Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Jack ain't loving around now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Jack ain't playin' no games anymore...

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

This loving escalated.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
Holy poo poo Jack.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
They have formed Shiva mode

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Welp everyone died good night!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Always mind your surroundings

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
Did jack just go one punch man on that second one?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
It really must be said that this is ridiculously high quality. This is art.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I.

Jesus. I didn't expect that!

They spent way too much time characterizing the daughters for that to be it, so I think the three that fell survived.

Ashi, at the very least.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

DarklyDreaming posted:

Death is failure :geno:

I rewatched episodes 1 and 2 today in preparation for this, and that was something they were taught in their training.

And holy poo poo, did Jack ever stop pulling his punches. That was brutal.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Sardonik posted:

It really must be said that this is ridiculously high quality. This is art.

You could probably skip to a random frame of any episode so far, blow it up, print it out, and put it on your wall. The visual quality of this show is downright astonishing.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Holy poo poo Jack did you punch her so hard you broke her neck? :stare:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

VJeff posted:

I.

They spent way too much time characterizing the daughters for that to be it, so I think the three that fell survived.

Ashi, at the very least.

The one he knocked out would probably have issues surviving a fall if she was unconscious.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

VJeff posted:

I.

Ashi, at the very least.

Where you get that name? I thought they were all nameless.

edit for more stuff : OMG doing stuff on an all white background. The wolf is real.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 26, 2017

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

PhazonLink posted:

Where you get that name? I thought they were all nameless.

Her sisters call her Ashi in the first episode and her mother might too?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Jack's completed his transformation into a modern Snake Eyes with his New Dog Friend Timber™. I approve.

edit: also there was something darkly funny about Jack just letting Ashi drop as she ranted futilely at him. it was just so over the top.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Also man what was up with that frog?!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

VJeff posted:

Also man what was up with that frog?!

Pretty sure you can chock that one up to hallucination via severe loss of blood

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Acebuckeye13 posted:

But it still gave him useful info!

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You could probably skip to a random frame of any episode so far, blow it up, print it out, and put it on your wall. The visual quality of this show is downright astonishing.

The posters are back on asseenonadultswim.com as individual purchases

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

DarklyDreaming posted:

Death is failure :geno:

then I'm failing upwards! :dance:

I expected the daughters to be more of a challenge; I felt like the first few who fell should have been able to dodge those attacks Of course, the implication is that he's every bit as deadly when he knows what he's fighting. Ashi totally survived, but I wonder what her ultimate fate is?

e: also totally want more of the intro shots as posters.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

VJeff posted:

But it still gave him useful info!

Eh, all it says is "They're coming", which is pretty obvious, and well within the scope of things Jack's blood-loss addled mind could have projected onto the frog to keep him alert and moving.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Episode was really good in general. The shots with Jack and the wolf all bloodied up and tired really got to me. I also really enjoyed Jack and the wolf being all buddy-buddy, but that's probably because I'm a sucker for dogs and their wild cousins. :3:

Jack's comeback was really intense and impressively choreographed, but all I could think about during that sequence was the Daughters specifically being raised to assassinate Jack and being abused to that end. I definitely think that was intended to some degree, given the show reminded us with their confusion over the deer. Ashi most likely survived; I think she's going to try to kill Jack again and inadvertently reveal her hosed up family history to him through trash talk, after which she will either be persuaded to lay down her arms and maybe join him on his journey or die in a tragic conflict.

In any case, I look forward to the Mother's inevitable comeuppance.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

goddamn jack.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

VJeff posted:

Not really. Ashi's the only one that really had characterization because of that glimpse of the outside. The other ones were faceless assassins. Their only difference from every other schmoe in the series was being human (and also being really stealthy).

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Frankly in the crazy world of Samurai Jack with its scatting robot assassins, I wouldn't doubt the possibility of a talking frog being around. I mean the first episode of the series has Jack defend some talking dogs.

That said, you're probably right.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Eh, all it says is "They're coming", which is pretty obvious, and well within the scope of things Jack's blood-loss addled mind could have projected onto the frog to keep him alert and moving.

Okay, but.

But.

BUT.

What if.

Jack is Friend to All Animals and the frog was helping him the way the wolf was?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

TwoPair posted:

I mean the first episode of the series has Jack defend some talking dogs.

Even dogs don't deserve to be treated like dogs.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, potential spoilers for the future.

At least Ashi survived

This whole god damned episode was magnificent though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Onmi posted:

This whole god damned episode was magnificent though.

You could say that about the entire season at this point. The level of quality is just so utterly staggering, and

Acebuckeye13 posted:

God drat this show is so good you guys

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I was expecting Jack to fight them and just kinda slow them down. Tire them out, injure them enough so he can easily escape. But nope, just loving massacred them. That was the most startling and amazing thing in the season so far.

I just really hope that Ashi doesn't become a permanent companion to Jack. He should always travel alone, only partnering up with someone for an episode before moving on.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Episode was great, if a little underwhelming relative to the past two episodes.

Blue Jack was hosed up, the blood scenes were cool, the use of white on black was great, and Jack just coldly letting Ashi drop mid-rant was the most shocking part. I expected a more cliche resolution like Ashi begging to be spared and converting then and there to be helped back up, but nope. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In retrospect, that's the only thing Ashi could do. She has no social skills. She has none of the wisdom or maturity Jack gained in his training that is such a huge part of how adaptive and clever he is. She doesn't have the lessons Jack gained from his father that we saw in this episode give him strength and clarity at his lowest moments.

All she and her sisters have is the combat lessons and rhetoric their mother beat into them. Emotionally, she's still a child, so with no other option, she just ranted at Jack like a child.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Episode was great, if a little underwhelming relative to the past two episodes.

Blue Jack was hosed up, the blood scenes were cool, the use of white on black was great, and Jack just coldly letting Ashi drop mid-rant was the most shocking part. I expected a more cliche resolution like Ashi begging to be spared and converting then and there to be helped back up, but nope. :v:

Based on Jack's look he's probably heard the same rant a thousand times.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
What really stuck out to me in that fight was how Jack just instantly took out two of them right at the start. When Jack is on his A game, he is terrifying.

Also his dad cut that dude in half.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Told you guys Jack wouldn't have any moral issues with killing humans. Freaked him out, sure, but he did grow up among warriors who didn't have any robots handy to kill.

I also have to say it's kind of funny how people are reacting to Jack's brutal Daughter takedowns when he spent the entire show doing much worse to humanoid robots. But then I suppose that's related to why the older seasons could only show robot deaths...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GLOSS posted:

Welp everyone died good night!

I would have laughed if the friendly wolf ate Jack. But instead it was :3:

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Told you guys Jack wouldn't have any moral issues with killing humans. Freaked him out, sure, but he did grow up among warriors who didn't have any robots handy to kill.

I also have to say it's kind of funny how people are reacting to Jack's brutal Daughter takedowns when he spent the entire show doing much worse to humanoid robots. But then I suppose that's related to why the older seasons could only show robot deaths...

Show is hella good.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I just really hope that Ashi doesn't become a permanent companion to Jack. He should always travel alone, only partnering up with someone for an episode before moving on.

There are only seven episodes left in the whole series, though?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Whelp. Glad I decided to catch up on a cartoon I watched when I was a kid.

Also, holy loving poo poo. That was brutal as hell. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

This show needs to win all the awards. I am in awe of just how amazing every single frame of this episode was. It's art.

• Locked thread