Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've spent so much time talking about MoS might as well put in my two cents here too.

Watching MoS is kind of like playing a game of telephone where you're trying to decipher what Goyer and Nolan were trying to say, and how much of it was garbled by the directing.

Pa Kent tells Clark "don't never stick out your neck for nobody!" The kneejerk reaction a lot of audiences had at first was that Jonathan Kent was a horrible dad, but they initially glossed over the fact that Jonathan Kent died saving the family dog. Clark is there staring at his dad being killed and is trying to reconcile the fact that his dad told him not to risk himself for others with the fact that he just died saving a loving dog. The movie doesn't spell it out, so the conclusion that Clark and the audience have to come to on their own is that Jonathan only told Clark not to risk himself because he worried so much about Clark. Do as I say, but not as I do. But Clark matures and decides he wants to follow his dad's actions not his words, so he puts himself out there to save the weak.

That's some good poo poo screenwriting. On paper.

In the movie you get Jonathan Kent swallowed up cartoonishly by a tornado as he holds his hand out towards Clark, standing upright as if there were nothing more than a desk fan blowing in his direction, swallowed up by a tornado as dense as the black smoke from Lost.

X-O posted:

Yeah it's more powerful when it's a death he can't prevent than when he let's him die an easily preventable death right in front of him.

I prefer the idea that his dad's death was something that he actually could have physically prevented, but was held back from doing so by his dad's instruction. When you have a guy with almost-omnipotence, it's probably more interesting to make Superman's challenges moral/mental ones.

It hearkens back to Lois' death in Superman 1. Superman always had the strength to beat Luthor, but held back because of Jor-El's instructions. When he finds Lois dead, he flies up in the clouds and hears Jor-El's booming voice telling him it's forbidden to interfere in human history. Then he hears Jonathan Kent's voice telling him that he's bound to do great things on Earth. The last voice he hears is his own, lamenting the fact that he couldn't save Jonathan Kent. He's determined not to let Lois die, so he must disobey Jor-El and listen to Jonathan Kent. This is the climax of the film.

Think about Spiderman. His uncle died because of a bad decision he made. He wrestles with that guilt and it drives him to be a hero ever after. Superman in MoS is similarly wrestling with the fact that he let his dad die because of dad's instructions not to expose himself. Afterwards, he lets himself get exposed in order to save humans.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The dog scene is interesting because it's typical parenting "Do as I say, not as I do". Pa didn't want to risk Clark exposing himself because at this point he wasn't ready for the burden of the consequences. Why didn't Superman save him? Because Pa loving stared him right in the eye and told him not to. He'd rather give his life than put Clark in a position he won't be ready for.
It's also interesting that Pa gives up his life to save a pet, as it reflects on Supermans decision to save humanity, a "lesser" species to the kryptonians.

Superman spends most of the movie helping people, something people tend to forget because of the movies climax. He saves Lois, the people at the oilrig, the folks in the schoolbus etc etc. The problem is that people project their version of Superman onto this one. "Why didn't he superspeed his dad out of the Tornado?" "Why didn't he catch the truck?" "Why did he cause all that collateral damage?" "Why didn't he find another way instead of snapping Zods neck?" The answer to these is because this version of Superman isn't the omnipotent omniscient one from the comics who's hidden superpower is to always knows what to do. He didn't catch the truck because he acted on reflex and hosed up (and Zod would have just barreled through it anyways otherwise), he couldn't stop the collateral damage because he's fighting someone just as powerful as he is who wants to gently caress as much poo poo up as he can, etc

I said it before, Snyder isn't trying to portray a powerfantasy here. He's aiming for a more "realistic" Superman, and to me that makes him more relatable. He has doubts, limits and makes mistakes, that's not a flaw to me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Personally I thought the visual of Pa Kent being swallowed up was beautiful. His ghost speech about hero cake is also my favorite thing in BvS.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

McCloud posted:

Superman spends most of the movie helping people, something people tend to forget because of the movies climax. He saves Lois, the people at the oilrig, the folks in the schoolbus etc etc. The problem is that people project their version of Superman onto this one. "Why didn't he superspeed his dad out of the Tornado?" "Why didn't he catch the truck?" "Why did he cause all that collateral damage?" "Why didn't he find another way instead of snapping Zods neck?" The answer to these is because this version of Superman isn't the omnipotent omniscient one from the comics who's hidden superpower is to always knows what to do. He didn't catch the truck because he acted on reflex and hosed up (and Zod would have just barreled through it anyways otherwise), he couldn't stop the collateral damage because he's fighting someone just as powerful as he is who wants to gently caress as much poo poo up as he can, etc

I said it before, Snyder isn't trying to portray a powerfantasy here. He's aiming for a more "realistic" Superman, and to me that makes him more relatable. He has doubts, limits and makes mistakes, that's not a flaw to me.

Again, people are projecting their views of Superman onto this version because the movie fails to present any sort of take of its own on the character. And the issue is not with the logic of the scenes, stop doing this. The issue is that neither Pa Kent nor Superman ever make sense as characters so their decisions come off as inherently silly or bizarre.

Going for "realistic Superman" is pretty lame in the first place, but for a movie that doesn't actually have anything to say about the character it's pure poison. What, exactly, is relatable about Superman? Because while you can go "he makes mistakes" all day, it doesn't hold up because Superman intentionally comes off as alien to the audience, and because the logic of his decisions is never established dramatically. His "limits" are also bullshit, because the movie never shows him ever even trying to hold himself back or actually fail at anything.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Arist posted:

Again, people are projecting their views of Superman onto this version because the movie fails to present any sort of take of its own on the character. And the issue is not with the logic of the scenes, stop doing this. The issue is that neither Pa Kent nor Superman ever make sense as characters so their decisions come off as inherently silly or bizarre.

Going for "realistic Superman" is pretty lame in the first place, but for a movie that doesn't actually have anything to say about the character it's pure poison. What, exactly, is relatable about Superman? Because while you can go "he makes mistakes" all day, it doesn't hold up because Superman intentionally comes off as alien to the audience, and because the logic of his decisions is never established dramatically. His "limits" are also bullshit, because the movie never shows him ever even trying to hold himself back or actually fail at anything.

The movie does present its own take on the character. Pay attention and you'll see it clearly!

And going for a "realistic Superman" is just as valid a choice as going for the completely unrealistic Uberman that's portrayed in the comics. Just because you yourself don't like it or don't see the merit in the choices does not mean they are not there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lol you're definitely trolling, effort met with no effort is too obvious my man

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Arist posted:

lol you're definitely trolling, effort met with no effort is too obvious my man

Your "effort" boils down to you going "Nuh uh!". I am simply responding in kind.

You want to make an argument that Superman and Pa don't make sense as characters, then make one, don't just state it like it's an absolute fact. Hit me with examples!

Here, let me start!
"His "limits" are also bullshit, because the movie never shows him ever even trying to hold himself back or actually fail at anything."

Half the movie is about Clark holding himself back. Like, all the flashbacks are about him controlling his powers and constantly holding back to not hurt anyone. The bully scenes (both of them) are all about him holding himself back. In fact the only time he can let loose is during his fights with the Kryptonians, at which he is at a disadvantage because he's never fought in his life! He also fails at alot of things, like saving people during the metropolis fight, and soldiers during smallville fight. Why? Is it because he doesn't care about people? No, the earlier scenes of him saving people contradicts this. Is it maybe that he can't because he's outmatched and barely holding his own against a foe with the same powers he has, AND more martial training? Hm, that makes a bit more sense, doesn't it?

Now you try!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I've come to support Superman, and Zach Snyder.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My dad says his favourite superhero movie is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I suppose it makes sense in a way. He has a costume (leather jacket, fedora) and a sort of origin story (he used to be Sean Patrick Flanery World War I) and he even has a mild-mannered secret identity where he wears glasses and everything.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 25, 2017

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

My dad says his favourite superhero movie is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I suppose it makes sense in a way. He has a costume (leather jacket, fedora) and a sort of origin story (he used to be Sean Patrick Flanery World War I) and he even has a mild-mannered secret identity where he wears glasses and everything.

Your father is obviously a man of taste.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
My dad's favorite superhero film is Mrs. Doubtfire.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
My Dad's favourite is Dudley Do-Right.

He thinks all mounties are superheros

.....It's kinda weird.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The JL trailer is out and

How much loving slo mo does one movie NEED?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

There's a Baywatch movie coming out so they need to be competitive.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I haven't seen the movie, TFRazorsaw, so I'm afraid I can't tell you.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TFRazorsaw posted:

There's a slow motion shot of someone running a football for a split second. I laughed hard.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not a bad trailer but I can already tell they're trying too hard to sell Aquaman and Cyborg looks even worse the more we see of him.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I guess it's a step in the right direction if the aesthetics bother me more than anything in the text

Cyborg and the Parademons (?) look real real bad. Between this and Power Rangers I'm wondering if it actually makes you part of the minority to think that a bunch of jagged, nonsensical, constantly moving metal bits is poor design?

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
Trailers don't necessarily indicate the quality of a movie but uh...

"Come Together" playing in the background was just so so awful

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cxixDgHUYw

This is the worst case of "Video Game Cutscene Montage: The Movie" I've ever seen.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Good to see Batman can continue his shooting spree for another movie

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So is Superman gonna be in this or not. I know he's "dead". But JL without Superman...

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That looks so busy. Can't see poo poo.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Sorry, "Best Use of The Beatles in a Comic-Book Movie Trailer" goes to Valerian :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNrK7xVG3PM

New trailer on the 29th! :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbgIDbaWI8o

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I guess it's a step in the right direction if the aesthetics bother me more than anything in the text

Cyborg and the Parademons (?) look real real bad. Between this and Power Rangers I'm wondering if it actually makes you part of the minority to think that a bunch of jagged, nonsensical, constantly moving metal bits is poor design?

I mean that's been the standard since the first Transformers movie and it's been lovely the whole time. Maybe someday clean lines will come back and graphic designers won't feel the need to fill every space with lines.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Arist posted:

It's not a bad trailer but I can already tell they're trying too hard to sell Aquaman and Cyborg looks even worse the more we see of him.

I dunno, Cyborg at least didn't look like crumpled tinfoil in this one.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
It's cool how they are combining the DC films like Batman v Superman and Justice League with the Stranger Things universe by having all the DC fights take place in the dark nothingness of the Upside Down

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Darth Various posted:

I dunno, Cyborg at least didn't look like crumpled tinfoil in this one.

Obvious CG character is obvious.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

haitfais posted:

Obvious CG character is obvious.

I have this same problem with Seasame Street. It's so obvious the monsters are just puppets.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Schwarzwald posted:

I have this same problem with Seasame Street. It's so obvious the monsters are just puppets.

This is the worst comparison ever.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The Brad Pitt Cable concept art is honestly a better looking take on Half Robot Dude.

edit:

Blockhouse posted:

that one's super hosed because it comes out of nowhere in the middle of an issue that starts off with a goofy pirate journey and then turns into superboy's increasingly desperate attempts to save his parents

plus you think "this is the silver age they'll totally be okay in the end" but nope loving dead all the way until Crisis on Infinite Earths

:psyduck: I had to look this up, and yep.

quote:

After Clark graduates from high school, Jonathan and Martha take a vacation to the Caribbean Islands, where they contract a fatal and rare tropical disease after handling materials from a pirate's treasure chest they had exhumed; despite Superboy's best efforts, Martha dies, with Jonathan dying soon thereafter. Before dying, Jonathan reminds Clark that he must always use his powers for the benefit of humanity. Clark mourns his parents and moves to Metropolis to attend college.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 25, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

teagone posted:

Yeah, Pa Kent's death was easily preventable, sure. Clark could have either zipped in super fast to get his dad out of harm's way, or maybe he could have gone into the thick of the storm himself to save their dog and come out the other side unscathed. You could argue that Pa Kent wanted Clark to stay with his mother and the others in the underpass, because he knew Clark would be able to protect them should the tornado do something unpredictable (since tornadoes tend to be); it was a conscious choice to ensure to safety of the greater good. But Pa Kent was also convinced the world was not ready to see Clark for who is. He was a father ready and willing to sacrifice himself for the safety of his own son. There's some neat subtext going on in the scene too; it reveals the morality and responsibility for those who have strength and power to protect those who cannot protect themselves, even if it means getting hurt or even giving your own life to do so.

The worst part about that scene to me is that I have had to spend some dreadful months in Missouri and Kansas and nobody would ever abandon their cars to run to an overpass during a tornado.

That's one of the worst places to gather people during a storm!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The worst part about that scene to me is that I have had to spend some dreadful months in Missouri and Kansas and nobody would ever abandon their cars to run to an overpass during a tornado.

That's one of the worst places to gather people during a storm!

Yeah i think that part was an honest goof

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

McCloud posted:

:words:
Why? Is it because he doesn't care about people? No, the earlier scenes of him saving people contradicts this.:smug:

The problem with this, is that its implied

we ASSUME he's doing this because he has some sort of moral compass

a scene that sticks out to me in The First Avenger is the "I just don't like bullies" scene. Its a perfect summation of (MCU) Steve Rogers.

All I wanted was just ONE SCENE like this in MoS/BvS

YES we see youre doing altrusitic things, but WHY? How does the character FEEL doing it?

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 25, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arist posted:

This is the worst comparison ever.

Chewbacca is obviously a man in a costume. The T-800, bereft of flesh, is obviously stop motion animation. The new Cyborg is obviously CG.

Of course he is. What's the problem?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The problem is he looks like poo poo.

e: You bring up the T-800 as if that wasn't also distracting. That's the issue, it's distracting. It's not even just that he's CG, it's that he's overdesigned as hell.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 25, 2017

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Schwarzwald posted:

Chewbacca is obviously a man in a costume. The T-800, bereft of flesh, is obviously stop motion animation. The new Cyborg is obviously CG.

Of course he is. What's the problem?

The T-800 looked pretty decent for the time.

This is just bad CGI for right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People always bitch about CGI in trailers. It's not the finished product. Doomsday looked like rear end in the trailer and pretty drat good in the film.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Arist posted:

The problem is he looks like poo poo.

e: You bring up the T-800 as if that wasn't also distracting. That's the issue, it's distracting. It's not even just that he's CG, it's that he's overdesigned as hell.

That's design's doing more then the CG.

Seriously though, how do you make a bunch of triangle in a vaguely human shape look good on any medium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Doomsday looked like rear end in the trailer and pretty drat good in the film.

Ha. Nice joke.

I mean that's probably the worst trailer for any of the DC movies, so maybe that means the movie will be good unlike the last two films. That Cyborg is as unsalvageable as the character in the comics is though.

Also a poo poo Beatles cover doesn't help. Just spend the cash for the real thing.

• Locked thread