Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

swickles posted:

Yeah, that was fairly recently. I was curious why a random season would go and not any before or after it, so I took a look at the episodes in that season. The My Morning Jacket episode is season 6, and as we saw with Scrubs, the music licensing doesn't always translate to streaming services, so my theory is that there are some licensing issues with music that somehow causes them to pull the season instead of the single episode. This is my own rampant speculation so its probably no where near the reason why.
I think the My Morning Jacket episode and the Mr. Pibb episode are the only two episodes of that entire series that stand out in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

X-O posted:

That writing has been on the wall for a long time. A lot of people are going to want to pull out to do their own services and Netflix is pumping out so much original content that I don't think a lot of that older stuff is priority for them anymore.

The financial arrangements are also different, now. Used to be that Netflix would pay a royalty every time a movie or TV episode was streamed (with a cap on those payments for stuff they knew would be insanely popular). A few years ago, they changed their terms to "we'll pay X money for this content for Y amount of time." This is why studios are generally only putting stuff on Netflix when they've run out of ways to monetize it (with a few exceptions, like when Netflix put a dump truck full of cash at the front door for their Disney deal).

Studios were also more willing to play ball with Netflix when it was just a content distributor. Now that it's in the business of actually producing content, it's a direct competitor. This is the whole reason Starz ran away screaming when its streaming contract was up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is why it bothers me when people's first reaction to hearing about a show is "is it on Netflix?" Eventually the only new shows anyone will ever watch are Netflix originals cause they'll be the only thing they can watch without having to move their rear end and Netflix 100% know this

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

This is why it bothers me when people's first reaction to hearing about a show is "is it on Netflix?" Eventually the only new shows anyone will ever watch are Netflix originals cause they'll be the only thing they can watch without having to move their rear end and Netflix 100% know this

I guess I'm on the other end in that I think Netflix has so loving many new shows that I can't keep up at all as to what they even are, and while I like the comedy specials and documentaries and the apparently rapidly disappearing library of old shows, I'm frustrated with the service, and when its only real selling point is that it was more convenient than piracy, that's a problem. 8 bucks for some good shows, old shows, docs, and comedy? Sure! 10 for a confusing swamp of bullshit and a dwindling catalog? Uhh.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IRQ posted:

I guess I'm on the other end in that I think Netflix has so loving many new shows that I can't keep up at all as to what they even are, and while I like the comedy specials and documentaries and the apparently rapidly disappearing library of old shows, I'm frustrated with the service, and when its only real selling point is that it was more convenient than piracy, that's a problem. 8 bucks for some good shows, old shows, docs, and comedy? Sure! 10 for a confusing swamp of bullshit and a dwindling catalog? Uhh.

"Dwindling" doesn't quite cover it. I forget which website it was, maybe Thrillist, but someone did a study and showed that maybe four years ago, the streaming library comprised like 13,000 movies and TV shows. Today it's a hair under 4,000.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Netflix is great if you enjoy films from 2003.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I actually quit Netflix last year and don't miss it. I just get it for a month at a time when a good show comes out. Otherwise there's too much stuff to watch.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Timby posted:

"Dwindling" doesn't quite cover it. I forget which website it was, maybe Thrillist, but someone did a study and showed that maybe four years ago, the streaming library comprised like 13,000 movies and TV shows. Today it's a hair under 4,000.

True, but there is also a quality issue. There was a ton of movies that no one watched because they were made on a million dollar budget in 2004.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Timby posted:

Studios were also more willing to play ball with Netflix when it was just a content distributor. Now that it's in the business of actually producing content, it's a direct competitor. This is the whole reason Starz ran away screaming when its streaming contract was up.

Doesf Netflix offer their content to broadcsters like Starz? A sharing deal so they can put some Netflix Originals in their schedule and Netflix can stream their stuff?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bring back old gbs posted:

Doesf Netflix offer their content to broadcsters like Starz? A sharing deal so they can put some Netflix Originals in their schedule and Netflix can stream their stuff?

No.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Old men yell at The Cloud.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

bring back old gbs posted:

No, but now Comcast cable boxes are capable of running Netflix, so you get a huge demographic of people who have both cable and Netflix and can run it all on one device. Also, a lot of Netflix originals are also available on DVD/Blu-Ray.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Netflix also releases some of their stuff on DVD/BR and was licencing shows to TV before their international expansion (House Of Cards airing on French TV specifically comes to mind).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Forgot I had a digital antennae for my TV. Turned it on for the first time in ages since I got nostalgic for nighttime TV when I was a kid, and now I'm watching Carson on some random local channel. This is great, it's been ages since I've seen it. What a chill-rear end show compared to today's loud, frantically-paced late night shows.

e: I am shocked at how novel commercials are to me in 2017 as a person who hasn't watched cable in almost a decade. They're hilarious.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 26, 2017

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I dunno. I mean, I see why they're pulling towards making their own original content, but I dislike the notion of getting rid of the other things they stream. I mean, if I wanted to watch CW, then FX, then HBO and have to buy separate streaming services, why not just go back to cable and a DVR? It's just as expensive in the end; it all adds up. I liked the notion of having Hulu for shows that are currently airing and Netflix to watch seasons that already occurred.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pan Dulce posted:

I dunno. I mean, I see why they're pulling towards making their own original content, but I dislike the notion of getting rid of the other things they stream. I mean, if I wanted to watch CW, then FX, then HBO and have to buy separate streaming services, why not just go back to cable and a DVR? It's just as expensive in the end; it all adds up. I liked the notion of having Hulu for shows that are currently airing and Netflix to watch seasons that already occurred.

Again, a huge part of it is that the minute Netflix became a direct competitor to the studios / networks, they were far less willing to put stuff on streaming. That's only increased as Netflix gets stingier and stingier with how much it pays for content -- they're spending $6 billion on content this year, but the vast majority of that is for stuff it can actually own. Which really isn't a stupid strategy -- think of a company basing its value and marketing strategy on the number of followers it has on Facebook, when Facebook could turn off its account tomorrow without a second thought.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pan Dulce posted:

I dunno. I mean, I see why they're pulling towards making their own original content, but I dislike the notion of getting rid of the other things they stream. I mean, if I wanted to watch CW, then FX, then HBO and have to buy separate streaming services, why not just go back to cable and a DVR?

This is what networks want you to do.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Timby posted:

Welcome to the rat of the world's Netflix experience since forever ;)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man Christa Miller's face in season 8 of Scrubs

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Just watched the second episode of season 3 of Review. Andy Daly is fantastic, Jessica St. Clair is fantastic, Megan Stevenson is fantastic in her limited role. That Helen Keller impersonation, holy hell Seriously anyone who likes funny things needs to watch Review if they haven't.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Croatoan posted:

Is Stitchers any good? Someone told me that since I liked Fringe, I'd like Stitchers. I doubt this as I have never heard of it but apparently it's getting a 3rd season?

This is from a while ago but I wanted to answer.

No.

The main character is the boring emotionless/uncaring archetype and they never really do anything creative or interesting with the main premise the show is based on. It does have some Eureka/Warehouse 13 alums in it who do a decent job but mostly that just makes me sad they aren't on a better show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You'd think even X-Files would realize actually showing the JFK assassination as conspiracy comes across as tacky.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Calaveron posted:

Man Christa Miller's face in season 8 of Scrubs

The doctor who did that should have had his hands hacked off.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

You'd think even X-Files would realize actually showing the JFK assassination as conspiracy comes across as tacky.

Nah.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Lurdiak posted:

In the 90s? Not remotely.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Just finished that episode with The Cigarette Man.
He killed JFK? Of course
MLK? Of course
Aliens? Of course(or flip a coin at least)

It just fits the character so perfect.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lurdiak posted:

So much about the X Files was 90s tacky does that even register?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I started watching Twin Peaks for the first time and holy poo poo 1989.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So Med School huh
Scrubs had a pretty good series finale and man I feel like this is sorta cheapening it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Like this feels worse than saved by the bell the college years or when they tried doing save by the bell high school again but Screech was the principal and Mr Belding the creepy janitor

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Just finished that episode with The Cigarette Man.
He killed JFK? Of course
MLK? Of course
Aliens? Of course(or flip a coin at least)

It just fits the character so perfect.

The fact that he's a fatalist and wishes he could write terrible dimestore fiction instead is such a goofy character trait.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

feedmyleg posted:

I loved how Genndy made his 2D version of Clone Wars keep that same minimal-dialogue, visual storytelling feel. I hate that he's been wasting his massive talent making Hotel Transylvania films.

I didn't really feel like his art / animation style fit well with Star Wars, but even still it was worlds better than that ugly boring CG marionette poo poo they've been doing ever since.

feedmyleg posted:

He directed the second, and is writing and directing the third. But maybe it's directing in a hands-off Wes Anderson Fantastic Mr. Fox kinda way? I think it's just a solid paying gig since nobody's exactly buying up 2D animated pitches these days.

I was really excited when he was consulting on Iron Man II and working on Power of the Dark Crystal. Seems like he'd be great for big-budget action films which are so heavily animated in their big set pieces.

I have to be honest, if you can tolerate Adam Sandler in a voice acting capacity and a couple other terrible animated movie tropes like dance scenes, the Hotel Transylvania movies are pretty passable as far as kids' movies go. You could do so much, much worse.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You guys weren't joking, Patriot is some of the most assured, capable TV I've seen in awhile, and the fact that it is so intelligent and nuanced while being in the spy genre is the biggest suprise yet. American TV does a terrible job there. This is some film level poo poo right here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

You guys weren't joking, Patriot is some of the most assured, capable TV I've seen in awhile, and the fact that it is so intelligent and nuanced while being in the spy genre is the biggest suprise yet. American TV does a terrible job there. This is some film level poo poo right here.

I know, it's nuts. It plays out like a 10 hour long film and not a second of it is wasted.

"I know what you're thinking. Why Twizzlers?"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's got some really great shots in it too.

This was one of my favorites (possible nsfw, I can't actually tell what part of human anatomy is in that b/w photograph on the right) http://imgur.com/8znWXsG

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Am I the only one excited for the Impractical Jokers/Carbonaro Effect crossover this week?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLR8x_R3U_0

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm binging Imposters and I absolutely love it. I've managed to burn through 6 episodes in just one night. Somehow I only have one episode left before I'm caught up and I' already sad as hell about that. Really so much more to this show than I expected and it keeps throwing (little) twists at me that I didn't see coming at all. Including out of nowhere Uma Thurman! <-- cast spoiler so if you know the name its not a real spoiler, but I was surprised.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 28, 2017

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Am I the only one excited for the Impractical Jokers/Carbonaro Effect crossover this week?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLR8x_R3U_0

Only time I've enjoyed Billy on the Street was when he got told to gently caress off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSpnuniNznc

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Well this is a thing we've all joked about for years.

quote:

LONDON – The contestants of a British reality show that marooned them in the wilderness for a year as a social experiment have returned to civilization – only to discover the series was canceled several months ago and no one bothered to tell them. The Channel 4 program, “Eden,” assembled 23 men and women and dispatched them to a remote corner of the Scottish Highlands, where they were told to set up a self-sufficient community. The group was cut off from any contact with the outside world, and had to “decide on their own rules and laws, build their own shelter, grow their own food and raise their own livestock,” according to a statement released when the show was first announced. The year-long experiment was recorded by a four-strong crew as well as personal cameras and a fixed rig. Four episodes of the show – covering March, April and May – were broadcast last summer. But ratings slipped from 1.7 million to 800,000, leading Channel 4 to pull the plug on further updates.

No one bothered to tell the remaining contestants, who reportedly endured boredom and infighting, were reduced at one point to eating chicken feed, and only emerged last week from their less than splendid isolation to discover that their fellow Brits voted to leave the European Union and Donald Trump was elected president of the United States.

I can't tell who lost out most here, the dudes who got to be sheltered from that for a year or the ones who came home to the madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Whoever lost, we won.

• Locked thread