Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bass Bottles posted:

It's not just people being displaced by rising water levels. It's stuff like the California drought which will only get worse and bigger over time. More extreme storms. More frequent flooding.

Those people holding the cardboard signs saying the end is near had to be right eventually ha ha ha :smith: It's gonna be us and it's gonna be miserable.
The end is near - better buy a diesel and supercharge it, for your 40 mile commute to work in the city every day.

Bonus points if you install a coal-rolling switch to fart on hybrid cars.

One thing people are not taking into account with this "well gently caress it - won't happen in my lifetime!" poo poo, is that the costs of insuring your own property are skyrocketing almsot as fast as medical costs. And once you end up in an area with a lot of mudslides, it'll rise even higher because you basically are suffering from a pre-existing condition so you'll probably get your policy dropped anyway. One day someone's going to try and bomb an insurance company building instead of a post office, and that will be an indicator that things have gotten really bad.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

DoggPickle posted:

Currently, but we'll adapt. That's what we do. Of course in this case CHANGE is going to be expensive and irritating, but change is not inherently bad. It just becomes the new normal. The more frequent and freakier storms and other weather events will probably be the biggest problem for most Americans, alongside slightly higher food prices, but it's not going to change that much during our lifetimes. It's not like we can't all afford plenty of food as it is. (I'm not discounting the broke and homeless, just on average we can afford plenty of food) That's all I'm saying.
Here's the thing though: a lot of our ability to adapt depends on a functioning government enacting policy with at least some basis in reality. We don't have that right now. Instead we have a gigantic grifting operation run by sociopaths to the furious applause of the very constituents they're loving over the hardest. The neglect suffered by the EPA, FEMA and the like under previous Republican administrations was bad enough, but Trump's administration seems determined to throw their weight behind making things worse on every conceivable axis.

You already know the EPA is being fed into the wood chipper. Here's a couple other choice items from the budget: the National Flood Insurance Program is to be 'restructured' (what that means is left as an exercise to the reader, but I know where my money is); the Flood Hazard Mapping Program that makes flood maps available to homeowners? Gone. We've still got a bunch of real expensive satellites monitoring the climate, but we're no longer going to be collecting and publishing the data. A good businessman recognizes the sunk cost fallacy, you see. Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, to help low-income households afford heat in our increasingly freaky weather? Gone. And then we're privatizing air traffic control, just for shits and giggles.

I don't disagree with the notion that the United States is better positioned to weather the storm than the rest of the world, but I think you're underestimating both the farcically pointless suffering the Republicans want to inflict, and the instability that could result. Faced with the fallout of late stage free market capitalism, American elected Donald Trump. Christ knows who we'll turn to when things keep getting worse.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

coyo7e posted:

One day someone's going to try and bomb an insurance company building instead of a post office, and that will be an indicator that things have gotten really bad.

that seems like a much smarter move now, post offices at least provide a useful service

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Rangpur posted:

Here's the thing though: a lot of our ability to adapt depends on a functioning government enacting policy with at least some basis in reality. We don't have that right now. Instead we have a gigantic grifting operation run by sociopaths to the furious applause of the very constituents they're loving over the hardest. The neglect suffered by the EPA, FEMA and the like under previous Republican administrations was bad enough, but Trump's administration seems determined to throw their weight behind making things worse on every conceivable axis.

You already know the EPA is being fed into the wood chipper. Here's a couple other choice items from the budget: the National Flood Insurance Program is to be 'restructured' (what that means is left as an exercise to the reader, but I know where my money is); the Flood Hazard Mapping Program that makes flood maps available to homeowners? Gone. We've still got a bunch of real expensive satellites monitoring the climate, but we're no longer going to be collecting and publishing the data. A good businessman recognizes the sunk cost fallacy, you see. Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, to help low-income households afford heat in our increasingly freaky weather? Gone. And then we're privatizing air traffic control, just for shits and giggles.

I don't disagree with the notion that the United States is better positioned to weather the storm than the rest of the world, but I think you're underestimating both the farcically pointless suffering the Republicans want to inflict, and the instability that could result. Faced with the fallout of late stage free market capitalism, American elected Donald Trump. Christ knows who we'll turn to when things keep getting worse.

Yeah, this is my big fear. There's a real chance Trump will flame out and resign in disgrace after a year or two, but he basically exposed the fact that if a populist fascist wants to take us to fascism, they absolutely will be able to. Once things get really bad due to climate change, fascism seems inevitable.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Rangpur posted:

Oh, I completely agree with you. I just don't know what to do about it other than weather the 4 year storm (hehe didn't really mean that as a double point, but I made myself giggle, cuz I'm a dork). If we're lucky, his insanity will come out in some fantastical way that will lead to his impeachment or "flame-out" as Bass Bottles called it.

It's a little bit frustrating that people are already getting irritated at people like Bill and John Oliver spending much of their time talking about Trump ALREADY, and it's only been a few months. What are they supposed to do? If they don't keep pointing it out constantly, then the crazy becomes normal. And we've got 4 more years of this poo poo. His appointments alone are basically a hair's breath away from actual treason, and yet that still doesn't move people to get rid of this idiot at absolutely any cost? Is there literally anything he could do at all that would outrage people? He's set the standard so freakin' low, that there's almost nothing left. He'd have to punch a cripple in the face and then laugh about how fun it was, to even make his fans ticked at this point. I think the slightly boring and un-funny shows that are coming out are a representation of this basic frustration.

You can't just say that he's completely insane and this whole thing is nuts, over and over and over. But what else do you say?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bass Bottles posted:

Yeah, this is my big fear. There's a real chance Trump will flame out and resign in disgrace after a year or two, but he basically exposed the fact that if a populist fascist wants to take us to fascism, they absolutely will be able to. Once things get really bad due to climate change, fascism seems inevitable.

"Benevolent fascism is the ideal form of government"

e: oh God this episode is BAAAAAD. Maher is fart-huffing at an insane rate "It's also the teachers and the parents who don't raise their loving brats right" he literally said this

precision fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 19, 2017

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

precision posted:

e: oh God this episode is BAAAAAD. Maher is fart-huffing at an insane rate "It's also the teachers and the parents who don't raise their loving brats right" he literally said this

Haha this was one line that I actually found funny. I was kind of vacuuming during a bunch of the episode but I specifically remember that line as something I laughed at. Kids are sparkly little assholes these days; they don't understand the scientific method and how to have an actual conversation, and it's entirely their teacher's and parent's fault.

*edit* I added teachers at the last second and I'm still completely doubting that my grammar was correct. Should it be teachers' and parents' faultS? If you run it backwards, it would still be the singular FAULT of the teachers and parents. Now I've confused myself and I do not like it. Not at all. :downs:

DoggPickle fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 19, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Facebook has done more to retard healthy social interaction learning than anything, if we're being completely honest. It's staggering how often younger people will post a picture, and the picture is just words like "YOU LEFT ME AND NOW I'M SAD", rather than just... uh... typing out a post about how they feel. I feel like "lazy" isn't even a strong enough word to cover whatever that is.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

precision posted:

Facebook has done more to retard healthy social interaction learning than anything, if we're being completely honest. It's staggering how often younger people will post a picture, and the picture is just words like "YOU LEFT ME AND NOW I'M SAD", rather than just... uh... typing out a post about how they feel. I feel like "lazy" isn't even a strong enough word to cover whatever that is.

My birthday was last week, and one of my oldest friends typed (well because FB makes you do it, basically) "HBD"

I was like "I thought I was lazy" and she laughed and apologized. Still, I'm with you. If I make a post that I personally think is very interesting or at least useful like I just got Amazon Fresh and I was outlining the pro's and con's etc, and asking about other people's experiences, I get maybe a couple likes and maybe someone reads it and comments. If I post a video of my Dog with her tongue sticking out, I get 100 likes and 20 comments. Don't get me started about BABIES.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

precision posted:

Maybe society was always retarded and just didn't have the proper means to poo poo post.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's not the sense of the word "retard" I was using, but also, you're probably right.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Tr33 posted:

Maybe society was always retarded and just didn't have the proper means to poo poo post.

At least there was a time when a poo poo post cost 1/50th your monthly income to send, and took two weeks to get there. I am old enough to remember sending actual letters. They were kid-versions of letters to friends that had moved, but they still took thought and time and $.20 or whatever to send.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
New Rules was horrible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DoggPickle posted:

At least there was a time when a poo poo post cost 1/50th your monthly income to send, and took two weeks to get there. I am old enough to remember sending actual letters. They were kid-versions of letters to friends that had moved, but they still took thought and time and $.20 or whatever to send.

Flamewars by post were truly amazing:

quote:

I concur with you strictly in your opinion of the comparative merits of atheism and demonism, and really see nothing but the latter in the being worshipped by many who think themselves Christians.

I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

The whole history of these books [the Gospels] is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills.

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus.

Priests dread the advance of science as witches do the approach of daylight and scowl on the fatal harbinger announcing the subversions of the duperies on which they live.

Among the sayings and discourses imputed to him [Jesus] by his biographers, I find many passages of fine imagination, correct morality, and of the most lovely benevolence; and others again of so much ignorance, so much absurdity, so much untruth, charlatanism, and imposture, as to pronounce it impossible that such contradictions should have proceeded from the same being.

And that man's name? Thomas Jefferson.

It's truly miraculous the means by which modern Christians have concocted from whole cloth the narrative that the founding fathers would agree with, well, anything that Fundamentalists believe.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

DoggPickle posted:

Currently, but we'll adapt. That's what we do.

I cant believe I got far enough in this poo poo poo poo sequel to see this, but every time someone starts praying to the science gods for an answer, I see this play in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWOO_zlbpmk

To rephrase a statement made by the Architect, featured in another lovely sequel (matrix), "what levels of survival are we willing to accept?"

precision posted:

"Benevolent fascism is the ideal form of government"

Yeah, and the new set/music is terrible. I think there was more to Bill's quote about getting old than he wanted there to be. I think he's feeling ready to retire, and more of his insufferable ego is being displayed.

precision posted:

It's truly miraculous the means by which modern Christians have concocted from whole cloth the narrative that the founding fathers would agree with, well, anything that Fundamentalists believe.

:agreed: with an added helping of frustration for having said this before, only to receive horrified denial in return.

Solvent fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 20, 2017

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Solvent posted:

I cant believe I got far enough in this poo poo poo poo sequel to see this, but every time someone starts praying to the science gods for an answer, I see this play in my head.

I was attempting to say that we have three choices, die of overpopulation, STOP the overpopulation, or there will be some science miracle that will change the basic premise. I don't really care because I'll be long dead, but the possibility is still there. It's not something to count on, but it's possible.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

precision posted:

That whole segment really got to me as I think Maher was particularly lacking self-awareness. If he were to go back and look at his segment with Milo it should be apparent that having him on had no tangible benefit except for giving yet another platform to someone far out on the idiotic fringe. I definitely don't agree with the violence committed by the people who co-opted the Berkeley protest but I think those college students are well within their right to (peacefully) protest a speaker that they feel shouldn't be given a platform. At some point you have to ask yourself, what can you really gain from debating someone who is basically a Nazi?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Unfortunately nobody who goes on Maher's show knows him well enough to point out the hypocrisy, and ask him if he always supported Westboro and scolded the people who resisted them.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

There's cave paintings dating back to the dawn of mankind in which Ugh bemoans kids these days and their lack of appreciation for spitting firepit ash mixed with aurochs blood onto cave walls the way HIS generation did.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ochowie posted:

That whole segment really got to me as I think Maher was particularly lacking self-awareness. If he were to go back and look at his segment with Milo it should be apparent that having him on had no tangible benefit except for giving yet another platform to someone far out on the idiotic fringe. I definitely don't agree with the violence committed by the people who co-opted the Berkeley protest but I think those college students are well within their right to (peacefully) protest a speaker that they feel shouldn't be given a platform. At some point you have to ask yourself, what can you really gain from debating someone who is basically a Nazi?

according to maher him giving milo yabbadabbadopolis a platform raised his profile sufficiently to cause people to find out he's nambla but for real so you're welcome liberals

Tr33
May 26, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

according to maher him giving milo yabbadabbadopolis a platform raised his profile sufficiently to cause people to find out he's nambla but for real so you're welcome liberals

Wasn't it normal mainstream conservatives who don't really follow twitter the ones who ended up sacking him?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Maher: "I mean gosh, if only there was a platform for Muslims to speak truth to power and show solidarity as Americans against the tide of xenophobia and suspicion, but where are they, they need to take responsibility..."
Me: "SO HOST SOME MUSLIM SPOKESPEOPLE ON YOUR SHOW AND QUIT BITCHING TO CELEBRITIES AND PUNDITS WHO HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ISSUE"

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

Yeah because literally causing a riot and being banned from Twitter wasn't a high enough profile before.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maher licking Milo's taint with the whole "FREE SPEECH WORKS BOTH WAYS YOU STUPID COLLEGE BABIES" was almost magically tone deaf. Sure, invite a Grand Wizard of the KKK to speak at Sarah Lawrence, go for it. I'm sure that literally anyone else wouldn't be more helpful. Yeah Bill, let's see what Ben Affleck has to say about Muslims. And Sam Harris at the same time, why not? They're equally unqualified and wrongheaded so Maher can sit in the middle and mug for the camera. Ugh.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Ochowie posted:

Yeah because literally causing a riot and being banned from Twitter wasn't a high enough profile before.

I was barely aware of him before he was announced as a guest on Real Time.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

precision posted:

Maher licking Milo's taint with the whole "FREE SPEECH WORKS BOTH WAYS YOU STUPID COLLEGE BABIES" was almost magically tone deaf. Sure, invite a Grand Wizard of the KKK to speak at Sarah Lawrence, go for it. I'm sure that literally anyone else wouldn't be more helpful. Yeah Bill, let's see what Ben Affleck has to say about Muslims. And Sam Harris at the same time, why not? They're equally unqualified and wrongheaded so Maher can sit in the middle and mug for the camera. Ugh.

Yep. In general I find comedians bitching about free speech absolutely loving insufferable. They always seem to have the opinion that free speech means they must be provided a venue for their shifty opinions or if you find a joke not funny or offensive it's your fault for violating their right to free speech.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I love how Bill Maher's opener for new rules was like "See what I mean? You didn't laugh at the Muslim joke like the others because of politically correct liberalism." :smuggo:

No, people didn't laugh because it wasn't funny.

Space Fish posted:

Maher: "I mean gosh, if only there was a platform for Muslims to speak truth to power and show solidarity as Americans against the tide of xenophobia and suspicion, but where are they, they need to take responsibility..."
Me: "SO HOST SOME MUSLIM SPOKESPEOPLE ON YOUR SHOW AND QUIT BITCHING TO CELEBRITIES AND PUNDITS WHO HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ISSUE"

The thing is though is that when he does do that, they call him out on his bullshit and he gets mad.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"I would, but Ayaan Hirsi Ali was busy this week and couldn't come on to endlessly agree with me and tell me I don't hate Muslims *enough*!"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 21, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Space Fish posted:

tbf once in a blue moon he brings out rula jebreal to get yelled at by some republican ex-congressman turned defense lobbyist from east shitfuck arkansas

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Maybe just maybe, there arent a ton of muslim spokespeople clamoring to go on his show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I wonder why that would be.

I actually do remember some muslim lady going on the show not too long ago.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

drat this weeks episode was almost good until Bill decided to step on his own Islamophobic dick

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

Tr33 posted:

drat this weeks episode was almost good until Bill decided to step on his own Islamophobic dick

drat, and I like Max Brooks too. I've been less likely to watch the show lately, but it would be nice to see a good episode again.

I did however watch Overtime and he didn't understand the Indonesia question at all, which is why he got all flustered and abruptly ended the discussion in a hissy fit. if he wants to rant about false equivalencies, then how about : not all Muslims are the same, not all Muslim majority countries are the same, and not even cultures and ethnic groups within those countries are the same. The reason we aren't having issues with Indonesians is because we aren't invading their loving country. They are playing ball with us when it comes to oil, so there is no war with Indonesia. In this age of Trump, he seems bizarrely more determined than ever to rant about Islam. And call me crazy, but it sure sounded like he was arguing the same poo poo alt-right people argue when it comes to immigration when comparing Jewish, Catholic, and Muslim immigrants to European countries.

Is he still a stoner? I swear he has been acting more and more like a short tempered aggro coke head lately. The yelling, freaking out, flailing his arms around, "gently caress you" to the audience when they don't laugh at his jokes. He wasn't like that that on Politically Incorrect or the early seasons of Real Time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Tr33 posted:

Jesus, he went full loving Stormfront about it too. Awful.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Gimmedaroot posted:

And call me crazy, but it sure sounded like he was arguing the same poo poo alt-right people argue when it comes to immigration when comparing Jewish, Catholic, and Muslim immigrants to European countries.

Is he still a stoner? I swear he has been acting more and more like a short tempered aggro coke head lately. The yelling, freaking out, flailing his arms around, "gently caress you" to the audience when they don't laugh at his jokes. He wasn't like that that on Politically Incorrect or the early seasons of Real Time.

I kind of get it to a degree. I mean he's absolutely operating out of a place of fear and yeah right wing groups love using that fear to justify whatever deeds. With how much crazier everything seems to be since 9/11 it really is hard sometimes to take a step back and try to look at all the events that's led to the current political climate even when that's kinda your job. It also seems fairly typical of an atheist these days to look at islam as the big bad especially when they've been kinda normalized to all the crazy poo poo Christians do. Which is kinda ironic considering they spent a good bit of the episode saying "hey don't normalize this poo poo."

As for the coke thing he is a rich Hollywood liberal so it's probably not out of the realm of possibility but fear has alot of the same symptoms. Infact one can enable the other pretty easily but who knows.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gimmedaroot posted:

Yeah, but he's just an old, increasingly racist, stoner now.

Episode was good until he decided to have a grandpa moment about those spooooooky moose limbs.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

Tr33 posted:

It also seems fairly typical of an atheist these days to look at islam as the big bad especially when they've been kinda normalized to all the crazy poo poo Christians do. Which is kinda ironic considering they spent a good bit of the episode saying "hey don't normalize this poo poo."

As for the coke thing he is a rich Hollywood liberal so it's probably not out of the realm of possibility but fear has alot of the same symptoms. Infact one can enable the other pretty easily but who knows.

Good points.

Hate crimes may make the news, but they don't move anyone in the media and pop culture to call for passing stricter laws than those that fall under current "federal hate crime" laws. Those against hate crime laws say it puts the victim in a special category and goes against thought crimes, and gets shouted down by libertarians. But if you're a Muslim, good luck at the airport.

I remember vividly after the Oklahoma City bombing, and the first news story I watched on it was about the Muslim population in Oklahoma and what their motives might be. I was watching Politically Incorrect then in its early years, but I don't remember Maher saying anything against Muslims, and he was much more vocal about being a Libertarian (capital L, not just pro-weed). When Timothy McVeigh was captured people just kind of shrugged it off as "oh well, a patriot gone rogue because he read The Turner Diaries". What are they going to do, racial and religious profiling of rednecks?

My comment about a possible coke habit wasn't about fear and politics, it was just about Maher's personality shift lately. He just seems to act more like a jerk even when I agree with him, which is dwindling with each season. Like the time he had on Jerry Seinfeld and they complained about college students: they aren't their target demographic! I just don't see most young people these days are down with that kind of Don Rickles-Dean Martin Roast crude-but-playful bigot humor that took off with Frank Sinatra and The Rat Pack. Ask Sarah Silverman why she's toned down lately after being called a female Don Rickles. If people don't find you funny, don't get angry with them.

Maybe you are right about fear, its just fear of being irrelevant. He should take Susan Sarandon's advice and smoke more Indica so he can chill the gently caress out.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The only thing that makes me once with these discussions is people who mix up bigotry against a religion with racism. You can't change your race, you can't change your gender alignment, and we've become increasingly accepting of the idea that you can't change who you're sexually attracted to. Which invisible ageless being in the sky you want to believe actually exists is something people do actually change if they feel inclined. You can't make black people white, you can't turn ciswomen into cismen or trans women into cismen for that matter. But people leave their church all the time.

Now, no society that has demanded that people reconsider their Invisible Ageless Being decisions has ever turned out well. But if you believe stuff like "Islam punishes leaving the faith by death" (and I've actually heard that one from bigots, though I don't know the background behind it) then you feel more justified forcefully pushing people to reconsider their Invisible Ageless Being In The Clouds allegiance.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 25, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Well if you want to get all pedantic about it, Bill is really just more culturally xenophobic than racist or islamaphobic, but I feel like racist is a good enough shorthand for it since I bet he doesn't have near the problem with, say Muhammad Ali, as he does any given resident of the middle east.

His whole 51% rhetoric is illustrative of this. As is handwaving the IRA, etc.

There's a lot of words to be written about post-colonialism and oil-fueled fascism corrupting and retarding the middle east's culture resulting in all this mess but Bill just chooses to laser focus on the religion because he hates religion. A dude said allahu akbar before whatever terrorist attack, Bill points out. They say allahu akbar for loving everything. I took a radical dump allahu akbar. It's not the greater pursuit of violently spreading islam, it's just what you say. Imagine the "gently caress" scene from The Wire, you know the one, it's NWS for tits or I'd embed the youtube of it.

So imma call him a racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gimmedaroot posted:

The reason we aren't having issues with Indonesians is because we aren't invading their loving country. They are playing ball with us when it comes to oil, so there is no war with Indonesia.

also our decades of supporting their right wing dictatorships