Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Probably for the same reasons we love you, Jerrykins.

e: whoops, first page

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Mar 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Hedrigall posted:

Ooh, I'm watching 30 Rock through for the third time (getting my bf into it this time), what podcast are you listening to? :3:

Rewatching a show I love with an episode-by-episode podcast is my new favourite thing (see also: Kumail Nanjiani's The X-Files Files, Joshua Malina's West Wing Weekly)

Talk 30 (Rock) to Me. Their site doesn't seem to have been updated since the third episode, but any app should have all the episodes. It's filling the hole that Beyond Yacht Rock has left now that they're slowing down for a while, which filled the hole that Go Bayside left.

It's basically two chicks gushing about how hilarious 30 Rock is. One of the latest episodes I listened to had a friend who actually worked as an NBC page.

Took me a minute to figure out that thing on her right (camera-left) wrist is her thumb.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

mojo1701a posted:

Talk 30 (Rock) to Me. Their site doesn't seem to have been updated since the third episode, but any app should have all the episodes. It's filling the hole that Beyond Yacht Rock has left now that they're slowing down for a while, which filled the hole that Go Bayside left.

It's basically two chicks gushing about how hilarious 30 Rock is. One of the latest episodes I listened to had a friend who actually worked as an NBC page.

Took me a minute to figure out that thing on her right (camera-left) wrist is her thumb.

Oh, god, I didn't notice until you pointed it out. It look like a sore.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Guy Goodbody posted:

Because teddy is short for theodore. The teddy bears were named after him, after a famous incident in which he refused to shoot a chained bear

Thanks Wikipedia, beep boop what is this concept you call jokes

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Teddy Roosevelt was the most balls-out human being alive. I'd like to produce a TV show where he is resurrected and hunts Ted Nugent.

He would fit right in with the Sleepy Hollow TV series. The founding fathers were occultists, they built a computer that interacts with users through a holographic projection of Thomas Jefferson, George Washington became a zombie, Betsy Ross was Jane Bond, and the Donner party became cannibals because of a Chinese demon and discovering its vulnerability to gold was how the Gold Rush started.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The MSJ posted:

He would fit right in with the Sleepy Hollow TV series. The founding fathers were occultists, they built a computer that interacts with users through a holographic projection of Thomas Jefferson, George Washington became a zombie, Betsy Ross was Jane Bond, and the Donner party became cannibals because of a Chinese demon and discovering its vulnerability to gold was how the Gold Rush started.

Oooh, I would watch this. Thank you!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

The dumbest poo poo is when people give themselves a special title for "I only want to have sex with people I'm attracted to."

Oh so you mean LIKE EVERYONE?!

no that's impossible? that would mean that i am not special and superior in my tastes?? and everyone else in the world who has more sex than me is not just a huge slut who literally has sex with everyone they meet?????

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Oooh, I would watch this. Thank you!

Only watch the first season, it gets bad after that.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Did she lose a bet or something? wtf

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

My favourite part is the off centre tattoo

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

cash crab posted:

It wasn't always off centre though, she once had a classy tramp stamp.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
They look like someone that would take the word 'Cummies' very seriously.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What exactly is this person trying to prove

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

goose willis posted:

What exactly is this person trying to prove

uniqueness

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
That they're special and resented for that, instead of their awful personality. By being deliberately abrasive and driving everyone away by being obnoxiously quirky. Deliberately failing at social interaction so that they can claim they opted out or were treated unfairly so that they don't have to confront their own flaws.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

A lovely Reporter posted:

That they're special and resented for that, instead of their awful personality. By being deliberately abrasive and driving everyone away by being obnoxiously quirky. Deliberately failing at social interaction so that they can claim they opted out or were treated unfairly so that they don't have to confront their own flaws.

How did you gain access to my life plan journal??

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

8/

why

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

There is a god, and he doesn't like us.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

cash crab posted:

It's trying to escape.

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

There is a god, and he doesn't like us.

That critter was a gift for the horror fans.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Nah, that's just a Bigfin Squid. They're not about to start any trouble.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

A lovely Reporter posted:

I have to say, you really aren't living up to your username with posts like this

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Shows like My 600lb life make me wonder about how hugely obese people in other countries are treated. Because as much as people talk about HAES and fat acceptance movements in the US, the reality is being fat doesn't carry any less of a negative stigma just because there are more fat Americans. Shows like this aren't that different from seeing the fat lady in a carnival sideshow, the only difference being that the lady has gotten bigger over over the years.

In other countries, with obesity being much rarer, it makes me wonder how the populace treats their own few fat people. Do they treat them worse, because the fat person stands out so much more? Or do they have more sympathy, because they live in a country better suited for helping people maintain a healthy weight?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
We don't have that many fat people here in Sweden, at least not that fat. I didn't even see my first panniculus 'til a year ago.

I think it's a combination of different factors. Better access to cheap healthy foodstuffs, a more generally positive approach to exercise, no real "food desert" landscapes, and such. As for how fat people are treated, I'm not sure. It depends on the age (teenagers are terrible people wherever you go) and the level of education, but overall I think fat people are given many opportunities by society for them to better themselves (diet programs, exercise, and so on), but that the choice is theirs.

The Public Health Agency of Sweden works to ensure the good health of its population, and that includes making people eat more healthily and exercising more.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I didn't even see my first panniculus 'til a year ago.

How many have you got now?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Panniculi within panniculi, friend.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Panfilo posted:

Shows like My 600lb life make me wonder about how hugely obese people in other countries are treated. Because as much as people talk about HAES and fat acceptance movements in the US, the reality is being fat doesn't carry any less of a negative stigma just because there are more fat Americans. Shows like this aren't that different from seeing the fat lady in a carnival sideshow, the only difference being that the lady has gotten bigger over over the years.

In other countries, with obesity being much rarer, it makes me wonder how the populace treats their own few fat people. Do they treat them worse, because the fat person stands out so much more? Or do they have more sympathy, because they live in a country better suited for helping people maintain a healthy weight?

Used as fuel would be my guess for most of the world.

My 400lb coworker went to Vietnam(yes sex tourist) was mercilessly made fun of on the streets by people running up to him to rub his belly and say Buddha. He spent a month with another coworker (Vietnamese himself) there walking, eating pho and I guess loving. Managed to lose 50lbs not having access to american fast food.

He gained it all back pretty quickly.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

purple death ray posted:

I have to say, you really aren't living up to your username with posts like this
:3:

Hedrigall posted:

How did you gain access to my life plan journal??

I spent most of my childhood following it. I got better though. :unsmith:

A Shitty Reporter has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Mar 25, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Panniculi pannicula
'Ncoppa, jamme jà, panniculi pannicula

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Panfilo posted:

The Middle East actually has the fattest population outside of small Pacific islands. Having lived there, I can 100% vouch for that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

hyperhazard posted:

The Middle East actually has the fattest population outside of small Pacific islands. Having lived there, I can 100% vouch for that.

Really, I'm surprised. How is obesity treated there culturally? That's the main thing I'm curious about with these other counties, how they see obesity among their own culture.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

hyperhazard posted:

It's because they never have to worry about bikini season.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm the sweet xbox collection

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

After the photos of the two patients with several lymphedema and cellulitis I watched both 600-lb Life episodes they were from. Both suffered from abusive and traumatic childhoods, but the difference was night and day. Tracy was amazing, she recognized the damage done and was willing to take ownership of her life and health (I don't think she even needed the bariatric surgery because the bulk was all lymphedema, she had to get healthy enough to survive multiple surgeries to remove them) and stop being codependent on people.

But James? The biggest AUG was his attitude and denial. He spent the entire episode making excuses, wailing every time he was moved (I get that it's painful, but he clearly didn't trust the EMTs), berating and emotionally abusing his enabling girlfriend, and ended up *heavier* by the end of the episode. To top it off his father refinanced his home to finance the trip and his daughter was 1000% done. This guy managed to gain more weight even after hospital stays where his eating was regulated (he'd lose 50-ish lbs, get out and gain it back) and went into cardiac arrest in the middle of everything. Dr. Now essentially fired the patient.

Now I'm watching another episode where it's clear the couple are Juggalos, an old AUG standard, but again the real ugliness is the abuse that led the subject to food (and ICP) to begin with. :smith:

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Ah yes, he grew up to become 15 instead of a scientist, an astronaut, or the president. Point well made?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

MageMage posted:

Ah yes, he grew up to become 15 instead of a scientist, an astronaut, or the president. Point well made?

It would be funnier if the 2nd panel was the same except for 35 years later.

• Locked thread