Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

He's slowly turning into a zombie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

His parents were yellow because they were actually leaves

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Tunicate posted:

His parents were yellow because they were actually leaves

You can't fool me, his dad was a red leaf! :argh:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A cool thing I noticed about this 2nd episode is that one of the first things that happens to Jack is that they very nearly slit his own throat and he has to do a quick maneuver to only lose some beard. it really didn't stand out to me at all on 1st watch, but on rewatch it really stands out as it's own scene.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Really hoping they release a soundtrack download for this season cause there have already been some killer tracks

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bust Rodd posted:

A cool thing I noticed about this 2nd episode is that one of the first things that happens to Jack is that they very nearly slit his own throat and he has to do a quick maneuver to only lose some beard. it really didn't stand out to me at all on 1st watch, but on rewatch it really stands out as it's own scene.

It's kind of insane how much of a force of nature the Daughters are. Jack was utterly terrified by them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
But at the same time, Jack still didn't die, walked into a trap like 3 times without dying and even dealt with one of them. We've seen the training they've gone through...

Jack's muscle fiber must basically be bridge cable at this point

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Bust Rodd posted:

But at the same time, Jack still didn't die, walked into a trap like 3 times without dying and even dealt with one of them. We've seen the training they've gone through...

Jack's muscle fiber must basically be bridge cable at this point

Spending fifty years perpetually in your physical prime fighting for your pointless life hones the body as it shatters the mind. It's like a Bowflex of sorrow.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cabbit posted:

It's like a Bowflex of sorrow.

I could see Aku marketing that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cabbit posted:

Spending fifty years perpetually in your physical prime fighting for your pointless life hones the body as it shatters the mind. It's like a Bowflex of sorrow.
Mods, thread name change please

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Chokes McGee posted:

It's kind of insane how much of a force of nature the Daughters are. Jack was utterly terrified by them.

It also makes you realize how weak Scaramouch was in comparison despite apparently being Aku's number 1 assassin. Then again, after 50 years of being hunted, Scaramouch might only be number 1 because Jack killed everyone else above him.

DEFAULT! DEFAULT! DEFAULT!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Rhonne posted:

It also makes you realize how weak Scaramouch was in comparison despite apparently being Aku's number 1 assassin. Then again, after 50 years of being hunted, Scaramouch might only be number 1 because Jack killed everyone else above him.

Well, also the fact that it was a 1 v 1 fight, where Scaramouch very loudly announced his presence and gave Jack ample time to mentally prepare. As opposed to a 7 v 1 fight, where Jack was caught completely off-guard, and was literally getting the pants beaten off him before he could even register what was happening...

No really. He really was "getting the pants beaten off of him" in this case :cheeky:

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 24, 2017

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Rhonne posted:

What if there had been 7 Scaramouches? Jack killed the lone daughter relatively quickly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dazerbeams posted:

What if there had been 7 Scaramouches?

Jack would do the fandango.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Tunicate posted:

Jack would do the fandango.

You only need to kill two of them to do that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have to imagine that Scaramouche is also used to any opposition being rebel cyborgs, and probably hadn't tangled with a real warrior before, or at least a flesh one that doesn't just get instagibbed by the Tuning Blade

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dazerbeams posted:

What if there had been 7 Scaramouches?

The basis for the best musical episode of a show ever

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
So I've just rewatched the second episode for the third time now and it still hasn't stopped being awesome.

How does something come together so well with so many different elements? They must have really had some passionate people working on this.

I'm hoping they can keep this up for the rest of the series.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I know it's basically impossible to replace Mako's extremely unique voice, but part of me still hoped. Ah well. I'll try to get used to it, as the rest of the show is quite kickass so far.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I know it's basically impossible to replace Mako's extremely unique voice, but part of me still hoped. Ah well. I'll try to get used to it, as the rest of the show is quite kickass so far.

Remember, this was Baldwin's first attempt at this too; even a lot of really exceptional actors (Chris Ayres as Freeza, Sean Schemmel as Goku, and etc.) didn't sound that great when it was their first time voicing their characters. Baldwin himself has stated that he wasn't happy with how his performance sounded; and from what I listened to, it sounds like Greg really understands Mako's speech patterns and mannerisms. So I'm not ruling out a truly great performance yet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It was still pretty good anyway.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I wonder if maybe getting someone entirely different wouldn't have been better.

He's not bad, but the imitation makes the difference all the more apparent. Sort of like trying to wear two pieces of clothing that seem to be the same color--only they're not quite so the difference sticks out more.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I honestly wonder why they didn't go with the evil lady version of Aku. Or at least bring her back to carry some of the slack.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Das Boo posted:

You can't fool me, his dad was a red leaf! :argh:

Woah, way to be insensitive. They go by "native flora" now, man.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Vicissitude posted:

Woah, way to be insensitive. They go by "native flora" now, man.

Bitch, I am 1/16 cherry tree!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Mr. Fowl posted:

I wonder if maybe getting someone entirely different wouldn't have been better.

He's not bad, but the imitation makes the difference all the more apparent. Sort of like trying to wear two pieces of clothing that seem to be the same color--only they're not quite so the difference sticks out more.

There was a pre-release interview where Genndy mentions seriously considering that option (or the other option, making Aku into some sort of silent character) before they went gently caress it and decided to go with an impression. It's the final season, you can't radically change or write out Aku in the last ten episodes.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

At the hotel this weekend. No cartoon network. Will have to wait for Wednesday.

Wish me luck, thread. See you then.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mycot posted:

There was a pre-release interview where Genndy mentions seriously considering that option (or the other option, making Aku into some sort of silent character) before they went gently caress it and decided to go with an impression. It's the final season, you can't radically change or write out Aku in the last ten episodes.

I'll be honest with you, I just thought the original guy was rusty from picking the role back up. It's pretty good, doesn't really jar me because the less harsh voice fits the "meh gently caress it" attitude he has now.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Honestly, yeah, I do kinda think that "Mexican grandpa" voice is a decent replacement, especially when it comes to evoking just how tired Aku is with his role in his constant clashes with Jack. Dude went from ruling for hundreds or thousands of years unopposed to probably coming close to a nervous breakdown if he ever thought he was about to confront Jack, even if they apparently haven't even been face to face in decades.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Chokes McGee posted:

I'll be honest with you, I just thought the original guy was rusty from picking the role back up. It's pretty good, doesn't really jar me because the less harsh voice fits the "meh gently caress it" attitude he has now.

I don't think the direction they went with Aku's growing apathy was thought up of coincidentally. It works as a way to explain Aku having less appearances, compared to the original series where Aku would often be the one with the most lines per episode.

Of course maybe I'm completely wrong and one of the upcoming episodes is this season's equivalent of Aku's Fairy Tales.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Honestly, yeah, I do kinda think that "Mexican grandpa" voice is a decent replacement, especially when it comes to evoking just how tired Aku is with his role in his constant clashes with Jack. Dude went from ruling for hundreds or thousands of years unopposed to probably coming close to a nervous breakdown if he ever thought he was about to confront Jack, even if they apparently haven't even been face to face in decades.

As someone who has actually done extremely harsh martial arts training for about 6 months...trust me. Looking FORWARD to something you know is going to hurt a lot is a LOT worse than actually going through it. The mental panic I always felt before each drill was always so much worse than the actual drills themselves. So if anything, those decades would be all the more time for him to freak himself out...

And that's not even mentioning how much PANIC he must have felt as he kept watching him, and realized "...holy cow...he's...not...aging! What the heck?! WHAT THE HECK?!?"

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 26, 2017

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Time to meet our fates.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
THEY'RE COMING :frog:

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
That's a whole lotta blood you've lost there Jack....

bondster
May 6, 2007

The color work has been loving astounding

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The symbolic wolf survived :unsmith:

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
I'm gonna be so mad when the daughters kill Wolf Friend

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So who was it that called that Jack's never killed anyone?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
God drat this show is so good you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Death is failure :geno:

• Locked thread