Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Loel posted:

Hope the boche are having as much fun as we are :v:

I got dead! I liked that general too! (dying ignominiously was a pretty funny end, tbh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Turn 49: 0800
British initiative

The 7th Brigade sidles quietly out of the Bois de Blob and occupies the trenches; one company is left out in the open and begins digging, another does its best to conceal itself in the edge of the trees.

Your infantry begins arriving on the field, weary but eager for another crack at Fritz.

Meanwhile, in the rear, your cavalry division's HQ scuttles for its dugouts as it hears the noise of an aeroplane flying overhead.

Turn 50: 0830
British initiative

Right, time for a couple of important notes about the last adjudication. One of your engineers got lost in mid-update and mistakenly stood still instead of continuing with its orders. I've ruled that he is in fact here.

(Then I went and looked at the orders again and found that the wire was in the wrong place :bang: Its position will be corrected on future turns.)

Are we down'earted? No!

Turn 51: 0900
German initiative

Hello? Hello? Did anyone order some guns? I needs someone to sign for them, you see...

It's a long way to Tipperary...

The southern engineers are digging again.

Turn 52: 0930
British initiative

The guns cross the bridge that they have, in fact, come to. Their officers look around nervously for any staff officers carrying explosives.

Belgium put the kibosh on the Kaiser...

Mid-update overview

Turn 53: 1000
British initiative

On and on and on

Mademoiselle from Armentieres, parlay-voo?

Turn 54: 1030
German initiative

Rollin rollin rollin rollin

The singing from your infantry is suddenly cut short; as they advance to their full 8 inches, they notice some enemy cavalry loitering in the wood!

It seems they too have used up all their movement, and so nobody is able to fire.

Turn 55: 1100
German initiative

The artillery's boredom is relieved as they hear the rifle fire from up ahead.

Back at the Bois de Blob, there's now a whole cavalry brigade charging your infantry...

Wait, a whole brigade against two? Hmm. They succeed in closing to contact and pinning the southern brigade in place; but this has the happy result of freezing the MG so it can open fire...

One of the enemy MGs was still moving into position; it was two vs two. Then your rifles have their say.

Fifteen rounds a minute for 30 minutes is a hell of a weight of fire to withstand, but three enemy companies survive to the close combat phase...

Four companies are killed, four more are retreating suppressed, but it could have been even worse than that...

Turn 56: 1130
British initiative

Your guns reach the crossroads.

Your suppressed companies continue retreating, but will be eligible to rally in the next rally phase.

The Bois de Blob is a clusterfuck; the cavalry charge continues, but then in the north, it's bayonets against machine guns.

The northern machine-guns take a horrible toll, but are eventually overcome by sheer weight of numbers; and you have enough rifles to the south to score a number of kills, including the enemy brigade commander!

Then they make a morale check, and this is the Germans making a morale check, so I don't need to explain what happens next. I even switched dice for them, and they still honked it.

There's where we stand. It's 12 noon, time for the penguin on top of your television set to explode.

Another infantry division is approaching. The Corps Commander now must make a decision. At the cost of 1 fatigue point, you can have it arrive on the field beginning 1600 (so, not this update coming, the next one). Otherwise it'll arrive beginning 2000, and move forward under cover of darkness (which probably won't go too badly wrong until you send anyone off-road). It is accompanied by 4 18-pound field guns, 4 4.5-inch howitzers, and two foot engineers.

:siren: The next soft deadline is 5pm, Saturday 25 March. Another infantry brigade may enter on Turn 57; your deployment zone is unchanged.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am glad that we sent both brigades south.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
We've got the center secured.

If this is the same cavalry brigade we saw earlier, we got stupidly, ridiculously lucky. It could have easily intercepted our artillery via sighting our engineer, and I don't think that's a fight we would have won. But I guess they failed their rolls?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Splendid. If I rush the brigade, do I have to say where its arriving on map? Or can I wait until next round?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

Splendid. If I rush the brigade, do I have to say where its arriving on map? Or can I wait until next round?

Division.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

Division.

EVEN BETTER :neckbeard:

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Things went pretty well. I was fairly certain they would have remained where they were until they saw a high value target. There's no reason to have your cavalry set to charge out of such a valuable spotting position without a very good reason.

My only minor concern was the German brigadier was a bit overzealous and would have tried rush into Bois de Coq, if they managed to do that during the night we wouldn't have any artillery right now. I didn't think they would do that since that's a very risky move for the Germans.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Being lucky is even better than being good.

I think we'll be seeing increased caution, given whats happened his last two advances. Do we have a ball park of what their plane saw?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Loel posted:

I think we'll be seeing increased caution, given whats happened his last two advances.

From their perspective, they just had their southern scouts completely overwhelmed with 2 infantry brigades we just had lying around to go on a search and destroy mission. If they planned on attacking the south and aren't ready to proceed right now they will probably reconsider and try another approach.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Very important note - that cavalry brigade in the Blob was moving when they sighted the 20th brigade. They might have just been moving up to the edge of the woods, but they were still in formation.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

20th BRIGADE STATUS:
12 of 22 (55%) - chits ready for action
04 of 22 (18%) - chits reorganizing, will take at least 3 turns to get them back into formation
06 of 22 (27%) - chits KIA

Brigade will receive a second fatigue marker tomorrow morning since we entered combat.

Still have not established contact with Division HQ - have heard they will be hooked up by T66.

The 20th would like to send our regards to BG mllaneza and the 21st for their fine work putting some steel in the Boche, and hope that we can return the favor in the future.

Loel posted:

Being lucky is even better than being good.

I think we'll be seeing increased caution, given whats happened his last two advances. Do we have a ball park of what their plane saw?

The Cavalry Div HQ heard it, so they probably flew over over Saucisson Vallee and spotted some of our backfield trenches going up. Here's probably a worst case view:

If they flew further south they would have seen our infantry marching on, but that's already outdated intel for a couple hundred dead German hussars.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Excellent work, lads, let's see if they're still on the other side of the middle river so we can use the wire and fords to punish their advance. Just watch out for artillery; how are we going to resolve the dilemma where our arty is out of range of theirs, with the PBI stuck in the middle?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Broadstrokes:

Artillery is entrenched in the vallee. Brigades at the bridges can call indirect fire as needed.
The southern division is moved forward to occupy trenches.
The new division is brought in the north, and used to occupy Effyanders.
Once in their locations, more trenches, wire, erections.

I want to begin building our main body in the center of the map, either to respond to enemy assaults, or began our own breakout on Stethoscope.

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 2, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Back at the Bois de Blob, there's now a whole cavalry brigade charging your infantry...

Uhhhhh, what's this? The Germans not only scouted the Blob, they camped out.

I like how German and British cavalry brigades camped in the same forest over night, and apparently never noticed each other. I hope one of our boys is riding a German horse he mounted by mistake.

So what we should do, is wait for the next infantry division and use the extra engineers to demolish the R1 and R3 Bridges.

Also, we should fix our infantry formations, because those blocks are a huge inefficient mess.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Loel posted:

Broadstrokes:

Artillery is entrenched in the vallee. Brigades at the bridges can call indirect fire as needed.
The southern division is moved forward to occupy trenches.
The new division is brought in the north, and used to occupy Effyanders.
Once in their locations, more trenches, wire, erections.

I want to begin building our main body in the center of the map, either to respond to enemy assaults, or began our own breakout on Stethoscope.

As discussed in Roll20, the 7th Cavalry Brigade will moving into the trenches in the SW SE corner of Effyaders to provide some coverage for the north and for the M4 fords.

Division HQ will also be moving into Effyaders to the trenches dug by the cav engineers.

ACs will stay put.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 24, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Also, we should fix our infantry formations, because those blocks are a huge inefficient mess.

The 6 company frontage was a compromise between having firepower if you run into an enemy, and not taking up too much width on the march. Or at least that's why i copied Effigy's formation. Neither of us are planning on staying in that formation, we've both got orders to deploy out of it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Dunno who made this map, but its a good one

Our line of sight is minimal on M3 and M7, so most dangerous enemy course of action would be an approach on those lanes.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah, the infantry formation was to keep the brigades compact enough to march side-by-side, as well as the expectation that we would be performing a bayonet charge and I wanted some ablative layers on approach. The final deployment into the trenches should spread us out for more efficient long-range fire.

:siren: FYI the current 30-inch command radius of ARF's/TBK's Infantry Division HQ...it may need to relocate if we send any of our brigades towards the north.

edit - of course, it's certainly possible to send brigades outside of direct Division command range, they'll just be a bit harder to reissue orders to.

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 24, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Terrifying Effigies posted:

:siren: FYI the current 30-inch command radius of ARF's/TBK's Infantry Division HQ...it may need to relocate if we send any of our brigades towards the north.

drat. The 21st goes out of command if we occupy those trenches. welp, that's exactly where we need infantry so i guess we bite the bullet.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

mllaneza posted:

drat. The 21st goes out of command if we occupy those trenches. welp, that's exactly where we need infantry so i guess we bite the bullet.

The Division Command Chit only just arrived, so it can move elsewhere. It hasn't even begun setting up where it is, so it can move forward into blob or go somewhere else entirely.

We came up with this position to cover all Brigade Command Chits, be 8" from the road, and be in cover.

:siren: TBK :siren: are you taking over this round? I haven't made any solid plans yet.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 24, 2017

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Right now, I am highly interested in putting a couple of chits in the Ferme Inutille. If they can stay in there, they'll be within the extended command radius and have vision on both roads. It would also give me a point to jump up with the eye of occupying the northern piece of the chemin creux during the night. If they see enemies, I will be in range to call for supporting artillery fire.

Trin: how does supporting fire work if all of the chits that can see enemies are killed before the shells start landing? Is it any different if the enemies are stationary in trenches, or is shooting at their last-known positions not permitted in that case?

Does the division commander need to be within 8" of a road, or is it different for hooking into the telephone lines? I sore of thought they needed to be right by the road.

Istvun fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 24, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Istvun posted:

Does the division commander need to be within 8" of a road, or is it different for hooking into the telephone lines? I sore of thought they needed to be right by the road.

The reason the division commander wants to be 8" from a road and entrenched is that those are the conditions required to use the telephone.

Brigade Commanders don't need to worry about this since they don't have any phones.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

AbortRetryFail posted:

The reason the division commander wants to be 8" from a road and entrenched is that those are the conditions required to use the telephone.

Brigade Commanders don't need to worry about this since they don't have any phones.

Brigade commanders get a penalty to change orders for being more than 8" from a road if they're outside the command radius, I think. If you can connect to the network from 8" away, good on you. I must have misremembered the distance.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bacarruda posted:

As discussed in Roll20, the 7th Cavalry Brigade will moving into the trenches in the SW corner of Effyaders to provide some coverage for the north and for the M4 fords.

Division HQ will also be moving into Effyaders to the trenches dug by the cav engineers.

ACs will stay put.

Sir, can I get confirmation on the location of the allied cavalry? Specifically with regard to east vs west?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Istvun posted:

Sir, can I get confirmation on the location of the allied cavalry? Specifically with regard to east vs west?

East vs west of what? The river?

We are not going to cross the river...

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Istvun posted:

Right now, I am highly interested in putting a couple of chits in the Ferme Inutille. If they can stay in there, they'll be within the extended command radius and have vision on both roads. It would also give me a point to jump up with the eye of occupying the northern piece of the chemin creux during the night. If they see enemies, I will be in range to call for supporting artillery fire.

Trin: how does supporting fire work if all of the chits that can see enemies are killed before the shells start landing? Is it any different if the enemies are stationary in trenches, or is shooting at their last-known positions not permitted in that case?

We don't have single chits capable of doing that which aren't invaluable, or hilariously immobile off-road.

Bacarruda posted:

East vs west of what? The river?

We are not going to cross the river...

I think he wants you to clarify whether you mean SW or SE Foret de Effyaders. At least, I would like that.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

We don't have single chits capable of doing that which aren't invaluable, or hilariously immobile off-road.

I think he wants you to clarify whether you mean SW or SE Foret de Effyaders. At least, I would like that.

SE. Sorry, my fingers slipped off the "E" key when I was typing earlier and I must have hit the wrong key by mistake. :(

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I was assuming that I would be occupying the trenches in the SE of the forest, and from there I would be able to send a couple infantry companies from my brigade into the field while leaving them within the extended command radius of my brigadier general.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Istvun posted:

As long as the supported brigade has established contact and spots enemies at any point during the turn, they will make the call and the guns will fire in the indirect fire phase.

vvv Delay in contact; once made the guns fire until the problem goes away, then contact has to be re-established to support against future attacks vvv

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 24, 2017

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Trin Tragula posted:

As long as the supported brigade has established contact and spots enemies at any point during the turn, they will make the call and the guns will fire in the indirect fire phase.

I was specifically wondering about the delay from being more than 8" away from the guns. Or is that just a delay in establishing contact?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can engineers be marked as a supported brigade?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Brigadier General T. Effigies, 20th Bde, 7th Div

*******************************************************************************************

Gen thatbastardken - I'm assuming previous Division orders still stand to clear and hold Bois de Blob and southern trenches.

Fatigue tokens: 1, will gain 2nd token at 0800 tomorrow

*******************************************************************************************

ORDERS FOR 20TH INFANTRY BRIGADE

Continue with previous orders (link) to clear Bois de Blob and the southeastern trenches, after which the brigade will take up positions in the J trenches. The brigade shall not delay its advance - companies reorganizing in the rear are ordered to catch up as they are able and join the main formation in the J trenches.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Brigadier General Istvun, 22nd Bde, 7th Div

:siren: I am assuming that the division command will be moved to the north of the bois de blob and that the trenches in the eastern edge of the foret de effyaders will be free for me to occupy. If this is not the case, I need to be informed immediately. :siren:

Additionally, I am sending scouts across M3 to scout German movement in the north and open up possibilities for a night crossing. if I am not authorized to send soldiers across the river, please let me know.

My men are to enter from the edge of the deployment area in their mushroom battle formation and proceed to the empty trenches in the Foret de Effyaders. we will be remaining inside the cover of the Foret de Effyaders once we enter it.

Standing orders while moving to occupy trenches:
When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Turn and move directly towards enemy
When attacking the enemy: Launch a bayonet charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Pursue the enemy
Break Off automatically when: 2/3 casualties.

The scouts will travel further than most other companies, crossing the M3 ford via the following path. They will enter the cover of the field as quickly as possible and remain inside cover while they reach their final destinations.

At this time, we are to occupy the trenches and the the donkey wallopers to shove off, before setting up. My understanding is that even though the two infantry companies will need to travel longer to reach their designated positions, they will be willing to walk further. The final positions of all companies will be:

All companies will remain within either the 8" or 16" command radius and the MG will be able to use its billy bonus to shoot at M2-M4. Additionally, the brigade command is within 8" of a road and should be within 30" of the expected location of divisional command.

If companies are unwilling to cross the middle river, they are to fill remaining empty trenches in the SE corner of Effyaders and, in the event of casualties, will be the first companies to fill holes in the defensive line. If this is the case, the following defensive positions are to be used.

Standing orders on defense:
When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Halt and move to Defense
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break Off automatically when: 3/4 casualties.

Trin: Is it legal to move companies a long distance and have some companies arrive at their intended destination significantly faster than others, as occurring here?

vv Fair enough. Even if the Lee-Enfield is the greatest rifle god or man has produced.

Istvun fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 25, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Minor note: Our infantry brigades are basically custom tailored for bayonet charges, so I think you shouldn't play the German game while you're advancing through the woods. Shoot from the trenches, gank people standing between you and the trenches.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Major-General Desmond de Vere Barrington, GCVO, DSO and Bar. General Officer Commanding 3rd Cavalry Division, British Expeditionary Force.

Division HQ Move to western trenches on the Effyaders Forest road. Connect wires. Break contact and get to safety if enemy infantry or cavalry get within firing range of DIV HQ's position.

my dad, move all or most of your force immediately to the SE corner of the Bois de Effyeaders and cover the M4 ford and the northern fords. Once the infantry arrives, take up positions in the Foret de Effyaders. Cover as many fords as possible and support the infantry using every weapon at your disposal if they are attacked.

sixkiller, hold position.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 25, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

:siren: Emergency 7th Division Orders :siren:

OBJECTIVE: Proceed with sweeping the unscouted forest and establish a line along the ford. We do not know for certain Effyaders is clear of Germans, and it has potential to be used by the enemy for engaging or allowing counter-battery against our artillery, particularly the Southwestern corner.
Division Command: Move to the following position and entrench, set up phone etc.:

Incoming Brigades

22nd Brigade: Move from the Easternmost deployment point along the North side directly East. Upon entering Foret de Effyaders, proceed Southward to ensure the forest is clear of enemies which may have moved in overnight. Once you have arrived at or close enough to the edge, head to the Eastern trenches in the forest. Position yourselves along the entire trench line. Currently you are not authorised to cross the ford under any circumstances.

Brigades currently on the field

20th Brigade: No new orders.

21st Brigade: No new orders.

Artillery Brigade: No new orders.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 25, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bacarruda posted:

my dad, move all or most of your force immediately to the SE corner of the Bois de Effyeaders and cover the M4 ford and the northern fords. Once the infantry arrives, return to the central trenches and defend there until you get further orders.

By that time, there will be infantry in the central trenches - best case ours, worst case enemy. I'll follow the order, but are you sure you want it phrased that way?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
General Loel: When is our scout plane arriving, and where will it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

By that time, there will be infantry in the central trenches - best case ours, worst case enemy. I'll follow the order, but are you sure you want it phrased that way?

What would be your preferred alternate course of action?

• Locked thread