Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I still say a mobile phone Chao garden that isn't too horribly freemium would be amazing.

And that they could retroactively link Chao parts to achievements in other Sonic games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Sonic Adventure 3:
Everything you ever wanted in a Sonic game!

When Robotnik discovers a long lost technology/magic artifact from...we'll have it be ancient foxes this time, it's up to Sonic the Hedgehog, Knuckles the Echidna, Tails the Fox, Gemerl the Gizoid, mysterious, bloodthirsty dark and gritty stranger/friendly rival Slate the Hedgehog, Shadow the Hedgehog, Rouge the Bat, Dr. Robotnik, E-123 Omega, Nack the Weasel, Cream the Rabbit, Big the Cat, Vanilla the Rabbit, Amy the Hedgehog, Honey the Cat, Mighty the Armadillo, Espio the Chameleon, Charmy the Bee, Vector the Crocodile, Dyna the Duck, Blaze the Cat, Marine the Raccoon, Ray the Squirrel, Bark the Polar Bear, Shade the Echidna, and some new friends to help put a stop to the chaos!

But a strange newcomer has appeared, the dark, mysterious, bloodthirsty Slate the Hedgehog! Could he be friend or foe? Only a contrived case of mistaken identity and badly made boss battle will tell!

Join Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, Gemerl, mysterious, bloodthirsty dark and gritty stranger/friendly rival Slate the Hedgehog, Shadow, Rouge, Robotnik, Omega, Nack, Cream, Big, Vanilla, Amy, Honey, Mighty, Espio, Charmy, Vector, Dyna, Blaze, Marine, Ray, Bark, Shade, and all their friends in a race against Dr. Robotnik to find the Chaos Emeralds and set things right!

Play as characters from Team Light, Team Dark, Team Rose, Team Chaotix, or Team We'll Totally Nail Their Introduction This Time!

Several different play modes:
  • Running! (with Sonic, Shadow, Vanilla, Mighty, or Blaze)
  • Emerald Hunt! ( with Knuckles, Rouge, Big, Espio, or Marine)
  • Mechs! (with Tails, Robotnik, Vanilla, Charmy, or Ray)
  • Fighting! (with Gemerl, Omega, Amy, Vector, or Bark)
  • Out-of-place Gunplay! (with Slate, Nack, Honey, Dyna, or Shade)
  • Ill-contrived near-duplicate boss battles between all characters and all characters, from every direction, more than once!
Your Favorite Side Games!
Racing!
Fishing!
Physics Puzzles!
Airboard Racing!
Apple Collection!
Rhythm Games!
Car racing!
Chao Garden*!
Dating!
Go-Kart racing!
and by popular demand, Hedgehog Hammer makes its triumphant return!

Level up skills! Build up your spirit level! Fill up your Affection Meter! Over 13,000 Red Rings to find! Over 300 lost chao to find! 600 emblems to collect! Sun and Moon coins! Emeralds! Gems! Power Gems! Promise Rings!

Recolored level assets! Misunderstandings to justify conflict! A new human love interest, this time for Tails! Frustratingly good music! Time travel or parallel dimensions, probably! A new, conflicting explanation for several characters! The final level is as long as the rest of the game combined! It's time to strap on your tie-in Soap shoes and get ready for Adventure!

Preorder now to get limited edition exclusive Chao Food! Don't let your Chao die!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 24, 2017

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
why would charmy have a mech

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

why would charmy have a mech

why would tails

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why would Tails attack enemies with bombs disguised as ring capsules?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
charmy is the only insectoid character. pretty hosed up when you think about it. what happened to his hive? there's an untapped rich backstory here

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They should make a game where you play as Eggman and all you do is come up with ways to punk on Knuckles.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

charmy is the only insectoid character. pretty hosed up when you think about it. what happened to his hive? there's an untapped rich backstory here

Please tell me you don't know about Charmy's rich and detailed comics backstory, in which he is one of two last survivors of teh Bee Genocide

Detective No. 27 posted:

They should make a game where you play as Eggman and all you do is come up with ways to punk on Knuckles.

The even more In-credulous Machine.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's been said before but I would love a Misadventures of Tron Bonne style game starring Robotnik (hell if you wanted to keep some Sonic-esque gameplay intact you could probably throw Metal Sonic in there too).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

why would tails

Tails is an inventor

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Please tell me you don't know about Charmy's rich and detailed comics backstory, in which he is one of two last survivors of teh Bee Genocide

I remember stories in Sonic the Comic about Charmy being a bee prince or something, and he didn't want that so he ran off to live in the Special Stage? It was a long time ago and I haven't looked at it since I was 8.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Tails is an inventor

Well there you have it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Just. "Why would this guy who builds machines use machines" is a pretty simple question.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Right, so why would anyone ask why Charmy has a mech, when the answer is obviously that he's borrowing one of Vanilla's

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I remember stories in Sonic the Comic about Charmy being a bee prince or something, and he didn't want that so he ran off to live in the Special Stage? It was a long time ago and I haven't looked at it since I was 8.

In the Archie comics he was a prince as well, but also had this thing where he was only bee sized when flying. When not flying he'd be as big as Knuckles or Tails or whoever. He revealed this to all the other Chaotix much to their surprise because I guess he just never took a break from flying.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Macaluso posted:

He revealed this to all the other Chaotix much to their surprise because I guess he just never took a break from flying.

That makes sense. Bees have to fly in order to breath.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sonic Boom is Sonic Adventure 3

No wait Shadow the Hedgehog is Sonic Adventure 3

Wait wait no Sonic 06 is Sonic Adventure 4, and Shadow is Sonic Adventure 3, and Sonic Boom is Sonic Adventure 5.

But seriously why would you have any confidence in any Sonic series? And no, Sonic Mania has https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omKGDC4JaMU backing it. Even Sonic Forces is kinda sketchy in my head.

As an aside if you've never watched his other video on Sonic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kE9BR24XIw it's really good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They already made Sonic Adventure 3 but in the US it was called Sonic World 2: Flicky's Island.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Spiderdrake posted:

But seriously why would you have any confidence in any Sonic series?

I wouldn't say I have confidence in any given upcoming game, but the Sonic series has a strange tendency to produce the occasional excellent game despite the majority being mediocre to bad.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

They already made Sonic Adventure 3 but in the US it was called Sonic World 2: Flicky's Island.

:discourse:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Larryb posted:

Seriously, why do some fans seem to think that just calling a game Sonic Adventure 3 would automatically make it good (hell, '06 is already basically SA3 in all but name and the lack of a Chao Garden and look how that turned out)?
Sonic Unleashed was originally meant to be SA3 too (even called Sonic World Adventure in Japan). Clearly every new Sonic Team game starts off this way until they immediately come to their senses (or don't and '06 happens :v:)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I hope they make an infinite runner mobile game, call it Sonic Adventure 3 and just owns everyone

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams was SA3, complete with a chao garden.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

I hope they make an infinite runner mobile game, call it Sonic Adventure 3 and just owns everyone

They did, it was called Sonic Runners and you could play as all of Sonic's friends and it died a humiliating death. :smith:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The whole Sonic Adventure 3 thing is weird, there's already been three. Heroes continues that story and clearly conceptually began with them staring at the number 3 for a long time, 06 is structurally like Adventure 1, and Unleashed is World Adventure in Japan.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what they mean is they want a game that has really bad mini-games comprising 70% of the gameplay

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think it's partly a "road less taken" thing. Sonic Adventure had the weakness of the parts where you played as Sonic were (mostly) much better than the parts where you played as his friends. The approaches to resolve this weakness are:

A) Make the parts where you played as his friends better, which is what Sega attempted (to arguable success) in Adventure 2 and 2006.
B) Reduce the separation between Sonic and his friends, like in Heroes and Sonic Boom.
or
C) Excise the parts where you play as anyone but Sonic, like in Secret Rings, Unleashed, Colors, Lost Worlds and Generations.

There have been several relatively recent games where you play as just Sonic, as well as the Sonic Boom series, which takes the middle approach.
But Sega really hasn't really tried to make an Adventure game but better since 2006. It's interesting to imagine what such games would be like if they had gone down that path.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 25, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbTuoOCeQB8

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

when society collapses, everyone who calls him "eggman" will be the first against the wall.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Personally I enjoyed playing as Knuckles, Gamma and Big way more than playing as Sonic in Adventure 1 :shrug:

E: well that's not entirely fair. The easier Sonic stages were good too. I'm just bad at videogames.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Groovelord Neato posted:

when society collapses, everyone who calls him "eggman" will be the first against the wall.

In this dark future... only one unlikely savior can reclaim the world... Bubsy is back.

Paul.Power posted:

Personally I enjoyed playing as Knuckles, Gamma and Big way more than playing as Sonic in Adventure 1 :shrug:

E: well that's not entirely fair. The easier Sonic stages were good too. I'm just bad at videogames.

Big the Cat is a legend, Jon St. John is the king of voice actors!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Fans hate it when Sonic tries to take itself seriously.

While simultaneously complaining that they can't take this wacky egg shaped man who makes egg shaped robots seriously when he calls himself Eggman.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Szmitten posted:

The whole Sonic Adventure 3 thing is weird, there's already been three. Heroes continues that story and clearly conceptually began with them staring at the number 3 for a long time, 06 is structurally like Adventure 1, and Unleashed is World Adventure in Japan.

Sonic Heroes also known as the game that made me realize Sonic isn't a must buy series anymore.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't think this is necessarily accurate. I was actually surprised how many people I know, when seeing the Sonic Forces promo art of the giant Eggman robots lying waste to a city while Sonic looks on, where thrilled that Sonic games were "taking themselves seriously" again.

Certainly, some fans don't want Sonic to be serious, but I don't think that group is as much of a majority as you might suspect.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hey, I want a story with actual stakes again myself. I am so over Pontac and Graff.

But I don't understand why a lot of the same people who think Sonic needs to have no story or seriousness at all simultaneously can't accept Dr. Eggman.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Hey, I want a story with actual stakes again myself. I am so over Pontac and Graff.

But I don't understand why a lot of the same people who think Sonic needs to have no story or seriousness at all simultaneously can't accept Dr. Eggman.
*shrug* I grew up with Robotnik, so I say Robotnik. I also still say Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles because I'm British and only ever watched the cartoon version of that franchise. That's how my brain rolls.

It's not like Robotnik's any less goofy a name anyway, especially if you throw in some Long John Baldry rolled Rs.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Pretty sure a lot of people were just born in the Sonic Adventure era and are thus forever broken skewed towards serious 3D titles.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TFRazorsaw posted:

While simultaneously complaining that they can't take this wacky egg shaped man who makes egg shaped robots seriously when he calls himself Eggman.

Robotnik is just such a good name

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I hope there's another livestream with Crush 40 concert this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
In the games I played he was called Robotnik you can't tell me that's not his name I'll fight you.