Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Regy Rusty posted:

No one knows for sure if they are actually DLC gates or if it's just Yoko Taro trolling us.
If it's the former i hope the DLCs just give you a bunch of entry tickets you literally have to carry to him and he'll take his sweet time checking it with a magnifying glass before waving you through. And knowing Yoko taro sometimes he'll just get it wrong and refuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Regy Rusty posted:

On the one hand there's a certain reliability to it. If you just keep running through the flooded area you will get some and it's just a matter of time.

But man it's boooorrrrriinggg

There is a door at the far end with an apologetic robot in front of it. You'll see him on your minimap. There's actually 2 more of them in the game as well. No one knows for sure if they are actually DLC gates or if it's just Yoko Taro trolling us.

Oh I thought there was only one of those guys. One in the desert, one in the flooded area, where's the last one?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh I thought there was only one of those guys. One in the desert, one in the flooded area, where's the last one?

Behind the waterfall in the forest

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How do you get Masamune registered in the Unit Data? I've met him but he is not there. Do I actually have to kill him?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How do you get Masamune registered in the Unit Data? I've met him but he is not there. Do I actually have to kill him?

Got a maxed out weapon? If not, maybe that. If so, not a clue. I've never killed him but I think I have him in there.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Speedstar is beatable with only maxed move speed from chips. I know because I did it. Every win was just barely by an inch.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

You have to max out one of the weapons with "white/black-sword of the east" in the description (I think both 2B and 9S's default weapons are one.) He'll fork over a new weapon and gets added to the Unit Data.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

By the end of the game you can buy all upgrade materials... except the ones exclusively for pod upgrades. Pure water and the gadgets are by far the most obnoxious. For the former you need 20 total and you literally must just keep running through the flooded district until you get them. For the latter you can get most of what you need from quest rewards, but unfortunately for elaborate gadgets you need to complete a quest that requires 95% unit data. For simple gadgets there's a list on the wiki of hidden harvest spots that can have them.

Righto, thanks. Guess it would have to have at least some non-buyable things.

He gives you a sword at some point, maybe when you upgrade a thing to max? His data mentions him giving it to you so I think it's probably that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I finished the game, all main endings, got kicked in the balls by the power of emotions. I am thankful my first experience of a Yoko Taro game is this one because I imagine grimmer endings would've turned me off his work (in a good way).

I'm also bummed as gently caress that SEA gets region-locked out of a PC port again. Maybe my data will be the only one from my country helping out a duder in need across the globe in a long time, but god speed anyway.

It's a good thing I didn't try to go crazy on the character-action aspect of this game though by playing Hard mode or whatever; it's certainly good, but I don't think it has the polish to stand to a dedicated character-action game. Not to mentioned the frequent genre-shifts to shooters does mess with the flow.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Alright, that's good to hear. It was already sad enough having to destroy the fun carnival tank for unit data.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I didn't kill the fun tank either but it actually drops a lore important item, the first machine core. The pod explains its like a plant cell, which means the machines are living things on the inside, despite looking so mechanical on the outside. Sure they are very basic lifeforms, but more alive in a literal sense then the androids.

The androids (Expect YoRHa blackboxes) on the flipside look and act 'alive' but only because they are programmed to do so. It's like the shades from Nier all over again, you think you are killing monsters in Nier and it turns out to be human souls and you're the monster. While in Automata you think you are just destroying machines, buts it turns out they are living things, and you're the machine.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've never not kicked the poo poo out of that tank, didn't even realise it was non aggro until the 5th or so time I crossed its path.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Monomythian posted:

I didn't kill the fun tank either but it actually drops a lore important item, the first machine core. The pod explains its like a plant cell, which means the machines are living things on the inside, despite looking so mechanical on the outside. Sure they are very basic lifeforms, but more alive in a literal sense then the androids.

The androids (Expect YoRHa blackboxes) on the flipside look and act 'alive' but only because they are programmed to do so. It's like the shades from Nier all over again, you think you are killing monsters in Nier and it turns out to be human souls and you're the monster. While in Automata you think you are just destroying machines, buts it turns out they are living things, and you're the machine.

I can't really agree with that at all delegitimizing the androids' being since the first Nier already established that any artificial humans, including androids are bound to develop souls eventually. Besides androids do seem to have biological components since they do bleed

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I didn't figure out that you had a quick access menu for items until I finished the game and tried to remember what the debug menu command was. I might have actually used all those buff items.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I couldn't figure out half the item buffs. They say stuff like "boost attack for 30 seconds" but then the buff actually goes away after 1 hit, or something. So I stopped using them because I didn't understand them.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Snak posted:

I couldn't figure out half the item buffs. They say stuff like "boost attack for 30 seconds" but then the buff actually goes away after 1 hit, or something. So I stopped using them because I didn't understand them.

I think that's the one if you don't attack for 30 seconds the weapon gains a buff for the next hit. It's meant as a strong opener.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What.
The.
gently caress.

Sorry skipping hundreds of posts just to pop in and say i just started route C and i'm not sure i was ready for Yoko Taro's Wild Ride.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The Dark Id posted:

You have to max out one of the weapons with "white/black-sword of the east" in the description (I think both 2B and 9S's default weapons are one.) He'll fork over a new weapon and gets added to the Unit Data.

I have both 9S' and 2B's default swords maxed out, and he hasn't given me any weapon yet.

EDIT: Got it. Turns out you have to talk to him twice without leaving his shop.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

a kitten posted:

What.
The.
gently caress.

Sorry skipping hundreds of posts just to pop in and say i just started route C and i'm not sure i was ready for Yoko Taro's Wild Ride.

Is anyone truly ready for a Yoko Taro experience?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
One of my favorite things in this game is running 2B into a bush and having her stumble like ugh whoah crap.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

It's a good thing I didn't try to go crazy on the character-action aspect of this game though by playing Hard mode or whatever; it's certainly good, but I don't think it has the polish to stand to a dedicated character-action game. Not to mentioned the frequent genre-shifts to shooters does mess with the flow.

Actually hard mode is good and fun. I haven't tried very hard yet though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm in the early game and there's a sidequest mark on the corner of a building in the city area that doesn't actually appear to point to anything - there's no one to talk to and nothing to check. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

I'm in the early game and there's a sidequest mark on the corner of a building in the city area that doesn't actually appear to point to anything - there's no one to talk to and nothing to check. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Are you sure it's not on the roof?

(is it by the entrance to the desert?)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well E is down. I've played quite a few games where you fight the credits, but this was the first one that actually made me feel emotions about it. Had to have a good scroll through the message bits at the end to make something that sounded nice and encouraging, but some of the mean ones made me laugh. Not wiping my data though. Still got things that need doing.

Just the secret boss and joke endings to go now. And a couple of Pod Programs I missed and the rest of the fishing and rare enemies. But I can go read a load of black bars now.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Oxxidation posted:

a few possibilities- make sure you're rotating and angling the map around to get the best idea where it actually is. The red dot markers are actually very accurate, but if you don't have the right angle it can look very inaccurate.

or, the guy is inside? like on top of the building in a little room

or, post-city attack it's the dead goliath. You stand on a little fallen building looking at his head and then talk

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Got two questions from about 75% through route C about a certain boss.

The whole thing with the big brother and little brother machines with the buckets, how come there were so many of the latter? Did it multiply somehow? Last, after you fight them as A2, can you just walk away? The game gives you control after you beat them but before the scene where you kill them but I've never tried walking away.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
(Ending E) Here's a guy who beat the end credits without help. It's a 2 hour video, and the part I was stuck on is like 30 minutes into ityoutube

edit: v thanks, I forget that it always autoparses links to videos into embedded. I still showed up as spoilered on mine, don't know why.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 25, 2017

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Snak posted:

(Ending E)

Spoilers aren't covering the video, might want to link it.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Finally clowned around post game in the chapter select to hit 100% weapons and 90%+ quests and finally going through the 6O sidequests i missed on my original route A is actually the first time i felt genuinely pissed at Yoko for knowing how that ends. Job well done on his part, the jerk. :smith:

I hope one of the DLCs will just be a Dating Sim out of nowhere, except at the end everyone still dies, of course.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Finally clowned around post game in the chapter select to hit 100% weapons and 90%+ quests and finally going through the 6O sidequests i missed on my original route A is actually the first time i felt genuinely pissed at Yoko for knowing how that ends. Job well done on his part, the jerk. :smith:

Remember to redo the bunker escape chapter now that you've beaten the flowers quest

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

HGH posted:

Got two questions from about 75% through route C about a certain boss.

The whole thing with the big brother and little brother machines with the buckets, how come there were so many of the latter? Did it multiply somehow? Last, after you fight them as A2, can you just walk away? The game gives you control after you beat them but before the scene where you kill them but I've never tried walking away.

Spoilers for the Route C boss

You can't leave, and if you wait long enough A2 gets super pissed to the point of shaking and murders them anyway, she comes off as a little bit more unnerved by it though.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Nina posted:

Remember to redo the bunker escape chapter now that you've beaten the flowers quest
gently caress no

you cant make me

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
9s streaming again https://www.twitch.tv/kylemccarley

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Aww man, I'm gonna miss this one.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Snak posted:

Aww man, I'm gonna miss this one.

Aw snap, cuz 2B just showed up

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... wait, you can hack and control the giant robots?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Supremezero posted:

... wait, you can hack and control the giant robots?

I'm pretty sure you can hack and control like almost anything. You can even hack while controlling another robot, which helps you get close to big robots if they're surrounded.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
To be able to control a robot you have to hack them while they're unaware of you.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
No, I get that, I'm just surprised you can control the huge ones.

Also, Kira Buckland calls 9S Nines, which is pretty amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
After getting through route B:

Yes, i'm back to 2-

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

edit: wait what happened to the ginormous hole in front of the resistance camp

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 25, 2017