Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I can't bring myself to play this until the new expansion :( Too many QoL improvements that I'm just going to be annoyed by not having them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah, I was resenting having to manually send diplomats the other day, and I haven't even gotten to use the new macrobuilder yet. That feature is gonna be loving transcendent for ease of playing the game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the diplomat thing is neat. but the Who Wants to Be Allies thing is gonna blow me away

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I would like a "just win this war for me please" button that automates your armies if you outnumber your enemies by a factor of ten or more

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

skasion posted:

Expanded Native Tribes II does this. It's surprisingly bad for performance on my machine though, it really noticeably slows down a 1444 start. Not sure if there's some special reason or if it's just struggling with the extra load. It's decent though.

I don't like some of the decisions he makes with that mod, namely the Iroquois Confederacy being split into its component parts with no events or missions to push the Confederacy into forming. This leaves all of the tribes to migrate all over the place and never be strong enough to subjugate any of the others.

Combined with the fact that the Confederacy almost certainly existed at the start of the game it's a decision that doesn't make sense. I'm Mohawk so it bothers me more than it should.

My dream mod would be one that fills the Americas with tribes like it should be at the start, then after European contact diseases sweep eastward with a chance of entirely depopulating provinces, greatly reducing development, wiping out entire tribes (disabled for the player), etc. Maybe have certain actions the player can take to reduce effects of disease. Then the post-apocalyptic migration thing can occur, with potentially completely different tribal populations each game, potentially much weaker or stronger than OTL.

Really I wish that's what Paradox did in the first place, considering how big of an effect disease had on the Americas and how it isn't modeled at all in-game. I mean there was a city located where St Louis is now that had a bigger population than London during the same time period. Enough people died that one of the accepted theories about the cause of the Little Ice Age was the reforestation that happened after an entire continent worth of people died. You could even add events on other continents regarding famines from global cooling leading to increased revolt risk a set number of years after all of the natives die out.

Maybe in EU5.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I would like a "just win this war for me please" button that automates your armies if you outnumber your enemies by a factor of ten or more

automated neighbor suppression

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

I usually approximate this in the end game by letting my subjects fight all my wars but it would be nice to just hand your armies to the AI if you were fighting over a really massive area and just didn't want to micro the whole thing

hell you can kind of do this in hearts of iron 4

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Really I wish that's what Paradox did in the first place, considering how big of an effect disease had on the Americas and how it isn't modeled at all in-game. I mean there was a city located where St Louis is now that had a bigger population than London during the same time period. Enough people died that one of the accepted theories about the cause of the Little Ice Age was the reforestation that happened after an entire continent worth of people died. You could even add events on other continents regarding famines from global cooling leading to increased revolt risk a set number of years after all of the natives die out.
I've read a few generalized books on this kind of topic but never heard of that theory - are you saying that the theory is that so many people died that more trees started to grow where there was once fields of crops, that enough carbon was pulled out of the atmosphere that the planet cooled off enough to cause the Little Ice Age? Also I guess if that many people died, there are that many fewer fires releasing carbon and whatnot.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've read a few generalized books on this kind of topic but never heard of that theory - are you saying that the theory is that so many people died that more trees started to grow where there was once fields of crops, that enough carbon was pulled out of the atmosphere that the planet cooled off enough to cause the Little Ice Age? Also I guess if that many people died, there are that many fewer fires releasing carbon and whatnot.

Pretty much, yes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age#Decreased_human_populations

Hilariously, the very next theory is "Increased Human Population"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age#Increased_human_populations

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah, contrary to the pop culture view of Native Americans all being nature loving hippies they did a lot of controlled burning to clear land for agriculture. I love reading the accounts of settlers being all "It's like God made this land for us, there are already crops growing in rows!"

If the theory is correct, then you have an interesting situation where all of the Native Americans dying caused the famines that led to the unrest that erupted into the French Revolution. That plus French debt from helping the Americans during their revolution means that America is doubly to blame for Napoleon.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My dream mod would be one that fills the Americas with tribes like it should be at the start, then after European contact diseases sweep eastward with a chance of entirely depopulating provinces, greatly reducing development, wiping out entire tribes (disabled for the player), etc. Maybe have certain actions the player can take to reduce effects of disease. Then the post-apocalyptic migration thing can occur, with potentially completely different tribal populations each game, potentially much weaker or stronger than OTL.

Maybe in EU5.

This has bothered me as well; there's a nod toward influenza effecting random ports and colonies but disease had such a profound impact on the Americas that it's weird how it's almost not treated at all. I hadn't heard about the theory that this led to the Little Ice Age, that's pretty interesting!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They do have smallpox events for native american tribes, as well as the societal collapse events, but they're not particularly harsh and they don't do much with them.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Finished my latest Ironman Austria run. Reformation was really severe, so I only managed to revoke the Privilegia around 1740. Managed to eat all of France, Scandinavia, Egypt, Turkey, Palestine and half of Russia. Would have devoured Spain and possibly the UK as well, except...

I never had as many regencies in a game. I always had 5+ marriages going and the +50% Chance of Heir idea, but my heirs always took their sweet time in popping up, then died in drove. My first Empress had three heirs die in a row, then I got the event that gives you a bastard with a weak claim and took it, and then she croaked. Having a regency -starting- from 20 Legitimacy is not fun, I tell you; felt like Ming when Mandate of Heaven is gone, with massive rebellions everywhere. I must have spent some 40+ years of the game waiting for babies to come of age!

Might try a New World run now. Any suggestions for a good starting country there?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They do have smallpox events for native american tribes, as well as the societal collapse events, but they're not particularly harsh and they don't do much with them.

Yeah that was my experience as Aztecs; you get an event but the consequences are... inconsequential

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I don't like some of the decisions he makes with that mod, namely the Iroquois Confederacy being split into its component parts with no events or missions to push the Confederacy into forming. This leaves all of the tribes to migrate all over the place and never be strong enough to subjugate any of the others.

Combined with the fact that the Confederacy almost certainly existed at the start of the game it's a decision that doesn't make sense. I'm Mohawk so it bothers me more than it should.

Maybe in EU5.

This would be really, really nice. The long standing dev position on this though is that they haven't managed to design a system that makes societal collapse as seen in the Americas fun to play. Given how they haven't managed to find a way to make periods of political decline fun either, an arguably easier problem, I think I have to agree with that position, despite how ridiculous it makes the Americas.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I think the biggest quality of life improvement a patch or an expansion could bring me would be an auto carpet siege. There's already one for blockades. I'd love one that spread out my armies to cover as much land as possible, bringing enough regiments for a siege, and then consolidating when its over. I absolutely loving hate doing that when conquering the colonized New World.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I'm declaring war on my coalition, on the declare war screen the coalition members are listed with the greyed out but checked checkbox (will be considered cobelligerent but can't call in allies) however once the war starts, they're not cobelligerents. I understand I can't make separate peaces with them, but it sucks that their provinces will cost double warscore. Is this working as designed? Even if I declare on a coalition member's ally, and specifically cobelligerent them- e.g., I don't have a truce w/ Netherlands, who is in the coalition against me. I declare war on Sweden, who is allied with Netherlands, and I explicitly declare Netherlands a cobelligerent. The entire coalition is instantly pulled in, but Netherlands isn't a cobelligerent, due to being in the coalition, despite there being no truce between us and they should be a cobelligerent either way. What's going on here?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Coalitions are pretty much designed to be a major gently caress You to large expanding nations. I'm not sure I can offer any help beyond that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

The game really is in desperate need of some kind of military automation. Trying to wage a global war is impossible when you need to directly control every single army and you can only pay attention to one small region at a time. 1600 is basically my end date.

All I really want is a "controlled by AI" checkbox for armies. I don't care if they do stupid poo poo sometimes, I just don't want to have to control them all myself.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Azuren posted:

I'm declaring war on my coalition, on the declare war screen the coalition members are listed with the greyed out but checked checkbox (will be considered cobelligerent but can't call in allies) however once the war starts, they're not cobelligerents. I understand I can't make separate peaces with them, but it sucks that their provinces will cost double warscore. Is this working as designed? Even if I declare on a coalition member's ally, and specifically cobelligerent them- e.g., I don't have a truce w/ Netherlands, who is in the coalition against me. I declare war on Sweden, who is allied with Netherlands, and I explicitly declare Netherlands a cobelligerent. The entire coalition is instantly pulled in, but Netherlands isn't a cobelligerent, due to being in the coalition, despite there being no truce between us and they should be a cobelligerent either way. What's going on here?

So you declared on Sweden and marked Netherlands as co-belligerent, but then they weren't marked as co-belligerent once the war began? Can you post a screenshot?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

That might be a bit much, but I'd love if you could set a few units to automatically defend your land against enemy sieges just like you can with rebels. Things got really annoying now that forts are very inefficient and the AI learned how to carpet siege.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Currently you can send fleets on missions to automatically hunt enemy fleets or blockade ports. A similar mechanic could be added to armies.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

So you declared on Sweden and marked Netherlands as co-belligerent, but then they weren't marked as co-belligerent once the war began? Can you post a screenshot?

I'll post a screenshot when I get home from work tonight. Double checked it wasn't just a graphical bug, after specifically co-belligerenting Netherlands, they're still listed as a non-cobelligerent and each of their provinces costs double its warscore, with the imperialism CB. It's pissing me off because I'm close to restoring the Roman Empire in the early 1700s as Byzantium (redundant, I know :v:) and the Shadow Kingdom never fired in my game, not sure if that's a bug too or the game just got really unlucky with the MTTH for those events. Venice and the Papal States were never reined in, because I ate them :v: so all of Northern Italy is still in the HRE. When I ate France, it gave enough AE that all the remaining states in the HRE now hate me forever, and I've gone all in with "AE is just a number". My borders have expanded right up to the HRE in every direction, but it's just gonna be a pain in the rear end if I can't take a decent amount of land in every war. I've been truce juggling and sitting on 100% OE for the last hundred years of eating Gaul and Iberia.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Well, this England start was easier than I thought. Never got surrender of Maine event. Able to force vassalize Provence, diplo vassalized East Frisia, took Lorraine by war from Burgundy, my friend Castile got the inheritance shortly after, then I just got Austria under PU and was able to crush France and take Paris in the peace. Just gotta up my development and get any colonization achievements and this run is iced.

PUs are so broken if you hunt hard and get lucky.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

Declare war screen:

War screen:

Not sure what's going on there. If I declare directly on Netherlands, all the coalition members are shown as co-belligerents in the DOW screen, but then in the actual war they aren't. I think my best bet is to declare on the ally of a coalition member and call the coalition member in as a co-belligerent, at least then I can separate peace out all the coalition members, even if I'm eating the non-cobelligerent penalty and can only take half as much. This doesn't seem to be working as designed as far as I understand it, maybe I'm not getting it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Eh, I feel like I'm done. There's enough time to fill in the rest of Africa (colonization + taking provinces from France, Spain, and Tunis) but I no longer care.

End state: Ming is my vassal and is about 50% integrated, Commonwealth has been by best friend since I've made contact with Europe (backing me against the Ottomans while I backed them against the Russians). After crushing the Ottomans I decided to terrorize the rest of Asia and go for That's a Silk Road. France got a PU over Spain and the Papal State has taken nearly all of Italy. Denmark exists but has been exiled to Iceland. Russia is absolutely massive but I think my name is a little bigger so that's a win

The 13 Colonies are in Florida, and "Florida" is in Maine

A ton of Native American tribes are still around! Navajo, Pima, Choctaw, etc.

Ming fell apart kind of late, but I was able to swoop in and vassalize them at 2 provinces and then took back all of Ming's remaining cores within 10 years.

My force limit is 820 but I haven't ever gone beyond 400; I just don't have the will to manage that many dudes. My infantry are all mercs and my generals are all Gods with 4+ in all stats

Aragon founded a Colonial nation in Alaska, and it is named "Pacifico Norte". I rather like that

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
i hate that you border Bengal

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Been mulling a Lithuania run, getting the jump on Novgorod before Russia and such. Do you still from the PU from the Lit side? Their ideas seem good for a wide, low-Unrest empire.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I'm doing a Naples/Italy run at the moment, but I am not sure if I should build galleys or heavies.

I don't plan on colonizing, just sinking the Ottoman and Spanish navies in the Med, and then blockading.

What is best to build in this case?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

OperaMouse posted:

I'm doing a Naples/Italy run at the moment, but I am not sure if I should build galleys or heavies.

I don't plan on colonizing, just sinking the Ottoman and Spanish navies in the Med, and then blockading.

What is best to build in this case?

Italy has the best galley bonus I think, so I would go with tons of galleys with some heavies mixed in depending on how many can you afford (more heavies is always better but not cheap at all - try to have at least as many heavies as they have)

Also please note that you will probably have to go over force limits to stand a chance of beating Ottomans or Spain in naval combat and going over force limits with lots of heavies will bankrupt you quick

E: naples has no naval combat bonus so wait until forming Italy to take them on. Ottomans usually have a huge navy but no bonus so if you have their same numbers you can kill them easily. Spain is a much tougher cookie with their +10% heavy ship combat, your +20% galley combat isn't up to par with that.. So outnumber them a lot. Especially if they took quality or other naval boosting ideas

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 27, 2017

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Johan posting the hot updates on his twitter. Macro builder improves:

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/846275390373085185

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

That's rad.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:vince:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Praise the lord, finally

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/846218824408076288

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm crying

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Pdox really has a hard-on with making things take hard limited resources.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Playstation 4 posted:

Pdox really has a hard-on with making things take hard limited resources.

Yeah honestly at 50 mil this seems like it'd only be useful in a world conquest.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

:awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Isnt that what artillery already is supposed to be doing? And now we are going to have to pay for it if we want it more quickly?

• Locked thread