Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Decius posted:

No. MEA is pretty on the nose, but not that much. It is a bit more complicated, inventive and also simpler at the same time. Alec Ryder and his wife built SAM/the implant tech together.

Thanks. I'm kind of relieved by this answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

isk posted:

Post game thoughts

Generally agreed on most points save for Drack being Wrex.

Drack is way

Way mellower than Wrex. I thought they did a good job differentiating him by making him more family focused, less big picture. Dude doesn't care about Krogan writ large, he just wants his grandkids to be okay and to get into some cool fights in his twilight years.

Career
Mar 27, 2010

EvilTaytoMan posted:

So I've been playing this for a few hours and I noticed a couple of bugs. One of them is incredibly annoying where if you're in a conversation the game will automatically pick a conversation option for you based on where the mouse pointer is.

This happened to me with annoying frequency during the demo and then never happened again.

Thankfully, most of your dialogue choices are completely meaningless.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Although "HUSTL" is a terrible acronym for Liam's old unit, I gotta say that "Officer of HUSTL" would be a loving incredible 70s blaxploitation/spy flick.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
The emails in this game are a nice little touch and some of them have cracked me up so far. Like Lexi sending you drawings of Krogans loving and Drack sending you assorted images of guns to cheer you up. Would be nice if I could just read them on the highly advanced omni tool attached to me that can hack alien technology and slice bread instead of having to walk to one specific terminal on your ship. Unless I'm an idiot and you can, which is probable.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I really miss the ability to reply to emails. Alpha Protocol did it!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Career posted:

This happened to me with annoying frequency during the demo and then never happened again.

Thankfully, most of your dialogue choices are completely meaningless.

It was the conversation loops that annoyed me more than the conversation choices themselves. At least restarting the game fixes it.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

BrianWilly posted:

Heck, the Nexus is hundreds of times bigger than the Hyperion, so how did it get there first?

:psyduck:

Guys, why didn't the Nexus' greater MASS have an EFFECT on its travel speed? :tali:

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 25, 2017

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

exquisite tea posted:

Hm, what would be a profitable setting for our next video game. I know, how about a spy thriller that like 20 people bought back in 2008.

Which is too bad because the game was actually pretty awesome. Gunplay wasn't the best, but the choices you could make and the ability to talk your way into/out of situations was great. Especially when you unlocked rookie and veteran backgrounds and had special dialogue options for them!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm enjoying ME:A for the most part, but goddamn does it have some stupid writing. A fascinating First-Contact situation, with Aliens who don't speak our language at all... only suddenly they do, know exactly what a Pathfinder is, and are grudgingly sending us on a fetch quest or two for them in exchange for poking around in ruins of a race they amazingly call Remnant too, despite a lone Asari making up the name, along with that of the kett. Another name made up by a goddamn lone Krogan.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

The emails in this game are a nice little touch and some of them have cracked me up so far. Like Lexi sending you drawings of Krogans loving and Drack sending you assorted images of guns to cheer you up. Would be nice if I could just read them on the highly advanced omni tool attached to me that can hack alien technology and slice bread instead of having to walk to one specific terminal on your ship. Unless I'm an idiot and you can, which is probable.

I'm only a few hours in, and my favourite so far is the note on the message board in the Crew Quarters about the fire drill. PeeBee got disqualified for being two minutes late, and she has a note at the bottom that reads "I LIVE IN AN ESCAPE POD!" :allears:

BrianWilly posted:

Okay, a legitimate criticism time before I delve back in:

The more you think about it, the less that the premise of the Nexus and the Arks makes sense. Why did the Arks travel separately? Every single one's destination is apparently the exact same place. Why risk getting lost from each other in the vast void of space -- which is the exact thing that ends up happening -- by going to different places before going to the Nexus? The Hyperion stops by Habitat 7...and then does absolutely nothing there, before meeting up with the Nexus where its power and personnel are supposed to be. All of this could have been avoided if every Ark traveled like a big caravan with the Nexus, just sending out smaller scouting parties to the prospective Golden Worlds after you'd gotten settled.

Also, did they expect the Hyperion to arrive 18 months after the Nexus, or didn't they? The crew on the Nexus clearly expected the Hyperion earlier -- they'd thought that the Hyperion was flat-out dead or lost by the time it actually got there -- but no one on the Hyperion seemed surprised about the timing of their trip; in fact, they didn't run into problems until after they arrived, so nothing was off about their actual travel process at all at all. It's as if the Hyperion just didn't even know they were supposed to be there to support the Nexus much earlier, and nothing is ever mentioned about the fact again (as far as I know...I haven't finished the game yet).

Heck, the Nexus is hundreds of times bigger than the Hyperion, so how did it get there first?

I'll dial this one down the most simple question; Why loving bother with separate Arks, when they're tiny in comparison to the Nexus and could've all just been sent as one goddamn giant ship/station? The whole point is to use the Nexus as a central hub anyway, so why bother with individual ships that are going to beeline right towards it upon arrival?

That said, the Nexus was supposed to turn up early and finish construction while popping colonies off to Golden Worlds. Why they couldn't automate the remaining construction in-transit with an iteration of SAM in control is another question that just makes it stupider given they're working from onboard supplies. Also the isolation from ME3's events make zero sense given they only occur a year or two out from launch. You'd think they'd send an automated pod stuffed with galactic news out once a decade or so to go chase the Arks and keep them updated. Nevermind six centuries worth of technological advancements in communication methods alone built off salvaged Reaper technology.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That streamer who said the game was 20 hours doing most of the sidequests was full of poo poo.
Yeah, I'm 40 hours in and I still need to find two arks and visit 2 more habitable planets.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Verviticus posted:

oh for people trying to do vanguard on harder difficulties, i found the "kett carfalon" was insaely useful because it refills your health bar, so each melee is giving you ~30% of your total health/shields back. it lets you tank a LOT of poo poo

Combine this with the gun mod that drains 5% of your HP instead of making you reload for extremely good times. (also that gun mod gives you infinite ammo but I'm not sure if it's supposed to or not)

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

To be honest I enjoy that the Initiative was planned by a combination of lunatics who wanted to do war crimes research out of the reach of the law and lady Elon Musk.

The more I learn about the brilliant minds behind the Initiative the more the constant loving up makes sense. These were all mentally unsound people planning an insanely dangerous space journey for no good reason, like pretty much every set of pioneers before them. The fact that this was pretty much a venture capitalist's vanity project makes everything fall into place for me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The real reason for the mission to Andromeda was that that bored rich lady just wanted to find something new to gently caress.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The memory triggers you find indicate the initiative had a secret backer, who sent someone to murder the director after they woke up , either because they were going to blow the lid on the backer and they had sent someone along to handle that situation or because , well, some sort of secret plan or something. I have not seen all the memories yet but the backer knew about the reapers and isn't afraid to murder people so presumably it was TIM.

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:

exquisite tea posted:

Hm, what would be a profitable setting for our next video game. I know, how about a spy thriller that like 20 people bought back in 2008.

The game was alright bar the awful combat system.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How am I supposed to use the consumable that helps when you're in an irradiated zone? All is seems to do is give you 30 seconds of higher resistance (which also charges up slower if you get out of that area...)

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm enjoying ME:A for the most part, but goddamn does it have some stupid writing. A fascinating First-Contact situation, with Aliens who don't speak our language at all... only suddenly they do, know exactly what a Pathfinder is, and are grudgingly sending us on a fetch quest or two for them in exchange for poking around in ruins of a race they amazingly call Remnant too, despite a lone Asari making up the name, along with that of the kett. Another name made up by a goddamn lone Krogan.

http://masseffect.answers.wikia.com/wiki/Ever_wonder_why_all_the_races_in_Mass_Effect_universally_speak_the_same_language

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Codex/UPDATE:_Bring_Down_the_Sky

You aren't speaking the same language as any of the other races. You might not even be speaking the same language as the other humans.

Presumably your translator got "Kett" from someone, tagged it as the new referent for this race in your language, and forever after translates new terms for that race as "Kett."

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'll dial this one down the most simple question; Why loving bother with separate Arks, when they're tiny in comparison to the Nexus and could've all just been sent as one goddamn giant ship/station? The whole point is to use the Nexus as a central hub anyway, so why bother with individual ships that are going to beeline right towards it upon arrival?

This one has an easy answer: politics. It's always politics. Basically you can handwave everything about the Initiative trip with "space is unfathomably huge" and "politics get in the way of everything".

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Welp. SAM just went all who/whom grammar Nazi on my. gently caress all AI forever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Number Ten Cocks posted:

http://masseffect.answers.wikia.com/wiki/Ever_wonder_why_all_the_races_in_Mass_Effect_universally_speak_the_same_language

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Codex/UPDATE:_Bring_Down_the_Sky

You aren't speaking the same language as any of the other races. You might not even be speaking the same language as the other humans.

Presumably your translator got "Kett" from someone, tagged it as the new referent for this race in your language, and forever after translates new terms for that race as "Kett."

I'm well aware of the Translator, but those have been working off provided language databases for thirty years in the case of the Human ones. This is a first-contact situation with zero commonality with the Milky Way races in a complete vacuum. It absolutely should not just flip a switch from zero to fluent. Especially with zero mention of figuring out how to talk to this strange new race they've only just met.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm well aware of the Translator, but those have been working off provided language databases for thirty years in the case of the Human ones. This is a first-contact situation with zero commonality with the Milky Way races in a complete vacuum. It absolutely should not just flip a switch from zero to fluent. Especially with zero mention of figuring out how to talk to this strange new race they've only just met.

That's nice, but your specific Kett and Remnant complaints are dealt with.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

i simply cannot beat the architect

it just fucks me up every time

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also you have a super smart AI that is able to interface with ancient alien tech it had literally never seen before.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Number Ten Cocks posted:

That's nice, but your specific Kett and Remnant complaints are dealt with.

Not really. You'd think the locals would have A: the proper name of the race they've been dealing with directly and B: the name of a race that's been putting monoliths on their planet some time in the last six centuries. It's idiotic to stick with a made-up term when you're encountering a race that knows the proper name for them. You don't see them trying to quantify the Asari or Turians with names that are derived from English words.

The argument you're making is "It's nice they have a proper name, but we're just gonna keep calling them 'The Alien Thingies' instead because it's the first one someone made up from our colony team".

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really. You'd think the locals would have A: the proper name of the race they've been dealing with directly and B: the name of a race that's been putting monoliths on their planet some time in the last six centuries. It's idiotic to stick with a made-up term when you're encountering a race that knows the proper name for them. You don't see them trying to quantify the Asari or Turians with names that are derived from English words.

The argument you're making is "It's nice they have a proper name, but we're just gonna keep calling them 'The Alien Thingies' instead because it's the first one someone made up from our colony team".
How is this any different than what happens in real life for other words?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Beats me, ask the Indians.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Popelmon posted:

Welp. SAM just went all who/whom grammar Nazi on my. gently caress all AI forever.

Sure? They already made that joke early on in the game with Alison after all.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do I "investigate security footage" game just sends me in a loop

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What is the proper name for the country where Angela Merkel is chancellor? As an English speaker, what do you call it?

Also, please write your phonetic pronunciation of the capital of France that you use in conversations with native English speakers. Is it the "proper" pronunciation? In what cultures and contexts?

Are you sufficiently mentally capable to understand why these questions and their answers make you seem like a truly provincial and limited mind with sad pretensions of deeper understanding and wokeness?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've been skimming this thread and as far as I can tell who exactly left all these hi-tech ruins around and where they went is never explained, right? Decent sequel hook. Also it sounds like the kett just turn all races they find into them, (Archon is in charge of converting the angara and I saw a scene where someone says his bosses aren't happy that he's focusing on the ruins instead) but is their origin ever expanded on? Like did they start as an actual race or is it freak genetic engineering all the way down?)

exquisite tea posted:

Do you know what "à la" means?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't know if this gets addressed in game in detail later on, but this doesn't seem at all implausible to me. This is a dangerous voyage, having only one ship makes it an all or nothing prospect. If you have multiple ships then you can have some catastrophic failures without losing the entire expedition. This is a resilience vs efficiency argument, really. If everything had gone well, it would have been more efficient to do it all in one big ship. But as we see in game, things wouldn't have gone well, so it's a good thing the various ships were somewhat independent of one another's failures.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drifter posted:

How is this any different than what happens in real life for other words?

Because this isn't a 17th-Century expedition to the New World hoping the damned savages can be made to speak the Queen's Tongue and winding up calling that mountain over there "Mount Mountain". The Nexus has entire departments trained in exolingusitics, nevermind SAM.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Are you sufficiently mentally capable to understand why these questions and their answers make you seem like a truly provincial and limited mind with sad pretensions of deeper understanding and wokeness?

Okay, that's fair. I know exactly what you mean, and you're right, the problem is that it shouldn't happen in this situation. This isn't something that is the fallout of several centuries of British Empire politics and aristocratic arrogance, it's something happening in five minutes of meeting a race for the very first time with an entire space station full of several thousand educated specialists trained in analyzing and comprehending alien languages on-hand, along with an AI.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

That's your sticking point right now, eh? In a Bioware Mass Effect B studio production.

That's the thing you feel like arguing, not just pointing out, but arguing about? That thing.

In a Bioware videogame.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

GET MY BELT SON posted:

Use the dodge-dash as much as possible. I didn't even use any cover in that fight, fire a few rounds - dodge - repeat. You can avoid his minigun attack by just dodging sideways, same for the big telegraphed deathray. Make sure you are close enough to actually see the healthbar of the components you are shooting at, I stayed at range for a while and I got hit markers when I shot it but apparently it took no damage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drifter posted:

That's your sticking point right now, eh? In a Bioware Mass Effect B studio production.

That's the thing you feel like arguing, not just pointing out, but arguing about? That thing.

In a Bioware videogame.

Oh gently caress no, there is a whole lotta stupid in this game, big and small. Just on the new race's former homeworld, and I'm pretty sure the writers have forgotten about lexo-amino diet issues if the Turian's biggest concern is eating the local plants raw.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Honestly that's my biggest "missed opportunity" beef so far in the game. They make a big effort to draw attention to how unsettling it is that the Kett don't talk in the tutorial, only to kind of shrug that away. This being a whole new First Contact, having a major language barrier would have been a really interesting fold to add to the antagonists. Hell, it would almost act as an inverse on the Reapers, who tended to wax poetic at the drop of a robot squid hat.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

Empress Brosephine posted:

How do I "investigate security footage" game just sends me in a loop

I'm not exactly sure which quest you're referring to, but have you tried scanning the thing you need to investigate? I got stuck on the "Shock Treatment" quest when it sent me to the medbay in Prodromos and I couldn't interact with it. Turns out I needed to scan it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fart City posted:

Honestly that's my biggest "missed opportunity" beef so far in the game. They make a big effort to draw attention to how unsettling it is that the Kett don't talk in the tutorial, only to kind of shrug that away. This being a whole new First Contact, having a major language barrier would have been a really interesting fold to add to the antagonists. Hell, it would almost act as an inverse on the Reapers, who tended to wax poetic at the drop of a robot squid hat.

Something they should've done is shot the Nexus idea in the head and just had everything based on the Hyperion. Why bring your own major galactic-center-of-power station when you should be meeting the locals? Whose to say they don't already have a galaxy-spanning civilization with their own Citadel analogue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

GET MY BELT SON posted:

What difficulty? I find them easy on normal, they're just loving tedious. It would be cool if you fought just one, but even the second one was annoying. The one on voeld was a little tricky because of life support.

I just use a high damage output sniper rifle and tech explosion the weak points. They have 3 basic attacks. The main beam (red aura) which gives you plenty of warning and can be escaped with a dodge->jump->dodge combo. The bombs you just need to get away from. You need to take cover from the cannon though, so never get too out in the open. When it spawns enemies kill them first, it seems to attack a lot less with them on the field.