup and mole bitters.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Is Ancho Reyes good to have at a bar? I've never had a bottle to play with but it always sounded kinda gimmicky

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Do the Wisconsin old fashioned variation: Sugar, maraschino, orange and Angostura muddled, brandy, then sweet, sour or press.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

goferchan posted:

Is Ancho Reyes good to have at a bar? I've never had a bottle to play with but it always sounded kinda gimmicky

I think it's a little overpriced, and you can certainly live without it, but I like it. It's more about ancho chile flavor than heat; it actually adds very little heat to a cocktail.

There was some kind of limited release late last year of a "verde" version that uses green poblanos instead to give a fresher vegetal flavor, but from what I've read, it's only available in New York for now.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Old Fashioned recipes often mention water, but are always super vague on how much or what kind. Is there a rule of thumb I've never heard of, or what?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

sean10mm posted:

Old Fashioned recipes often mention water, but are always super vague on how much or what kind. Is there a rule of thumb I've never heard of, or what?

Just enough to dissolve the sugar

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

goferchan posted:

I've been using a splash of Ancho Reyes in my over complicated Margarita recipe. When it runs out, I probably won't buy more.

Initially I found it way sweeter than expected, it definitely is a liqueur. I would say it's definitely non essential.

Dried anchos are very cheap, maybe I could experiment with making my own tincture instead...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

2DCAT posted:

Just enough to dissolve the sugar

Is there a reason for this? I'm assuming it's just easier to dissolve the sugar in water than trying to do it in the alcohol itself?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Comb Your Beard posted:

I've been using a splash of Ancho Reyes in my over complicated Margarita recipe. When it runs out, I probably won't buy more.

Initially I found it way sweeter than expected, it definitely is a liqueur. I would say it's definitely non essential.

Dried anchos are very cheap, maybe I could experiment with making my own tincture instead...

Yeah, I should've mentioned the sweetness. If it's being subbed into a drink, it's probably a good idea to dial back any sugar/syrup component.

I haven't tried making tinctures or liqueurs since college, but I'm tempted to give it another shot, now that I know an iSi whipper will do the infusion in minutes instead of weeks.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

Is there a reason for this? I'm assuming it's just easier to dissolve the sugar in water than trying to do it in the alcohol itself?
It's pretty much impossible to dissolve granulated sugar directly into liquor, yes. I like to make my own simple, but some people feel it's just not an Old Fashioned if you don't muddle a sugar cube in water, and enjoy the ritual involved.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

You remember in college where you'd stir packs of offbrand drink mix into offbrand Everclear for very alcoholic vaguely grape brainkilling goodness that left a weird purple sludge at the bottom? That's because the sugar didn't dissolve.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Ancho is tasty, but I find it gets lost in drinks very easily. It's 80 proof but sweeter. It's also actually distilled from the chiles which is cool.

The verde is available in CA at least. The nose is the high point. Very aromatic. A little spicier. Much more vegetal. I'm going to try to use it in a mister because at $29/750mL it's a little too pricy for me to mix with.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

sean10mm posted:

Old Fashioned weekend
Oleo Saccharum is a good way to go, and it is easy to make. Just throw about four oranges worth of peel in a ziplock bag with a cup of sugar (pref. turbinado) for 6-8 hours, until the sugar becomes a paste. After that throw a cup of hot rear end/near boiling water in and strain off the peel. You can do this recipe with any citrus, I finished up a grapefruit version recently that I just adore, but the orange is going to be an interesting alternative to the Wisconsin-style-muddle-some-poo poo-in-a-glass.

My preferred recipe:
1.5oz High proof bourbon (I use Larceny)
.5oz Oleo saccharum
3-4 Healthy dashes Angostura
Splash of water
Stir and garnish with lemon + and orange peel, after expressing the gently caress out of each on top of the drink.

Random thing I threw together with what I had recently:
1.5-2oz Whiskey (I'm using a crock of Tully)
.5oz Grapefruit oleo saccharum
2-3 Dashes Angostura
1/2 Lemon, squeezed
Stir and serve

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Just curious, why use water for oleosaccharum instead of the juice?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

someone in a bachelorette party today complained that negronis "taste like loving xanax" and im so mad i never thought of that before

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Just curious, why use water for oleosaccharum instead of the juice?

I haven't tried it before, but how tart is oleo-saccharum on its own? Keeping it separate from the juice seems like it would give more control over the overall flavor of the drink you're making.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

the oil from citrus peel also just has a different flavor than juice and turning that flavor into a syrup is why you're making the oleo . taste some fresh squeezed lime juice and then squeeze some lime zest (spoiler, it tastes like poo poo!) onto your tongue, the flavors are really different

The GOP Delusion
Sep 10, 2010

The security of Israel is a moral imperative for all free peoples.

Halloween Jack posted:

I suppose other good cherry brandies might exist, but I haven't tried them. You should absolutely not use any sort of generic or bottom-shelf cherry liqueur, and kirschwasser is a totally different thing.

Luxardo makes something called Cherry Sangue Marlacco which also makes an acceptable blood and sand. I like using peaty scotches like Laphroaig, and also I think 2:1:1 scotch:vermouth:cherry is the only way to go, the drink is tepid in equal parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

The GOP Delusion posted:

Luxardo makes something called Cherry Sangue Marlacco which also makes an acceptable blood and sand. I like using peaty scotches like Laphroaig, and also I think 2:1:1 scotch:vermouth:cherry is the only way to go, the drink is tepid in equal parts.

So you cut the blood orange entirely? I guess it is kind of an odd pairing with scotch.