Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

While these are true, limiting those things is just making gameplay in many cases. Most of that could apply to Command and Conquer

Yes, and...?

I'm not even sure what you mean by "making gameplay", tbh, or what point you're trying to make here in general.

Remember the original contention was:

s.i.r.e. posted:

I said the combat added tension since it drained the two things that you needed to survive: health and ammo. Without combat you're left with health, without health and a fail state there's no tension and your horror game fails to be a horror game.

Which was an argument that you're reduced to "health" as the only driver for fail state mechanics.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Improbable Lobster posted:

For someone too stupid to understand basic subtext you sure are sanctimonious

I was discussing the settings and themes of Outlast and SH2 and you have a meltdown and start flinging poo poo. I legitimately wanted you to hear your answers to the questions you deflected; and as someone who does have mental illness I'm honestly curious how you would do a game like Outlast with it's unrealistic setting and portrayal of those with mental illnesses and turn it into a game that maintains the atmosphere and gameplay of Outlast without portraying mental illness as something it's really not.

Honestly, I want to hear your thoughts on this. Would you drop the setting? How would you change the gameplay? Would you go the Silent Hill route where everything is just in your head and you're not actually seeing other patients as raving lunatics? My issue, and the crux of what we're discussing, is that Outlast wants us to be scared of the patients in the Asylum, but with realistic portrayals of mental illness Outlast would basically be saying "Hey, you're supposed to fear these people" which I think is more hosed up than it's current Arkham Asylum rendition of psychosis.

I feel like the game would require some drastic changes and ultimately be a whole other game. I think their aim was a simple experience and I don't know if the team could pull off anything deeper than what they did because while I enjoyed the gameplay the story was bad.

GlyphGryph posted:

A non-exhaustive list of things I've seen used in horror games:
Time (this is a big one that many games use a primary source of tension for good reason)
Energy/Power/Fuel
Building Materials
Allies/Friends
Distance

I meant more example games that use these things that forego the conventions of health an ammo, from what I recall of games that use those elements it's always in conjunction with at least the players' health.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
FNAF uses time and energy and does not use health as a resource and is currently a notable game in the genre without combat, but I already cited that one.

Distance is common in chase sequences, where you must overcome obstacles but where failure doesnt drain your health just lets pursuit get closer. It was used in most iterations of the SH franchise.

Friends/allies are a common resource in more strategy oriented horror games. The Telltale TWD games might be pretty linear in the end but certainly provide a good illusion of this at various points and the old Friday the 13th game had it as the main resource.

Building materials are common in horror hybrid games. While Die2Nite DID have health and very simplistic combat there was no real tension to it, the major mechanics revolved around managing resources and other people and that game got incredibly tense. IMO I would love more games focusing on building up and preparing for a wave of danger and then focusing on maintaining your defenses long enough to survive.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 24, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GlyphGryph posted:

FNAF uses time and energy and does not use health as a resource and is currently a notable game in the genre without combat, but I already cited that one.

Distance is common in chase sequences, where you must overcome obstacles but where failure doesnt drain your health just lets pursuit get closer. It was used in most iterations of the SH franchise.

Friends/allies are a common resource in more strategy oriented horror games. The Telltale TWD games might be pretty linear in the end but certainly provide a good illusion of this at various points and the old Friday the 13th game had it as the main resource.

Building materials are common in horror hybrid games. While Die2Nite DID have health and very simplistic combat there was no real tension to it, the major mechanics revolved around managing resources and other people and that game got incredibly tense. IMO I would love more games focusing on building up and preparing for a wave of danger and then focusing on maintaining your defenses long enough to survive.

Good points, and I agree, though a lot of these still come coupled with a death state. You could argue that the power is your health in FNAF 1, anyway, but other games don't follow it's formula close enough so really good call on that one.

I remember one of the most tense moments I've had in a game was AvP2 way back when, you're running from a larger Alien (I believe it's the Predalien) and it's chasing your rear end down while you're stuck using the slow blowtorch to open vents to use to escape. I believe you open the last vent/door just as it breaks into the hallway you're in and starts charging you from the far side.

I didn't even think of the Telltale Walking Dead games, losing the characters I cared about was harsh and it did effectively keep the tension going when someone's life was at risk that wasn't Lee or Clem.

Improbable Lobster I apologize for the low blow from before and would honestly like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

In other news, Routine has been delayed again. :smith:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

Honestly, I want to hear your thoughts on this. Would you drop the setting? How would you change the gameplay? Would you go the Silent Hill route where everything is just in your head and you're not actually seeing other patients as raving lunatics? My issue, and the crux of what we're discussing, is that Outlast wants us to be scared of the patients in the Asylum, but with realistic portrayals of mental illness Outlast would basically be saying "Hey, you're supposed to fear these people" which I think is more hosed up than it's current Arkham Asylum rendition of psychosis.

The current portrayal of mental illness as well as the setting of Outlast and Whistleblower are by-the-numbers cliches that wouldn't be out of place in a 1970s b-movie. It's pretty trite in 2017 and would have to be reworked from the ground up. They don't really do anything to 'earn' the setting, there's no real twist to the spooky asylum besides the skeleton ghost thing at the end. The portrayal of the patients might not be realistic but that doesn't actually help. It jut continues a pretty gross stereotype of sick people being a danger to others while the mentally ill are more likely to be victims of violence. Spooky run down asylums full of crazy people don't really have a place in horror these days IMHO.

Silent Hill 2 is one of my favourite games in part bwcause of how it handles mental health. You spend a lot of time in hospitals and asylums in the series but you aren't being menaced by 'crazies' or 'psychos'. You see the patient-doctor interactions through nots and environmental details while the enemies you face are symbolic of James's problems. It still addresses James's mental state and has a spooky hospital/asylum without demonizing vulnerable people.

Ultimately I think that mental illness can be a useful tool in horror but it has a bad history and if you're just gonna regurgitate tired cliches of sick people being murderers then you just shouldn't bother.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

GlyphGryph posted:

While Die2Nite DID have health and very simplistic combat there was no real tension to it, the major mechanics revolved around managing resources and other people and that game got incredibly tense. IMO I would love more games focusing on building up and preparing for a wave of danger and then focusing on maintaining your defenses long enough to survive.

Oh gently caress someone else here has played Die2Nite? That game rules and I miss it. Like, shame about the fact it was very blatantly Pay2Win when you actually wanted to start competing but gently caress if that game doesn't have some goddamn amazing social elements to it like no other.

because you reminded me of it I went and booted it up again after however long it's been and got a notification saying I'd been awarded the "Ranked Town" badge.

Apparently I quit playing on a high note or something because man season 11 owned for me.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 24, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Duke Spookem Forever

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The current portrayal of mental illness as well as the setting of Outlast and Whistleblower are by-the-numbers cliches that wouldn't be out of place in a 1970s b-movie. It's pretty trite in 2017 and would have to be reworked from the ground up. They don't really do anything to 'earn' the setting, there's no real twist to the spooky asylum besides the skeleton ghost thing at the end. The portrayal of the patients might not be realistic but that doesn't actually help. It jut continues a pretty gross stereotype of sick people being a danger to others while the mentally ill are more likely to be victims of violence. Spooky run down asylums full of crazy people don't really have a place in horror these days IMHO.

Silent Hill 2 is one of my favourite games in part bwcause of how it handles mental health. You spend a lot of time in hospitals and asylums in the series but you aren't being menaced by 'crazies' or 'psychos'. You see the patient-doctor interactions through nots and environmental details while the enemies you face are symbolic of James's problems. It still addresses James's mental state and has a spooky hospital/asylum without demonizing vulnerable people.

Ultimately I think that mental illness can be a useful tool in horror but it has a bad history and if you're just gonna regurgitate tired cliches of sick people being murderers then you just shouldn't bother.

I agree completely, the stereotype is definitely negative and I think they could have reworked the enemies as kidnapped experiments of the doctor who just used the asylum (or even mansion or castle, doesn't matter) as a place he uses to conduct his experiments. The game could have easily stated that the people trapped in there weren't patients as the building was long abandoned before the doctor went there and started to kidnap. Or something, it could have been real-easy to rework it and keep the game pretty similar.

I think the gameplay was solid, peering through that lovely camera and running from people was tense but you're right, the plot and setting didn't do much for that. I think for the game to be mindful about what it actually dealt with it wouldn't have the same gameplay though but, again, they could have changed that.

Do you feel that Silent Hill 2 would hold up without the combat? The combat wasn't a highlight of the game (or any SH) but most of the tension, for me, came from worrying about having enough ammo and choosing which fights to engage in. I'd the other part was wondering what was around the corner and what I'd see. Do you feel tension when playing Silent Hill 2? You stated it wasn't a scary game, but was it at least tense for you?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Oh gently caress someone else here has played Die2Nite? That game rules and I miss it. Like, shame about the fact it was very blatantly Pay2Win when you actually wanted to start competing but gently caress if that game doesn't have some goddamn amazing social elements to it like no other.

because you reminded me of it I went and booted it up again after however long it's been and got a notification saying I'd been awarded the "Ranked Town" badge.

Apparently I quit playing on a high note or something because man season 11 owned for me.
It was good, but I think MUSH was even better. I played Die2Nite because friends did, but MUSH... that I got hooked on. What a trip. I spent an entire week anxious and fearful because of that game once.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

drat actually a goon MUSH game would be great, I wonder if it's still even running...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

I agree completely, the stereotype is definitely negative and I think they could have reworked the enemies as kidnapped experiments of the doctor who just used the asylum (or even mansion or castle, doesn't matter) as a place he uses to conduct his experiments. The game could have easily stated that the people trapped in there weren't patients as the building was long abandoned before the doctor went there and started to kidnap. Or something, it could have been real-easy to rework it and keep the game pretty similar.

I think the gameplay was solid, peering through that lovely camera and running from people was tense but you're right, the plot and setting didn't do much for that. I think for the game to be mindful about what it actually dealt with it wouldn't have the same gameplay though but, again, they could have changed that.

Do you feel that Silent Hill 2 would hold up without the combat? The combat wasn't a highlight of the game (or any SH) but most of the tension, for me, came from worrying about having enough ammo and choosing which fights to engage in. I'd the other part was wondering what was around the corner and what I'd see. Do you feel tension when playing Silent Hill 2? You stated it wasn't a scary game, but was it at least tense for you?

Silent Hill 2 was tense but never "scary" to me (I find sci-fi stuff like Alien Isolation much spookier in the traditional sense). Combat was rarely ever dangerous especially past the first playthrough and the story was what kept me going. If the plot had been focused on the cult stuff from SH1 or had otherwise not been as well written then it wouldn't be a game that I would hold up as a shining example of the genre. If combat had been pared-down to just boss battles or even removed entirely I would have been just as happy because what interests me about the game is the exploration into the psyche of James, Angela and Eddie as well as their personal conflicts.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

Replace the combat with more chase scenes and it would have been better imo. I don't feel like the combat in SH2 in particular added anything.

(The combat was important in Alien Isolation though, was nice to punctuate moments of pure terror with feeling like a badass after taking out a bunch of androids only to go back to pure terror when the alien shows up)

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

GlyphGryph posted:

Replace the combat with more chase scenes and it would have been better imo. I don't feel like the combat in SH2 in particular added anything

See, I don't think that works. James' problem is his inaction and ambivalence over what to do and how to live his life in the absence of his wife and the game is about him dealing with that; The enemies are weird, meandering freaks that barely focus on you because James himself is basically dreaming through his life without a target. I feel like the enemies being active pursuers would have warped the theme.

Ending discussion bits:

Besides, beating a shitload of feminine monsters to death with a pipe is pretty thematically appropriate for a dude who killed his wife

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

See, I don't think that works. James' problem is his inaction and ambivalence over what to do and how to live his life in the absence of his wife and the game is about him dealing with that; The enemies are weird, meandering freaks that barely focus on you because James himself is basically dreaming through his life without a target. I feel like the enemies being active pursuers would have warped the theme.

Ending discussion bits:

Besides, beating a shitload of feminine monsters to death with a pipe is pretty thematically appropriate for a dude who killed his wife

Like I said earlier, Pyramid Head being an aggressive stalker were the most memorable moments of that game. Especially the hospital basement (I believe that's it) where you're minding your own business, moving about this serpentine corridor and then *kaclunk kaclunk kaclunk*

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think we can dismiss spoiler tags for a 2001 game. :v: Also, Tidus was a dream of the aeons.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
gotta delay until people stop releasing bigger scifi horror games (like prey)! expect a delay near when pamela is out of early access! or when observer comes out! or system shock 3!

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

al-azad posted:

Like I said earlier, Pyramid Head being an aggressive stalker were the most memorable moments of that game. Especially the hospital basement (I believe that's it) where you're minding your own business, moving about this serpentine corridor and then *kaclunk kaclunk kaclunk*

They'd be even more memorable if every single combat sequence in the entire game was replaced with a chase sequence I bet

Wouldn't get boring and annoying at all after a few hours

Silent Hill Shattered Memories what's that

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

They'd be even more memorable if every single combat sequence in the entire game was replaced with a chase sequence I bet

Wouldn't get boring and annoying at all after a few hours

Silent Hill Shattered Memories what's that

I'll take three or four well scripted, memorable encounters over the course of an entire game instead of having to stop every 10 feet to lazily bash a clumsy monster in the head because "video games!"

This is would be my Silent Hill. Twisted abominations of my inner psyche that pose no threat but to function in day to day life I need to knock them back with a steel pipe.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Wow four whole chases.

That game might last a whole two hours with that juicy content

Especially when you're rushing to end the sequence ASAP because it's a chase, so you're not actually examining anything

Seriously just go play shatmemz if you want this game dude

And keep being reductive and obtuse about the combat and enemy design to make it sound stupid so your thing about running from guys sounds fun I guess

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Is there any game where the asylum is actually an asylum?
i.e. it's the only place of safety from the overwhelming danger outside?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

Wow four whole chases.

Especially when you're rushing to end the sequence ASAP because it's a chase, so you're not actually examining anything

Seriously just go play shatmemz if you want this game dude

And keep being reductive and obtuse about the combat and enemy design to make it sound stupid so your thing about running from guys sounds fun I guess

You're arguing that the combat exists solely to pad the game and that's poo poo. Someone even said that the enemies were designed to make you stop, but phrased it as good game design. That's horseshit.

Someone also said the combat in SH1 was good and going back to SH2 I will agree wholeheartedly! Having replayed SH1 a few years ago I was surprised by how aggressive the 2nd half monsters are. They're agile and placed in inconvenient spots that makes it hard to dodge. And you don't have the resources to fight them so it's a lot of zigzagging to avoid their lunging attacks but then you turn a corner on a 2' wide walkway and bump into one of those monkey dogs in a dead end while one of the flying things dive bombs you in the opposite direction, that poo poo gets intense.

But man, Silent Hill 2's combat design is horrendous in comparison. Every monster can either be stunlocked or is slow enough to run around. Even the bosses are trash compared to SH1. Pyramid Head's first fight is on a timer as you avoid his long windups. Compare this to the giant lizard whose weakspot is revealed in a creepy children's book. The only threat abstract daddy poses is Angela blocks a corner in a 5x5 cell. Eddie is Cybil minus the cool alternate solution and you fight him in a small, well lit room. Even the final boss is derivative of Incubus except this one moves around erratically and shoots bats.

e: I'm not being reductive at all, this discussion made me go back to a game I haven't played in 12 years and realized that all the moments I had fun were when I wasn't fighting anything. I haven't really played anything beyond SH2 but if it's more of the same I think I'll call it done.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 25, 2017

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
You're making the most painfully broad generalizations to support your point which is, as far as I can tell, that SH2 should have been a reskin of Amnesia and two hours long because length is unimportant and gameplay just GETS IN THE WAY OF THE STORY MAN so why not just make a movie

Running away isn't really good gameplay either fwiw, especially in clunky rear end SH controls

What exactly do you think should be done and what would it accomplish, just so we can nail down what we're discussing

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tendales posted:

Is there any game where the asylum is actually an asylum?
i.e. it's the only place of safety from the overwhelming danger outside?

The Darkness 2 has a few neat asylum segments where the game lampshades the discomfort of its One Flew Over the Cuckoo Nest cliches. It's revealed to be a sort of mental prison to keep your evil rear end out and you can either live in peace kill yourself to rescue your girlfriend in hell who is actually an angelic guardian that traps you there forever because no one will ever continue this series.

Jukebox Hero posted:

You're making the most painfully broad generalizations to support your point which is, as far as I can tell, that SH2 should have been a reskin of Amnesia and two hours long because length is unimportant and gameplay just GETS IN THE WAY OF THE STORY MAN so why not just make a movie

Running away isn't really good gameplay either fwiw, especially in clunky rear end SH controls

What exactly do you think should be done and what would it accomplish, just so we can nail down what we're discussing

How am I making broad generalizations by saying SH2 has a worst design than SH1 while providing examples to back it up? Are you going to argue that the bosses are good? Are you going to say that the scenarios add to the creepiness of the atmosphere? Running around a 5x5 cell while a flesh-bed hugs you?

And why are you so focused on length over delivering a memorable experience? Someone argued that the combat in the game is designed to keep you on edge but overcoming that combat requires a trivial amount of effort. So what service does this do for the game? How is it a stronger with combat than without?

You say running away "isn't good gameplay" but that's the core design of survival horror. You don't fight the infinitely spawning enemies on the streets, there's not enough resources for that, you have to run. But the core difference between well designed combat like Resident Evil is that Resi has enemies that pose a variety of challenges. Lickers and hunters can clear large distances, spiders poison you, dogs are hard to dodge, and zombies are bullet sponges. Silent Hill 1 understands this on some level, the sequel does not. The most abstract challenge is an enemy that attacks you from below, a creature you encounter maybe three times. Everything else slowly stumbles about.

I already said what should be done, ax the clunky combat completely. It serves no purpose except to take me out of the game. And PT was a look at them doing just that and everyone loving loved it, this game that had no actual narrative and was a single hallway soaking in atmosphere.

And really man, I don't loving care if a game is 2 hours. Bloating a paper thin game leads you to Ubisoft open world syndrome, i don't need that garbage in my games. I would've told you that 20 years ago, I'll tell you that today. Silent Hill has multiple endings, it's fast playing, it's a tight design, it has secrets. That's $50 well spent right there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think SH2 is beautiful just the way it is

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
So basically you don't like silent hill 2 and want a different game that is nothing like silent hill 2, other than the atmosphere?

Also every boss I can remember in sh1 is one you strafe around and shoot other than the singular example of the lizard who you strafe around and shoot until you shoot him in his exposed weak point like a resident evil boss.

This is just PT blue balls isn't it? You liked PT so much you're acting like the whole series would have been better for emulating it?
Btw I thought PT was really pretty and interesting but after like fifteen minutes I was mostly bored walking in a circle while little hauntings happened; They should have added in monsters and weapons to fight them with.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I do like the sequence at the end of Silent Hill 2 where you're forced to give up your weapons and I feel like the tension only works because of the contrast of having combat and then being forced to give up your defenses, but then the best part of that game IMO is the part where it explicitly doesn't let you fight.

also I really never thought I'd see someone else going to bat for SH1 having better combat/enemy encounters than SH2, that's an opinion I usually just keep to myself because I can't be arsed trying to justify not licking SH2's balls constantly as an SH fan. It's actually a huge part of why SH2 totally bounced off me and why I got into SH1 and 3 an insane amount and spent literally hundreds of hours on them hammering out speedruns and optimal playthroughs. 1 and 3 are actually really good games, 2's kinda weak and an indistinct blurry haze of kinda samey not-especially good encounters.

al-azad posted:

Having replayed SH1 a few years ago I was surprised by how aggressive the 2nd half monsters are. They're agile and placed in inconvenient spots that makes it hard to dodge. And you don't have the resources to fight them so it's a lot of zigzagging to avoid their lunging attacks but then you turn a corner on a 2' wide walkway and bump into one of those monkey dogs in a dead end while one of the flying things dive bombs you in the opposite direction, that poo poo gets intense.

But man, Silent Hill 2's combat design is horrendous in comparison. Every monster can either be stunlocked or is slow enough to run around.

Just backing this up as someone who's speedran both 1 and 2 (and 3 and 4 and etc....). You can dodge basically all enemies in 1, but it's really difficult, it requires precise setups, enemy movement manipulations, knowledge of how different enemy types react to the differing light levels in the indoor and outdoor areas at both day and night time, and the odd juke and sometimes just loving luck. It's kinda hard albeit still possible in 1 to just Temple Run through that poo poo. Functionally for most normal people, not happening.

In 2 (and 3 as well honestly but ehhhhh) you can pretty much just ignore all of that poo poo and run straight past monsters with nary a care. On my first playthroughs of 2 and 3 I fought basically jackshit and just shoulderchecked monsters out of my way. There is no particular complexity to it. I think 3 makes up for it with enemy variety and some cool boss encounters and setpiece moments (some of which are totally missable), 2 really doesn't. It's combat and encounter design is decidedly uncomplicated by comparison.

I don't really think this is in favour of like, removing the combat entirely? I just think 2 should've done it better.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 25, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

So basically you don't like silent hill 2 and want a different game that is nothing like silent hill 2, other than the atmosphere?

Silent Hill 2 is the atmosphere. That's my argument, the end, nothing else is important to me because the core gameplay is uninteresting.

Jukebox Hero posted:

Also every boss I can remember in sh1 is one you strafe around and shoot other than the singular example of the lizard who you strafe around and shoot until you shoot him in his exposed weak point like a resident evil boss.

At least there's room to strafe.

Some nail biting design here.

quote:

This is just PT blue balls isn't it? You liked PT so much you're acting like the whole series would have been better for emulating it?
Btw I thought PT was really pretty and interesting but after like fifteen minutes I was mostly bored walking in a circle while little hauntings happened; They should have added in monsters and weapons to fight them with.

I don't know at what point you jumped into this argument, but a few days ago I was venting my frustration over RE7 and how it solidified my opinion that combat in horror games always makes them worse. Your post that I quoted was in defense of SH2's enemies being non-threatening and ineffectual (which I uphold makes the game poorly designed, especially compared to SH1). My response was that Pyramid Head is the antithesis of your argument, itself being an aggressive stalker, and it's why Pyramid Head transcended a game he could only believably exist to become the mascot of the series as a whole. This creature you can't kill until the game lets you is the highlight of the show, not the blobs of slowly creeping flesh you can beat off with a stick.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

also I really never thought I'd see someone else going to bat for SH1 having better combat/enemy encounters than SH2, that's an opinion I usually just keep to myself because I can't be arsed trying to justify not licking SH2's balls constantly as an SH fan. It's actually a huge part of why SH2 totally bounced off me and why I got into SH1 and 3 an insane amount and spent literally hundreds of hours on them hammering out speedruns and optimal playthroughs. 1 and 3 are actually really good games, 2's kinda weak and an indistinct blurry haze of kinda samey not-especially good encounters.

You literally opened my eyes to it. A few days ago I was like "combat, take it or leave it" but after playing a bit of 2 again it's night and day. This ugly PS1 game I was already familiar with was still packed with tension compared to its prettier and better designed sequel but I can't ever argue in favor of the enemy design. Especially not after playing Resident Evil again. And that series gets a lot of crap for its controls but it's amazing how much Capcom squeezed out from so little.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 25, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The holes in that boss room give me the heebie-jeebies.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The holes in that boss room give me the heebie-jeebies.

With the pistons moving up and down? Yeah. It creeped me out as a teenager and it still kind of makes me uncomfortable now.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Silent Hill 2 was tense but never "scary" to me (I find sci-fi stuff like Alien Isolation much spookier in the traditional sense). Combat was rarely ever dangerous especially past the first playthrough and the story was what kept me going. If the plot had been focused on the cult stuff from SH1 or had otherwise not been as well written then it wouldn't be a game that I would hold up as a shining example of the genre. If combat had been pared-down to just boss battles or even removed entirely I would have been just as happy because what interests me about the game is the exploration into the psyche of James, Angela and Eddie as well as their personal conflicts.

My friends and I went for the harder modes right off the cuff for SH2, so maybe that's why the combat was more of a factor for me. There were many times were so low on ammo we had to Barry Sanders our way around poo poo, it was tense even though we were apparently safe from most things doing that but we didnt' know.

GlyphGryph posted:

Replace the combat with more chase scenes and it would have been better imo. I don't feel like the combat in SH2 in particular added anything.

I dunno, while I think it's a good idea this would probably get really stale really fast unless they manage to really change things up. They tried this for Shattered Memories and while I really liked the game, I hated being chased about halfway through. It just wasn't that fun.

sigher fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 25, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Just going to pop in and throw my hands up in relief that there are people that actually agree with me that Silent Hill 1 was a better gaming experience than Silent Hill 2. Sure, Silent Hill 2 had a better constructed plot in some ways and I like the creature designs, but I just don't know, 1 and 3 are the games I go back to. I've played 2 once and really can't be bothered.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 25, 2017

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

al-azad posted:

I don't know at what point you jumped into this argument, but a few days ago I was venting my frustration over RE7 and how it solidified my opinion that combat in horror games always makes them worse. Your post that I quoted was in defense of SH2's enemies being non-threatening and ineffectual (which I uphold makes the game poorly designed, especially compared to SH1). My response was that Pyramid Head is the antithesis of your argument, itself being an aggressive stalker, and it's why Pyramid Head transcended a game he could only believably exist to become the mascot of the series as a whole. This creature you can't kill until the game lets you is the highlight of the show, not the blobs of slowly creeping flesh you can beat off with a stick

So let's throw a bunch of Jacks and Molded in there to chase you around and never die. That'll be really iconic and emblematic; invincible monsters that you can't do anything against are always my favorite part of silent hill

wait sh4 was reviewed terribly for reasons including stupid invincible enemies that chase you forever

Oh whatever, we just need big scary noises to chase you, gently caress even making a model lets bring back the big red void from downpour, is that more up your alley

All this poo poo is great and all but it's from some Outlast ripoff, not the core Silent Hill games; Making them adrenaline fueled, fun chases through haunted obstacle courses(which are already in a few places and really effective and not devalued by being the only loving gameplay available) seems to me like it might make the plot and atmosphere more of a backdrop to all the running.

Unless you wanna let us go back and look around after you despawn your ICONIC MONSTER and kill all the atmosphere anyway I guess.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Jukebox Hero posted:

Maybe then it would be just a good game instead of bits of good game sandwiched between long stretches of arduously boring game

Near as I can tell, this isn't really about wholly cutting the fat from SH2 especially because I feel that game absolutely needs the combat to tell its story most effectively. SH2's gameplay is weak, but the other two games in the trilogy illustrate that that core is not irredeemable. As it stands, the behavior of enemies, the layouts of enemies, and the variety of enemies are all inferior to the games coming just before and after.

I also really dig your sarcastic comment about invincible monsters being so iconic to the series when Pyramid Head is obnoxiously iconic to the point that it got shoved several places where it didn't belong outside of SH2 and, also, is in SH2, the game which a frustratingly high ratio of people prop up as the best in the series.

Jukebox Hero posted:

So let's throw a bunch of Jacks and Molded in there to chase you around and never die.
what was that about being reductive lmao

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 25, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
The Silent Hill series is not good enough to warrant this passionate of discourse.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hanales posted:

The Silent Hill series is not good enough to warrant this passionate of discourse.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
yes please return to a dozen pages on five nights at freddies

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
All horror games are bad except anime manga horror story

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
SH2 with no combat and chase sequences is Shattered Memories which was a lovely game and I think implementing the mechanics from it into other games is a bad idea because even if they're implemented well then it's a different loving game about running from poo poo and not a game about dealing with the dismal, depressing, empty feelings brought on by depression in the wake of the traumatic loss of a loved one

If James had a secret backstory about how he's scared of people running fast then fine but you can't just say 'sh2 would be better with no combat and chase sequences and if it was two hours long' because then it's a game with a plot about a depressed miserable rear end in a top hat trying to find a reason to not kill himself but the GAME part is just chase sequences and point and click adventure sequences(or just the normal game but without fighting, in which case you're literally saying 'this game needs less features') with none of that boring awful gameplay to get in the way of the cutscenes.

I'm just honestly confused why you think that sh2 would be better if it ignored its own themes and made a 'game' part that was just built to tell a different story about some dude who runs a lot.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

you can basically get a combat-less SH2 experience by setting the action to beginner and ignoring every enemy, and even bosses take like three shots each and the game is still really fun that way imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

honestly we should be praising sh2 for decoupling its action difficulty and puzzle difficulty and i don't know why every other game ever doesn't do that