Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aramek posted:

I can't understand not voting, so I'm all for making it mandatory.

tony abbott

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Like, Australia has mandatory voting, and it hasn't fixed poo poo, so I don't know why people want it here.

I'm not normally a "freedom!" type person, but the freedom to not vote is just as important as the freedom to vote.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just make it easier to vote, problem solved. There are still places in the country where you waste half your day waiting in line. Mailing it in is so easy.

Also the electoral college makes voting in places like California or Texas pointless.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
That sounds silly, citizen.

The freedom part especially.

But the "it's not flawless which means we don't want it" is especially dumb. Australia's system is way, way better than ours, they can still make bad decisions, but that doesn't invalidate the overwhelming superiority of mandatory + instant runoff preferential voting.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

vintagepurple posted:

PHUO: the gently caress is America the country and who is trumpeting that?
"America the country" is the United States of America. The country commonly referred to as "America". And if you don't think Americans are ludicrously patriotic, I don't know what you're comparing them to.

WampaLord posted:

I'm not normally a "freedom!" type person, but the freedom to not vote is just as important as the freedom to vote.
We have the freedom to not vote in Australia.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Americans are not ludicrously patriotic. Nor are they jingoistic or nationalistic. They are simply correct. Americans think their country is the greatest on Earth, and that is simply an obvious fact easily deduced by even the most cursory observation of empirical reality.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It all really depends on how you define greatness, but the original point stands.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Any restriction on voting is unAmerican and should be a red flag that the person advocating such laws are massive pieces of poo poo deserving of only contempt.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

American tourists are delightful. Yes they are loud, poorly dressed, and sometimes a touch demanding but the majority of them are friendly, good tippers, and actually willing to try things. I love chatting with them, they'll just come up to you and strike up a conversation because they seem genuinely interested in your city and want some local perspective. Sure I'll roll my eyes at their socks and sandals or their complete inability to ever adjust the volume of their voices, but on average they're fine.

English tourists though are perhaps on average the worst in the world.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Blue Star posted:

Americans are not ludicrously patriotic. Nor are they jingoistic or nationalistic. They are simply correct. Americans think their country is the greatest on Earth, and that is simply an obvious fact easily deduced by even the most cursory observation of empirical reality.

They/we are the best at some things but not so great at a lot of other things. I think the more rational stance is that we are in the top tier of places to live but still have a lot of room for improvement.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My unpopular opinion is that I believe that Germany unreasonably hates us despite publicly being one of our strongest allies. I have lived here for almost 2 years and I have never felt less welcome while just existing. In switzerland there was some mild anti-americanism but it went away the second you talked to them in their language and made it known you're not just a stereotypical fanny packed american tourist, but even among my coworkers in germany I sense a deep loathing of america.

i think my most radical opinion is that i think germany should have stopped existing as a remotely coherent political entity post-ww ii and ought to have been reverted to a HRE-style existence for perpetuity, and probably should have been given no marshall plan aid either while still holding the fractured statelets accountable for their share of the reparations (to be pulled from tapping natural resources if necessary), so that the surviving german political entities would know what it's like being small, poor and ultimately just being a pebble tossed about irreverently by the slightest ripples and whims of larger empires for the longterm future instead of just rising to power again well within living memory to pretty much push around smaller countries with self-serving policies once again; like the one time in history major international atrocities occurred where a meaningful political entity was called to answer for its unequivocal crimes and the punishment(s) amounted to a slap on the wrist compared to the damage wrought, a punishment kept lenient by ulterior motives to keep the country strong and would've probably been even more lenient still had the country not been half-occupied by another party to justify a brief split

that's speaking as someone extracted from a trash-tier euro country that's historically been volley-balled between bigger empires, that received no rebuilding effort and still has almost no voice in matters, and as someone whose personal family tree was pruned to just a single pair of shoots thanks to nazis who acted almost unequivocally with the consent and knowledge of the german people (and absolutely unequivocally of its government's) so i'm aware of my bias here

Das Boo posted:

I like how this post can apply to both Trump and Obama.

and as food for thought, the real keys to a trump win came through people that had voted for obama in past elections

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Collective punishment is good, enough wrongs make a right?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

do you think the original terms were designed to squeeze out a right from that mess

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

People nowadays tend to take everything much too seriously and need to go back to the mindset the general human population had before 2012.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You can't be politically Pro Life and also a good person.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The US, Russia, even Israel all hired nazi war criminals after the war, no one gave a poo poo about "justice". There's no justice in the world but if you broke up germany for WWII you'd have to break up the US for their own genocides and then pretty much every country on earth for their own historical atrocities and imperialism. Maybe that would be a good shake up for the world, smash the state and all.

I'd say half the country suffering decades under soviet rule and the whole country being brought to ruins is "punishment" enough. Collectively punishing a country works about as well as the US prison system. Rehabilitation works a lot better.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

The US, Russia, even Israel all hired nazi war criminals after the war, no one gave a poo poo about "justice". There's no justice in the world but if you broke up germany for WWII you'd have to break up the US for their own genocides and then pretty much every country on earth for their own historical atrocities and imperialism. Maybe that would be a good shake up for the world, smash the state and all

If the original American colonists had met an organized, resistant indigenous people in the Americas who stopped their efforts cold, brought them to international court and proved both wrongful invasion and the crimes like the knowing use of insidious methods such as intentional epidemic infection to indiscriminately kill swathes of people for political advantage I definitely would not call it unfair in the slightest if the indigenous people sued for collective dissolution of the colonies and demanded major reparations for damages wrought. Unfortunately that's not how things played out - there was no similar opportunity for making amends.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Jastiger posted:

poo poo guys, I almost think I agree with Jastiger

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm fully in the Pro-Choice camp.

Hello, are you the one pregnant?
No?
Then kindly stay out of someone else's personal life, as it doesn't impact you at all.

Same goes for same-sex couples.
What they do is none of your concern.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am pro choice, but that really isn't the same thing at all imphuo. In fact I'm pretty reluctantly pro choice because basic common sense says that having an abortion is either ending a human life or something that will become one. I will remain pro choice because I think it's better in the long run for everyone, but a lot of pro choice talking points are total bullshit.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, pro-choice is the sensible option, but it's annoying when people try to turn it into some pure virtuous stance rather than something grimly pragmatic.
See:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/12/20/lena-dunham-wishes-she-had-an-abortion.html

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ideally, humans would be genetically modified so they can become pregnant or terminate a pregnancy at will. Also be able to change sex. And have drug glands in their brain.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I don't "support"/like abortion and would find it very difficult (as I'm sure it is for many people too) to make such a decision, but no matter how I personally feel about it the government has no business taking away the right to make the choice. Plus the way I see it if people want an abortion they are going to get one whether it's legal or not. It's better for them to have a safe easy way as an option so they don't have to resort to more dangerous methods.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, pro-choice is the sensible option, but it's annoying when people try to turn it into some pure virtuous stance rather than something grimly pragmatic.
See:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/12/20/lena-dunham-wishes-she-had-an-abortion.html

Maybe being pragmatic IS virtuous when the alternative is religious bullshit masquerading as concern for other people.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah he sure colonized large swathes of North America.

Mexico: not north america

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So vaguely related to "if people want x, they will get x," I could never quite guess how legalizing all drugs would go down. Would it be a sudden spike in ODs before leveling out or just long-term chaos? Would violent crime rise or fall? Which cities would be the Meth Zones?
I need a Purge-style test run here.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

A lot of that depends on how they would be legalized. Maybe you could only get heroin in a government run clinic, for example. Also, very few pro drug legalization people want ALL drugs to be legal. If "bath salts" just makes people black out and get violent, that should still be illegal. No one is gonna want to do that if you can get better drugs at the drug store. The whole synthetic research chemical problem is a direct result of the drugs people actually wanna do being illegal and harder to get.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Aw, I don't think it'll ever really happen. It's just one of those "zombie outbreak" or "hey, aliens" daydreams. Woah, what would happen if...?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Jastiger posted:

I'd go further and argument that you can't be politically right wing and also a good person.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I will go all the way and say you can't be a person and be a truly good person.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can be a good person and still hold awful political views.

Not a perfect person, but good.

Also, I always ALMOST agree with jastiger but then he goes too far. Frex I don't think conservatives should be herded into camps, and I was born in the south. Mellow it down a bit imo jastiger.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I will go all the way and say you can't be a person and be a truly good person.

Agreed. :respek:

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I assume that anyone who argues for mandatory voting really does so because they assume that the great downtrodden masses will vote for their own side.

I'm glad that there is generally a relatively high voter-turnout here, because I think it means that people feel relatively involved and as if the political process is worth to try and influence in at least that basic way, and also simply that it is fairly easy to cast your vote in a practical sense; like a short distance for most people and no registration required. Making people vote simply under threat of a fine or whatever just seems as a way of fixing a problem in the most stupid way. Forcing people to do something under threat of being fined or whatever other sanction there may be doesn't make them more involved or feel less disenfranchised, I think.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Anyone who wants anything changed always does so because they think it will benefit them.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

vintagepurple posted:

You can be a good person and still hold awful political views.

Not a perfect person, but good.

Also, I always ALMOST agree with jastiger but then he goes too far. Frex I don't think conservatives should be herded into camps, and I was born in the south. Mellow it down a bit imo jastiger.

I never said that lol.

I almost wanted to say you cant be politically right wing and a good person, but thats not necessarily true. Some people just dont know any better and just like I can't condemn them for buying into myths and lies like Christianity, I can't necessarily condemn them for buying myths and lies like Reagan being cool and good or guns should be everywhere. It makes them wrong and often behave in super immoral ways but they arent necessarily evil all the time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How enlightened and benevolent of you.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

How enlightened and benevolent of you.

I like to give back to the community, you see.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jastiger posted:

I never said that lol.

I almost wanted to say you cant be politically right wing and a good person, but thats not necessarily true. Some people just dont know any better and just like I can't condemn them for buying into myths and lies like Christianity, I can't necessarily condemn them for buying myths and lies like Reagan being cool and good or guns should be everywhere. It makes them wrong and often behave in super immoral ways but they arent necessarily evil all the time.

How is pro life different than any of that stuff? It comes from the same place of ignorance as thinking other right wing crap is the answer. Like, I wouldn't say my family members who are pro life are bad people. It doesn't come from an evil place. They are just loving naive and stubborn and incapable of thinking about it in any terms other than "omg think of all the precious babies dying!"

Blissful ignorance is not a good character trait to have, but I think it's more complicated than just being "bad"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

oldpainless posted:

Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle

This is somehow the greatest troll and the vilest thing you can say to a lot of people. Like, all the anime communist and alt-right will :catstare: perk up and stop fighting about whether a system that managed to send a dog into space merely by killing millions of people was good or bad.