Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LastInLine posted:

The Pixel/Pixel XL is the best and the Moto G5+ with 4GB of RAM is the best cheap phone.

I got the Nexus 6P last Black Friday since I absolutely could not justify Pixel XL money, but given it'll probably started getting EOL'd on the software side this year that's probably not a great option now. Also, it's like the largest android phone there is without getting into literal tablet phones. Which is fine for me and my big ol' hands, but some people don't care for em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Missing a lot of American bands, unfortunately.

Literally won't work on any Australian network as of september this year when the last 2G networks gets shut off.

It's weird, Nokia had a whole bunch of nice cheap candybar 3G dumbphones in 2013/14 and then by 2015 they only made 2G candybars.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 25, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MikeJF posted:

It's weird, Nokia had a whole bunch of nice cheap candybar 3G dumbphones in 2013/14 and then by 2015 they only made 2G candybars.

Not really, it's a completely different company now.

Well, most precisely, it's kind of the same after being split sold, sold again, and then recombined.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Is there an android VR thread? Since my phone has a quadhd screen, I figure it could be fun. I've literally never used VR before and would like to try it out with a cheap headset (not Cardboard). There are a billion different ones available on Amazon between $20-$35, is there a consensus on which is best in that price range?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Arcanen posted:

Is there an android VR thread? Since my phone has a quadhd screen, I figure it could be fun. I've literally never used VR before and would like to try it out with a cheap headset (not Cardboard). There are a billion different ones available on Amazon between $20-$35, is there a consensus on which is best in that price range?

This is better than my daydream https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYSKTN2 and it gets way more use since I use it as a quadcopter viewer

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Arcanen posted:

LeEco Le Max 2. I got the 128GB internal storage, 6GB RAM version for $248. The 64GB/4GB can be had for around $190.

lol at switching to a phone without a removable battery or headphone jack

edit: and no microsd card slot either lmao

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Holy poo poo this wasn't a disturbance in the force it was a hypernova of grognardry going off

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tokit posted:

Why would anyone want those first two?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Credit where credit is due. It's still March and my Droid Z updated to the March security patch. Moto seems to be actually trying (at least with the Verizon version.)

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Tokit posted:

I've been using wireless bluetooth headphones for a couple of years now (the phone also comes with USB-C buds), and am not super bothered by the lack of the microsd slot since it's got 128GB of internal storage. Not having a removable battery isn't ideal, especially since the battery is a bit small given that it's driving a Snapdragon 820 on a 5.7" QuadHD display. But it has QuickCharge 3.0, and I have a battery pack if I need it.

Yes, it lacks a few bells and whistles from some $900 phones (though the iPhone 7 also lacks a headphone jack, and the Pixel has neither a removable battery or a microsd slot). These are all things I'd prefer to have, but again, $250.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I'm trying to remove my personal email from the Gmail app so I can just use my work email there and my personal email in Inbox.

Trying to remove my personal account is telling me that doing so will delete all of the messages contacts and other data from the phone. Am I really unable to remove my personal email from the Gmail account without having all of my information wiped?

e: Great. Looks like the Inbox app now has both of my email addresses also. Can I at least stop Gmail from showing me personal mail and Inbox from showing me work mail?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Gboard should not suggest emojis. I hate it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Blue Train posted:

Sorry that you're not hip and with it anymore, gramps :corsair:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

nimper posted:

Sorry that you're not hip and with it anymore, gramps :corsair:

Literally tried to find this wheelchair smiley last night for a post and couldn't find it. SA could take a page out of Google's book for suggesting smilies.

Also:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

I want a headphone jack because Bluetooth headphones are just another thing you charge

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ShoogaSlim posted:

Literally tried to find this wheelchair smiley last night for a post and couldn't find it. SA could take a page out of Google's book for suggesting smilies.

Someone with a 2001 regdate should know Corsair off the top of their head :colbert:

I agree that SA's smileys are a mess that needs revamping though.

On the topic of headphone jacks, I need one because I use earbuds at work and all the bluetooth stuff I've tried can't last 5-6 hours straight.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Someone with a 2001 regdate should know Corsair off the top of their head :colbert:
Not everyone lurked FYAD though

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mister Macys posted:

Bluetooth on my MXP and my old Nexus 5 lags by a half second behind whatever sound is supposed to be playing. It's not a problem for listening to music or podcasts but it makes playing games incredibly annoying. I personally love music/rhythm games and they're unplayable with my Bluetooth headphones or my car's radio connected with Bluetooth. It also makes watching videos incredibly annoying.

At first I assumed it was my headset I was using with my Nexus 5 way back when, but the same problem happened with my car and my MXP inherited the problem when I got it. My iPad works just fine with the same devices, for a while I thought it was just how Android devices worked on Bluetooth so I went back to my regular headphones.

Also there's a small but noticable extra drain on my battery while using Bluetooth. Not enough to make me avoid it but I didn't exactly miss it when I went back to wired (outside of my car, of course).

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I never looked back after getting a pair of these: https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-...cs+backbeat+fit

They last 6-8 hours and never fall out or get caught on anything (after being used to wires, it's kind of amazing being able to take off / put on sweaters without issue), and are waterproof. At first I was skeptical of the lack of a seal to ambient noise, but it pairs well with how secure and compact they are. Just hit pause (there are 4 buttons on the headset itself) and you can carry on a conversation without any problems. Put them in and forget about them.

Sounds quality isn't brilliant or anything, but hey.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Total Silence with Visual Disturbances off does not prevent the phone from showing me Snapchat notifications. How do I check to make sure there isn't some override going on?

e: Snapchat's settings don't allow it to override DND.. wtf

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 26, 2017

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Arcanen posted:

I never looked back after getting a pair of these: https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-...cs+backbeat+fit

They last 6-8 hours and never fall out or get caught on anything (after being used to wires, it's kind of amazing being able to take off / put on sweaters without issue), and are waterproof. At first I was skeptical of the lack of a seal to ambient noise, but it pairs well with how secure and compact they are. Just hit pause (there are 4 buttons on the headset itself) and you can carry on a conversation without any problems. Put them in and forget about them.

Sounds quality isn't brilliant or anything, but hey.

Is this the price range for a decent pair of Bluetooth headphones now? I remember my old rear end LG Tone only being $40 or $60 or something when I got it forever ago. It's also the reason I went back to getting a $10 pair of earbuds and just replacing them when they inevitably break every 6-8 months.

I'll make a note of those headphones for next time I have some extra money burning a hole in my pocket though, they look nice. Thanks!

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Wrist Watch posted:

Is this the price range for a decent pair of Bluetooth headphones now? I remember my old rear end LG Tone only being $40 or $60 or something when I got it forever ago. It's also the reason I went back to getting a $10 pair of earbuds and just replacing them when they inevitably break every 6-8 months.

The brighter colors are like $30 cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-...cs+backbeat+fit

You can definitely find cheaper, but these were the only pair I could find that were both waterproof and compact. Last time I looked (admittedly, a while ago), most everything else has a lot more machinery bulging out and around the ears.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
So which uses more power from the phone, the Bluetooth antenna or the jack?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
man I got that nexus 5x bootloop :(

I was able to get in and "factory reset" just today and it worked for like a few hours surprisingly. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but once it was done updating everything from the playstore it started freeze/bootlooping again.

syscall girl posted:

So which uses more power from the phone, the Bluetooth antenna or the jack?

looks like some people say the apple iphone jack uses like 10mA, and bluetoof4 uses ~15mA

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Got my caseology textured black case today. Looks pretty sharp. Minimalist aesthetic is what I like about it.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
So the LG G6 is coming out soon, comes with a Google Home wifi router if you PO. Should I get that or do the fiscally responsible thing and get a Moto G5+?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

E2M2 posted:

So the LG G6 is coming out soon, comes with a Google Home wifi router if you PO. Should I get that or do the fiscally responsible thing and get a Moto G5+?

Google Home is not a wifi router but it's a cool thing

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Woops I guess I got that confused with their routers that look similar

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Blue Train posted:

I know Swiftkey has this as an option that is not enabled by default. I use emoji's occasionally but I also find it annoying.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wrist Watch posted:

Bluetooth on my MXP and my old Nexus 5 lags by a half second behind whatever sound is supposed to be playing.

It's really annoying when you're using the phone for driving directions and you get the instructions mid-turn. It's a problem in the phone's or stereo's Bluetooth driver. I'm not sure which or exactly how it works, but they're supposed to figure out the buffer when they set up the connection and then adjust video sync etc accordingly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

E2M2 posted:

Why would you consider an LG when two posts prior to this is yet another person talking about how LGs just die all of a sudden? There's even a class action lawsuit!

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
And it only has 4GB of RAM.

Edit: More seriously, it also only has a Snapdragon 821 processor which is already basically just slightly updated version of the 820 and already almost ~10months old. It's not a bad processor but considering Qualcomm tends to drop support for their SOCs after 18 to 24 months, having a chip that's already half way to having support dropped means that you might get Android P and that's it.

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 27, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ragingsheep posted:

And it only has 4GB of RAM.

Edit: More seriously, it also only has a Snapdragon 821 processor which is already basically just slightly updated version of the 820 and already almost ~10months old. It's not a bad processor but considering Qualcomm tends to drop support for their SOCs after 18 to 24 months, having a chip that's already half way to having support dropped means that you might get Android P and that's it.

Given that the Pixel is a SD821 I think P is a bit pessimistic. Obviously we aren't still on the every-six-months release schedule, but let's be real, the 821 will be supported by Android until at least fall of 2019.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I'm hoping the Pixel will get to Q but I have my doubts. You also need to wait for LG to update it as well - is the G4 even getting Nougat? Having said that, I don't think the SD835s will get much further either.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Pixel won't get Q because that's outside of their stated support window.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

2gb of ram is usable and saying "only 4gb of ram" is spec sheet dick sucking

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ragingsheep posted:

I'm hoping the Pixel will get to Q but I have my doubts. You also need to wait for LG to update it as well - is the G4 even getting Nougat? Having said that, I don't think the SD835s will get much further either.

LG updating the phone to Q is a moot point since it will have started bootlooping about a year before.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blue Train posted:

2gb of ram is usable and saying "only 4gb of ram" is spec sheet dick sucking

:thejoke:

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Would I be able to import a G5+ to Canada and use it without any problems (on Public Mobile)?

My Nexus 5 gave up last week, and I've got a G4+ arriving soon to replace it, but it looks like I can actually get the G5+ shipped here from Amazon.com for cheaper than just slightly more than buying the G4+ locally, which seems like the better choice. Maybe not for warranty though?

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I can't read it's my secret shame. I use Google text to speech to read the forums :(