Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'm just spreading my truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
The prequels are a grind and a half to watch because for the most part they're visually kinda dull, but Hbomb's interpretation of it, along with some of the recontextualization of those events that happen in the recent Extended Universe works (by which I mean the most recent Darth Vader comic by Gillen and Larroca, which is pretty aces), made them more interesting to me, in a way where I can see why they are worthwhile and how they fit together. Which ultimately might be all a critic should aim for, and it may have influenced how I see films like BvS and Suicide Squad.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Hbomberguy posted:

I had a really depressing engineering job in 2015 based in London that took me away from a close friend in the last year he had left of his life, and I dealt with that by being needlessly argumentative in forum threads in downtimes on jobs. At the time it seemed somehow like a good idea to labour the points I was making, but in retrospect I can easily see the problems I was going through showing up in a need to argue about nonsense. All I can do is apologise.

Looking back over my posts, almost immediately following the day I quit and moved home to help with the funeral there's a very sharp decline in the frequency of my posting even though I had way more free time. I think understanding that my own behaviour was a response to real problems elsewhere led to me having a better understanding of the people I discuss in my own work.

Either way, I've come to quite enjoy your video work. There are some people who emotionally and intellectually evolve, and those who never muster the self-awareness to truly change. I think people need to be more willing to accept those who reckon with their immature pasts and move forward and not hold things against them in perpetuity. Of course there are plenty whose past behavior remains relevant because it's prologue to their current shittiness.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

ElNarez posted:

The prequels are a grind and a half to watch because for the most part they're visually kinda dull, but Hbomb's interpretation of it, along with some of the recontextualization of those events that happen in the recent Extended Universe works (by which I mean the most recent Darth Vader comic by Gillen and Larroca, which is pretty aces), made them more interesting to me, in a way where I can see why they are worthwhile and how they fit together. Which ultimately might be all a critic should aim for, and it may have influenced how I see films like BvS and Suicide Squad.

The novelization of Revenge of the Sith by Matthew Stover is really good and also recontextualizes the movie in neat ways. Or a neat way. Most of it is just better written but there's at least one part that I definitely remember changing how I viewed the story.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lotta meltdowns on Youtube over the Yooka Laylee thing. Really goes to show how much these people are incapable of just enjoying their lives without their loyalty to white supremacy getting in the way.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

between that poo poo and the fur fun poo poo, i've decided that banjo-kazooie fans are loving nutters

well that and the fact that banjo-kazooie was always a bad game to begin with

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

financially racist posted:

fite me irl

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Factually incorrect.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

between that poo poo and the fur fun poo poo, i've decided that banjo-kazooie fans are loving nutters

I think a lot of the people melting down over Yooka Laylee were not even aware of the game before JonTron was pulled.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I think a lot of the people melting down over Yooka Laylee were not even aware of the game before JonTron was pulled.

There's been reports of dozens of preorders cancelled.

Dozens of them!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Looks like Lindsay is having a stream tonight with some special guests, like Hbomberguy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

this is entirely possible since i imagine most of jontrons fans are younger than banjo-kazooie is or weren't old enough to have any cultural knowledge of the game when it was current

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

Looks like Lindsay is having a stream tonight with some special guests, like Hbomberguy.

link? I hope they announce a superteam.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just found it on her twitter. ContraPoints will be there too! It's about building a public identity on the internet, but I hope they just build a superteam already.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Banjo kazooie was good for it time, aged to poo poo like a good chunk of games in the late 90's for tech reasons. Rare IMO was always over hype since their was the 2nd biggest dev on the N64 when 3rd party support was total poo poo and it keep the system afloat between Nintendo releases.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
EDIT: Old post, didn't refresh the thread.

psutify
Oct 19, 2012

Trojan Kaiju posted:

There's been reports of dozens of preorders cancelled.

Dozens of them!

Yesterday I cancelled my steam pre-order because I realized I'd rather play it on the Switch with a controller, so I'm one of those DOZENS and it has gently caress all to do with JonTron, seriously gently caress JonTron. The toybox demo was really good.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

psutify posted:

Yesterday I cancelled my steam pre-order because I realized I'd rather play it on the Switch with a controller, so I'm one of those DOZENS and it has gently caress all to do with JonTron, seriously gently caress JonTron. The toybox demo was really good.

good call, since you can play it on the go, gently caress i want a switch even though it have 1 game atm.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jimbot posted:

To be fair, the people who dislike the DC films often are the ones who never want to engage or elaborate their opinions in discourse and those who do like the films are often labeled as people with weird/bad taste in films or bending over backwards to like garbage, despite writing a whole heck a lot on it. When someone does, it usually boils down to not liking the interpretation of the character - it's why "NOT MY SUPERMAN" is a meme. It's what most of it boils down to.

Edit: For example, I could write, and it's the truth, that I love the two films in part because it turns the whole fascist power fantasy element that's prominent in all these comic book films on its head by showing that fighting problems with your fists is a dangerous affair with lots of collateral damage and those who embrace that mentality are unhinged broken people. I could post that anywhere on this forum and except for the actual movie topic and, maybe, the Comic Book Movie Megathread (which often goes into multi-page discussions on the film) I'd be called crazy or making poo poo up to trick myself into liking the film.
I think it is because there are people that don't like the idea that the things they like are inherently fascist and that they don't want to go pay money and watch a superhero movie that subverts the plot and characters; especially not in a tentpole Superman movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just didn't like the character as presented in the film. Just seemed weak overall. He had a much better arc in the extended BVS though.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I liked Man of Steel... Though I'm not that big of a Superman fan and I haven't read any Superman comics.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I mean I don't think there's a lot of engagement to my opinion of "I don't like to watch movies about Dour Men punching things." Also the DC movies seem to have a lot of flaws from a filmmaking perspective, which would fall under "bad" in my book.

Of course, I don't talk about it because I really don't care much about the capes movies beyond enjoying some of the Marvel ones. They're all bog standard blockbusters that will probably be forgotten in a decade or so.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lindsay's stream is live now. Hbomb giving realtalk about what it's like to be hbomb.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

achillesforever6 posted:

I think it is because there are people that don't like the idea that the things they like are inherently fascist and that they don't want to go pay money and watch a superhero movie that subverts the plot and characters; especially not in a tentpole Superman movie.

just because it subverts tropes doesn't automatically make it a good story or well-executed.

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 26, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hello to you too Hbomberguy

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is ContraPoints (Dan?) adding pasties to David's nipples? That is a very region-specific pun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cyron posted:

good call, since you can play it on the go, gently caress i want a switch even though it have 1 game atm.

To be fair, Fast RMX and the online-enabled NEOGEO games on the eShop are excellent. Retail-title-wise, of course...

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also, good point from Lindsay on Anita Sarkeesian appearing hostile and aggressive when contextualized on youtube because people come to youtube to feel like they belong. But also it's probably partially because there's just a huge overlap between anti-intellectualism, nerds, and reactionaries that we're just starting to discover.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I think that there's literally no way for a woman talking about feminist issues to not be interpreted as hostile and aggressive.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

just because it subverts tropes doesn't automatically make it a good story or well-executed.

I'd say MoS double subverted, zig zagged, and then reconstructed the tropes, only in the end to avert them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Golden One got dumped. Maybe now he'll dump the pan-european whiteness and talk about the inferiority of the swarthy peoples or hibernian blood or whatever ethnicity she was. I can't even pity him. He's disgusting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DStecks posted:

I think that there's literally no way for a woman talking about feminist issues to not be interpreted as hostile and aggressive.

That's true of course. The mere presence of women on the internet causes those people to feel assaulted. The Cracked podcast (it's very good; not like the website) has been doing some discussion lately of how the comments on the cracked youtube channel instantly became hostile and defensive any time a woman appeared, regardless of what she mentioned.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I'm really enjoying this crossover episode.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

This is becoming a very crowded clown car.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That was really very good. I hope they do more of those. I can really see dialogues like these being a counterforce to all the bad nazi womanhater poo poo that's been bubbling out of youtube. Good call by Nick (?) that youtube atheism was the true cradle for mra and gamergate rhetoric. In many ways it really was like the Spanish Civil War dress rehearsal for what's happening right now.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Missed the stream. Guess I'll have to wait till it's up on YouTube.

I should really pay attention to twitter more, if it was just two hours then I would have been home from work when it started and could have watched the whole thing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

The Golden One got dumped. Maybe now he'll dump the pan-european whiteness and talk about the inferiority of the swarthy peoples or hibernian blood or whatever ethnicity she was. I can't even pity him. He's disgusting.

I mean, what woman wouldn't want to date a grossly proportioned anti-semetic fascist who juvenilely pretends to be some sort of hyper-masculine idealized power fantasy hybrid of pop cultural interpretations about Vikings and Spartans who thinks that she is inherently worth less as a human being than he is purely because she is a woman?

That's the kind of man you take home to mother... and then stand by mortified of as he calls her a degenerate oval office, tells her to make him a sandwich and then slaps her on the rear end as she walks away in disgust from him.

Unless of course Skeletor happens to be single, in which case he's a far better catch.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
At first glance, I found TheGoldenOne to be kinda attractive. And then he opened his mouth. NOPE.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Jack Gladney posted:

That was really very good. I hope they do more of those. I can really see dialogues like these being a counterforce to all the bad nazi womanhater poo poo that's been bubbling out of youtube. Good call by Nick (?) that youtube atheism was the true cradle for mra and gamergate rhetoric. In many ways it really was like the Spanish Civil War dress rehearsal for what's happening right now.

i foresaw that poo poo miles away, like i understand that people done some awful poo poo in the name of god, but online atheist think anyone who have faith is a lesser human being even if you use your faith to help others in need, it was build on hate and feeling superior to others.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/LarryBundyJr/status/845493589778087936

That's got to be a nightmare for some producers...

• Locked thread