Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

New Zealand can eat me posted:

I have figured out how to get my 2x16 DDR4-3000 CL15 to run at 2666 with DOCP enabled. Just enable it then manually set the speed from 3000 to 2666. What I don't understand is why the bios detects 15C but RYZEN MASTER is setting it to 16. I read a random amazon review that said Ryzen supposedly prefers even numbered CL timings, and had luck running their 3200 kit at CL14 instead of CL16. I have not had any success with that and attempting to do so results in me having to reset CMOS and start anew. I'm going to try the 4x8 kit again with this month's bios and see if that's good for anything tomorrow.

For whatever reason, with DOCP enabled, the manual processor clock settings in the BIOS don't seem to always apply. I have to go into RYZEN MASTER and manually increase the processor speed, in addition to copying over all of the memory settings from the read-only current profile, to the new profile I'm making, to prevent a restart (which it would want for changed memory settings).

Also, it's reporting at 1T for 2x16, shouldn't that be 2T? There are still situations when various screens in the bios don't even display consistent information, and I don't know if I can trust RYZEN MASTER or other utilities.

I have until April 15 to return either set of ram (2x16 DDR4-3000 CL15 and 4x8 DDR4-3200 CL16, both Corsair), if anyone has something they'd like me to attempt out of curiosity, let me know. I am anticipating eventually returning both and getting a stupid 3600 or 4000mhz pair. The problem is this essentially forces me to choose between gaming performance, and simply having a shitload of ram for when I'm compiling poo poo and encoding things/running VMs

Even going from 2133 to 2666 has been good for anywhere from 7 to 30!!! % increase in performance, less so in synthetic benchmarks, moreso in games. DiRT Rally really responded well to it. DO4M already ran great, but I'm seeing CPU frame times as low as 2.3ms as opposed to ~3.5 previously. That's actually insane IMO as that's potentially over 400FPS in what is IMO one of the best looking games out there (even though its capped at 200). So I guess AMD's claims of being "200hz VR ready" aren't that farfetched.

ASSUMING Dual GPU DX12 actually works out, I will eventually upgrade to a board with 2x16 PCI-E, I have a feeling that the Fury OC will make an excellent companion card to something like a Vega with 16 Compute units.

I also managed to break 14000 in Firestrike, which was just really satisfying if ultimately meaningless.

But this explains how people are throwing up 30,000 Multicore scores in Geekbench, 1 stick of 8GB ram set to an obscene speed. Assuming the ram is fast enough that it doesn't matter and a majority of the benefit comes from increased infinity fabric speeds??

Is there a guide to manually editing bios firmware somewhere? Like do people bindump and pick it apart, or just raw hex editing or what?

If anyone has had success with faster memory, specifically 2x16 or 4x16 sets >3200mhz with the ASUS PRIME B350 PLUS, do let me know.

Don't waste your breath telling me I'm wasting my time, I specifically bought this to keep myself busy with meaningless bullshit. Also going to ignore anyone who "lol AMD"'s, as this is the loving AMD thread and you should know better. Its not even a funny joke. There's real loving potential here

Go watch this video on Ryzen RAM OCing. Short version: The Ryzen memory controller is forcing 1T command rate, you need RAM using Samsung B die chips if you want to get decent timings on Ryzen, also if you want anything over 2666 your motherboard needs an external clock generator, only some of the high end X370 boards have that so 2666 is as high as you get on the ASUS PRIME B350 PLUS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

all this trouble for the least significant factor in your computer's performance

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Potato Salad posted:

all this trouble for the least significant factor in your computer's performance

Memory data rate has a very noticeable effect on FPS in some games, GTAV and TW3 being good examples where you can gain 10-15% FPS by going from DDR4-2400 to 3200.

Also it's gonna matter a lot for the datacenter versions of the chips where memory performance really matters.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Potato Salad posted:

AMD's infinity fabric runs at half the speed of your ram. Cranking that up as much as possible helps out with the bottleneck in there.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Go watch this video on Ryzen RAM OCing. Short version: The Ryzen memory controller is forcing 1T command rate, you need RAM using Samsung B die chips if you want to get decent timings on Ryzen, also if you want anything over 2666 your motherboard needs an external clock generator, only some of the high end X370 boards have that so 2666 is as high as you get on the ASUS PRIME B350 PLUS.

That doesn't make any sense because it shows up as 2T sometimes!!! Also they literally list speeds up to 3200mhz in the specifications, and there are at least a few sets of ram out there that will DOCP 3200mhz, iirc one is for sure listed in the QVL.

Maxwell Adams posted:

AMD's infinity fabric runs at half the speed of your ram. Cranking that up as much as possible helps out with the bottleneck in there.

Came here to say this. Potato Salad is wrong, and should feel bad.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

That doesn't make any sense because it shows up as 2T sometimes!!! Also they literally list speeds up to 3200mhz in the specifications, and there are at least a few sets of ram out there that will DOCP 3200mhz, iirc one is for sure listed in the QVL.

Came here to say this. Potato Salad is wrong, and should feel bad.

I'm not saying that the Ryzen controller always forces 1T command rate, it just does that very often and many memory kits can't deal with that at higher speeds. And yeah, there are memory sets with DOCP profiles for high speeds, but they depend on a modified base clock to work, like the G-Skill kits need to run at around a 120MHz base clock to actually hit 3200 and to change the base clock you need an external clock generator which only some motherboards have, all of this was covered in the video.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

No but I'm talking about the QVL for my specific motherboard. That has confirmed working DOCP3200 profiles.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Potato Salad posted:

It has significant positive effects on minimum fps

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

No but I'm talking about the QVL for my specific motherboard. That has confirmed working DOCP3200 profiles.

Does your RAM come with those profiles and have they been specifically tested with your model of motherboard? I'm only seeing two kits, the Galaxy HOF4CALCS3600K17LD162C and the Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3600C18, both DDR4-3600 kits that are approved for your board with a Ryzen CPU at 3200MHz.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Does your RAM come with those profiles and have they been specifically tested with your model of motherboard? I'm only seeing two kits, the Galaxy HOF4CALCS3600K17LD162C and the Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3600C18, both DDR4-3600 kits that are approved for your board with a Ryzen CPU at 3200MHz.

Those do, yes, which invalidates everything you said above, which was primarily the point I was making. Regardless, we should see another bios patch before April 9th that will change all of this anyways.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Am I doing this right?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The CPU-Z benchmark is inaccurate for Ryzen, as it was made with 256MB L3 cache in mind and the Ryzen has 512MB. Other than that, neat. It is amusing that your CPU gets four times the cinebench score of my stock 3570K.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

The CPU-Z benchmark is inaccurate for Ryzen, as it was made with 256MB L3 cache in mind and the Ryzen has 512MB. Other than that, neat. It is amusing that your CPU gets four times the cinebench score of my stock 3570K.

Oh. :( Well good to know that cpuz one is bogus.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

BurritoJustice posted:

I really can't understand where people are coming from with this stuff, since actual workloads are not being designed around that.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BurritoJustice posted:

Cache sizes sure made a great leap forward since the morning, no?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Re-bench with faster rams and after the windows patch:

quote:

average of the averages
R7
  • 110.5 Avg
  • 80.2 1%
  • 72.1 0.1%
  • 109.3 avg
  • 76.1 1%
  • 62.8 0.1%

Source is some reddit post so I have no idea how legit this is but if true, AMD seems to be back on the menu even for a gaming rig?

I don't care much about the avg, but those 0.1 percentile numbers are very impressive. Makes me wonder what the poo poo watch doge is doing though :v:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Without knowing what graphics card was used a lot of these numbers may be gpu bottlenecks. I can't view the source video but the description on YouTube doesn't mention what graphics card is used.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Boiled Water posted:

Without knowing what graphics card was used a lot of these numbers may be gpu bottlenecks. I can't view the source video but the description on YouTube doesn't mention what graphics card is used.

He says it's a GTX 1070 clocked at 2200MHz with vram clocked at 8900MHz.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
e:fb

Agreed that the 1080 / Ti would have been more ideal.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

SwissArmyDruid posted:

e:fb

Agreed that the 1080 / Ti would have been more ideal.

Would have made the differences if any more pronounced.

I guess the take home is save $20, buy a 7700k.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Boiled Water posted:

Would have made the differences if any more pronounced.

I guess the take home is save $20, buy a 7700k.

If you had pure gaming in mind.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

wargames posted:

Unless you specifically know that you are going to be doing something that spreads well across cores - Ryzen is not the answer.

6-cores worth of Haswell-E at 4.5 GHz, sure, that's viable in both gaming and productivity tasks. But in gaming - depending on your memory situation, Ryzen may perform at/below Sandy Bridge levels. Its single-core performance is pretty terrible.

Again - remember that even Ryzen 1700 costs $320 per chip, which is 1700X pricing. I paid the same amount for a 5820K a year ago (before memory prices doubled) and I paid about a pretty decent chunk less than most Ryzen motherboards cost at launch ($140 minus $30 bundle discount). The 1700 is the only viable processor in the series at the current pricing.

Ryzen 1800X? uh, not worth it, to say the least, way to lay out a half grand for an Engineering Sample-quality processor with a poo poo-tier memory controller/interconnect. It's most definitely not worth laying out nearly twice what a 7700K costs. Which is the super funny part of all these Ryzen launch reviews - they're comparing against a 7700K processor that costs half as much in the main, while focusing on how it kinda sorta keeps up with Intel's $1000 competitor in certain situations.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 26, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

wargames posted:

We're talking about pure gaming benchmarks, it's at the forefront of my mind.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I think the Ryzen 5 6-cores with the high clocks out of the box (1600X, for example) are going to be much better value. When they refine the process more and get higher clocks out of these things, they're going to be good for every purpose.

Single core performance of Ryzen is NOT terrible. Bulldozer's single core performance is terrible.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 26, 2017

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

I think the Ryzen 5 6-cores with the high clocks out of the box (1600X, for example) are going to be much better value. When they refine the process more and get higher clocks out of these things, they're going to be good for every purpose.

Single core performance of Ryzen is NOT terrible. Bulldozer's single core performance is terrible.

From what we know the r5 isn't a better process just r7 with cores disabled.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

wargames posted:

From what we know the r5 isn't a better process just r7 with cores disabled.

I know, I'm simply suggesting that in future, if/when they do improve it to get the clocks up, it will be a formidable CPU.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I'm hopeful that zen+ or whatever terrible name they'll give it will be the actual gamechanger and not just a flotation device keeping team red afloat.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HalloKitty posted:

I know, I'm simply suggesting that in future, if/when they do improve it to get the clocks up, it will be a formidable CPU.

Ryzen 2.0 might be a lot better, ryzen 5 as it exists now is basically 4-core Bulldozer 2.0.

golly when I think about ryzen's problems right now it's probably the Infinity Fabric, how about we make those plebs buy a bunch of 2x2 core chips instead of the 4x0 chips that might actually perform decently against - say - their i5 competitors instead of - say - the $50 bulldozers we'll try to offer instead?

But I guess the fanbase will buy anything we pump out at the 4-core-for-$200 price point, right?

i guess we can always fix it next stepping, right boys?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 26, 2017

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Bulldozer 2.0 eh?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

That does seem like hyperbole.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It's more like a painting of haswell where the architecture was described by talking through a very long cloth, an infinite fabric if you will.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

Ryzen 2.0 might be a lot better, ryzen 5 as it exists now is basically 4-core Bulldozer 2.0.

golly when I think about ryzen's problems right now it's probably the Infinity Fabric, how about we make those plebs buy a bunch of 2x2 core chips instead of the 4x0 chips that might actually perform decently against - say - their i5 competitors instead of - say - the $50 bulldozers we'll try to offer instead?

But I guess the fanbase will buy anything we pump out at the 4-core-for-$200 price point, right?

i guess we can always fix it next stepping, right boys?

Too real, Paul. Dial it back a tad, buddy. Too real.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

B-Mac posted:

Bulldozer 2.0 eh?

hey bud - bearing in mind that the memory clock is intimately tied to this chip's perfromance - is there any hint yet this chip might be able to, say, reliably achieve the standard DDR4-3000 CL15 clocks that are actually available in commodity gaming memory?

it's only been what, two months since launch? There is like one memory kit officially approved for this architecture now, right? Otherwise you get to slum it up at like DDR3-1600 speeds, right? And this also is a design feature that happens to cripple this architecture?

if only there was an "interconnect fabric" that was bottlenecking us on these slowdowns, man that would be terrible

(it'll probably be fixed in the next serious stepping/revision tho)

wargames posted:

That does seem like hyperbole.

Do you actually care to offer a launch price for 2x2 Ryzen 5 then? 8-core Ryzen is $320, let's hear your launch price for 4-core. Significantly less than $200? For something that competes with a Pentium G4650 in gaming?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 26, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I clearly need to do reading on infinity fabric and not carry over performance concepts from Intel chips.

AMD performance really is tied to ram frequency in a stronger way than intel's "get to this line and anything faster is just diminishing returns" ?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
I really don't see any real problem with 1700x for gaming at all and it has that benefit of being able to handle everything else that grown rear end people do on their computer as well. Seems like a fine offering to me.
I do wonder how large is the audience of people who see higher min fps and lower frametimes at settings you usually play at but then see max fps being lower(but still perfectly fine) and decide that means something bad?

I do understand benching at lowest settings/resolution to really see what you can squeeze out of it but does that even corelate to anything when you consider real life user experience for the average user(barring cases when a chip really bombs in said benchmarks ofc)?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TheCoach posted:

I do understand benching at lowest settings/resolution to really see what you can squeeze out of it but does that even corelate to anything when you consider real life user experience for the average user(barring cases when a chip really bombs in said benchmarks ofc)?

Turns out that no, not really. The idea of going low resolution and settings was, as far as I can tell, to emulate what happens when gpus get ever faster, supposedly so you know better how your poo poo will perform next year when you buy that beefy gpu that puts out so many frames.

But some dude then found out that this isn't the case at all and the bulldozer shitshow of a chip that was 10% behind sandy bridge in games is now 10% ahead in real world scenarios. It's still behind at low resolutions and settings, though, so low resolution testing tells you how your junk will perform at low resolution in 5 years pretty accurately.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Do you actually care to offer a launch price for 2x2 Ryzen 5 then? 8-core Ryzen is $320, let's hear your launch price for 4-core. Significantly less than $200? For something that competes with a Pentium G4650 in gaming?

Since it isn't out yet i can't provide any benchmarks to disprove your claims 4 core zen is just another bulldozer.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Simulated 4 Core Ryzens, using the setup AMD is claiming will be for sale, are slightly behind the 6 and 8 core Ryzens CPU's and it consistently beats the Pentiums and i3s while sitting at a very competitive price. These benchmarks are in this thread, done by a reviewer Paul has trusted; he's just legit trolling or hyperventilating, I can't tell which, Poe's Law and all.

4 threads or even 4 cores are becoming a bottleneck nowadays and I seriously can't recommend an i3 or i5 due to Ryzen because of this. Pentium has a place because all signs point to AMD having no low end answer until RR and R3.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
So, tell me which one of these is closer to true, because I'm not pulling a clear message here:

A: Ryzen will sort out its hiccups in time, and will be a better choice than Intel for 16 thread use cases in price and maybe even performance.

B: Ryzen will remain finicky and Intel will be a one-time "I don't feel like loving with this" tax away from equivalent performance, while dodging a dozen problems that could bring what you're doing to a screeching halt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Wulfolme posted:

So, tell me which one of these is closer to true, because I'm not pulling a clear message here:

Nobody is. You'll just have to wait and see like the rest of us. Flip a coin if it makes you feel better.

• Locked thread