Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Phantasium posted:

Are you turning the system completely off when it's in the dock? It'll only charge the joycons in the dock if the system is asleep, not off.

Nah, it's on sleep mode. But I just checked again, and after another 8 hours, it's _finally_ charged. I do wonder if it's related to the Switch being unable to connect to the internet earlier, and it needing to be powered down and back up, since that entailed me detaching and reattaching the joycons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Booyah! Booyah! This way! Booyah! This way! This way! This way!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Lobstertainment posted:

Pro controller was king for me. Joycons detached and separate was noticeably superior to holding the switch handheld. I didn't think to try them in the grip.

I think it's really hard to make the mental adjustment needed that the gyro control isn't centered in handheld mode. It mattered a lot more with the width of the handheld than with the grip. The pro controller wouldn't have this problem at all, of course.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder if going forward if games from Nintendo will trend to work better on the tv than portable. Basically all my indie games run fine on either mode, but Zelda always has these random small minor quirks like the framerate drops in specific areas, and also the occasional weird graphical glitch stutter where it's like a small wave of black interrupts a corner of the screen or whatever, but this only happens in tv mode. Splatoon 2 also spoiled me with frame rates.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

jyrque posted:

Since the testfire started, I have had trouble connecting to both Eshop and Splatoon 2 beta. My Switch has worked flawlessly since launch but now it throws DNS errors (2110-3127) when trying to connect. When trying to troubleshoot between alternative wifi connection (via my Android hotspot) it fails connecting to the network. Other devices work just fine over my wireless LAN as well.

If I manage to configure my connection I get error 2811-1006 when trying to connect to Eshop. This leads to 2811-5001 when trying to retry connection by clicking the Retry in Eshop error message, which translates to generic local network problem. But again, every single other device in my home works just fine over network.

Kinda starting to wonder whether or not I'm just being hosed over by network congestion. :smith:

WELP guess I fixed it by doing a hard reboot???

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

My actual complaint about motion controls is that they're the only way to wave around metal boxes fast enough to hurt dudes in BotW, and it's tough to reliably do it horizontally with detached joycons and seems impossible when attached in handheld mode.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

When is the testfire today?

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

I think it's really hard to make the mental adjustment needed that the gyro control isn't centered in handheld mode. It mattered a lot more with the width of the handheld than with the grip. The pro controller wouldn't have this problem at all, of course.

Yeah I think that was the problem, tied of course with the fact that you end up tilting the screen and obstruct your own view.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Real hurthling! posted:

When is the testfire today?

Like 12 and 8 PST.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's hard to say where I will ultimately land on Splatoon 2 given I could only participate in that one test fire, but as a bit of a mea culpa to the thread, I will say, a lot of my deaths at the hands of others that I found so instant and frustrating may have come from Specials. Specials I had zero idea even existed at all.

Watching some gameplay videos, I see how that could be the case now, and I see how I could have probably gotten some kills occasionally.

Just sayin'.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Being good at splatoon using only the analog sticks is like saying you can get really good at drawing by only drawing anime.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The motion controls are so much better than just using the sticks and they also take a while to get used to so that's why every time a new person plays splatoon and says the motion controls suck the veterans jump all over it.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Gimbal lock posted:

Being good at splatoon using only the analog sticks is like saying you can get really good at drawing by only drawing anime.

Analogies this bad should be illegal

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Not an artist, huh? People who learn to draw entirely on anime end up with a lot of problems that are hard to shake off later.

If you're unhappy with analogies, consider that there's plenty of solid sources out there with proof that dual-stick users, on equal ground, get wrecked by mouse and keyboard users. Once you get used to them, the gyro controls gets a lot closer to mouse controls than the joysticks ever could.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 25, 2017

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Feenix posted:

It's hard to say where I will ultimately land on Splatoon 2 given I could only participate in that one test fire, but as a bit of a mea culpa to the thread, I will say, a lot of my deaths at the hands of others that I found so instant and frustrating may have come from Specials. Specials I had zero idea even existed at all.

Watching some gameplay videos, I see how that could be the case now, and I see how I could have probably gotten some kills occasionally.

Just sayin'.

Some of your death might be because a lot of use are returning from Splatoon 1. I got a lot of people be cause I stuck a Suction Cup bombs in places that new players would normally look or on their jump points. Also any Charger that good at their job.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jarogue posted:

Some of your death might be because a lot of use are returning from Splatoon 1. I got a lot of people be cause I stuck a Suction Cup bombs in places that new players would normally look or on their jump points. Also any Charger that good at their job.

Oh I definitely understood that to be a factor. But in about 6 matches I got one kill in about 40+faceoffs and a lot of them felt really fast and unavoidable. It frustrated me. I think at least SOME of those seem like they were specials, and also I probably would have gotten a few had I known about specials. :)

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I suck at Splatoon 2 :smith:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Feenix posted:

It's hard to say where I will ultimately land on Splatoon 2 given I could only participate in that one test fire,

Splatoon 1 had three test fire weekends, so you'll probably get another chance.

Single player campaign helped me master the controls a lot, but unfortunately, there's no demo of that.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/845685907369816064

That stuff is gone if you even take a second to look at your bank account.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Gimbal lock posted:

Not an artist, huh? People who learn to draw entirely on anime end up with a lot of problems that are hard to shake off later.

Oh, sorry, it went over my head and just sounded bizarre.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Dr Cheeto posted:

Booyah! Booyah! This way! Booyah! This way! This way! This way!

In my last match one guy on my team kept shouting, "This way! This way!" so I figured he must have a plan and rushed to his side! But he was just running into a wall.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Just a heads up goons. The iPad charger brick puts out enough power to up your battery while playing Zelda.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

there's nothing to play on this system for a month.

You like golf?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

enojy posted:

I agree and disagree. If someone has mastered the black magic of gitting (really) gud with analog sticks in FPSes, then yeah, they may have an easier time... although analog aiming felt floaty to me, maybe that's fixable by messing with the acceleration options. However I disagree because the gyro aiming was truly impressive and WAY more fun, at least in docked mode. I feel like gyro aiming in handheld mode could be hideous since you'd be rotating the screen itself every which way, but I haven't tried it yet. I guess I will today because I won't be at home.

Yes it can. I use it in tandem with a USB-A battery pack to charge while playing on the go. You'll probably need to use the iPad charger, though, since the 5V/1A iPhone charger will probably only trickle charge at best. I don't remember what kind of wattage my battery pack pushes, but it at least charges more than Binding of Isaac drains at pretty high brightness. Haven't tested it with Zelda yet.

Edit: it's 5V/2.4A, which IIRC is right in line with the iPad adapter, so yea that'd work out pretty well.

Thanks for the specifics!

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I'd just like to add that there are a few different iPad charges floating around. There's a 10W and a 12W variant. Sounds like enojy is describing the 12W one.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Is there a trick to making gyro with handheld work, because trying to use it last night all I could do was aim at the ceiling, even when pressing Y. But I was also pretty blasted~

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

My Callie and Marie amiibo just came, it's a sign!

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Get ready for some splatting! I'll try motion controls this time, but apologies if you end up on Hoff38's team because I will probably be bad at first

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm stuck in a lobby waiting for more players and no one is joining and I can't back out either.

EDIT: it's taken 7 minutes to find 5 other players. Lobby is still waiting. GOTY

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 25, 2017

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm stuck in a lobby waiting for more players and no one is joining and I can't back out either.

It happens... Should time out eventually.

Just won a 3on4, suck it.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hit home and close the demo.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
The hell? My dock doesn't seem to be sending a signal to my tv anymore.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Gimbal lock posted:

The hell? My dock doesn't seem to be sending a signal to my tv anymore.

Yeah, Nintendo gave up on the TV thing in the latest update. It's just a handheld now.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Wow the pros are out in force in this test fire. Pretty harrowing experience atm.

Also who are these sick sick people who don't capitalise their name?.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Yeah who does that

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Playing this testfire session with a Joy-Con in each hand... this is totally the way to go. Why'd I buy a pro controller again?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

630 in the morning
Just woke up
Gonna play some Testfire in bed

:yeah:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Why does a squid kid drown in the water

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010