Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutuerBear
Feb 22, 2006
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPW_lwU_Hwc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tJZ0LNYzhY

I love this guy's videos, because it's a completely sincere in-depth analysis of loving Walking Dead episodes, and it's actually very insightful.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Acacia REI posted:

IDK I like FTWD for all the ridiculous dumb poo poo that happens, and the settings are all infinitely more interesting. At this point I'll take the middle of the Pacific Ocean over 7 seasons of "forest, and suburban neighborhoods within forest." My heart kind of sank when I happened across a comic spoiler and found out they are still currently in Alexandria in the comics. At least in FTWD they have pretty big changes in setting every season/half a season. And all the dumb drama and plot armor is entertaining for me. In TWD all they do is stare at each other and mutter some of the worst dialog I've ever heard in a TV show while stretching every other episode out way longer than they need to be.

Also I heard in season 3 they're bringing Daniel back.

echoing this

i like FTWD more than TWD mainly for the fact that zombies are actually still something to be feared and not minor nuisances or just background scenery for the soap opera characters to act around

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Luvcow posted:

echoing this

i like FTWD more than TWD mainly for the fact that zombies are actually still something to be feared and not minor nuisances or just background scenery for the soap opera characters to act around

Right? I know there are less zombie-kills in FTWD (lol budget) but I like that it actually takes some effort to kill them when it does happen. The zombies in TWD can be taken out with a plastic letter-opener at this point.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I thought that was cool on season 1 but they're just as dumb and fragile as standard Walking Dead zombies by season 2.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So AMC put out a bunch of photos showing at least some of the Sasha outcome.

Never learn, AMC.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

So AMC put out a bunch of photos showing at least some of the Sasha outcome.

Never learn, AMC.

Link that poo poo, god I hope it's what I think it is

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I thought that was cool on season 1 but they're just as dumb and fragile as standard Walking Dead zombies by season 2.

It still takes actual force to kill them though. In TWD any character can casually stride through the forest gently knifing any walker that approaches them with such ease that I wonder why it's even being shown. It's not compelling or exciting and does nothing but fill some kind of walker-quota each episode has. At least in FTWD they still have to put force into their blows and the zombies' skulls aren't made of jello.

That's another thing I appreciate about the TWD Tell Tale games. There's about 2 years in between each game which means in the 2nd game, they are at about the same area on the timeline as the show is right now but the zombies still feel like an actual threat.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Fear WD shows characters putting like an ounce of zombie gore on them and becoming completely invisible, that neutered them as a threat pretty quickly for me. At least when they do it in the main show it takes a sickening amount, so it's a little more understandable that they don't do it every time. Just spraying a little on your shirt's not a big deal.

The game does pretty much everything better than the show or comic, even if I thought season 2 was a big step down.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Eh, they've never been particularly consistent with zombie-camo in the main series and honestly I think it's kind of dumb that they don't use it more. Like I can understand not wanting to be covered in rotting flesh and intestines but then in S3 they have Michonne show up at the prison fence with the baby supplies barely covered in blood having no problem blending in with the walkers (this was after she killed her zombie-pets). Then with the whole dumpster mess with Glenn. From what it looked like when they revealed he was still alive, he stabbed and killed walkers from underneath the dumpster until he was covered in blood and they lost interest. But when he emerged, he didn't have a ton of it on him either. The amount of how much zombie gore you need for camo to work changes to fit the plot.

There's sort of a BTS story of why they watered it down so much in FTWD. Apparently they let the actors apply it themselves so at first, Nick's actor was drenching himself in it. Unsurprisingly, that poo poo's really nasty and uncomfortable to be covered in for hours on end during filming so when he realized everyone else was just putting the bare-minimum on, he started doing the same. Which makes me feel bad for the actors who get cast as the Whisperers when they get to that arc in the main show.

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 24, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Johnny Truant posted:

Link that poo poo, god I hope it's what I think it is

It's just Sasha in a cell. Looking from what spoiler sites are posting, they're giving Sasha Holly's storyline.

What the spoiler sites are saying: Sasha gets captured. A savior tries to rape her but Negan stops it from happening. She talks to Eugene and says she needs help so she doesn't become a tool for Negan to use over Rick. Eugene gives her the suicide pills (not the kinda help she was expecting). My guess is she'll take them and the rest will play like Holly.

Also Rosita brings Dwight back to Alexandria as he's switching sides. Rick isn't buying it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fear WD shows characters putting like an ounce of zombie gore on them and becoming completely invisible, that neutered them as a threat pretty quickly for me. At least when they do it in the main show it takes a sickening amount, so it's a little more understandable that they don't do it every time. Just spraying a little on your shirt's not a big deal.

The game does pretty much everything better than the show or comic, even if I thought season 2 was a big step down.

Season 3 is a big step up again. It's been really good so far, but I'm only 2 episodes in - 3rd is coming out soon.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Acacia REI posted:

Apparently they let the actors apply it themselves so at first, Nick's actor was drenching himself in it. Unsurprisingly, that poo poo's really nasty and uncomfortable to be covered in for hours on end during filming so when he realized everyone else was just putting the bare-minimum on, he started doing the same.

"When I realized that no one else was putting effort into this poo poo show, I totally stopped putting in that extra mile."

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

"When I realized that no one else was putting effort into this poo poo show, I totally stopped putting in that extra mile."

Yeah, he talked about it in some interview. He pretty much just said "gently caress it" when he realized no one else was doing it and I can't even really blame him haha

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Acacia REI posted:

It still takes actual force to kill them though. In TWD any character can casually stride through the forest gently knifing any walker that approaches them with such ease that I wonder why it's even being shown. It's not compelling or exciting and does nothing but fill some kind of walker-quota each episode has. At least in FTWD they still have to put force into their blows and the zombies' skulls aren't made of jello.

It was kinda silly when Carol killed 5 walkers and the Kingdom guards were totally blown away by it. Yeah, it doesn't look that difficult really. Swing bat/sword/axe - move your feet in rapid succession to stay out of range - repeat x 5. I think I could swing a bat five times and manage to not fall over. Seems totally doable.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
The dude who plays Aaron is an insanely good impressionist. Like unbelievably good. No youtube link as best I can tell, but this page has it: http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/news/a54060/ross-marquand-impressions/

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Season 3 is a big step up again. It's been really good so far, but I'm only 2 episodes in - 3rd is coming out soon.

Wait, FTWD's new season is airing now?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

I have the second season DVRed. Worth watching for the lols?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Fog Tripper posted:

I have the second season DVRed. Worth watching for the lols?

No. I felt dumb for wasting my time on it. There are some insane moments like that but it's mostly just very dull.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

melon cat posted:

I spent too loving long making this .gif. :suicide:

worth it

Bates posted:

It was kinda silly when Carol killed 5 walkers and the Kingdom guards were totally blown away by it. Yeah, it doesn't look that difficult really. Swing bat/sword/axe - move your feet in rapid succession to stay out of range - repeat x 5. I think I could swing a bat five times and manage to not fall over. Seems totally doable.

Didnt she literally sit in a tree and zombies walkers walk into a signpost that impaled their skulls like they were made of puff pastry?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 24, 2017

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

Didnt she literally sit in a tree and zombies walkers walk into a signpost that impaled their skulls like they were made of puff pastry?

Yes. You hold out a stick and they walk into it and kill themselves.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
speaking of the walking dead and street signs did anyone ever make a gif of maggie swinging that street sign around as a weapon? Google doesn't show anything but the CGI was as bad as the deer.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No. I felt dumb for wasting my time on it. There are some insane moments like that but it's mostly just very dull.

I don't know, your hate watching level may vary. If any of the following makes you laugh, maybe:

- A guy standing in the road reloading his gun while a mob of zombies approaches him like the Austin Powers forklift gang, only to be eaten by a pack of zombies and possibly a main character
- Two different people being warned that the Cartel will gently caress you up if you steal from them. They proceed to steal from them, and threaten them while charging into backrooms screaming.
- A group that decides they have to flee a settlement, then we see the attack show up and it's like 12 dudes creeping up a hillside with beautiful sight lines through hundreds of zombies, like one dude with a rifle could have hosed them
- A time traveling airplane I keep mentioning with a guy still bleeding out after the crash, weeks after the outbreak when it took off
- The group of main characters laying waste to settlement and group after group, literally stealing tricks from TWD villains without being aware of it
- People screaming "family! Family!" while giving away the position of their settlement to roving packs of psychos
- A main character going psycho and deciding shooting anyone that's even mildly injured is cool, as pulling a Hound and eating every chicken in the place instead of getting eggs
- A continued running theme of "Maybe we can be like, in tune with the nature of zombies, man and all get along and like, use the zombie" that gets worse and worse
- I could probably fill a 50 page article with the list of stupid

And literally only Strand is remotely reasonable in the whole group, everyone else is just total full-bore psycho. Honestly that's the way to slog through the show is to just admit to yourself that the main characters are the flat out loving villains. I only wish the show caught onto that fact and embraced it with a little more self-awareness, because it could be really a different kind of thing then.

Also kind of a shame because deviating from the comics and making the ultimately monstrous Fear characters the main villains of a TWD season would have been honestly more entertaining than you might give credit for.

ED: One of my favorite Fear moments is when Madison finds the stupid Mexican cult lady pulling a Herschel and her reaction is to lock her in with the zombies then set her on fire. I should note they were not being held prisoner. They were free to go, except the war criminal who suddenly lost his mind and she knew NOTHING about that. Like I said, the show is full bore villains. Their only end goal if they want to try to re-rail the show is to twist the whole "The walking dead is US" gimmick into the "The walking dead is us, and you should fear us because we're loving evil hardcore psychopaths."

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 24, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Space Crabs posted:

speaking of the walking dead and street signs did anyone ever make a gif of maggie swinging that street sign around as a weapon? Google doesn't show anything but the CGI was as bad as the deer.

Honestly some of the CGI has been so bad this season I half think they're trolling people with it.

I mean like, ABC fantasy or sci-fi shows have better CGI and they look like they're FMV games off a Sega CD half the time.

Johnny Truant posted:

Wait, FTWD's new season is airing now?

No I meant Telltale's game. aka the best thing in the Walking Dead franchise

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

aka the best thing in the Walking Dead franchise

I think that's turning the show off, tbh

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

JossiRossi posted:

The dude who plays Aaron is an insanely good impressionist. Like unbelievably good. No youtube link as best I can tell, but this page has it: http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/news/a54060/ross-marquand-impressions/

gently caress, that was excellent. He had me at Tony Soprano does The Godfather. Dude got skillz, yo.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: One of my favorite Fear moments is when Madison finds the stupid Mexican cult lady pulling a Herschel and her reaction is to lock her in with the zombies then set her on fire. I should note they were not being held prisoner. They were free to go, except the war criminal who suddenly lost his mind and she knew NOTHING about that. Like I said, the show is full bore villains. Their only end goal if they want to try to re-rail the show is to twist the whole "The walking dead is US" gimmick into the "The walking dead is us, and you should fear us because we're loving evil hardcore psychopaths."
They condensed pretty much the whole farm season of TWD down to two episodes but like if Rick murdered Hershel after finding out about the zombie barn and then Shane set everything on fire.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Acacia REI posted:

They condensed pretty much the whole farm season of TWD down to two episodes but like if Rick murdered Hershel after finding out about the zombie barn and then Shane set everything on fire.

You make FTWD sound too appealing with that description.

I will say if once the Negan arc is over, if looking down at the flaming ruins of the Saviors, the silhouettes of the FTWD cast was cast over the ground you would know that poo poo is about to go down and Rick and crew are fuuuucked. No one has the destructive power of that weird awful family.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

JossiRossi posted:

I will say if once the Negan arc is over, if looking down at the flaming ruins of the Saviors, the silhouettes of the FTWD cast was cast over the ground you would know that poo poo is about to go down and Rick and crew are fuuuucked. No one has the destructive power of that weird awful family.

They were the ones who decimated the saviors. They didn't even do it on purpose. It just kind of happened.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

JossiRossi posted:

Look up Ross Marquand nanoimpressions on Youtube, he's got at least two videos that I remember and both are great.

e: I'm at a desktop now, have some links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFXTxQPV79w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTtngvXEOHg

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 24, 2017

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

JossiRossi posted:

holy poo poo yes

Acacia REI posted:

They were the ones who decimated the saviors. They didn't even do it on purpose. It just kind of happened.

really would save this season of TWD

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

JossiRossi posted:

Nicks penchant for zombieflage is just foreshadowing and the origin story for the Whisperers.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Luvcow posted:

holy poo poo yes

really would save this season of TWD

If the ratings keep plummeting and AMC decides to pull the plug on TWD in the next few years, I hope the writers just say "gently caress it" for the final season and make something like that happen. Just combine both shows and make them fight each other.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JossiRossi posted:

The totally best way to do it is have Rick find another group of survivors and try to recruit them to join the war against Negan, only to reveal.. he's recruited the Fear group, which means anyone associated with them is utterly and completely screwed.

Rick would bring them guns and get shot in the back by any one of them, while they cry about being the good guys in all this.

ED: The other day I saw a Fear the Walking Dead Chris action figure and laughed my loving rear end off, I want to know who the hell bought one of those. Maybe there's someone out there collecting D-List character action figures?

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

melon cat posted:

I spent too loving long making this .gif. :suicide:

You are doing the Lord's work.

So I missed the last couple of weeks and just now caught up. I legitimately liked the Morgan and Carol episode. Maybe it was just because it had almost every cast member I liked in this show. If they added Eugene and Stephen Ogg it would have been perfect. I know its goon consensus but the "I'm too old for this poo poo" Saviour leader is gold. In that one moment he sent his problem child walking home you saw sympathy and irritation underneath his weary demeanour. Also loved the fact that he waited until the Kingdom guys returned. It's a deliberate concession that someone in his position might very well make and smarter writing than I expected from TWD. Really enjoyed it and made me glad I'm still sticking around for Carol, Morgan and King Zeke.

Then I watched the Sasha and Rosita episode. Ugh. The episode had a few moments of decency that were every moment that Rosita was not on the screen. Training montage? A little silly but team building and all of that. Simon and the Mayor going back and forth? gently caress yeah. Stephen Ogg is just so drat fine at conveying a scary bloody dude. He makes jokes and can be so personable but underneath? Its not blatant psycho or cold monster like you expect. You aren't sure what it is... but you know whatever it is is just itching to get out and you do not want that to happen. Seriously nice to see from a tremendous actor and I hope he gets even more recognition from it.

Other than that the episode went full retard. Rosita irritates me so horribly and her character has gone beyond salvation (for me at least). I don't care about her actual on screen death as I know it will be brain damaging.... I just want her off my screen. I sincerely hope that Sasha Jenkins is permanently gone. She left the show as she started and how she was for most of the duration: dumb.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Here's how you kill a ton of zombies along with awesome music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ab-CCr9Ap4

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
So is Rick going to blow up the Oceanside gun shed or is someone else or does the psycho kid do it or is it loving Chris

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Von_Doom posted:

Other than that the episode went full retard.

Remember the episode Carol ran off? That one is often overlooked but I still remember thinking Daryl rushed off to find Carol, only to find out that the characters were actually leaving the walls because they got sick of having security, I guess? Daryl literally charges straight into a enemy territory on his own and lasts like 10 seconds.

Worst part is, all of that sudden stupidity of people suddenly charging Savior territory for no reason whatsoever was worthless from a writing POV; they all ended up at the same spot anyway. Everyone that got captured being a total loving idiot COULD have been captured as a scouting party for the main group, or just with the main group, and it'd not changed the plot.

This is honestly the most I've face palmed since then.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"Okay, so after all that they at least learn their lesson that this isn't some small group and they can't be splitting themselves up to take them on single-handedly, right?" I asked about a year ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Looking forward to another episode of dumb idiots making bad decisions spaced out over an hour.

How many eps left in this season?