Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

cmndstab posted:

It's an idiotic rule. Pretty much any rule that requires players to specify what they're going to do in advance and then not react to what actually happens is a stupid rule.

It'd be like having forwards nominate who is going to fly for the mark.

I agree, only one ruck for the centre bounce is dumb af and should be scrapped immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://mobile.twitter.com/BAndersonSEN/status/845565641994100737

:chanpop:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

snoremac posted:

Can someone who watched the game explain the Ess vs. Haw result to me??? I get that all the drug dudes returned but still...

Did they suffer from the absence of Lewis and Mitchell?

They do, the on-field intelligence is gone. They have new players who haven't learnt to think on their feet with each other which will take time. But it's also the first game of the season, the smart guys are saying it's not going to be predictable.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

snoremac posted:

Can someone who watched the game explain the Ess vs. Haw result to me??? I get that all the drug dudes returned but still...

Did they suffer from the absence of Lewis and Mitchell?

Hawks are old and slow, Essendon exposed that with their quicker players. The Hawks were also missing their leaders in Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis. The new guys in O'Meara, Mitchell and Vickery don't play like the old Hawthorn from the sounds of things, lots of selfishness or hacked kicks forward out of a contest instead spotting a loose man.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I agree, only one ruck for the centre bounce is dumb af and should be scrapped immediately

Robert Walls' account uncovered

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
richmond being on top of the ladder (no matter how temporarily) doesn't sit well with me

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ewe2 posted:

They do, the on-field intelligence is gone. They have new players who haven't learnt to think on their feet with each other which will take time. But it's also the first game of the season, the smart guys are saying it's not going to be predictable.

My take on it:

Hawthorn rocked up to the game not expecting the bombers to actually show up.
The Hawks then gave away a large number of really dumb frees.
Then proceeded to believe all the way through the third that "they'll drop off, any minute now".

The kicking was very poor and very unhawthornlike, and they seemed to want to do what the Dogs did last year with manic pressure.

It's not an alarm bells thing, because O'Meara and Mitchell will get better and will fit into the side more (although nothing can be done about Ty Vickery, jfc what were they thinking?) and as they do the team will probably start to revert to what is expected of a Hawthorn team in so far as kicking and composure.

I don't think that having Lewis or Sam Mitchell would have changed that result dramatically.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Yeah I think anyone who thinks it's alarm bells because Hawthorn lost their first game of the season with quite a new look team is probably being a bit over the top. I'd say there are probably just 3 elements at play: they underestimated Essendon; Essendon are potentially better/better prepared than most thought; and Hawthorn will just take a bit of time to click with a new look team. They'll click into gear soon enough I'm guessing and while it might not be the same dominant Hawthorn team as we all know and hate, it'll be a pretty competitive Hawthorn team we all hate

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Don't discount Essendon's effort though. They played a great game, ran really, really hard all night, and didn't fall over when Hawthorn came at them in the third quarter.

Even discounting the dramas of the last few years, the Bombers rarely string four quarters of good footy together. It was fantastic to see them run out the game.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Hawthorn are undertaking a highly aggressive rebuild, but its still a rebuild. Shouldn't be surprising that they lose a few

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Lol eat poo poo Thomas.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gonna miss the girls presentation because Adelaide metro are loving incompetent, and three seasons in still can't get the AFL train schedule working, 200 people standing on the platform watching every train go past because it's full

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

So is Carlisle the only returning drug cheat that didn't get a win (except Hibberd due to injury)?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Walker out for the Crows, replaced by the incredibly undeserving Riley Knight, a weedy outside mid

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm at the football in shorts and a t-shirt and it's hot as rear end this isn't right

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Betts uncharacteristically inaccurate here

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

This is one of the worst goalkicking efforts I've seen in football today from North.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Lol at champion data showing the Eagles' elite and above average players and Gaff is in neither category

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Kennedy: 7.0
Waite: 1.7

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Good to see Matt crouch has added a new facet, to his game, fumbling simple handballs for turnover goals.

That family is a loving anchor on this club.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Pretty decent effort by the Eagles in the end, however North missed plenty of easy shots on goal and faded badly in the second half. Won't be getting carried away.

Vardy looks promising, Sam Mitchell is still Sam Mitchell and Drew Petrie would be an average EJ Whitten all-star these days

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Umpiring standard declines with every passing week

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

West Coast have knocked the Tigers off the top of the ladder.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

BrigadierSensible posted:

West Coast have knocked the Tigers off the top of the ladder.

no they haven't

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Crows would be miles in front if we could kick

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

strap on revenge posted:

no they haven't

Whoops. I maths bad. I thought that because they won by more that it would put them ahead. Forgot to calculate percentage etc.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

We're actually kicking goals and now we're winning! Who would've thunk it?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:aaaaa: that soccer goal

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

put both hands in posted:

Kennedy: 7.0
Waite: 1.7

This is a joke right?

*checks stats*

:vince:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Crows look amazing

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

realbez posted:

Crows look amazing

:hfive:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

GWS can't get any fans to a game when they can't give out tickets at primary schools.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Umpires trying really loving hard to keep GWS in it, missing the most blatant holds you've ever seen in your life at every contest

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lynch ridden into the turf like a mare at flemington, no free kick

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
lmbo that rule

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

loving joke

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
we're gonna lose by 100 points next week :ohdear:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

If the Crows player took it then the umpire would called deliberate even though Patton was holding onto him, what's he supposed to do?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
This seems like a pretty high scoring round. I feel like the same thing happened early last year before the coaches tightened up the defenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Testekill posted:

If the Crows player took it then the umpire would called deliberate even though Patton was holding onto him, what's he supposed to do?

knock it sideways or knock it down and try to kick it or grab it and handball it sideways or just get out of the way and let Patton kick the goal because there isn't really much you can hope for if you're more than 9m out

• Locked thread