Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

do u know jenny posted:

Can you imagine if it was reversed and Hillary had lost the popular vote but won the election?

Rush hedged his bets and did an episode where he talked about how the electoral college was stuffed with liberal elites and how we should prepare to dismantle it if they vote hillary in against the will of the people

A week or two after the election he did a section defending the electoral college against Democrats calls to get rid of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!

Son of Rodney posted:

The funniest thing is that even when the artist tries to make Trump look way better than he does, the hair still looks goddamn ridiculous.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
Oh and since I mentioned talk radio, I meant to post this when I heard it earlier in the week, but Herman Cain was talking about the Healthcare bill Tuesday or wednesday, and his little thing is he always calls ACA the UCA, the Unaffordable Care Act. Problem is, he's an addled old man and his show is a train wreck of mixed metaphors and half forgotten talking points, so he kept accidentally calling it the Universal Care Act, which was a nice lol.

If any of y'all ain't listened to the show, it's great and hilarious and only got better post-trump. I remember back in the day he was doing his News Nugget section, where he shouts NEWS NUGGET, a little trumpet mp3 plays, then he reads a headline from fox news. Rinse, repeat a dozen times, that's the whole section. Except one time the headline was about a person of the Jewish faith, so he said "JEWS NUGGET! *trumpets* HAHAHAHA. We can cut that, right?" and you can hear his producer quietly and sadly saying "no..."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bareback Werewolf posted:

I hope we can get the same kind of lols with Republican's tax reform plan.

It'd be nice, but I doubt it. If there's anything that will unite the GOP it's loving over poors and the middle class while giving massive tax breaks to the wealthy.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

Oh and since I mentioned talk radio, I meant to post this when I heard it earlier in the week, but Herman Cain was talking about the Healthcare bill Tuesday or wednesday, and his little thing is he always calls ACA the UCA, the Unaffordable Care Act. Problem is, he's an addled old man and his show is a train wreck of mixed metaphors and half forgotten talking points, so he kept accidentally calling it the Universal Care Act, which was a nice lol.

If any of y'all ain't listened to the show, it's great and hilarious and only got better post-trump. I remember back in the day he was doing his News Nugget section, where he shouts NEWS NUGGET, a little trumpet mp3 plays, then he reads a headline from fox news. Rinse, repeat a dozen times, that's the whole section. Except one time the headline was about a person of the Jewish faith, so he said "JEWS NUGGET! *trumpets* HAHAHAHA. We can cut that, right?" and you can hear his producer quietly and sadly saying "no..."

and that's another lol

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

scrubs season six posted:

It'd be nice, but I doubt it. If there's anything that will unite the GOP it's loving over poors and the middle class while giving massive tax breaks to the wealthy.

This is actually what divided the GOP on the health bill. There's a group of congressmen that the rest of the party looked at and went "wow, guys, that's pretty hosed up."

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

scrubs season six posted:

that is pretty much what trumpcare would have done though but their constituents might actually have realized it.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

System Metternich posted:

and that's another lol

Another time he was ranting about how single payer was the only way to go and how dumb evil Democrats would never allow Americans to have the power of single payer healthcare, and very clearly thought single payer meant an individual paying an insurance company for Healthcare

He got to the end of his rant and evidently had someone in his earbud tell him that he had done hosed up so he paused and finished with "and that's why single payer is the worst way to go"

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

XMNN posted:

either that or a very broken brain

"With that said, I was trained to think in an analytical and logical manner that begins first and foremost with the end result"

Except he isn't starting with the actual end result (The AHCA massively failing), he's starting with what he hopes the future end result is (Ryan getting ousted). That isn't analytical and logical, it's a logical fallacy (essentially begging the question).

Also lol at his argument boiling down to "Trump just massively failed at that thing he based his entire campaign around doing immediately but he'll win in the end because three years from now he'll do something about it."

These people literally think that if the Repubs fail at doing anything useful then in 2018 people will vote in different/better repubs instead of just not voting in repubs.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

turn off the TV posted:

This is actually what divided the GOP on the health bill. There's a group of congressmen that the rest of the party looked at and went "wow, guys, that's pretty hosed up."

What's the ratio of "Wow that's pretty hosed up" to "Hey guys, this isn't hosed up enough" though? I.e. the ones that still called it a massive entitlement like Rand?

Regardless, the difference with tax reform is that they can point to numbers that say they're giving EVERYONE a tax break (and therefore loving over no one). Except the tax break for the poor will be $3, the tax break for the middle class will be $300, and the tax break for the 1% will be $3,000,000. And they'll say that they're not really giving the rich a tax break because they're doing away with loopholes but then those parts sill mysteriously disappear during some part of the process or they'll just be ineffective from the outset.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ny times pegged it at 15 hard liners against, 10 moderates against, and 8 "other" republicans against for a ttoal of 33 probable NO's had they held the vote

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

turn off the TV posted:

No, lol you think some of the GOP actually care about people.
They ALL want to do the most fuckiest of gently caress over they can possibly do.
They want the poor back to dying and going bankrupt, it makes their hedge funds grow like their two inch todgers.

But one crowd wanted to do it all in one go, which would have no chance to actually pass the senate.
And the other crowd wanted to gently caress half now, gently caress the rest later.

Only in the US could a group who wants to do damage to its own population clash over getting to it now or later.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

You're right, except they didn't really say that, they just thought it and would've voted no.

There's no GOP members vehemently saying that, or telling their constituents that other GOP members are trying to gently caress the poors and make the rich richer. Party loyalty and all that. Also, not wanting to be on easy-d's poo poo list. They still want to gently caress the poors and give wealth to the wealthy, but it can't be that obvious, it has to be subtle. That, or it has to be so confusing, they don't know what the gently caress they're doing, but all the other old white rich men are doing it, so why not

e: beaten (like the AHCA) ^^^

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 25, 2017

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Like, just go to single payer healthcare like every other first world country, Jesus Christ

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Like, just go to single payer healthcare like every other first world country, Jesus Christ

You don't even have to do that.
Just stop hospitals from ripping people off.
$30 for a $0.50 cardboard tray.
$50k for something that costs $5k everywhere else in the world.

You are paying to sharehold profits, not running costs.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Another time he was ranting about how single payer was the only way to go and how dumb evil Democrats would never allow Americans to have the power of single payer healthcare, and very clearly thought single payer meant an individual paying an insurance company for Healthcare

He got to the end of his rant and evidently had someone in his earbud tell him that he had done hosed up so he paused and finished with "and that's why single payer is the worst way to go"

Actually lolled out loud.

Herman Cain is hilarious. I actually followed him on Facebook after his Pokemon movie speech, and he would post all kinds of ridiculous things.
There was some video about a man hugging a shark, and even though nothing happened, his talkshow thing declared it some big demonstration about how Obamacare has made people not afraid of getting injured? Or something? Somehow it was Obama's fault. And all the comments were just eating it up in agreement about how Obamacare is destroying the very fabric of reality.
No matter what he posted, no matter how ridiculous, all the comments were always full of agreement and hatred for Obama.
EXCEPT when he posted about how dangerous weed was, lol.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

You don't even have to do that.
Just stop hospitals from ripping people off.
$30 for a $0.50 cardboard tray.
$50k for something that costs $5k everywhere else in the world.

You are paying to sharehold profits, not running costs.

Then hospitals wouldn't be able to afford to keep running. I'm sure overpaying shareholders is a problem, but you also have all these people getting operations they can't afford because they are literally dying or were unable to afford the preventative medicine and have now been forced to get more expensive treatments. Then the hospitals spend a ton of money trying to squeeze these people for money that simply don't have it, and then have to pass the bill to everyone else. If everyone were insured, they could avoid all that.
There are other benefits as well like being able to more effectively negotiate prices, etc.

There's no one single cause. And there's no single solution.
As President Trump (lol!) once said, "Who knew healthcare could be so complicated?"

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I didn't say that the GOP didn't all want to gently caress people over, just that some of them wanted to gently caress poors enough that even the regular poor fuckers couldn't get on board.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lindsey Graham is about to do a live town hall and I expect he'll be savaged for saying they should collapse and replace Obamacare.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

turn off the TV posted:

I didn't say that the GOP didn't all want to gently caress people over, just that some of them wanted to gently caress poors enough that even the regular poor fuckers couldn't get on board.

But is that what happened? I don't think so. It's worse than that.

I'm pretty sure they didn't have the Freedom Caucus votes so it would actually be the opposite. The GOP wanted to gently caress people over hard, but they couldn't get the votes because the hardcore morons thought it didn't gently caress people over enough.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 25, 2017

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

GOP: "Want me to sssssssuck your dick?"

trump: "no peg"

-a ben gayrison cartoon

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Shadow0 posted:

If everyone were insured, they could avoid all that.

Actually what we've seen with Obamacare's insurance mandate is the hospitals doubling down on all that.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

System Metternich posted:

and that's another lol

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Trump got him!

It was Flynn!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Shadow0 posted:

Then hospitals wouldn't be able to afford to keep running. I'm sure overpaying shareholders is a problem, but you also have all these people getting operations they can't afford because they are literally dying or were unable to afford the preventative medicine and have now been forced to get more expensive treatments. Then the hospitals spend a ton of money trying to squeeze these people for money that simply don't have it, and then have to pass the bill to everyone else. If everyone were insured, they could avoid all that.
There are other benefits as well like being able to more effectively negotiate prices, etc.

There's no one single cause. And there's no single solution.
As President Trump (lol!) once said, "Who knew healthcare could be so complicated?"

uh it is easy tho? the hospital gets the prices dictated by a federal agency, and bills that agency for operations, that agency finances itself by a federal tax

the agency needs to precisely compute prices, rates of reimbursement and strategic triage, add in a free market for operations upgrades (luxury stuff people want but technically dont need etc)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
stop arguing about healthcare and start posting about how trump couldn't convince republicans to repeal obamacare jfc

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

NotWearingPants posted:

But is that what happened? I don't think so. It's worse than that.

I'm pretty sure they didn't have the Freedom Caucus votes so it would actually be the opposite. The GOP wanted to gently caress people over hard, but they couldn't get the votes because the hardcore morons thought it didn't gently caress people over enough.

Yeah that's basically what I said.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah that's basically what I said.

*clasps hands together* GREAT! Moving on...

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
serious healthcare policy chat itt.

pro-click video:

https://twitter.com/cafedotcom/status/845277043663212544

The gif:

https://twitter.com/ToddDracula/status/845321484482547712

Bye bye! LMAO

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Maybe the Art of the Deal is like when DuChamp hung up a toilet in a gallery and called it art

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Entertaining their viewpoints for a moment: For everyone who says the master plan is just stepping back and letting healthcare collapse before coming in and fixing it... Aren't they basically saying they'd be willing to let thousands of citizens die solely to prove their points, instead of just getting back up on the horse and fixing everything ASAP to save those lives?

lol

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://twitter.com/AndrewLofholm/status/845366793556443141

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/845645916732358656

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/845646761704243200

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

is this real life

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Oh my god loving Abe Lincoln in a MAGA hat presented unironically at a world class resort.

My cup lolleth over!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

XMNN posted:

is this real life

https://twitter.com/AndrewLofholm/status/845386461524512768

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
I remember when Herman Cain dropped out with his Pokemon speech and I thought "welp, there goes all the lols, because nobody can top this loon" and behold I was mistaken for the future held many more lols indeed.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it's such an amateurish photoshop

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

wait didnt kellyanne get slapped on the wrist for doing the exact same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

It's 2017 all the cool guys wear their hat with the bill flattened.