Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Yeah, 67/68 Inf should absolutely not be marching off to the Vallee at this point. Other than that, I think we're probably not going to get a better chance to attack the FDE, so tally ho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

also as far as the lack of shooting at the presumably spotted infantry up north, that might be an argument to redirect even more of the barrage against the se corner of the forest where people will be shooting at me from

also people who understand the 'move at half speed and you get to shoot your rifles' rule - does that mean that if I specify half movement for my brigade after they're across the ford, I get a round of rifle fire against any spotted enemies on my turn or turns stuck in the open on my way to the forest? edit if I'm within 8" of them anyway

it could backfire if it turns out they need two turns of 12" of movement to get​ from the ford to the first, though, and maybe it's not worth the chance to fire back if there's the possibility that it pushes my arrival in the fde back by even one turn

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 24, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
You can't tell them to only use half their movement though ? I guess if you finaggle their end position ?

I'll try to update my orders to take into account the wire, but it probably won't change much. Maybe try to head further north and swoop down on the S-E corner ?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Alright my heart's not in it. I'll tell my southern two guys to halt on the eastern side of the river in MG range of the fords and my northern two guys to keep on keeping on. I'll wait two or three hours to see if Fles or anyone else want me to do something other than that and then put out the official orders so the brigadiers can take care of business.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 24, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Fathis Munk posted:

You can't tell them to only use half their movement though ? I guess if you finaggle their end position ?

I'll try to update my orders to take into account the wire, but it probably won't change much. Maybe try to head further north and swoop down on the S-E corner ?

I'm pretty sure trin has specified that you can tell people to do that particular thing - but I couldn't for example say ' advance 5.33333333..." for three turns' if I wanted them to go 16", I'd just have to say 'at half speed, advance to this spot' and they'd probably get there early and waste a fraction of time. I think that's the purpose of the must move all the way rule. however I am not sure

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

A company must move its full movement unless it is spotting an enemy; the moment it spots an enemy, and not before, it can choose to drop to half speed so it can use rifle fire, and usually does.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ah. good to know. as usual this has the effect of giving me less tiny optimizations to pretend to understand so that's good. of course it makes it harder to avoid tripping over someone too late in the turn and getting hosed, but this as they say is by design

I guess I'll consider whether I want to have my guys on standing orders to use rifle fire instead of charging, with the one exception being the turn where they hit the forest edge. given how limited visibility will be in the forest I could see giving them the chance to stop and shoot being a good idea

i don't think charges are all bad, though. I think the undoing of mossys brigade was the orders to head toward any enemy they saw, as opposed to the actual charge. they might have gotten to charge in an ambush. anyway I'm well past overthinking it at this point

also I can't help but notice we've got the same number of pages as the other guys thread now. probably that's largely because I'm spamming it with bullshit but at least this doesn't seem to be the 'heavy activity over there, crickets over here' situation that seemed to be implied at the start of the round

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 24, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

So a fun thing to do would be to estimate how far into BdB those two infantry brigades can move and drop some artillery fire on that location if we don't have any better targets. They have to either sit still or make full moves and with 2 brigades there's not a lot of space in the forest that won't be occupied by some unlucky tommy so I like our chances.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I would expect one of them to take up position in the trenches we now occupy, at least temporarily. Depending on what the cavalry brigade is ordered to do, those may be the most fruitful target in the Blob area.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I would expect one of them to take up position in the trenches we now occupy, at least temporarily. Depending on what the cavalry brigade is ordered to do, those may be the most fruitful target in the Blob area.

Also an excellent idea.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Movement orders

Immediately go into attack stance and move north east following the river and away from Bois de Blob but staying away from any wire. Proceed to the end of the black arrow labelled number 1. If the brigade reaches the end of the black arrow before turn 58 then hold position at the end of the black arrow. On or after turn 58 move along the red arrow at full speed and enter the woods of Foret de Effyaders moving in as far as possible as per the red arrow labelled number 2.

Upon successful completion of movement and taking of FdE then position the cavalry as follows in FdE:

At all times when moving use the following battle formation:

Standing orders for Turn 57:

If enemy is spotted while moving: Ignore them and continue movement orders

Standing orders for Turn 58 and onwards:

If enemy is spotted in Bois de Blob: Ignore them and continue with movement orders
If enemy is spotted in Foret de Effyaders: Turn to face enemy and move directly towards them
When attacking the enemy: Launch cavalry charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Pursue the enemy
Break Off automatically when: 3/4 casualties are taken

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 24, 2017

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
You wrote north west instead of north east btw

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

mossyfisk posted:

You wrote north west instead of north east btw

Ah thanks, got it fixed now.

Also I put these up as it was generally what was being discussed last night and i will likely be off before the real planning gets done and so need to get orders in now or I'll not get any in.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
On mobile, but iirc I can only hit the northern border of BdB from my current artillery position.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Can MG shoot through 2 rifle companies? I thought it was only one.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I feel like it would be a very bad idea to have 4bde set to ignore spotted enemies.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Flesnolk posted:

I feel like it would be a very bad idea to have 4bde set to ignore spotted enemies.

in the turn 57 conditional he's just making sure they don't just see the BEF chitstorm and go 'standing orders say move toward them', i think

after that, he leaves a conditional saying to ignore anybody in the blob - again, avoiding having them turn around mid-charge - but to not ignore anybody once he gets to the fde

i believe he was talking it through with trin in the roll20, too, which should make the interpretation at least slightly less uncertain than is normal in this game

it's possible there could be some ambiguity about forces coming east from the saucisson, but i'm not sure how to address that in a simple conditional that doesn't just make the whole thing annoying for trin

edit edit: i made a pedantic point that i decided was too pedantic. i think the standing orders for turn 58 are really conditionals but it would probably break up the flow of the orders to have them in their own section so it's probably easier to read this way

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 25, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

:siren: Orders, Saxon Infantry Division :siren:

Division HQ is to set up in Stethoscope.

89bde (Fathis Munk)
89bde is to proceed with its attack as ordered.

86bde (Added Space)
86bde is to proceed with its attack as ordered.

87bde (Capfalcon)
87 bde is to advance to a position just south of the road to Saucisson Vallee to the east and within MG range of ford G and take up defensive position there.

88bde (Ikasuhito)
88 bde is to advance to a position just north of the road to Saucisson Vallee to the east and within MG range of ford G and take up defensive position there.

Divisional Library

Click the link below for a post with orders that Trin liked a lot, so if you get stuck you can use that as a rough guide on what needs to be in there: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809300&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post469398076

Click the link below for a compilation by Jaguars! of important rules posts:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809300&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=38#post470531365

Click the link below for a pic of the command-approved infantry fighting formation:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809300&pagenumber=38#post470554394

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

^ i hope we get to see what prepared mortars can do to an enemy attempting to cross a ford

i keep switching between first, second, and third person in these orders. sorry for ruining your immersion

(i do want to point out that none of those is itself an oyster toadfish, which has been to space:)

(anyway)

REITET ODER STERBT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VpoqSVFONY

Orders beginning Turn 57:

PHASE 1: from the Taillis Douche to the Foret de Effyaders.

:siren: CHARGE! :siren: (Figure 1)

On the other side of the ford, our forces have spotted barbed wire - but we have also spotted a path between the wire and the river, heading north, which can be traversed one company at a time (or if you find out you can fit a few more in, great, but don't get in the barbed wire! I shouldn't have to tell you that!)

Figure 1

I suggest the following course of action:

Turn 1: Assemble on the road, as close to the ford as you can.
Turn 2: Cross the ford with road movement. Use the remainder of your movement to move north off the road, between the wire and the river, avoiding the wire. If you exit the single-file gap before the end of the turn, head directly for the forest.
Turn 3:As soon as the single-file gap between the wire and river is cleared, move directly toward the forest, initiating awesome cavalry combat when you arrive.

MG, AH, and HQ follow the cavalry into the forest at a sensible distance as they clear it of enemies.

(If all of our cavalry die in the charge, support units are to continue advancing in support behind other regiments' cavalry/infantry in the forest if such chits are spotted, and to retreat to the Taillis Douche if not.)

Of course, it is understood that events beyond our control may delay the charge. Move as fast as you can. Upon reaching the forest, consult Phase 2 of these orders.

Battle Formation for Phase 1 in Figure 2 - although it'll be every chit for himself (chits are boys) west of the ford, so i doubt this comes into much use.

Figure 2

STANDING ORDERS BEFORE THE FORET DE EFFYADERS IS REACHED:
When sighting an enemy 12" or less away on Attack stance: Continue toward the Foret de Effyaders - if the enemy is sighted in the Foret, continue toward him!
When attacking the enemy: Launch a Bayonet Charge / Cavalry Charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Continue toward the Foret de Effyaders - if the combat happened in the Foret, consult Phase 2 of these orders.
Break Off automatically when: Fight to the last man

PHASE 2: In the Foret de Effyaders.

Once resistance in the southeast corner has been quelled, move along the arrow and adopt the formation on the western edge of the forest shown in Figure 3, or as closely as the movements of our allies to either side permit. The 'wide' formation in Figure 4 should be followed if enemies are in the forest.

If you spot an enemy in the forest, charge him - don't charge anybody you spot outside the forest. Once you've beaten them do not pursue, instead resuming movement toward the positions in Figure 3.

Figure 3

Figure 4

Upon reaching the positions shown in Figure 3, remain in Attack stance and switch to using Rifle fire against enemies. AH and MG are to station themselves in positions with good lines of fire - the AH is to put the northern road intersection of the saucisson under its range, so long as it can do so staying just inside the edge of the forest where it's in cover but can still fire on open territory.

Standing Orders for the rest of the turn:
When sighting an enemy 12" or less away on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy: Launch a Bayonet Charge / Cavalry Charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break Off automatically when: 3/4 casualties are taken

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Since we can't do things like flank or move cautiously, I guess my orders stand.

How long is the arty barrage? We wouldn't want to move too close while it's still going on.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

as of now i think it's 2 turns. i don't think we're really at risk of making it there that quick, with the wire and the possibility of getting shot at

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

OK so infantry who are getting ordered into the FdE - where do you plan on being at the end of your motion? i could amend my orders to pull back into a reserve position if/when infantry comes to relieve me, for example, that would seem like a logical allocation of resources

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'd like the bombardment to increase to 4 turns, as said in the roll20.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Aren't we going to bomb our dudes ?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
No they'll take more than two turns to get to their positions.

...3?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Some friendly fire is a small price to pay for victory.

aphid_licker posted:

88bde (Ikasuhito)
88 bde is to advance to a position just north of the road to Saucisson Vallee to the east and within MG range of ford G and take up defensive position there.

Very well.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
That seems pretty far out of your way since you guys are crossing the southern bridge, but all right.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

oystertoadfish posted:

OK so infantry who are getting ordered into the FdE - where do you plan on being at the end of your motion? i could amend my orders to pull back into a reserve position if/when infantry comes to relieve me, for example, that would seem like a logical allocation of resources

I'm currently ending my movement somewhere in the middle, in the unlikely event that I don't stop to shoot someone.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ok, i guess i'll leave the positioning alone then. let the good times roll

ford g and the southern bridge are pretty close to each other, probably more than half of a brigade targeting one will be able to hit the other too anyway

the wire on the bridge will hopefully slow em down if they go that way, which they'd have to know about the bridge right now to order, so ford g seems like the place to defend

i sorta wish we had more brigades in the assault but w/e

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 25, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Quoting and changing slightly for clarity

Added Space posted:

86th Saxon Infantry Green Brigade Official Orders

Proceed to the second-most northerly ford. Cross it and strike into the heart of the forest.

Conditional Orders

If I spot an allied unit under attack, move to support them.
When you have no movement orders, jump into safe trenches.
Attempt to link flanks and move in a neat line with nearby infantry

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, Turn and move directly towards enemy
When attacking the enemy, Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, Do not pursue
Break off automatically at 2/3 casualties

Added Space fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 25, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

edit: looks good

hmm, should i have cav poking out into the 4" zone outside the depression, if i get forces to the end of my current orders? billy-bonus it, have an AH next to it so it can shoot at the spotted units. i don't think there's any part of the foret de effyaders that's within the 4" zone, so it'd have to involve putting the cav chit in spottable position. just something to think about a bit tomorrow morning i guess

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 25, 2017

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

For some reason I though I had another day so nothing too fancy.

Brigade is to move West to position roughly shown here and take up a defensive position.

To be a bit more exact Brigade should be just close enough that the MG closest to BC can fire on bridge G.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

aphid_licker posted:

89bde (Fathis Munk)
89bde is to proceed with its attack as ordered.

Jawohl mein General.

1. Enter the Area in the Chemin Creux in battle formation and follow it until the crossroads.

2. Leave the Chemin Creux and occupy Ferme Inutile. Remain in the farm at all times at this stage.

Wait until 1200 if you reach the farm after 1200, immediately proceed with step 3.

3. At 1200 (turn 57) change to Attack Stance, cross ford B to avoid the wire and move into the Foret d'Effyaders.

4. If no resistance is encountered, advance to the western edge and assume defensive stance.

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, Turn and move directly towards enemy
When attacking the enemy,use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, pursue the enemy
Break off automatically at 3/4 casualties

Battle Formation

Attempt to maintain Battle Formation :

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 25, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

oystertoadfish posted:

(i do want to point out that none of those is itself an oyster toadfish, which has been to space:)

MY ARTISTIC VISION required breaking it up into its constituent animals

Also it's more orderly, which is German as gently caress.

e: it's really funny if you look at the picture you posted how appropriate and also lazy that name is

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 25, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I changed the orders a little to try and avoid the wire, which might also give a bit more time for shelling nerds.

However the crossing is happening during the next turn so chances are my dudes will still cross at C...

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Just to be clear, farms provide no cover and exist solely as a barbed wire source.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Oh. Well I guess I should just have stuck to the northern road then :v:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

mossyfisk posted:

Just to be clear, farms provide no cover and exist solely as a barbed wire source.

trin posted:

A company is in Cover when it is stationary in a Farm

Did that get changed?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Haha, my bad! I can't believe I missed that this whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Would someone pretty please put up artillery orders? Thank you. I'd put up emergency orders but I have to go to a wedding.

• Locked thread