Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
could someone break down what they did to nerf hollow infusions/luck scaling? i get the impression it's something to do with bleed, but i don't rely on bleed for my hollow build so I'm wondering if I'm still hooped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Has anything been said about where or at what recommended level The Ringed City takes place? IIRC Ashes of Ariandel had a recommendation of "reach Lothric Castle first" but could be accessed after just Vordt and Crystal Sage and I'm hoping this one is similar.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
New patch is really cool. I was pretty content with the build variety already in the game but the patch has significantly buffed both pure Faith caster builds and pure Strength heavy armor builds (and therefore everything in between as well) which I felt were by far the two weakest builds. Some other weaker weapons got nice QoL buffs as well, notably daggers, which are now easier to use (more base damage, less crit damage, meaning their regular swings are better and total damage on a crit remains unchanged).

Looking through the datamined DLC stuff, there is some crazy poo poo in here . Build variety is going to be off the chain and I'm already planning my new characters. A new (and endgame) PvP covenant is an excellent addition as well. I'm personally happiest about the addition of the Dragonslayer Armor as a wearable set, that always bugged the poo poo out of me. Looks like FROM has done it again.

Martian Manfucker posted:

could someone break down what they did to nerf hollow infusions/luck scaling? i get the impression it's something to do with bleed, but i don't rely on bleed for my hollow build so I'm wondering if I'm still hooped

They nerfed the base Bleed amount (the amount the weapon builds up per hit) on basically everything with Bleed on it. So it just means it'll take another hit or two to proc for your Hollow build.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
How did they buff faith builds? I was mulling going lightning/lothric greatsword on my next run.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Gerblyn posted:

How did they buff faith builds? I was mulling going lightning/lothric greatsword on my next run.

They improved the animation on several spells, including Lightning Stake, which is the best offensive faith spell already. Knocking someone on his rear end, then spamming 2-3 lightning stakes when they get up is great.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I take it sharp/heavy is actually useful now? I still love quality builds just because I love switching to all sorts of weapons, but with the new changes I might make some "pure" str or dex characters.

How did they buff faith? And did the buff to poison actually make a difference? What about frostbite? Frozen Weapon is the coolest spell (:haw:) but it always seemed kinda useless.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Maleh-Vor posted:

They improved the animation on several spells, including Lightning Stake, which is the best offensive faith spell already. Knocking someone on his rear end, then spamming 2-3 lightning stakes when they get up is great.

Nice, am looking forwards to it after I finish Nier

Your Computer posted:

How did they buff faith? And did the buff to poison actually make a difference? What about frostbite? Frozen Weapon is the coolest spell (:haw:) but it always seemed kinda useless.

I used Frost a lot in my last run and I'm not even sure what it actually does. It does some damage when it procs and then I think it's supposed to reduce defense, but I never really noticed my attacks doing more damage while it was active.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Frostbite supposedly reduces enemy stamina (or maybe stamina Regen?). Triggering it on a heavy weapons user could gently caress them up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Weeping Wound posted:

Whole shitload of spoilers came out today. This one's the big one for me.

A new invasion covenant, which gets a blessing of some sort upon summon, whose goal is apparently to keep you from finishing the DLC.

In fact, it's doubled-down by the fact that said invasion covenant gets special items for use online against folks trying to beat the drat thing. Yikes!

The bells! The bells! :v:

I'm ready for the end of the world again. :v:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Looked up info on new DLC items and there's a lot of rad poo poo in there. This might get me back into DS3 again (I mean, moreso than just playing through the new DLC).

We got a dual-wield greatshield again, gently caress yeah.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the strongest kind of Casting Magic / Weapon build? Is it Faith + Str?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Turtlicious posted:

Onyx blade pyro is a strong contender

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Sorc id imagine. Last patch at least the strongest poise weapon build was basically moonlight greatsword and tons of vit for armor. Might have changed since newest patch though.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just went through Ariandel DLC again and man...I really hate these bosses. The Gravetender is just aggravating; either he should have been a one-on-one dual that leads into a giant wolf interruption or he should have been a tougher foe with smaller wolves helping him, but having to kill all the little wolves, then him, then the giant bullshit wolf and he is such bullshit he just never stops attacking at low health, he just dashes and dashes and dashes

The DLC's main boss is just a goddamn marathon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I hate to ask this, but does anyone have a good summary of the patch notes? I'm really paranoid about reading this thread right now because I'm trying to avoid any sort of spoilers on the DLC.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Internet Kraken posted:

I hate to ask this, but does anyone have a good summary of the patch notes? I'm really paranoid about reading this thread right now because I'm trying to avoid any sort of spoilers on the DLC.

Here is a pretty full rundown which is spoiler free. It's a bit long to try to paste it here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/60mif2/the_patches_notes_march_24th_no_spoilers/

Basically:
added 2 maps to arena
buffed dagger damage but lowered crit modifier (same damage on actual criticals)
buffed UGS and curved great swords either with more damage, better animations, or less stamina consumption
buffed a bunch of specific weapons
nerfed a few meta weapons (smaller attack windows on Dark sword, gargoyle flame spear, follower sabre, etc)
buffed poison/toxic dealt by players
nerfed passive bleed on weapons but buffed bleed-infused weapons. nerfed carthus rouge
let you walk around more before some offensive miracles go off and improved the animations on some offensive miracles
improved defense and weight of heavy armor, making it an actual choice.
buffed Heavy and Sharp, and maybe nerfed refined.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
It's pretty cool the bonfire shows where all the players are but I already knew everyone just hangs out at pontiff.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Has anything been said about where or at what recommended level The Ringed City takes place? IIRC Ashes of Ariandel had a recommendation of "reach Lothric Castle first" but could be accessed after just Vordt and Crystal Sage and I'm hoping this one is similar.

No one knows for sure but Vaati said it's endgame after playing it. He said it's pretty hard.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Maleh-Vor posted:

Here is a pretty full rundown which is spoiler free. It's a bit long to try to paste it here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/60mif2/the_patches_notes_march_24th_no_spoilers/

Cool thanks

quote:

Improved motion of Crescent Moon Sword's skill, Crescent Blade.

Oh wow maybe now I can actually hit something with it.

EDIT: Oh wow the beams actually go where you are aiming now instead of arcing into the ground.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 25, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hanales posted:

No one knows for sure but Vaati said it's endgame after playing it. He said it's pretty hard.

Here's hoping they will still make it available for low level characters then. Half the fun of DLC areas is rushing there on a fresh character to pick up fun weapons and do gimmick runs.

At least I'll have plenty of DLC-ready characters when it releases though :v:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Well, let's put it like this: you can see the Ringed City from where you are at the Kiln of the First Flame! :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Weeping Wound posted:

Well, let's put it like this: you can see the Ringed City from where you are at the Kiln of the First Flame! :v:

I read that the entry point is right near the bonfire that warps you to the SoC boss leadup. So unfortunately there'll be no sequence breaking into the dlc.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

I read that the entry point is right near the bonfire that warps you to the SoC boss leadup. So unfortunately there'll be no sequence breaking into the dlc.

If this is true then I guess it's time to break out CE again :negative: Why would they do that.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Your Computer posted:

If this is true then I guess it's time to break out CE again :negative: Why would they do that.

Honestly? It might be the last piece of Dark Souls content we'll ever get. I'm glad it takes place at the very end, it's fitting. And it might lead to some big lore answers too.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elman posted:

Honestly? It might be the last piece of Dark Souls content we'll ever get. I'm glad it takes place at the very end, it's fitting. And it might lead to some big lore answers too.

I'm fine with it being endgame content though, I actually prefer that since you can go in with all the tools and levels you've gathered on your playthrough without steamrolling everything.

I just wish you could access it earlier. Dark Souls II's DLCs could be accessed way before you were "intended" to do them, same with Ashes of Ariandel. It lets you go there, run like hell and grab some loot even if everything one-shots you. Opens up for so many fun and interesting runs! I don't mind using CE to get the items (since I don't care much for online), but I prefer if I can do it legitimately like in previous DLCs.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

It's not like they force you into ng+ friendo. Always keep a character at the end of ng for the DLC.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genocyber posted:

It's not like they force you into ng+ friendo. Always keep a character at the end of ng for the DLC.

That has nothing to do with his point though. He wants to be able to rush to the DLC relatively early so he can play with all the cool new weapons in the main game too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah that's a fair complaint. Bloodborne's the only one of the games I've played multiple times, but it was really fun to dash through the DLC on my latest playthrough and grab weapons I wanted to use after only fighting 3 bosses.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

That has nothing to do with his point though. He wants to be able to rush to the DLC relatively early so he can play with all the cool new weapons in the main game too.

They hadn't clarified that at the time I made my post.

It's a little disappointing I guess, but not all that big of a deal imo. The base game already has good-enough gear variety, and it's a fairly linear game already so slotting it in at the end makes a little more sense.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So the PS4 Pro patch unlocked the framerate so now it'll hover around 40-45 FPS...ideally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrR3ak6dMwM

From why would you do this. Just make it locked 30 FPS.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
It's cool that they buffed poison/toxic. I just wish there was a toxic inflicting weapon to mess around with.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Obligatum VII posted:

It's cool that they buffed poison/toxic. I just wish there was a toxic inflicting weapon to mess around with.

Yeah, I was thinking of making a gimmick build utilising that before I realised that there aren't any toxic weapons :saddowns:

I'm guessing infusing a weapon with poison is still fairly worthless in PvE due to lower damage/scaling unless you only use it to apply poison and keep a "real" weapon handy for damage?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Pretty much everything from the DLC has leaked by the way. So be careful where you browse if you don't want spoilers.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Lol, so I have an SSD and Dark Souls wants me to have 60gb for it to update. 20gb from the install, 20gb from the "download" and another 20gb for god knows what else.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah that's a fair complaint. Bloodborne's the only one of the games I've played multiple times, but it was really fun to dash through the DLC on my latest playthrough and grab weapons I wanted to use after only fighting 3 bosses.

Church Pick still remains one of the worst sticking points of the DLC for me. Such a good weapon and gated behind Ludwig, a key, and a dipshit hunter. :argh:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Weeping Wound posted:

Church Pick still remains one of the worst sticking points of the DLC for me. Such a good weapon and gated behind Ludwig, a key, and a dipshit hunter. :argh:

That hunter has punked me more times than I care to admit. You know why? Cause he has the best weapon in the game! Motherfucking Church Pick demands blood.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Can anyone tell me what the hell the thread title is referencing? It's been driving me crazy.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I know it involves Father Ariandel, last boss of the first DLC but I don't know about the rest.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe it took me this long to realize, but VIG gets you a lot of HP. Like holy poo poo a lot. With the amount of Estus the game throws at you, facetanking and chugging estus seems to be a real strategy in this game. I never invested much into it because I felt like everything killed me so quickly anyway, and I just got used to "DS3 is the one where you die if you get hit" I put a couple of hundred hours into this game and over a dozen characters before noticing this! :cripes:

From now on I don't think I'll make another character without 25+ VIG, this feels like easy mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
27 VIG every time, friend.