Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

A little overview on what Offspring Seals are. They are custom seals for child characters past chapter 18 that allows them to promote and scale up to the story progression. If I recruited Shigure after completing chapter 23, he would be 12 levels into promotion and have the weapon rank to match that.

This is the major upside to delaying recruitment of these characters, because it's free promoted units with an extra EXP map (Mostly important on Conquest). Shigure may be okay compared to some of the powerhouses on the team, but he's still a very useful Falcon Knight if I needed a flier but have no more seals.

Keep in mind that Offspring Seals are unique to the child character it came with, despite having no indicator of such. So you can't save up Shigure's seal to promote Kana and vice versa.

He'll promote to a Falcon Knight for now, but you'll get a vote on what to do with him soon.

Notre Sagesse is on an island between Hoshido and Nohr.

A coincidence that Sagesse houses the Rainbow Sage? Or maybe he called himself that because he's on Sagesse.

*Party teleports in*

Wow. Leo wasn't kidding. This is the only way to travel.
Did everyone make it through?
Yes, we're all here. I'm almost certain Nohrian forces haven't laid claim to this area yet. We should be safe, for the time being.
Heh, they're probably still looking for us in the forest.
Agreed. This could work out perfectly if we time everything just right.

So I'm just going to assume the first plan to just teleport hundreds of troops into Garon's bedroom wouldn't work, right?

Er... Any idea how to actually find this Rainbow Sage person?
I'm afraid not. I suppose the first thing we should do is find someone to interrogate...
Or...we could try just talking to people.
Like that older guy, over there. He looks like he's been here awhile. Excuse me, sir. Do you have a moment?

Is there a troupe in town? Your costumes are splendid—just splendid!
Um, actually, we're just...travelers. We're looking for...an old friend. Some people call him the Rainbow Sage. Have you heard of him?
The Rainbow Sage is your friend? Hoo hoo hoo! So you're a traveling comedy team—is that it?
What do you mean? Why do you find that funny? I suppose I misspoke earlier. We haven't met the Rainbow Sage yet, but we were hoping to find him. Do you have any idea how we might track him down?
Let me spare you a great deal of pain...

I assure you that we are up to the task. There is a man from Nohr, a prince named Xander with golden hair... Is he one of those few who survived?
Oh, yes! I remember him. You ARE quite knowledgeable. I believe he was the fourth person to meet the Rainbow Sage and survive. The first was Sumeragi, the former king of Hoshido! A young King Garon also made the pilgrimage. I heard the third individual was an unknown knight no one had ever heard of before. But yes, Xander was the fourth!

Oh, that tease.

Stranger, thank you for the warning, but we are undeterred.
Can you tell us how to find the Rainbow Sage?
Well, if you insist...See that mountain over there? That's Mount Sagesse. It's a formidable peak...and at its summit you will find the Sevenfold Sanctuary.
I see. And that's where we can find the Rainbow Sage?

Why always the top floor

Why can't he be like...in the middle floor as a change of pace? And it's always the highest buildings, too.

But let me just warn you one more time...
Most people never even make it to the summit alive.
I...I can't imagine what kinds of challenges await in that place...
Hoo hoo! I've heard every kind of rumor you can imagine. Rooms full of poisonous snakes...trapdoors everywhere... I don't believe a word of it! But the only way to know for sure is to reach the top.
Well, thank you, sir. We truly appreciate all the information you've given us.
It's my pleasure. Good luck to you. Oh, and try not to die. Hoo hoo hoo!
You hear him, everyone! I heartily second that advice. Now, let's make our way to that mountain!

*Time passes as the army moves up to the mountain*

Is everyone all right? So far the climb is strenuous...but not overly dangerous.
You're right. So far, so good. Everyone has managed to keep pace. However, I believe we're approaching that building that that old man warned us about.
Yes. The Sevenfold Sanctuary. How do you feel, Ryoma? Are we ready for this? Perhaps I should go ahead to scout—
Nonsense! We're sticking with you, no matter what awaits in there.
Thank you, Ryoma.
All right, everyone...let's go!

Rainbow Sage is a major gimmick which I'll go into more detail for the actual battle, but here's the deal: Enemies have extremes of stats. That means if an enemy has super high defense, they will have literally zero resistance. Each room is isolated with these specific types of enemies.

Not too dangerous on Birthright because it's just bigger stats but just don't be surprised if even Scarlet struggles to do a decent scratch.

Bench 4 characters: http://www.strawpoll.me/12601209

Decide Shigure's destiny: http://www.strawpoll.me/12601243

Tae fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I always love the jank tower. It's such a weird chapter. Hope you show off all the enemies.

Also, Shigure's personal isn't that bad if you give him a father with good HP like Kaze. Then he can Rally Speed + light healing on the same turn. It's still not a great personal, but Shigure starts in a class that might actually make use of it. If he started as an Archer or something, yeah, his personal would be garbage.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tae posted:

I'm going to alternate between child paralogue and story if it isn't obvious. Will make story seem a bit erratic, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. Unless you just want a straight run through of all of them at once.

It's not.

It's not like the story isn't schizophrenic AF anyway.

edit: I just finished this map on Conquest and the only difficult thing about it was the monk character whos name I dont remember right now landed all 3 of his hex rod shots.

tithin fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 25, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

Yes. The Sevenfold Sanctuary. How do you feel, Ryoma? Are we ready for this? Perhaps I should go ahead to scout—

Nonsense! We're sticking with you, no matter what awaits in there.
Missing a line here, I believe.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Tae posted:

I'm going to alternate between child paralogue and story if it isn't obvious. Will make story seem a bit erratic, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. Unless you just want a straight run through of all of them at once.

Honestly, I'd rather you do them all right away. I know there's a least one that gets really difficult to keep the kid alive on if you wait too long.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
Just a small note concerning Offspring Seals. They only work if the offspring remains in their default class.

I made the mistake of class changing one of the kids who starts in a magic class, but has high physical growths, to a physical class. I was hoping to take advantage of the free levels with a proper growth rate, but found out that the Offspring Seal no longer works for him.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
whoo, another FE thread!

*bookmarks.*

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
It's possible that all this "sagesse" and rainbow imagery might be because the Rainbow Sage lives there, rather than the other way around; it wouldn't be the first time a place was named after a person.

There is a rumor that Pilgrimage Survivor #3 was actually Awakening's Kellam, since he fits the bill pretty well (his base class is literally Knight, nobody had heard of him because he's from Awakening, his name isn't mentioned because of the running gag of people not noticing him...), but it's up to you if you believe it.

As to the stage itself, well, if the enemies have extremely high Defense, just attack with mages, and if they have high Resistance hit them with a sword or something- it's standard procedure!

Incidentally, it really seems like people here aren't all that fond of Shigure (the majority at the time of writing this being in favor of perma-benching him). Not that I can particularly complain, since he doesn't stand out as a character OR as a unit.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I've got nothing against Little Boy Blue, but I'm voting to bench every child character out of principle (with, admittedly, one exception)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
The more I think about it, I'm not really sure why the Offspring Seal exists, rather than... just having child characters scale past promotion. Does anyone forgo using the Offspring Seal? It's especially annoying on certain chapters. Have fun trying to recruit Shiro if you wait too long.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I always assumed that the unnamed third pilgrim to the Sevenfold Sanctuary was Priam. He's the kind of guy who'd go hopping between time and dimensions to get stronger, and he wields a legendary weapon as well.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Camel Pimp posted:

The more I think about it, I'm not really sure why the Offspring Seal exists, rather than... just having child characters scale past promotion. Does anyone forgo using the Offspring Seal? It's especially annoying on certain chapters. Have fun trying to recruit Shiro if you wait too long.

The levels you get from using an Offspring seal are based on the growths of the child, I'm assuming the stat gains are the average expected gains, but I don't really know for sure. But the point is that you could theoretically get better stats if you level up manually than use the Seal. It's not really that big of difference, obviously. However, a better reason, and a reason why I sometimes do not use an Offspring Seal, is that you can use a heart seal to put the unit in a different class at a lower level, allowing the unit to have more time to build weapon XP, get skills, or take advantage of better growths. Although, like what was said previously, using a heart seal makes it impossible to use the Offspring Seal, so you have to decide if it is worth having a unit potentially much weaker than everyone else. Still, it is nice to have the option.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I almost always (90%~) use the Offspring Seals. Saves thousands of gold on Master Seals.

This chapter is fun... as long as you don't screw up and send your mages down the RES side and your physical units down the DEF side; then it gets challenging.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

If you get the child units past a certain chapter, the Offspring Seals also give automatic D weapon rank in their promotions' secondary weapons, which is a godsend.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You also get the seals so that you can pick what the kids promoted class is. If it auto scaled them any further the kids would have to be locked to some default class

tallboarLittlehand
Sep 7, 2011
Is Orochi perma-benched now?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

tallboarLittlehand posted:

Nobody mentioned it at all when she was off the list last vote, and I'm out of master seals so she's out anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------

C Support

You're the biggest secret keeper in the whole army.

How often are pretty women able to trick you?

That looks like way too much work anyway.

You were raised from a young age to take the mantle of Saizo, right?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

You're the biggest secret keeper in the whole army.

Finally, someone calls Azura out on her bullshit in-universe! I mean, even if she can't tell you EVERYTHING (for whatever reason) you'd expect her to tell you as much as she CAN, right? But no, she doesn't even give an excuse for staying quiet, let alone anything useful. This gets even stupider in another route.

Tae posted:

How often are pretty women able to trick you?

Yes, Hinata is stupid and gullible. Do we really need multiple support trees to focus on that?

Tae posted:

That looks like way too much work anyway.

At least they both have points, but for the best performance they'd want to find the right middle ground.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Voting will end within an hour or so.

-------------------------------------------------

C Supports

I know when I am in the presence of greatness.

You speak in a fairly distinct way. Why is that?

One day you're going to be king, and I need to be strong enough to defend you.

Silas... Do you think I should ditch and go home?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

I know when I am in the presence of greatness.

Great? Maybe. Great WHAT? ...Lemme get back to you on that.

Tae posted:

One day you're going to be king, and I need to be strong enough to defend you.

Takumi, you need to chill out.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I always kinda liked the idea of Setsuna as a unit. Bows are redic so who needs a strength stat, just focus on speed. In reality it doesn't with it so well, at least in my experience

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

If you get the child units past a certain chapter, the Offspring Seals also give automatic D weapon rank in their promotions' secondary weapons, which is a godsend.
Yep, post-chapter 20 on any of the three routes. Which is great because not only can the kids immediately be able pick up Iron/any other D-rank weapons like you said, but they also promote level 6 and immediately pick up any level 5 promoted skill like Astra or Luna, cutting down on skill grinding immensely.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Vote's over. Shigure, Azura, Kana, Mozu are out.

edit: I counted wrong, Mozu's in. The top 3 are still out.

--------------

C Support

I always say, "You must have options!"

I won't disappoint you!

I also get hurt sometimes.

It's like a bad habit I just can't kick.

Tae fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 25, 2017

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Tae posted:

Silas... Do you think I should ditch and go home?

drat it, didn't you join because you DON'T have anywhere to go back home to?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Azura and the two kids are out for this mission. With Izana in, I now have way too many healers for any team to have.

I'm going to split up my team, partly because I have a good mix of magic and physical attackers, partly because cramming like 16 characters through a tiny room will drive me mad.

I mentioned in the last update that this map's gimmick is having all the enemies have one extreme stat at the cost of another. This General bricks the hell out of any magic user, but dies to a single finger flick.

Silas and Kagero lead the charge for the High Resistance half of the map.

Meanwhile, the right half is basically all weak to magic stuff. Finally, time for Sakura to start murdering again!

The other thing about maxing out one stat is that the rest of their attributes are kinda mediocre to bad.

Feast or Famine Felicia.

The yellow glows are stairs, which don't take movement to actually use but sitting on top of it will prevent other units from entering.

Izana's first victim drops a Rabbit Spirit.

At least I know where Takumi stands on literal zero defense. That level up is bad, though. He needs strength and speed and is not hitting them.

It's great that Rinkah has just enough magic to be considered a great "spellslinger" with her Bolt Axe cause she's the "tank" for team Right Half. Her counterkill nets her a Master Seal.

Okay, let's put this into perspective: Rinkah started at 28 HP when she was changed into a Dread Fighter. It's been 10 levels since the change.

She hit a 35% HP growth eight times. :psyduck:

Takumi nets a counterkill as well, also a Master Seal.

Enemy hit rates against Felicia always make me laugh. It's silly how early you get Tomebreaker in your party.

Mozu hits all the good offensive stats here, as she's the only speedy weapon triangle user at this point. Well, technically Rinkah is faster but she's pretty dedicated to shurikens and the Bolt Axe.

The animation looks like Hinoka killed the maid with the handle of her spear, which is extra rude.

Rinkah kills both Heroes over the course of a full turn, while the rest of the party slowly moves up to their respective rooms.

I don't get this room. It's an all-bow room that bricks magic attacks, but those two Adventurers literally only have Physic.

Still can't double. Hinoka really needs to level up quicker to learn Rally Speed.

Oh, she didn't hit her 80% HP growth this time. She did pick up Clarity which will be...useless, because there's not much debuffs in Birthright.

Also picked up a Silver Katana, which will be used to fund for more Tonics.

Free Silver Club, continuing to mass move the party up to the middle.

Hinoka is becoming a good tank, just need a bit more HP to actually take more than one hit.

18 speed for Silas is passable, it's a shame that 24 defense should be better than it is. The main problem is that he's still stuck in D lances, so no Guard Naginata for him.

Random healing nets Sakura another good level. Underrated speedy nuker that never shows off because she's too busy keeping everyone alive until now.

Kagero and Kaze unlock their respective sides' treasures. That's two Hexing Rods in my possession now.

The middle room has a different gimmick, this time maxing out on one attack stat over the other.

...Except this guy has 30 magic while wielding a Steel Naginata. How stupid were everyone else except 4 people to not win before us???

I'm hope that 35 skill is worth it for 0 magic with a goddamn Flame Shuriken.

Wait

is that TWO speed????

Only Master of Arms stab with an axe into a shoryuken

Hinoka picks up a Bloom stave.

What the gently caress? Why does it say 5 move?

Uh

Anyways, he eventually picks a free Flame Shuriken, which will be forged with Felicia's to make her even more stupidly nuclear.

Yes, his gimmick is that he has capped strength but has 15 HP.

No seriously, what kind of trial is this.

After Sakura kills the Zerker, this Swordmaster shows up with...0 skill. Okay, that is the least bad of these gimmicks because he has max speed.

Slightly more annoying because max speed makes him kind of annoying to hit.

Oh boy, here's the final batch of gimmick enemies.

His gimmick is that he has a lot of HP. That's it. He sacrificed literally all of his killing power to be a HP shield. Not even a decent tank, just gobs of HP.

The pair-up behind the boss is the same as the one I just killed. So let's check out the boss. Must be a super awesome gimmick

....He has none.

This whole mission has been disappointing and confusing.

Kaze and Kagero abuse the HP blobs with Poison Strike, followed by the killing strikes

Okay now he has 6 move again. That was weird.

But make no mistake—the challenge is far from over. Now...show me what you can do!

Magnificent... You have proven yourself...worthy...

What a mighty trial

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

0 Mag, 0 Spd Flame Shuriken Master Ninja is beautiful. :allears:

I love those random generics with magic weapons but no mag to use them with. It's just like the Bolt Axe Berserker.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if I am more disappointed or impressed with how easy that level is.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Here's how I would have done it:

Have them have crazy high stats everywhere except for their weak spots.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
This makes me wonder if it would be possible to have them switch around zeroed and maxed stats every turn. At least for the later ones, the ones with one defense stat maxed and one zero were alright as an idea.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Junpei posted:

Here's how I would have done it:

Have them have crazy high stats everywhere except for their weak spots.

In that case, they would just dodge everything and hit (and they would hit with "crazy high" skill) like a truck. Twice.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

tallboarLittlehand posted:

Out of all the characters, I think Orochi benefits the most from the DLC classes. It doesn't completely fix her speed problems, but her magic gets so high it doesn't matter. I've done it twice and she's been one of the MVPs of the run both times.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Supports're kind of bland this time... I can't really think of anything to comment on (though that might be sleep deprivation- I haven't been able to sleep well for over a week now, for no apparent reason).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

What happened with Kaden is that he took the stairs up to the next room, and he lost 1 movement because he was one square away from the stair tile before climbing up.

Yes, it's as dumb as it sounds. And yes, that movement loss penalty is never mentioned anywhere.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

BlazeEmblem posted:

In that case, they would just dodge everything and hit (and they would hit with "crazy high" skill) like a truck. Twice.

In my opinion, being challenged is better than being bored.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Better to have one attack stat (STR MAG) and one defense stat (DEF, RES) maxed. So they die easy but absolutely wreck things.

I'd even toss them bronze weapons but dodge tanking already seems to suck in this game :argh:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean all this sounds nice, but that doesn't fix the room with half the bow users having only Physics. I haven't played lunatic in a long while, but it feels like something I'm missing with that.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Tae posted:

I mean all this sounds nice, but that doesn't fix the room with half the bow users having only Physics. I haven't played lunatic in a long while, but it feels like something I'm missing with that.
They're unequipped on Lunatic too. It's pretty stupid!

This map sucks. It's annoying for solos because it's a rout, which means you have to slog it out against foes that both take and deal very little damage. It's another good chance to level guys up for skills though, because the 0 Def/Res guys suck enough that you can get easy kills even with E rank weapons.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C Supports

Oh! That isn't poison, milord.

I don't want to disappoint you, but I'm afraid I don't have much to tell.

You're not harboring some secret desire to become a fashion maven?

Don't play coy; I know you're hiding in the shadows.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Rinkah's dedication to gaining HP makes me think of my current run of Awakening where Kellam over the course of 20 level ups has always gotten speed, making him faster than Lucina. Sometimes the RNG just breaks, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

Oh! That isn't poison, milord.

Run, Ryoma, run!

Tae posted:

I don't want to disappoint you, but I'm afraid I don't have much to tell.

Hayato's sounding like a particularly eager tourist or something, from what I can tell. Not that I've ever met a tourist, but that's about how I'd picture one acting.

Tae posted:

You're not harboring some secret desire to become a fashion maven?

I can't be the only one who sees Oboro as a schoolgirl with an incredibly obvious crush (or something to that effect), right?

Tae posted:

Don't play coy; I know you're hiding in the shadows.

Kaden takes this "repaying favors" business way too seriously sometimes.

Space Bat posted:

Rinkah's dedication to gaining HP makes me think of my current run of Awakening where Kellam over the course of 20 level ups has always gotten speed, making him faster than Lucina. Sometimes the RNG just breaks, I guess.

Kellam actually has surprisingly high Speed growth for a Knight, from what I remember. Now, I'll admit that ALWAYS gaining Speed is unusual, but getting Speed in itself isn't all that surprising.

• Locked thread