Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Mover posted:

The Spot's been cool since the 90s Spider-Man cartoon imo

That was a really memorable episode. They did a pretty good job showing he was kind of a goof who just happened to end up with this absurdly strong power. He went through a whole character arc in, what, 22 minutes?
I've never seen him in any other version of Spider-Man but I'd probably still see that as the definitive version of him anyway.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Dude if you think 8-Ball is a bad character you have no soul

I love that 8-Ball has become the de facto mascot of this thread. Nobody has a bad word to say about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I just finished reading a long story arc in some 70s Iron Man comics about the mysterious and apparently quite powerful Black Lama:

At some point he went around instigating super-villains (like the Yellow Claw, Mandarin, MODOK, the Mad Thinker, etc) to fight one another in a contest for a golden orb that would bring them both the power and inner clarity / peace enough to achieve their ambitions:

The story got interrupted by Mantis-related business in Southeast Asia, and then on it went --

-- all while the Black Lama apparently goes crazier and crazier in such a way that's literally contagious.

The ends up with Firebrand (improbably involved more because Tony Stark wants to date his sister than anything else, and best known now for getting killed by Scourge in the mass murder at the Bar with No Name) and Iron Man in the Black Lama's home dimension. It turns out our dimension was making Black Lama insane, and oops - because he was crazy, he didn't think "I should just go home," he thought "I should send home someone to take my place." And because the Black Lama, in his home dimension, was someone powerful, he sought someone powerful and ambitious (the above-mentioned villains).

Who was he in this other dimension?

I checked all my OHOTMUs for this guy, and nothing, but there's something slightly more official out there.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow, way to ruin the mysterious new villain. Goes from Grahf to Gerald.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I was always intrigued by the "new" Hate Monger in the Marvel Universe trading cards. That guy seemed to have psychic powers from the card back. Did the new version stick around long?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Googling says his later name was Animus and based on his powers being identical to hate monger but not requiring a hate gun, and having no backstory, it looks like he was an aborted attempt to move hate monger away from being psychic hitler. It looks like he made a handful of appearances in the early 90s but never went anywhere.

He's apparently in the handbook.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Everything about that guy is the most 90s thing ever. Hitler's too old fashioned, we need Evil David Bowie to be the new Hate-Monger!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Brofessor Slayton posted:

That was a really memorable episode. They did a pretty good job showing he was kind of a goof who just happened to end up with this absurdly strong power. He went through a whole character arc in, what, 22 minutes?
I've never seen him in any other version of Spider-Man but I'd probably still see that as the definitive version of him anyway.

I love that 8-Ball has become the de facto mascot of this thread. Nobody has a bad word to say about him.

The Spot also had a really good comic during Spidey's Brand New Day....I think Fred Van Lente wrote it. It turned Spot into a somewhat tortured soul. His appearances in Waid's Daredevil were pretty good as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spot was pretty fun in Modok's 11.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was not around yesterday to grab one to put up so here's a triple shot today.

Day 38: Master Order and Lord Chaos and The In-Betweener

Master Order and Lord Chaos, like a lot of Marvel Cosmic characters, are abstract manifestations of concepts and ideas, in this case the balance of order and chaos in the Marvel Universe. The In-Betweener is their servant and as the name states he's their mediator of sorts. These guys are semi regulars when it comes to the big cosmic stuff. Recently Order and Chaos usurped The Living Tribunal and then merged with the In-Betweener and decided to take his place. They claimed with the universe freshly remade it threw all the rules out the window and they decided to take over and institute the rules the way they wanted. In addition to taking out The Living Tribunal they also disposed of most of the Celestials.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Message from the big giant head!

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Didn't know Professor X was Master Order. This explains so much!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Hair: Inapplicable

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Durability: Totally Indestructible
Agility: Metahuman
Reflexes: Metahuman
Fighting Skill: Minimal

:laffo:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Can't blame the guy, I wouldn't bother learning anything about fighting if I was 100% invincible either.

The In-Betweener, master of making a fist with his thumb on the inside.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Jim Starlin's Warlock run was basically a really good take on Michael Moorcock, but with capes, hence the fixation on ORDER and CHAOS, and a guy who represents the Balance. Although Warlock was the Eternal Champion, he had a soul stealing weapon after all.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It's kind of great what a huge percentage of these characters X-0 is pulling up have the throughline of:

1) Were the pet character of some writer in the 1970s or early 1980s
2) Everyone completely forgets about them
3) They appear in the first version of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe
4) A couple more years pass and Mark Gruenwald goes "ehh, might as well use this person in one of my comics"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 39: Surtur

I think most of us know Surtur from the Thor books, but my question is simple. How in the world does that fire underwear work? I mean even for comic book physics that's a stretch.

Nailed it with those distinguishing features though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Like, demolitions? Or something else? How does one get into that industry? Walk me through a typical day at work.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lobok posted:

Like, demolitions? Or something else? How does one get into that industry? Walk me through a typical day at work.

*destroys Lobok*

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like when the data sheet straight-up contradicts the drawings. Like how it says Master Order's eyes are "inapplicable" despite them being on both drawings and brown.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Even though some parts of that design are really goofy, I prefer it to the modern interpretations where he just looks like a lord of the rings Balrog.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Yeah, Surtur looks drat good under the care of a good artist, but I'm not too sure how he holds up in the hands of an average one.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

X-O posted:

Day 39: Surtur

I think most of us know Surtur from the Thor books, but my question is simple. How in the world does that fire underwear work? I mean even for comic book physics that's a stretch.

Nailed it with those distinguishing features though.

Is that b&w illustration an early Mignola?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes in that it's very much Mignola-esque, but no in that it's Kirby/Coletta from Thor #176.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Haven't been around much the last few days so I've missed some entries. But we're back with someone who is amazing.

Day 40: Punisher 2099

Jake F'n Gallows. Punisher 2099 is another of the great hits of the 2099 line. If you aren't acquainted with Jake you have been missing out. Punisher 2099 is a rad dude. Al Ewing just recently brought him back in the Contest of Champions series that left our lives too soon. Read this then go track down some Punisher 2099 stories. You'll be better for it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How do the teeth of the skull not dig into his thighs all the time.

Also: "grenazers". Love it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Base of operations: Mom's basement.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What bullshit. He canonically lives on The Edge, not the USA.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

With his last name being Gallows I bet he struggled real hard when deciding to resurrect the Punisher name or go with The Hangman/Executioner.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't need a jet pack, I JUST NEED HATE

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Matthew Axel

M. Axel

KING MAXEL

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

Matthew Axel

M. Axel

KING MAXEL

Shame. If his last name were just Axe, he could be Mr. Axe, M.Axe (MAX) or my favourite, Matt Axe (MATTACKS).

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Punisher 2099 is a hilarious series. Pat Mills wrote a lot of it and it just reads like him jacking Dredd up to 11 and taking the piss out of this insane murder-man.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So he works for and is the enemy of The Public Eye?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

Correct. I forget the details but he has a device that pops up a giant pixel skull scrambler over his face so the FutureCops don't know who he is.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 29, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Green Intern posted:

So he hates his job? Work is this close to killing him? Why, he's the most relatable character since Spider-Man!

Wait a sec... Peter Parker gets his paycheques from the same guy who antagonizes him. It is Spider-Man.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

X-O posted:

Day 40: Punisher 2099

Subtle.

I think I'm going to adopt the template pose they settled on and try to stand that way whenever I can remember to.

"Who me? Just waiting in line at the checkout line standing there with my hands inverted and lifting my coat to show my rear end. What's the problem?"

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I love Punisher 2099. His appearance during Spider-Verse was also a good return, which someone should post the pages of.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I honestly think Punisher 2099 was just too good to last for its time. I have a feeling some people took it on faith that the story was 100% serious. I think a Punisher 2099 book in the same vein would sell better than a regular Punisher book right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

I honestly think Punisher 2099 was just too good to last for its time. I have a feeling some people took it on faith that the story was 100% serious.

Considering other comics of the era, it would've been very difficult to identify it as tongue-in-cheek.

• Locked thread